3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  34 reviews
In a presidential election year, when selecting a new leader will be the focus of national attention, what could be more timely than an upbeat and informative introduction to voting? Eileen Christelow’s Vote! is now available in a special paperback edition at a bargain price, to give even more young readers the chance to understand the process.
Parties, voter registration,...more
Published February 18th 2008 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Vote!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vote!

midnightfaerie
Amazing book for kids! My 5-y-old picked this one out himself. Told from the viewpoint of two dogs, it talks all about the voting process as it follows two candidates. Even covers unfair lobbying and the political parties in a fun and easy way. Very good learning tool for the voting process! I loved the part about some people not feeling like their vote counts and so they talked about all the hardships woman, blacks, etc, had to go thru to be able to vote. In the end, causing the voters to reali...more
Lizzy
This book is about the process of voting for a town mayor. It gets very detailed, including describing pollsters and recounts. It was very long (47 pages) so some of the more detailed parts could be skipped to adapt it for lower levels. In addition to the general, mainly informative sentences at the top of the page, there were comic book-style scenarios on each page to give examples and better explain the concepts. I like the idea of providing more examples, but this comic book style, non-linear...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for Kids @ TeensReadToo.com

I wholeheartedly believe that it's imperative that we teach children about the importance of voting. With the freedom of democracy in the United States, we have the ability to choose who we want to lead us. It's up to use to teach our children how wonderful that freedom really is!

Eileen Christelow presents VOTE! in an easy-to-read, easy-to-understand format, with fun characters and illustrations, that will appeal to even the youngest of readers. Althoug...more
Alicia Feller
Elmer is explaining to Sparky what voting is and why it is important. He explains the different parts of the election, from campaigning to speeches and debates, to ads and fundraising. He also shows Sparky how the people vote and how a winner is chosen.

At the end of the book, there are vocabulary words and a timeline of voting rights., as well as more resources students can visit for more information on voting and the voting process.

How I would use with students:

This text makes explaining the De...more
Jodi Heidlage
This is an interesting book that describes all of the ins and outs of voting, which is why it was shelved as social studies. This book gets very detailed and definitely has some concepts that are to difficult or abstract to understand for young children. Still, I think you could adapt the first part of the book so that it describes the concept of voting, and gives an idea of things that you would vote for.
Clare Masullo
Vote! is a great story following a young girl who's town is undergoing a mayoral election. The story is illustrated like a comic, with speech bubbles and many characters, as well as text along the bottom or top of each page. This would be great for children who are more visual, and prefer to look at striking images as opposed to focusing on text for content. Furthermore, the story delves into historical issues, like equality in voting, as the protagonist is an African American girl. The issue us...more
A cheerful and positive introduction to voting and American democracy. A wide variety of voting topics are covered using a story, narrated by two dogs, about a woman running for town mayor. The dogs explain who gets to vote, the history of voting rights, the actual voting process, and other common election topics such as polling and absentee voting. My only minor beef is that Christelow doesn't address the requirement of citizenship to vote.

Recommended for grades 1 - 3. I ordered this book for...more
A really excellent introduction to American election process, Vote uses two humorous canine narrators to take readers through the process of a mayoral election. Although the Electoral College is not covered since this is not a Presidential election, Christelow covers just about everything else, from how politicians earn and spend money, to how political advertising can work, to the history of American voting, to the basics of voter registration and the actual mechanics of voting. Packed with inf...more
Jessica Maddox
Title: Vote!
Author: Eileen Christelow
Genre: Fiction, Elections
Annotation:
Discussion Questions:
Cece
This book is great to read to students around election time. It explains how to get candidates into offices, the procedure for registering to vote, how to choose a candidate. It also explains how everyone didn't have the right to vote when the constitutions was first written. The book also explains how different campaigns get money,was to volunteer, and how elections are decided.
Audrey Evans
The electoral process is very confusing for many students. This book has a way of making clear sense of the process in an exciting way. The illustrations make a clear picture of the text allowing students to visualize different aspects of the process. Vote! is highly recommended as an anticipatory set or sectioned read aloud to illustrate a lesson regarding elections.
Datoria
(I) The is a nice informative picture book. I would use it for 1st-5th. I think that this book could be a bit challenging for that age group. I am not sure if that will fully understand the voting process. This book would be great to integrate social studies with drama, and writing. the students could have a mock election and follow the process given i the book.
Whitney Maglott
This story is great for teaching young students how voting works and why we vote in America. The book explains things in kid terms and is simple to understand. It even shows what a recount looks like. The information is given in the book by two dogs and a cat who ask and answer questions about the voting process and all that goes into that.
Johnny
I'm not only reviewing this picture book because I need to meet my year-end quota on Goodreads...it's a really great kids' book! It clearly explains the trappings of democracy, including its sordid history in America, AND it features some terrific diversity. Every elementary school teacher should use this book in class!!!
Christine
Apr 14, 2008 Christine rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Leftist Whackos
I thought, oh good - a book to read to my kids about the voting process! Think again. I guess you'd like this if you believe that all the good and honest politicians in America are Democrats and all Republicans are mean and overweight and out to take money from our schools to build sports stadiums. Barf-o-rama.
Kim
Great book to introduce kids to the voting process. The dog characters keep it humorous enough to hold their attention in between the explanations. Perfect for 1st to 3rd graders I would say. Would probably work for some kindergardeners as well.
Carlee
Jenna
Voting is a topic that students may or may not fully understand. This book in particular discusses campaigning and choosing a candidate. The author discusses political topics with comic style illustrations between two characters that will engage students.
Bethany Livengood
Positive, fun, and cheerful way to introduce children to voting. It encourages children to be a part of their country and have a voice in making decisions. Would be great to use as a read aloud before an election.
Ted Parsons
This story would be great to teach about the policial process. It explains concepts like candidates, policial parties, freedon to vote, etc.. The illustrations are a little bunched up, but they still enrich the story.
Bethe
great non-fiction book on the election process, very kid friendly with the comics section featuring the candidate's dogs. 2nd grade will get to do elections one more week in the library, got to share this fun book!
Jamie
This is a great book to teach about popular sovereignty. I would probably follow up to this by having students divided into groups where they could act out popular sovereignty in different ways.
Amelia
This book does an excellent job of describing the multiple aspects of voting and elections. This would be useful to teachers in social studies and for a read aloud of anticipatory set.
Derrith
An excellent introduction for kids (and maybe a few adults) to the democratic process and its importance. A good one for parents to read with their kids. And to discuss!
Suz
A good overview in kid-friendly language about the campaigning and election process. Be warned - the kids will not let you skip any of the comments by the family dogs.
Jackie
What it means to vote and how elected officials are voted in.

Used for "Who is Our President and What Does He Do All Day?" storytime-February, 2010.
Rachel
This is a great nonfiction book about the voting process and elections. Wouldn't be something to read aloud but it is a great for reference.
Theresa
explains the voting process in simple terms, children are able to understand the process of campain, decision, and regestering to vote
Denise
Great book to demonstrate the voting process and elections to kids. Pretty good detail that can spark a lot of great discussions.
Jen
This was a really enjoyable read about how the election process works - perfect for a 5.5 yr old.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed Five Little Monkeys Sitting in a Tree Five Little Monkeys Reading in Bed Five Little Monkeys Wash the Car Five Little Monkeys Play Hide and Seek