Start by marking “Ocean Boulevard: an epic and exhilarating journey all the way.......from boy to man” as Want to Read:

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  11 reviews
David Baboulene runs away to sea in a cloud of romantic dust for the first of his shipboard adventures. This is a journey which takes him across the world and back to a triumphant homecoming in Liverpool. But despite the laughs, the real journey in this tale takes him all the way - from a boy to a man.
Published July 2nd 2006 by Summersdale Media Group

To ask other readers questions about Ocean Boulevard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ocean Boulevard

Had me in fits of giggles repeatedly. 'Windy' Baboulene runs away to sea to join the merchant navy after blowing up the science lab at school...
Andrew Muckle
Possibly the funniest book I have ever or will ever read (or it's sequel Jumping Ships, I can't decide).
Darren English
Laughed so much my wife thinks there's something wrong with me. Serious.

Why is this great? Cos it brings a human face to the stereotypical view of a sailor's life that you will have. A human, sensitive young man prone to peer pressure and falling for practical jokes on his first trip away working on ships learns and grows up and takes you from a boy to a man with him.

Totally unusual use of english in dealing with sexual and blokish sailors and situations. He handles it all with sensitivity and
Marilyn K
I bought this on my Kindle and loved it. It is an adventure story about a young man who takes a job on a ship and travels all over the world. It was very fascinating. It was easy to read and I really liked the adventure of it all. Fascinating stories in this book!
ales of a scamp/screw-up's cadet experience in the Brit Merchant Navy. Mostly juvenile, but not a bad writer:

"It's strange how hard it is to talk to someone who is with other people, isn't it? The Americans are best at it. Anywhere you meet strangers in the US -- on a train, at a bus stop, in a queue -- they will talk to you. If the lift is going more than three floors, the chances are that you'll make a friend for life. In England, if a stranger talks to you at a bus stop, you begin to ships u
Following the misadventures of a teenager who runs away to join the merchant navy in the 1970s, Ocean Boulevard has a crew of colourful characters, a girl in every port and string of character-building incidents.

It's a fun read and will confirm most of your darkest suspicions about young men in general and sailors in particular.
Stan Armiger
A great book of when boys/men were allowed to be just that. This is what I grew up with and it was great. Now unfortunately with the coming political correctness and sexual equality what this book is about has all but disappeared.
If you want a good read with a few belly laughs thrown in, this is the book.
Puck Duimdus
One of the most entertaining books I've read in a long time! Funny, educated, interesting, definitely an epitome of storytelling!!! Can't wait to read his next book.
Malachi Jones
I loved this book. Similar era to my own time at sea. The author was a deck officer where I was a Radio Officer but the memories came flooding back.
Neither the wildest or funniest of this genre of book that I have read, but an enjoyable light read non the less.
After being a apprentice myself I can relate to this. Probably the funniest book I've ever read!
Maher Mansour
Maher Mansour is currently reading it
Nov 09, 2015
Michael A Smith
Michael A Smith marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2015
Tom marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Jason marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Paul Kilmer
Paul Kilmer marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Lisa marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014