Start by marking “Mooncake” as Want to Read:

Mooncake (Moonbear #3)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  329 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Unknown Binding, 28 pages
Published January 1st 1983 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Mooncake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mooncake

Owen
*contains spoilers*

In this book, Asch tackles many subjects: ambition, fear of the unknown, conflict with one's biological urges, xenophobia, and duty. Bear's devotion to his goals leads him to overcome fear of the unknown and attempt to head to the moon. His friend Little Bird cannot participate, for he has obligations to help lead his flock's annual migration. Bear continues on without his friend, only to succumb to his body's demand for hibernation. Bear believes he makes it to the moon and s
Vivian
Bear wants to taste the moon.
He shoots a spoon attached to an arrow towards the moon.
It misses.
So Bear and his friend Little Bird spend the summer building a rocket built from junk so they can fly to the moon.
Fall comes and Little Bird flies south before the rocket is finished.
Bear climbs aboard as the last leaves fall and begins the countdown.
He falls asleep by the end of his countdown. Snow falls. The wind blows.
Bear wakes up when the wind blows his rocket over. He thinks he is on the moon.
Be
Macy
This is a story of the determined, hardworking, and inventive main character named Bear. One day Bear and his trusty side-kick, Little Bird, were watching the moon when they realized that they were hungry and that is when Bear comes up with the idea to take a bite out of the moon for he thinks it will be delicious. After one failed attempt at reaching the moon, Little Bird and Bear decide to build a rocket ship all summer long to help them travel to the moon. Bear enters in the rocket ship and ...more
Lauren Marotta
Mooncake is an adorable book for young children. A cute fluffy bear decides one day that he wants to know what the moon taste like. He stops for nothing and makes a space ship in order for him to get to the moon. When the spaceship is built we read about bear counting down until he takes off. This really helps young children with learning how to count. The short, simple, and fun illustrations really match the context of the book perfectly.

This book shows young children to reach for the stars in
Kaitlin
Bear and his best friend Little Bird are staring at the night sky when they both realize that they are hungry! Bear tells his friend that he wishes he could eat the Moon because it looks so delicious! Little Bird is a little leery of eating the moon because it is so far away but Bear goes into his house and forms a spoon ended bow and arrow and tries to get a scoop out of the moon. His plan fails but Bear is determined to have a bite! The next day, Bear gathers materials and builds a rocket with ...more
Edward Lee
So the story is revolving around a little bird and a bear relaxing by a tree in the middle of the night. When one of them begins to get hungry, the bear decides, "Hey I wanna eat the moon". So he grabbed a bow and arrow, tied a spoon to it, and tried shooting the moon, but to no avail. Then the bird suggests bear build a rocket ship (cause you know, making a bowl of soup is SO much harder then mastering astro-physics). After months of working on the project, the bird flies home to see his family ...more
Mika Perez
Although interesting, Mooncake struggles to hold my attention past the nice illustrations. I chose this book because it looked cute, with the little bear on the front, but it seemed a bit too simple - which would actually be great for those first and second graders. Not only that, there seemed to be quite a few words on each page and some of it just seemed...unneeded. For a library for kids this is a good book, but you'll want younger kids because the older ones may not be paying attention after ...more
Alice
I did not like this book...I was wondering If I was missing something so I read the first 5 star review I saw. I found one by OWEN and I have included it!

"In this book, Asch tackles many subjects: ambition, fear of the unknown, conflict with one's biological urges, xenophobia, and duty. Bear's devotion to his goals leads him to overcome fear of the unknown and attempt to head to the moon. His friend Little Bird cannot participate, for he has obligations to help lead his flock's annual migration.
Meg McGregor
Another in the series of Moon books featuring Bear and his friend, Little Bird.

Both Little Bird and Bear are fascinated by the Moon.

Bear decides he will build a rocket ship to find out exactly what the moon is made of.

Little readers will love going along for the ride.

What does the Moon taste like? Your little ones will have to listen to find out.

Again, I love the story but really wish the artwork was more brilliant. It is so dull and just doesn't capture the imagination.
Monique
I have always been fond of the Frank Asch series featuring Bear and his friend Little Bird. This latest title in the set features Bear's plans to build a rocketship so he can fly to the moon and learn what it tastes like. Readers will be delighted to follow Bear as he perseveres to complete the rocketship even during the winter months when he normally would be asleep and discover if he ever makes it to the moon and back.
Diane
I liked the story a lot and so did my 5 year old, even though it might be aimed at slightly younger children. I love how Bear perseveres in his quest to get to the moon, despite Little Bird's discouragement.

This edition is kind of crappy though. OK, it's really old and beat up, but the colors are all weird, a little washed out and the definition of the illustrations is terrible, very fuzzy...
Jbaccon
Bear is so full of the misconceptions (or is it really the magic) of childhood. Such rich discussion around bear's antics! He certainly is a thinker... EY children know the moon tastes like cheese!
Clacie
Read it to the kids last night. Cute story & they liked the pictures.
Deanna
Cute book involving all 4 seasons, humor, friendship, and perseverance.
Andrew Stegall
one of my favorite children's books
Edward Sullivan
Seeking a taste of the moon.
June
Dec 16, 2011 June rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Librarians, parents & teachers
Pat Marrujo
This is a silly book about a little bear's mission to see what the moon tastes like. He builds a rocket ship to take there and eventually falls asleep in it. When he wakes up, it is the winter, but he thinks it is the moon.

I think this is a fun book for kids because it is full of simple little jokes ans scenes that they can understand. It is easy to read and I like the art.
Steve
I love it that they show how someone came to think something subjectively, and yet objectively there was something different going on. And yet it's a cute children's story. I like it that the bear responds to the bird's curiosity about how the moon would taste. The bear is a can-do kind of guy and tries a few things. He skips his hibernation to try and help out his friend.
Luisa
I remember this book from a book program my parents signed me up for as a kid. It was great...the program. You got a book in the mail every month annnnnnd who doesn't like getting mail!? I was kind of disappointed with the story now. Oh well. I was glad I found it at the library...a little walk down memory lane.
Mursal
I had searched for this title since I was 3, after my family accidentally got rid of it. I finally found it by searching on google, and then on answers.com. Of course, there's nothing you can't find on google! It was just as I remembered it! Funny and witty!
Linda
My kids loved this book when they were little, and the preschoolers whom I read it to last week loved it too. The story is charming, the illustrations are delightful, and the children love being able to know more than Bear does in this sweet, gentle story.
Lisa Hobbs
I read this to K-1 kids early in the school year. It's short, sweet, clever, funny, and the kids love it. Once we read one Bear story, they're happy to see bear in all of the other stories by Frank Asch.
Esther
Cute book by Frank Asch. Bear really wants to taste the moon, but it seems too far away. So he builds a rocket ship, and makes a cake out of the "moon," which is really just snow from the winter.
Liz Todd
I love the Moonbear books! The kids have to use their imagination to understand what happens in this story when Moonbear thinks that he goes to the moon. What does moon taste like?

Jean-Marie
I love this book! And it offers so many great things to discuss and explore with children: the seasons, hibernation, migration, the moon and space travel. A must-read on our list!
Mrs. Downs
GR Level: J

Elementary: E ASC

Find out what happens when Bear decides to make a space rocket and fly to the moon.
Philitsa
A cute and funny kids' story cleverly disguises themes of friendship, ingenuity, discovery, perseverance. I love it, and so do my kids!
Olson Family Matters
Cute little story! Madelyn named the Bear and Bird: HoneyTummy and Trip. She wanted me to read the story with her given names.
Carissa
It's cute that the bear thinks that the snowy landscape is the moon... although, I wouldn't say that snow tasted delicious.
  • But No Elephants
  • Don't Worry Bear
  • The Wind Blew
  • Biscuit Takes a Walk
  • Same, Same But Different
Frank Asch is an American children's writer, best known for his Moonbear picture books.

Asch published his first picture book, George's Store, in 1968. The following year he graduated from Cooper Union with a BFA. Since then he has taught at a public school in India, as well as at a Montessori school in the United States, conducted numerous creative workshops for children. He has written over 60 bo
More about Frank Asch...

Moonbear (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Moon Bear
  • Moondance
  • Moonbear's Pet
  • Moonbear's Dream
  • Moonbear's Sunrise
Happy Birthday, Moon Popcorn Bearshadow (Moonbear) Moongame Star Jumper: Journal of a Cardboard Genius