Start by marking “Demigods and Monsters: Your Favorite Authors on Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series” as Want to Read:

Demigods and Monsters: Your Favorite Authors on Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series (Camp Half-Blood Chronicles)

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  3,205 Ratings  ·  158 Reviews
FIRST EDITION THUS Published by Borders, Inc., 2008, edited by Rick Riordan with Leah Wilson.
Published January 1st 2008 by Borders

The Last Olympian by Rick RiordanThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick RiordanThe Titan's Curse by Rick RiordanThe Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
Best Rick Riordan Books
18th out of 40 books — 182 voters
The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick RiordanThe Titan's Curse by Rick RiordanThe Lost Hero by Rick RiordanThe Last Olympian by Rick Riordan
Best Greek Novels
29th out of 79 books — 165 voters

More lists with this book...

Sabrina Grace
Jul 20, 2011 Sabrina Grace rated it really liked it
I believe im not the only person that thinks that the Percy Jackson series is totally awesome. And yes, I did enjoy this book. The extra knowledge about the gods and the different authors take in the series was interesting. But.. It seemed to me that the authors over-anylized the series a bit too much. They all claimed that rick riordan is a genious for coming up with these extravegent (spelling?) plots and details, and of course, I do think Mr Riordan is a geneous, but not in the ways that they ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Jun 21, 2008 Jennifer Wardrip rated it really liked it
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for TeensReadToo.com

Love for Percy Jackson is sweeping readers everywhere -- and not just teens. Other authors love him as well, and they have something to say about him! DEMIGODS AND MONSTERS is a book of essays penned by other authors covering all things Percy Jackson.

Jenny Han gives godly parental report cards and asks if you could pick one parent out of the god realm, who would you choose? Rosemary Clement-Moore writes a lesson in recognizing monsters, for beginn
Dianne
This is an amazingly interesting collection of essays examining the creation of Rick Riordan’s brilliant mind, the Percy Jackson series. After a wonderful forward by Mr. Riordan, various writers take their turn writing essays in their own unique style. You’ll find a touch of interesting wonderfacts, some humor and other perspectives on the phenomenon that is Percy Jackson!

You will NOT find a collection of Rick Riordan tales, but it is an interesting work that can be read in short spurts, one Es
Raegan
Dec 03, 2014 Raegan rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2013
I wasn't to impressed by this book...
BJ
Jan 04, 2010 BJ rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
The product description is purposefully a touch misleading. This is really a collection of essays by other young adult authors discussing various aspects of the setting and writing and deriving lessons and discussion topics for young adults. There is no additional fleshing out of the setting through stories or fiction. Not all of the descriptions of this book make it clear and it was especially hard to get to the truth of the content from the kindle description. Some of the essays were ...more
Amanda
Feb 16, 2010 Amanda rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult-lit
I found the author's introduction endearing, how he created Percy Jackson in order to validate his second grader's ADHD and dyslexia-- that they had divine origins. This section is one I think I will use in further teaching, it explains how and why myths are inherent to our society and the relationships between authors and their own texts as well as the ones they analyze.

Ok, so that was about the best part of any of the essays. I did find the glossary of mythological people and places a useful
Michael
Jul 01, 2011 Michael rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have to say that I really didn't like this book at all. It took me a little bit to read. I kept skipping parts because they weren't interesting at all. My favorite part was the glossary at the end, explaining all the greek gods, heroes and etc... Basically this book is other authors writing pieces about the Percy Jackson series. It really wasn't interesting at all only a couple were okay.
I don't suggest reading this, but if you want to try reading it you can go right ahead. lol =]
Abby
May 22, 2010 Abby rated it really liked it
Recommended to Abby by: The Percy Jackson Series
A series of essays about the Percy Jackson series from various YA authors. As always with essay collections, some were better than others. I really liked "Why So Many Monsters Go Into Retail" and "Percy, I am Your Father. Some others read like middle school language arts papers. Good but not great. Fun for fans.
Vikas Datta
Mar 15, 2015 Vikas Datta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating and incisive look at various issues and motifs permeating this wonderful series and what they tell us about ourselves and our society..
Vita Julii
Jun 24, 2015 Vita Julii rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthology, commentary
For the complete review, kindly drop by my blog at: Thoughts and Pens

Demigods and Monsters is a compilation of comprehensive essays about anything related to the world Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. It features the insights of eight famous authors (Rosemary Moore, Cameron Dokey, Paul Collins, Carolyn MacCullough, Ellen Steiber, The Gods Among Us, J&P Voelkel, Jenny Han, Sarah Beth Durst, Hilary Wagner, Hilari Bell, Elizabeth E. Wein, Kathi Appelt, Sophie Masson, Nigel Rodgers) regar
Charlotte
Jun 27, 2015 Charlotte rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthology, commentary
For the complete review, kindly drop by my blog at: Thoughts and Pens

Aparajitabasu
Original Link to the review at my blog Le' Grande Codex - here

HAPPY RELEASE DAY! Presenting Demigods & Monsters: Your favorite Authors on Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series (edited) by Rick Riordan.

Here is the summary of the book:

Released just before the March 2013 feature film Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters, this new edition is updated through The Last Olympian, and includes several brand new essays!

The #1 New York Times bestselling Percy Jackson series—The Lightning
Jo
Jul 16, 2013 Jo rated it liked it
Demigods and Monsters
By Rick Riordan
Summery courtesy of goodreads.com
The #1 New York Times bestselling Percy Jackson series-including The Lightning Thief, The Sea of Monsters, The Titan's Curse, and The Battle of the Labyrinth-features a twelve-year-old dyslexic boy who discovers he is the son of a Greek god, the target of mythical Greek monsters and the center of a prophecy that could change the balance of power in the world forever. In Demigods and Monsters, YA authors take on Greek gods, mons
Eustacia Tan
Jul 09, 2013 Eustacia Tan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I admittedly have a very on-off relationship with the Percy Jackson series. I probably saw The Lightning Thief in a Popular bookstore a long long time ago. Unfortunately, the only thing I remembered was a tagline that went something like "half-boy, half-god, all hero". How I managed to find the series again is something I still don't understand.

And when I finally read the first book, well I loved it! But then, left the series alone (I don't actually own any of the books - I think my sister has o
Cheryl M-M
Jul 06, 2013 Cheryl M-M rated it really liked it
Not by Rick Riordan, but about his books.
Just thought I would mention that as it seems that some readers are buying this based on the premise that it is a new Riordan book.
A collection of thoughts and essays by other authors on books written by Riordan.
On a side note I loved the introduction to the book, but have decided to take my chances even if it means getting shot.
I actually had never heard of Riordan or his books until I saw the film version of Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief. Perso
Kezia
Being a PJO/HoO and Greek mythology fan, I felt that I would love this. So I finally finished it and honestly I thought it was boring. Sure there were essays that I liked (such as Jenny Han's Eeny Meeny Miney Mo(m): Picking Your Very Own Godly Parent) but I felt that reading this was like a chore or school homework I had to finish.

Well, I did finish this book.

However...I dragged my ass and skimmed through the second half.

This book is a collection of essays from other authors about PJO series. I
Natalie Monroe
Jul 11, 2013 Natalie Monroe rated it liked it
Shelves: greek-mythology, arc
ARC received through Netgalley

Here's a little note to those of you about to pick up this: unless you are a huge, huge fan of Greek mythology, you will not enjoy this.

This book is comprised of essays analyzing Percy Jackson and the mythology within it. As a college student, I have slaved over similar essays and can appreciate the hard work these authors have put it in order to write those essays. But frankly, the highlight of book was Rick Riordan's introduction. Don't get me wrong, a couple of t
Beckie
Apr 17, 2012 Beckie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ok, to be honest, I didn't even finish reading it. The part that Rick Riordan wrote was great, and I made it through one essay after that, and that was all I could take. I skimmed a few more, and I just couldn't do it. I am really not that interested in dissecting the Percy Jackson series; everyone is going to take something different away from the readings anyway.

The book is worth borrowing just to read the part that Mr. Riordan wrote, though. He tells all about how Percy came about, and it a h
Emily Sarah
May 14, 2016 Emily Sarah rated it liked it
I read this while waiting for my eReader to charge so I can get back to reading 'The Titan's Curse'. This is a 'behind the scenes' look at everything PJ related. It's like getting a sneak peek at Riordan's brain, which is oddly satisfying. Definitely recommend to everyone who wants to know how and why Riordan did the things he did.

Also, shoutout to my homeboy, Rick Riordan's son, who got his dad to write the series in the first place. You're the real MVP, son.
Terry
Jul 22, 2014 Terry rated it liked it
A book for die-hard Percy Jackson fans. Breaks down the books into essays on the specific themes within the story. The best part of this book for me is the glossary of Ancient Greek Myth, which includes in depth information on the Greek gods and ancient Greek mythology.
Amanda
Nov 23, 2010 Amanda rated it did not like it
It's a book of essays on a book series. NOT EVEN GOOD ESSAYS!
One of the essay's says
'now I am to the point of this essay'
OMGS! yes I am a dedicated Rick Riordan fan and I thought it would be kind of cool to read about what other published authors thought about the excelent series.
Nesh
Oct 06, 2014 Nesh rated it liked it
I liked it I suppose, but it was a bit dull. A bit to much info and too little storytelling if you ask me.
Giselle
Apr 19, 2015 Giselle rated it it was ok
La parte escrita por Rick Riordan es lo mejor de el libro.
Victoria Pimentel
Jan 24, 2014 Victoria Pimentel rated it it was ok
It was bit empty, lacked true content. Not really enjoyable.
Hestia Istiviani
Oct 22, 2016 Hestia Istiviani rated it really liked it
The heavier version of Percy Jackson's Greek Gods and Percy Jackson's Greek Heroes.

I love the way each author potray that Rick Riordan is a smart writer: to make children with ADHD and dyslexia more confident by having Percy Jackson as their heroes.

Most of it is funny (actually, I like Jenny Han's part) and the rests are good enough.
Anto
Oct 23, 2016 Anto rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ME ENCANTO EL ANÁLISIS DE CADA AUTOR SOBRE EL MUNDO DE PERCY, muy muy interesante!!! No lean este libro si todavía no han terminado los primeros cinco de la saga!
Al final trae un glosario que shhhh no leí porque ya se todas esas cosas ah bue experta JAJAJA no posta, se hace muy repetitivo
Drew
Nov 24, 2016 Drew rated it liked it
I'm not interested in this. Sry!(:
Sarah Eagle
Oct 10, 2016 Sarah Eagle rated it it was amazing
Even though Rick Riordan had very little to do with the book's actual content (he wrote the Foreword), I thought this was an excellent analysis of his series.
But if you're reading it now, know that it references Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief all the way through book four, Battle for the Labyrinth and does not delve into The Last Olympian, as it was written before book 5's publication. Therefore, some of its "predictions" are a bit outdated.

But going into the subconscious and background i
Izandra Mascarenhas
Sep 15, 2014 Izandra Mascarenhas rated it it was ok
**Resenha publicada no blog Livros e Cores em 01/09/14**
Link: http://livros-cores.blogspot.com.br/2...

Sou fã incontestável do Rick Riordan e de todos os seus livros, seja a saga “Percy Jackson e os Olimpianos”, seja sua sequência “Os heróis do Olimpo”, ou mesmo a saga “As Crônicas dos Kane”. Adoro a forma como autor explora a mitologia (grega ou egípcia), transformando-a em algo moderno e fácil de ser lido por qualquer público.

O próprio autor já fez diversos livros extras, por fora das séries, q
Esty
Feb 26, 2016 Esty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
You can read the full review and more on my blog.(:

The introduction was really cool to me - it's basically Rick Riordan expressing his amazement that people could find symbolism and deeper meanings in a bedtime story he made up for his kid. Includes interesting quote by Mark Twain.

Monster Recongnition for Beginners- cute, entertaining. Liked the footnotes.

Why Do So Many Monsters Go Into Retail? - found this boring, was unable to figure out the concrete claim the writer was trying to make.

Stea
The Nooks of Books: Demigods and Monsters 3 6 Nov 15, 2014 10:59AM
My Views on Sea of Monsters explained 1 6 Jul 27, 2013 05:08PM
OBS CONTEST: WIN A COPY OF ‘DEMIGODS & MONSTERS’ 1 6 Apr 20, 2010 09:21PM
  • Percy Jackson
  • Tales of the Greek Heroes: Retold From the Ancient Authors
  • The Unofficial Heroes of Olympus Companion: Gods, Monsters, Myths and What's in Store for Jason, Piper and Leo
  • Percy Jackson
  • Pantheons (Pantheons, #1)
  • Percy Jackson and the Olympians: List of Percy Jackson and the Olympians Characters
  • The Golden Fleece and the Heroes Who Lived Before Achilles
  • Through the Wardrobe: Your Favorite Authors on C. S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia
  • Hit the Road, Helen! (Myth-O-Mania, #9)
  • Goddamned Percy Jackson: A Biography
  • Poseidon: Earth Shaker (Olympians, #5)
  • A Taste of True Blood: The Fangbanger's Guide
  • The Great God Pan
  • A New Dawn: Your Favorite Authors on Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Series
  • The Black Book of Buried Secrets
  • The Scar (Lorien Legacies: The Lost Files Bonus)
  • Mind-Rain: Your Favorite Authors on Scott Westerfeld's Uglies Series
  • Reading Angel: The TV Spin-off with a Soul

More about Rick Riordan...

Camp Half-Blood Chronicles (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)
  • The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2)
  • The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3)
  • The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4)
  • The Demigod Files (Percy Jackson and the Olympians)
  • The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5)
  • The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus, #1)
  • The Son of Neptune (The Heroes of Olympus, #2)
  • The Demigod Diaries
  • The Mark of Athena (The Heroes of Olympus, #3)

“It would be a shame to get expelled from school (or arrested) for trying to stab the principal with a ballpoint pen just because he doesn’t use enough deodorant.” 5 likes
“Greek women were not allowed to be: free and untamed. In fact, Artemis is a bit of a paradox. On the one hand, her commitment to purity must have been greatly admired by Ancient Greeks; yet she is also untamable and answers to no man. She is truly the eternal wild child who never has to grow up and shoulder the responsibilities that adulthood brings. She never has to compromise herself or conform to any of society’s standards. No wonder she is associated with the moon—completely untouchable, forever unattainable. If offered the option of becoming one of Artemis’ immortal maidens, freed forever from the shackles of marriage or slavery, I think many Ancient Greek women would have jumped on that bandwagon as it careened past” 4 likes