Start by marking “Amanda Bean's Amazing Dream” as Want to Read:
Amanda Bean's Amazing Dream

Amanda Bean's Amazing Dream

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Amanda Bean loves to count everything, from the books in the library to the popcorn in her bowl. If only she could count faster! Her teacher tries to persuade her of the virtues of multiplication, but Amanda remains unconvinced--until she has an amazing dream. Full color.
Published August 1st 1998 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Amanda Bean's Amazing Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amanda Bean's Amazing Dream

Ruth Ann
This is a simple story about a young girl who loves to count but is reluctant to memorize her multiplication facts. After a dream with some active sheep, Amanda comes to realize that multiplication is much more efficient and faster than counting or repeated addition.

The best part about this book is that the readers come to visualize multiplication. There are many groups to see - trays of baked goods, kitchen tiles, books on shelves, and sheep on bicycles!

At the end of the book, the great Marily...more
Christina Attaway
Amanda Bean is a girl with alot of great adventures she has had a lot of great dreams comparing to math she has tryed to culculate all of her math usive steps. I think that she is a great person with alot of insperation and idea's also dreams. She has showed examples of how her dreams had showed that math was a great idea to show how much things cost and how much money you would get back when you buy the iteams that you want to buy. I think that in my prediction that Amanda Bean has alot of grea...more
Madison Bopp
I would use this book in a 3rd grade class when learning multiplication. There is a section at the end of the book that provides riddles for students to determine which has more. For example, "Which has more wheels—5 tricycles or 7 bicycles?" or "Which has more cookies—3 rows with 8 cookies in each row or 4 rows with 6 cookies in each row?" or "Which has more panes—a window with 5 rows and 4 panes in each row or a window with 3 rows and 6 panes in each row?" I would have students solve these rid...more
Molly Robbins
I really enjoyed this book because it not only talks about multiplication, but it goes into further detail by explaining how you count the number of rows and columns and how you come to multiply. It gives you a bunch of different examples of where you could use this strategy and use other names besides rows and columns (ex: books and shelves at the library). It has a little girl trying to multiply but instead, she ends up counting every single object instead of using simple multiplication. This...more
Amber Lewis
I really enjoyed reading this book. It is about a girl named Amanda Bean who loves to count EVERYTHING...the only problem is she counts everything one by one. It wasn't a problem for her when she had to count small amounts of objects, but when she got to larger amounts, that's when realized the problem. Her teacher tries to convince her about a better way to add things up, but she doesn't want to take his advice until she has an AMAZING DREAM! This is a great book to use in the classroom for thi...more
Julia B
I loved using this book in my classroom. It's used as a great intro to multiplication as equal sized groups. I plan on using it the same way I did last year - as a Read Aloud to segue into having my students count out beans into equal size groups and then glue these beads onto construction paper. My students then write out the repeated addition and multiplication sentences represented by the beans. Hopefully this coming year I can turn this into a center for my students, as well, especially for...more
Lauren Owens
This book is a good transition from repeated addition to multiplication. She realizes it takes too long to repeatedly add big numbers and eventually moves into multiplication. During the book the students could try to keep up with Amanda's repeated addition. Chances are one student is going to see that multiplication would be easier and a discussion can be started with that. Practicing multiplication next to repeated addition would be a nice way to transition with this book into multiplication.
R...more
Linda
This is a great book to use in beginning to introduce multiplication. Amanda Bean loves counting, but ends up in quite a challenging when she tries to count sheep who zip by fast on their bicycles, and then she wants to count their legs, & tries to keep up, but they go too fast. This scene, which turns out to be a dream, turns out to be an even bigger challenge, but you’ll have to read the rest to find out what happens. It’s a good book to have in your math basket!
Jamie Forrest
This story is a good introduction to multiplication. It shows the need to transition from counting to multiplying. The book does a great job of showing how out of hand counting can get.

However, I wish that there was more evidence of skip counting, showing that transition. I was also expecting a multiplication table or a list of the multiplication facts that Amanda was supposed to learn at the end of the book. It wasn't there. That was disappointing.
Katie Plumley
~Amanda loves to count everything she sees, but gets overwhelmed when she can't count fast enough to get a total. Her teacher has been trying to convince her that multiplication is faster, but she is not convinced until she cannot count fast enough to keep up with her dream.

~Great for introducing multiplication

~Shows how a large group can be counted by making smaller groups within it.

~Great for 2-3 grade
Sharia A.
This is a mathematical tale about a girl named Amanda. This book is about a girl who enjoys counting. The stiry takes the little girl through different parts of town from a bakery to a library. Amanda enjoys counting objects and realizes that instead of counting numbers individually, she can easily multiply. She realizes that there are short cuts that she can take to help her on her journey through life counting.
Kendra
It's a little wordy and I would have liked to see the math explained in the story. Why not include an 8x2 on the sheep page, just to reinforce the idea and to let kids see what multiplying looks like written in an equation. I do like the idea of the story, though. So many times we hear "Math is useless!" and this helps kids see there are lots of ways to use math, even if one of them is to satisfy curiosity.
Hye Eun
This book would be great for teaching multiplication. Amanda loves math and counting. She dreams about all kinds of things and how she can use multiplication when counting large quantity. It is faster than counting one by one. This book also includes follow up activities in the back for the teachers and parents. Great way to integrate literacy with math. Grade 3-4
Amber
The children were not terribly impressed with this one. Blake said "it was ok but it doesn't teach you anything." Well ok then, if we are going to read a picture book it better be really good or at least teach something. Well at least this living math book was really about math this time.
Jackie
I read the book last week with my third grade students who loved it! They had proof knowledge of arrays, and the illustrations of this book made it very easy to connect to that prior knowledge. They were seeing multiplication everywhere! This was a great introduction to our multiplication unit.
Sheila
I prefer books that talk about kids doing real stuff in the real world over books that talk about what a child does in school, what a teacher says, etc. But still, I liked the way it explained what multiplication is. It was a perfect read for my son who's been asking about multiplying.
Melinda Garman
This book is great at teaching real-world applications for multiplication. Have the students follow along with the story and figure out all the multiplication problems along the way. They can practice repeated multiplication and how it is much easier to learn the multiplication facts.
Lindsey Rutledge
This would be a great transition book from addition to multlication. Amanda hates multiplication until she has a dream that shows her its a faster way to do addition. You can discuss different ways to count the objects in the book with your students.
Deborah Harris
Dec 27, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: a21, ar-2
AR Quiz No. 49475 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.7 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV
Jessica
Multiplication. Amanda bean loves to count but does not believe multiplication will help her. She has a dream where she is trying to count a number of things, but can not do it fast enough. She decided that to multplication because it will help her.
Samantha
I really liked this book. I personally can use this as an introduction to multiplication and make it harder for kids who understand the concept or easier for kids who just need to be introduced to it! Definitely recommend. Makes me smile =)
Carol
This book definitely got its point across, that multiplication has many benefits over just counting. While we were reading, DD mentioned that she'd be learning more multiplication next year, which she seemed to think was a positive thing.
Carly Gates
I used to take this book to school to share every time we talked about addition and multiplication. Sometimes my teacher even requested it! I love that it has suggestions on expanding children's learning at the end of the book.
Rachel
This book was used in my 3rd grade class to discuss multiplication. The girl counts large numbers of sheep until she realizes multiplication is easier. Great book to use with math and language arts.
Karan Johnstone
Good book that explains why multiplication is better than just counting. I will read this book to my students before we start our multiplication unit this next school year.
Mina Saeed
This is a math story
It can be read aloud to the kids during math time.
Kids love read alouds so we can tie in a lot of books across the curriculum
Morgan Wright
Fun book to introduce multiplication. Talks about why Amanda needs it. Would be good to use at the end of second grade or beginning of third grade.
Nicole
Jun 01, 2013 Nicole rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: math
Great read aloud for multiplication! Would have been 5 stars if the multiplication equations had been on the page.
Donalyn
A decent introduction to the importance of multiplication. Clearly written for instructional purposes.
Gina Starling
Grade K-3

This is an excellent book. It is a wonderful way to introduce multiplication to children.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Cindy Neuschwander is a native Californian, born in San Diego, CA. Her father was a naval officer and later a high school teacher and her mother was a homemaker. She has one younger brother.

Cindy graduated with a BA in International Studies from Willamette University and earned an MA from Stanford University. She has taught all grades in elementary school as well as high school.

Cindy began writing...more
More about Cindy Neuschwander...
Sir Cumference and the First Round Table Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi Sir Cumference and the Great Knight of Angleland Sir Cumference and the Sword in the Cone Sir Cumference and the Isle of Immeter