Start by marking “Ocean Boulevard: an epic and exhilarating journey all the way.......from boy to man” as Want to Read:

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  71 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
David Baboulene runs away to sea in a cloud of romantic dust for the first of his shipboard adventures. This is a journey which takes him across the world and back to a triumphant homecoming in Liverpool. But despite the laughs, the real journey in this tale takes him all the way - from a boy to a man.
Published July 2nd 2006 by Summersdale Media Group

To ask other readers questions about Ocean Boulevard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ocean Boulevard

LauraL
Aug 25, 2008 LauraL rated it it was amazing
Had me in fits of giggles repeatedly. 'Windy' Baboulene runs away to sea to join the merchant navy after blowing up the science lab at school...
Andrew Muckle
Apr 01, 2011 Andrew Muckle rated it it was amazing
Possibly the funniest book I have ever or will ever read (or it's sequel Jumping Ships, I can't decide).
Darren English
May 03, 2011 Darren English rated it it was amazing
Laughed so much my wife thinks there's something wrong with me. Serious.

Why is this great? Cos it brings a human face to the stereotypical view of a sailor's life that you will have. A human, sensitive young man prone to peer pressure and falling for practical jokes on his first trip away working on ships learns and grows up and takes you from a boy to a man with him.

Totally unusual use of english in dealing with sexual and blokish sailors and situations. He handles it all with sensitivity and
Maher Mansour
Apr 07, 2016 Maher Mansour rated it it was ok
There are so very few novels written about modern day merchant shipping. This book is unfortunately mediocre. Perhaps I had high expectations and thought I'd learn something about the seafaring that I don't already know. There wasn't! As for its sense of humor, I failed to laugh at the crude high-school kids (in this case sailors) jokes. Oh well, it helped me pass the time on the transatlantic flight :-) so I owe the 2 Stars to Mr Baboulene.
Nooilforpacifists
Sep 01, 2014 Nooilforpacifists rated it liked it
Shelves: naval-fiction, travel
ales of a scamp/screw-up's cadet experience in the Brit Merchant Navy. Mostly juvenile, but not a bad writer:

"It's strange how hard it is to talk to someone who is with other people, isn't it? The Americans are best at it. Anywhere you meet strangers in the US -- on a train, at a bus stop, in a queue -- they will talk to you. If the lift is going more than three floors, the chances are that you'll make a friend for life. In England, if a stranger talks to you at a bus stop, you begin to ships u
Greg
May 19, 2016 Greg rated it liked it
Fairly amusing.
Ian
May 29, 2013 Ian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Following the misadventures of a teenager who runs away to join the merchant navy in the 1970s, Ocean Boulevard has a crew of colourful characters, a girl in every port and string of character-building incidents.

It's a fun read and will confirm most of your darkest suspicions about young men in general and sailors in particular.
Stan Armiger
Apr 25, 2013 Stan Armiger rated it it was amazing
A great book of when boys/men were allowed to be just that. This is what I grew up with and it was great. Now unfortunately with the coming political correctness and sexual equality what this book is about has all but disappeared.
If you want a good read with a few belly laughs thrown in, this is the book.
Marilyn K
Jan 06, 2016 Marilyn K rated it it was amazing
I bought this on my Kindle and loved it. It is an adventure story about a young man who takes a job on a ship and travels all over the world. It was very fascinating. It was easy to read and I really liked the adventure of it all. Fascinating stories in this book!
Puck Duimdus
Apr 15, 2013 Puck Duimdus rated it it was amazing
One of the most entertaining books I've read in a long time! Funny, educated, interesting, definitely an epitome of storytelling!!! Can't wait to read his next book.
Malachi Jones
Dec 09, 2012 Malachi Jones rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Similar era to my own time at sea. The author was a deck officer where I was a Radio Officer but the memories came flooding back.
Kerry
Apr 03, 2013 Kerry rated it liked it
Neither the wildest or funniest of this genre of book that I have read, but an enjoyable light read non the less.
Chris
Sep 26, 2013 Chris rated it it was amazing
After being a apprentice myself I can relate to this. Probably the funniest book I've ever read!
Reviewer
Reviewer marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Mr Stephen Burton
Mr Stephen Burton rated it it was ok
Aug 25, 2016
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
vernon elliott
vernon elliott rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Paul
Paul rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2016
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Ana Mark
Ana Mark marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
D F ALLEN
D F ALLEN rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2016
James Woodward
James Woodward rated it did not like it
Jun 16, 2016
Billy Chapman
Billy Chapman rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2016
Sherrin
Sherrin rated it liked it
May 26, 2016
Rob Round
Rob Round rated it liked it
May 08, 2016
S
S rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Aled Owen-Thomas
Aled Owen-Thomas rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2016
Andy Friend
Andy Friend rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2016
Denise Kusel
Denise Kusel rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2016
John Konrad
John Konrad marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016