Start by marking “Vote!” as Want to Read:

In a presidential election year, when selecting a new leader will be the focus of national attention, what could be more timely than an upbeat and informative introduction to voting? Eileen Christelow’s Vote! is now available in a special paperback edition at a bargain price, to give even more young readers the chance to understand the process.
Parties, voter registration,
Published February 18th 2008 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Vote!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vote!

Feb 25, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Amazing book for kids! My 5-y-old picked this one out himself. Told from the viewpoint of two dogs, it talks all about the voting process as it follows two candidates. Even covers unfair lobbying and the political parties in a fun and easy way. Very good learning tool for the voting process! I loved the part about some people not feeling like their vote counts and so they talked about all the hardships woman, blacks, etc, had to go thru to be able to vote. In the end, causing the voters to reali ...more
Caroline Cravens
Goodreads Review #7 - Vote!
Summary: Two dogs tell the story of how their owner runs for mayor. They explain the importance of voting along with many other aspects of voting. They explain things like who has been allowed to vote, and political parties, all in super easy to understand terms. In the back of the book there's a timeline of the history of voting, a glossary, a discussion of American political parties, and a list of internet resources.
Theme: Your vote always counts, and voting is impo
Essence Flowers
Sep 13, 2016 Essence Flowers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ages: 8-12 (grades 3rd-5th)

Summary: This colorful picture book is about two dogs explaining the process of voting for a town's mayoral election. The book used two informative and curious dogs to explain simple steps to general voting with the use of a comic book style to show the questions and thoughts some people might have about voting. The book went through how to get votes, who gets to vote, protesting, registering to vote, campaign ads, candidate debates and financial cost for running a ca
This book is about the process of voting for a town mayor. It gets very detailed, including describing pollsters and recounts. It was very long (47 pages) so some of the more detailed parts could be skipped to adapt it for lower levels. In addition to the general, mainly informative sentences at the top of the page, there were comic book-style scenarios on each page to give examples and better explain the concepts. I like the idea of providing more examples, but this comic book style, non-linear ...more
Nell Adams
Jul 16, 2015 Nell Adams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting book and provides lots of good information. It is about voting and helping your community pick for yourselves and not have other people pick for you. It talks about the candidates talking to the people and other people protesting. It also mentions how a lot of people do not even vote when they should. It instructs you on what you need to do before voting such as finding out who the candidates are and registering to vote. The book informs us that there are usually specific ...more
Alison Durbin
I found this book very informative, but it was also engaging and fun to read. I have already read one of Christelow's other books about illustrators, and it has a very similar set-up to this book. The text provides the necessary information while the illustrations (set up like comic strips) provide humor and more information. I like how her books that are meant to inform, are kid-friendly. Politics is not the most interesting subject, but Christelow makes it fun to learn more. I would not hesita ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for Kids @

I wholeheartedly believe that it's imperative that we teach children about the importance of voting. With the freedom of democracy in the United States, we have the ability to choose who we want to lead us. It's up to use to teach our children how wonderful that freedom really is!

Eileen Christelow presents VOTE! in an easy-to-read, easy-to-understand format, with fun characters and illustrations, that will appeal to even the youngest of readers. Althoug
Jodi Heidlage
This is an interesting book that describes all of the ins and outs of voting, which is why it was shelved as social studies. This book gets very detailed and definitely has some concepts that are to difficult or abstract to understand for young children. Still, I think you could adapt the first part of the book so that it describes the concept of voting, and gives an idea of things that you would vote for.
Steve Rush
I didn't really like this book. The book follow two dogs following two candidates running for mayor. The story is telling us what is going on when there is an election. The book would be a good book to read and to students when you need to share with them how elections are run and won. The book would be really good for those in the fifth or sixth grade maybe even seventh.
Oct 29, 2015 Claire rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a useful primer. I'm not sure why it was in the discard pile.

I liked how it included some political parties besides Democrat and Republican, notably Socialist and Federalist. Off to Jeopardy now so maybe I'll pull up some other notable things this evening but I think what I've noted so far is most of it!
Jenna Arntz
Sep 19, 2015 Jenna Arntz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: concept-book
This book would be amazing to help teach children about voting. This book discusses why you vote, how to vote and the places you go to vote. It also talks about the Founding Fathers and how voting was established. I also love the illustrations, they look as though they are water colors.
Brent Rogers
Mar 29, 2015 Brent Rogers rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school, informational
VOTE! is a comic book about voting, intended for young people. It goes through the entire voting process, step-by-step. It is important to teach children the importance if voting at a young age. I would use this book during election time and career week.
Judy Desetti
Nov 02, 2014 Judy Desetti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: units on voting and election process
Shelves: gr-3-4-5, concept
Was looking for a good book to use with this week's election. Found it! This is a great picture book to use to explain the voting process, some history of voting in USA, and the election process.

Recommend. I am purchasing this for the collection.
Clare Masullo
Dec 31, 2012 Clare Masullo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: text-set
Vote! is a great story following a young girl who's town is undergoing a mayoral election. The story is illustrated like a comic, with speech bubbles and many characters, as well as text along the bottom or top of each page. This would be great for children who are more visual, and prefer to look at striking images as opposed to focusing on text for content. Furthermore, the story delves into historical issues, like equality in voting, as the protagonist is an African American girl. The issue us ...more
A cheerful and positive introduction to voting and American democracy. A wide variety of voting topics are covered using a story, narrated by two dogs, about a woman running for town mayor. The dogs explain who gets to vote, the history of voting rights, the actual voting process, and other common election topics such as polling and absentee voting. My only minor beef is that Christelow doesn't address the requirement of citizenship to vote.

Recommended for grades 1 - 3. I ordered this book for
A really excellent introduction to American election process, Vote uses two humorous canine narrators to take readers through the process of a mayoral election. Although the Electoral College is not covered since this is not a Presidential election, Christelow covers just about everything else, from how politicians earn and spend money, to how political advertising can work, to the history of American voting, to the basics of voter registration and the actual mechanics of voting. Packed with inf ...more
Jessica Maddox
Lauren White
Good for grades 1-3
Sep 04, 2010 Cece rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: social-studies
This book is great to read to students around election time. It explains how to get candidates into offices, the procedure for registering to vote, how to choose a candidate. It also explains how everyone didn't have the right to vote when the constitutions was first written. The book also explains how different campaigns get money,was to volunteer, and how elections are decided.
Audrey Evans
The electoral process is very confusing for many students. This book has a way of making clear sense of the process in an exciting way. The illustrations make a clear picture of the text allowing students to visualize different aspects of the process. Vote! is highly recommended as an anticipatory set or sectioned read aloud to illustrate a lesson regarding elections.
Mar 05, 2011 Datoria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: social-studies
(I) The is a nice informative picture book. I would use it for 1st-5th. I think that this book could be a bit challenging for that age group. I am not sure if that will fully understand the voting process. This book would be great to integrate social studies with drama, and writing. the students could have a mock election and follow the process given i the book.
Whitney Maglott
This story is great for teaching young students how voting works and why we vote in America. The book explains things in kid terms and is simple to understand. It even shows what a recount looks like. The information is given in the book by two dogs and a cat who ask and answer questions about the voting process and all that goes into that.
Dec 31, 2012 Johnny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I'm not only reviewing this picture book because I need to meet my year-end quota on's a really great kids' book! It clearly explains the trappings of democracy, including its sordid history in America, AND it features some terrific diversity. Every elementary school teacher should use this book in class!!!
Apr 14, 2008 Christine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Leftist Whackos
I thought, oh good - a book to read to my kids about the voting process! Think again. I guess you'd like this if you believe that all the good and honest politicians in America are Democrats and all Republicans are mean and overweight and out to take money from our schools to build sports stadiums. Barf-o-rama.
Nov 04, 2008 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book to introduce kids to the voting process. The dog characters keep it humorous enough to hold their attention in between the explanations. Perfect for 1st to 3rd graders I would say. Would probably work for some kindergardeners as well.
Mar 31, 2013 Carlee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Voting is a topic that students may or may not fully understand. This book in particular discusses campaigning and choosing a candidate. The author discusses political topics with comic style illustrations between two characters that will engage students.
Bethany Livengood
Apr 21, 2013 Bethany Livengood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Positive, fun, and cheerful way to introduce children to voting. It encourages children to be a part of their country and have a voice in making decisions. Would be great to use as a read aloud before an election.
Ted Parsons
Jun 14, 2012 Ted Parsons rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story would be great to teach about the policial process. It explains concepts like candidates, policial parties, freedon to vote, etc.. The illustrations are a little bunched up, but they still enrich the story.
Oct 05, 2012 Bethe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great non-fiction book on the election process, very kid friendly with the comics section featuring the candidate's dogs. 2nd grade will get to do elections one more week in the library, got to share this fun book!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Subway Story
  • The Great Migration: Journey to the North
  • Many Luscious Lollipops: A Book About Adjectives
  • Wolfsnail: A Backyard Predator
  • What To Do About Alice?: How Alice Roosevelt Broke the Rules, Charmed the World, and Drove Her Father Teddy Crazy!
  • My Friend, the Starfinder