Start by marking “Batman: The Long Halloween” as Want to Read:
Batman: The Long Halloween

Batman: The Long Halloween (Batman)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  39,950 ratings  ·  1,033 reviews
Taking place during Batman's early days of crime fighting, this collection tells the story of a mysterious killer who murders his prey only on holidays. Working with District Attorney Harvey Dent and Lieutenant James Gordon, Batman races against the calendar as he tries to discover who Holiday is before he claims his next victim each month. A mystery that has the reader co...more
Published 1998 (first published 1997)

Jeff
If I met anyone that had never read a Batman book, this is probably the one I would recommend. This is the quintessential Batman story. The volume revolves around mobsters being murdered on each holiday and takes place early in Batman’s career. It’s a vehicle for Harvey Dent’s transition from Gotham City district attorney to Two-Face. Dent along with Captain Gordon and Bats (puts “Detective” back in DC comics) attempt to figure out who’s the killer.

It features most of Batman’s rogue’s gallery (w...more
Andy
Aug 12, 2008 Andy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: batman fans
Shelves: comix-novel
Every comic book artist thinks their interpretation of Batman is the best, but most of them are overdrawn. Tim Sale gets it – he’s one of the best Batman artists I’ve seen. I think he captures the insanity of the Mad Hatter and the Scarecrow so well, and his rendering of Batman is one of the best.
I was listening to Amon Tobin’s “Out From Out Where” while reading “The Long Halloween” and the music fit the comic perfectly (especially “The Searchers”). Try it some time: I think Tobin should score...more
Sam Quixote
Want to know exactly why this book is garbage, in detail? I wrote this article today about the many faults of The Long Halloween which you can read here. Let me know what you think!
Ronyell
The Origins of Harvey Dent has begun!

Two Face

Introduction:

Now, I have been reading many Batman comics whose stories dealt with Batman defeating one of his greatest foes, the Joker. But, I had always wanted to read some “Batman” stories that dealt with another one of Batman’s greatest foes, Two-Face! I got interested in Two-Face’s story when I saw one of the episodes on “Batman: The Animated Series” that dealt with the origin tale of Two-Face and I was amazed at how well that episode portrayed the rel...more
Nicolo Yu
I almost didn't get this digital copy when ComiXology had its graphic novel sale for the holidays. I was leaning toward Batman: Hush, also by Jeph Loeb and with art by Jim Lee, but I already have that story in singles. It was best deal though, if it's measured in pages with a 353 page count. So I pulled the trigger on the purchase. I didn't regret it.

The Long Halloween is probably the best work to come out from the collaboration of Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale. It's set in Year One of Frank Miller, wh...more
StoryTellerShannon
This was one of the three Batman comics which influenced the making of the movie BATMAN BEGINS. The sequel to that film THE DARK KNIGHT grabbed heavily from this particular graphic novel. It's something of an early years of Batman's time as he deals mostly with the mob and an avenger named Holiday who kills people during almost any holiday. There are some good connection setups between Batman, Gordon and Dent. Film noirish style as to the murders some would say.

ARTWORK: B; STORY/PLOTTING; B plus...more
Muhammad Shakhawat Hossain
If 'awesome' hadn't become an adjective too cliché, I would've surely used it. Batman: The Long Halloween has truly an enticing plot and the storytelling is pretty neat. The mystery that kept baffling Batman, is not revealed until almost the very end of the novel. Also, the twisting climax gives a goose bump and will leave the readers at their wit's end!

The chief antagonist, Carmine Falcone is loosely based on Mario Puzo's iconic character Don Vito Corleone and the starting is pretty much simil...more
Sesana
The Long Halloween is a follow-up to Year One, written by Jeph Loeb because Frank Miller had no apparent interest in doing so. (After having read All-Star Batman and Robin, I think that's a good thing.) It essentially picks up right where Year One left off. Batman is still kind of new to all of this, still working out his code of ethics and how best to use the Batman persona. It's also a passing of the torch for Gotham itself, moving the city from one ruled by the mafia to one terrorized on a pr...more
Joe
Dec 20, 2008 Joe rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Batman fans
Shelves: graphic, hero-mythos
Brad
Nolan himself recognizes Loeb's influence on his Dark Knight trilogy, and it is everywhere in these pages, but Loeb's The Long Halloween is much better than what Nolan did on screen. It takes the post-Miller Dark Knight back to his kinder gentler detective past without the cheese and stupidity. Loeb's Batman is morose and grey, but he's not bitter, nasty, or "dark," which makes him much more welcoming to the reader. I think this is the ideal beginning for anyone interested in Batman. Plus, it's...more
Hayden
I put off reading this book for a long time, but with the impending release of The Dark Knight Rises this summer, I felt like it was time to pick up the last Batman classic I hadn't read.

This dark, brooding story takes huge, huge influence from the 1972 film The Godfather. In fact, whole scenes are lifted from the movie, such as the opening line, the license plate copying in the beginning, and the orange grove scene. After putting it down, I was somewhat disappointed Batman didn't wake up to fin...more
Callista
So, apparently, including a big group of villains in one story isn't just a quirk (though this one was written before Hush and by the same writer, so I still don't know if it's a Loeb thing).
Aspects of the plot were interesting, and the end twist was a jawdropper, but I didn't really like the repetition. When this came out in serial form, I suppose reminding the reader who the players were came in handy, but it got irritating to me. ("Yeah, I know who Sofia is already! Get on with it!")
The way...more
Kemper
Jeph Loeb's work on Batman are some of the best stories ever done about the character, and this and Hush are proably the two best.
Eric
Feb 21, 2013 Eric rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Graphic novel fans
Recommended to Eric by: Joe Carl
I had never really been a fan of DC comics and frankly never much liked DC's universe of characters, having always gravitated towards Marvel comics. But I loved the movie Batman Begins, and with that in mind, a friend recommended this to me. I gave it a shot and am very glad I did.

This collected graphic novel was a wonderfully told, self-contained tale, and much more reminiscent of Alan Moore graphic novels than of the campy Batman comics I remember as a kid.

The 13-issue comic series featured a...more
Darcey
Jul 05, 2013 Darcey rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Darcey by: http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman_Recommended_Reading
This was my first DC comic.

One of my first superhero ones, at that. I was very disappointed. I decided to read it after searching through websites on the first Batman graphic novel to read, and this was recommended numerous times.

There are a few things I didn't like.

1) The artwork. It wasn't fantastic. It looked old, as the comic is, and in a pop art style that doesn't appeal to me.

2) The story was scatty. It flipped through time frames without explanation, left out information to leave you to...more
John Yelverton
One of the greatest Batman stories ever told. Unlike typical graphic novels, you are guessing who the culprit is, even after the end!
Joel
So good I read it in one sitting. At Barnes & Noble. Sorry, Jeph and Tim.
Dan Schwent
I thought the mystery was well done but the pace was a little slow.
Jake
Periodically I get a hankering to revisit comic books, and often it is Batman I revisit. The hankering has everything to do with nostalgia. Let me put it this way: If Superman was the cherished superhero of my childhood then Batman was the cherished superhero of my young adult years. [The heroes of my adulthood tend to be neither super nor fictional (Sorry, Spidey, I’ve never gotten past what a pretty boy brat you are)].

Case in point: three days ago I was staring a four-day holiday in the face....more
Zach
Jan 03, 2013 Zach rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who care about the origin of Two-Face and/or like their detectives in bat ears and a cape
Shelves: comics, batman
Though it obviously wasn't the first comic book I ever read, this was the book that "officially" started me reading comics. As a kid I'd been a big fan of the screen versions of Batman, but the comics I'd read never seemed to capture what I enjoyed about the character: not just the action or the colorful cast of characters, but the potent generic blend of film noir, gothic, and detective/espionage fiction (yes, somehow I'd managed to miss Dark Knight Returns, Year One, The Killing Joke, etc.). I...more
Paul
Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale... I swear, these guys should just rent a house in the middle of nowhere together and just produce Graphic Novels!

I had bought the original single issues of Batman: The Long Halloween, but when DC decided to publish them in their Absolute format, I couldn't resist but to double-dip... one of the best purchases I've ever made. This story is worth reading and looking at in the larger hardcover version and it is one of the books I will cherish until they pry it from my dead h...more
Ryan Milbrath
“I believe in Harvey Dent.” The phrase almost seems iconic now. Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight almost made it a catch-phrase. I know when times seemed tough, I would tell my significant other, “I believe in Harvey Dent.” Nolan didn’t come up with this pearl, though. In fact, the source material creates more layers to this phrase, than the movie ever could. The Long Halloween is considered the fifth best comic series for Batman. It’s a retelling of the fall of Harvey Dent and the Falcone Crime...more
Jessie
Maybe I've been spoiled by amazing Batman story lines such as The Dark Knight Returns and the Hush series, but I found The Long Halloween really underwhelming. There was little to no plot development and characters just seemed to come of the woodwork for a quick moment only to be gone the next second. Overall, the plot could have been great. It was somewhat interesting but it all was too rushed and forced. Especially the closing scene where the culprit is revealed. When you get there, you'll kno...more
حسام عادل
A mysterious killer,League of Mad Criminals,lost officer seeking for lost justice,two Fighting Families ruled by the emperor of crimes in gotham,One Hero standing and A series of surprises All Over the Way in the most exciting thriller comic you would ever read in your life.
The end was totally surprising and full of opacity but sure it was far from my mind,That's why i consider it as one of the amazing ends i have ever read.
The Idea of batman fighting the Mafia was Magnificent,the whole story to...more
Ceilidh
A really interesting crime-noir approach to my favourite superhero (he's so much cooler than Superman, don't deny it), one that's much more effective than anything Frank Miller's done in the last 10 years. Harvey's mental descent and eventual transformation into Two-Face is particularly fascinating. I would have liked to have seen some more dimensions with the many other iconic Batman villains introduced in this edition though, and the ending's a bit too twisty-turny to be truly believable (but...more
Anca
Awesome. The mob, Catwoman, lots of villain freaks and the origins of Two-Face and Batman in a fairly complicated plot that was easy to follow due to the so great graphics that even I could recognize each member of the mob and keep up with the story. Plus, the concept behind the chapter covers was amazing. Granted, I have very little terms for comparison as far as comic books go and I have a minor obsession with Batman, so you can go ahead and deem me an unreliable source :D (which I probably al...more
Sujeet Gholap
Nolan and his Dark Knight have spoilt it. Spoilt it real bad. I can't just stand to see the joker in any less grander a manner. I just can't take the joker any less profound.

Also, from a graphic novel, I expected no loose ends. Sadly, there are. Also, after the "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight", the villains here just seem too shallow, too simple to pose any serious threat.

(view spoiler)...more
Timothy Stone
Batman: The Long Halloween is one of the seminal works of the modern Batman mythos. It is a chapter in a series of Batman comics stories that tell the tale of the early stages of the Caped Crusader's crime-fighting career. It is, in fact, still mostly in continuity after the Flashpoint crisis crossover event rebooted the DC Universe.

The story begins during Batman's second year as a crime-fighter. At this point, Gotham City is still ruled by the iron fist of organized crime. The “freaks”, as the...more
Andrew Wright
This had great art and great potential, but I felt like it just didn't really deliver. It had kind of a formulaic plot structure with the murders and the red herrings that I really liked, and the book falters when it deviates from that as the story progresses. Still, as always, Batman's bad guys are more fun than he is really. Also, the caper wasn't as mysterious as I'd thought.
Alex
This is everything you could want in a modern Batman series. A series of self-contained stories that build to a larger arc that is greater than the sum of its parts. I didn't want to put it down and every time I picked it up, I read for longer than I had intended. I can see how this was inspirational to Nolan, and I think I prefer this book to those films.
  • Batman: The Black Mirror
  • Batman and Robin, Vol. 1: Born to Kill
  • Batman: Noel
  • Batman: Prey
  • Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 1
Joseph "Jeph" Loeb III is an Emmy and WGA nominated American film and television writer, producer and award-winning comic book writer. Loeb was a Co-Executive Producer on the NBC hit show Heroes, and formerly a producer/writer on the TV series Smallville and Lost.

A four-time Eisner Award winner and five-time Wizard Fan Awards winner (see below), Loeb's comic book career includes work on many major...more
More about Jeph Loeb...
Batman: Dark Victory Batman: Hush Batman: Hush, Vol. 2 Superman for All Seasons Batman: Hush, Vol. 1

“I made a promise to my parents that I would rid the city of the evil that took their lives.” 6 likes