Start by marking “Blinded by the Right: The Conscience of an Ex-Conservative” as Want to Read:
Blinded by the Right: The Conscience of an Ex-Conservative

Blinded by the Right: The Conscience of an Ex-Conservative

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  1,038 ratings  ·  61 reviews
In a powerful and deeply personal memoir in the tradition of Arthur Koestler’s The God That Failed, David Brock, the original right-wing scandal reporter, chronicles his rise to the pinnacle of the conservative movement and his painful break with it.

David Brock pilloried Anita Hill in a bestseller. His reporting in The American Spectator as part of the infamous “Arkansas P
Published February 25th 2003 by Broadway Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Blinded by the Right, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blinded by the Right

The Constitution of the United States of America by Founding FathersThe Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the U... by Thomas JeffersonThe Federalist Papers by Alexander HamiltonGreen Illusions by Ozzie ZehnerThe Revolution by Ron Paul
Best Books to Become an Informed Voter
169th out of 669 books — 832 voters
The Shock Doctrine by Naomi KleinA People's History of the United States by Howard ZinnThe Conscience of a Liberal by Paul KrugmanNickel and Dimed by Barbara EhrenreichTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Best Progressive Reads
123rd out of 434 books — 229 voters

More lists with this book...

Richard
Granted, this book is a decade old, but Brock's book is a veritable "Who's Who" of the Republican right and an expose of the right-wing disinformation machine the Republicans built in the 90s. There are so many reviews of the book, I hesitated to write one. But here are some points many of the other reviews leave out.

Brock clearly shows that the worst thing that ever happened to the GOP was the collapse of communism. Without the communists to hate and deride, Republicans were left in a vacuum. T
Jess
Aug 14, 2007 Jess rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: nonfiction
I'm a few years late reading this book; I think at the time, I was a little disgruntled with the single-minded university politics around me and reviews that contained words and phrases like "tell-all!" "sensational!" and "insider's view on the right-wing conspiracy!" led me to believe that it was a politically motivated, sensationalist account.
I was so wrong. I think that I've had a hard time connecting to politics because coming of age as a political being in the time of Bush is just so surrea
Gayle Gordon
David Brock went from left to right to center and his journey makes a fascinating read. It's enlightening to hear what really goes on at the "other side." I came away from this book realizing that the hell the right puts Obama through isn't really new after all. I guess, even though I lived through it, I didn't realize how much of what went on with the Clintons was a real old-fashioned witch hunt. If the right spent as much time and energy and money trying to make things better for the average p ...more
matt

Eh. Brock's still more or less a self-flagellating opportunist. It's worth reading if you enjoy (as I do) getting the dirt on some of the shadier characters in the right wing. I loved hearing that Grover Norquist has a giant portrait of Lenin (!) in his living room, and that Newt Gingrich is pretty much as awful as you would imagine he is, and reading of Laura Ingraham crawling around on all fours, drunk, at a gay club while whacked out of her mind on cat tranquilizers just brings a small glimme
Wes Young
Extremely interesting inside look at the politics of the Christian Right as told by the former member. Oh yeah, and he was (still is) a gay man. Some very interesting stuff about the push to impeach Clinton and Brock's own personal justifications representing a lie.
Danielle
I totally loved this book, it stuck with me long after I read it. A riveting portrait of the conservative movement in the 1980s and 1990s, and a moving memoir about a man who changed his political allegiances at great personal cost.
Chad
I often like to grab a book that will challenge me and offer a point of view that I do not necessary hold. This was one of those books for me. However, it was extremely disappointing in offering nothing that was challenging.

The book is basically the memoir of a person who obviously have lead a tortured life and has taken it out on others in various ways. At first he was a conservative hit man writer and attacked liberals viciously while later he turned an became a leading liberal who now attack
Angela
When Brock (The Real Anita Hill; The Seduction of Hillary Rodham) was a freshman at the University of California at Berkeley in 1981, his political idol was Bobby Kennedy. Four years later, he was a committed conservative who idolized Oliver North and Robert Bork. In this book, Brock chronicles the political round trip back to his more liberal roots. Along the way, he earned the adoration of the extreme right, even after he acknowledged that he was gay, because he worked feverishly as a writer f ...more
Ryan Mishap
Read both of these in a two week period, so I’ll talk about both. The first, Blinded….is a memoir of a conservative “hitman” as Brock details his rise to neo-conservative “journalist” and subsequent disillusionment. He never gives, in my opinion, a satisfactory answer as to why a former liberal, gay man would devote his career to fronting propaganda for rich, bigoted, power-mad conservatives. His explanation starts at UC Berkeley where he finds himself upset that leftist students are shrill when ...more
Christopher Staley
Oct 01, 2007 Christopher Staley rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who want to know why everyone into politics is such a douchebag
I liked this book a lot better than any of the other gazillion anti-Bush/anti-Right books that I've read, because of the way it gives you an understanding of the mentality of the people that get into Coulter, O'Reilly, Rush, etc. The political snipes at the side that Brock used to represent, I could give a capital F about - what's great is the revelation that, like Brock, most ultra-conservatives are simply weird hyperbolic parodies of a conservative father whose love they were never able to win ...more
Karen Ashmore
I thought this was going to be an analysis of the conservative movement but instead it was more a journal of the author's activities as a right wing leader who was also a closeted gay. He did admit what we always knew- the conservative right wing is racist, sexist, homophobic and employs no fact checkers.
Lin Ennis
David Brock explains the politics of the Republican party as only an insider with good notes could. He eagerly became the talking puppet of the party for a decade, deluding himself he was an objective journalist with an obscene salary.

He reveals the why and how of Troopergate, the Arkansas Project, President and Hillary Clinton's persistent ethics scandals, and why the party has devolved into always being against, and not for anything. Against communism. Against the Clintons. And finally against
Gordon
An incredibly compelling depiction of the politics, ethics and structure of the right wing in contemporary politics. It brought together all the different characters that are in the news and links them idiologically, and politically. My only complaint w/the book was the lack of an index. If you ever wondered who Grover Norquist, Lee Atwater, or Midge Dechter are or what the Hoover, Heritage, Manhattan Institutes are, this will bring them all into perspective.

(Not really sure what year I read th
Trudy
Kai Palchikoff
Clinton hater recants
Kristen
I recommend this book to many of my "moderate" friends. I don't think there is any such thing as a "moderate" politics in this day and age. And once you read this book you'll realize why the left is a better place to be.

Brock is a great writer, has lots of great research and personal examples to support his case.

Solid book. I would rate it higher but many claim (perhaps correctly) that he is just angry. That anger may cloud his message. So while his means are at times a little aggressive, his en
Andy
Don't know how much of this book I believe, but it's certainly juicy, and an interesting look behind the scenes of the right-wing Clinton-bashing of the 90's. It catches a few of the key players with their pants down, as well. Since reading this book, my opinion of Brock has declined precipitously, due to his hysteria-tinged website, which tends to be engaged in a perpetual witch hunt against various and sundry rightists, usually talk-show hosts, for expressing opinions deemed politically incorr ...more
Alex
By now David Brock's story is a familiar one. Sickened by political correctness while a student at Berkeley, he was seduced by the growing neo-conservative movement and found himself flush with opportunities for tabloid style reportage when the culture wars hit high gear in the early 1990s. He slandered Anita Hill, Hillary Clinton and other notable women from the left before growing tired of right wing extremism.

Lots of interesting tidbits, although the writing is only average.
Thom
For those in my generation who were young during the Clinton years, and perhaps not well informed concerning how the U.S. has come into its current political climate, this book explains it all. A book of conscience, reason, and perhaps a little retaliation, Brock exposes the far right wing of the GOP in the 1990s as what they were and perhaps still are: partisan attack dogs who will use whatever means necessary to evicerate their "enemies": Americans themselves.
Charles
This is a courageous book by a former right-wing hatchet man who, as a gay man, found that he could no longer reconcile his political beliefs with the right-wing excoriation of all things gay. Although the book is no doubt dated now, it certainly reveals much information about the crazy period of the 1990s known as the "culture wars".
Heidi Hanson
This book will provide some very enlightening insights into some of the characters still on the political right's stage. However, the most interesting character in the book is the author himself. I can't explain it here - you have to read it for yourself. At times I had to put the book down; the author is that unlikeable. I am glad I made it to the end however as some of the best material in the book is contained in the closing chapters.
Trey Jackson
One thing I still remember about this book is that Brock was the head of the Young Republicans at UC Berkeley and it was the rigid dogmatism of the 'Free Speech Movement' that catalyzed and affirmed his conservatism. Had they lived up to their name and been open-minded enough to take challenge and debate, the Young Republicans chapter of Berkeley wouldn't have been as powerful. Knee-jerk ideology breeds knee-jerk ideology.
Richard
Jan 23, 2008 Richard rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who care more about demonising the right than they do eloquent writing
I wanted to like this--a closeted gay (and pretty cute) Republican biting the hand that fed him and revealing the truth that we all knew anyway, that Republicans are devious, soulless liars who will do and say ANYTHING to win? Sounds great. Too bad he's a terrible writer--the entire fact that he was a journalist is much more shocking than any of the revelations of decidedly questionable stories he disseminated.
Sara
Nov 17, 2008 Sara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: To any thinking person.
Recommended to Sara by: I heard David Rrock on the raidio
I was horrified and mesmerized. This brilliant book so completely exemplify the negative, unjust games the politicos play to gain and keep power. David Brock takes responsibility for his part in a number of negative schemes and has powerfully exposed some of the lies and manipulations of the conservative movement. Move over Anita Hill we have all gotten the shaft from the Conservative power mongers.

Caroline
True story about a journalist who was an ultra liberal in college. But he got pissed off at the ultra left wingers because they were so open minded they were closed minded. So he switched teams and describes the secretly gay "club" of right wing conservatives.
Cindy
I cannot say enough good things about this book. Get it, read it, recognize yourself (if you can), and change if need be. It empowered me to take on a very conservative political player during an airport layover. It'll empower you too.
G. Branden
A worthwhile exploration of the right-wing echo chamber, how it works, and what it can do to the people who operate within it.

That said, anyone who is deeply surprised by this book's content is just not cynical enough.
Betta
David Brock gives an insider's view of the Clinton Smear Campaign that dominated the GOP in the early 1990s. A well-written and profoundly honest account of Brock's endorsement and then disillusionment with conservatives.
Chrispy
Feb 13, 2008 Chrispy is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Re-reading. It's ASTONISHING how the people he worked with during the Bill Clinton lynchings have not only survived but prospered - names that are still very much in the news. It's chilling, really.
Matt Rainson
An ex-hired gun of the GOP reveals what goes on behind closed doors during a Rovian smear campaign. Maddening and sickening, but not at all surprising. Read if you feel like getting pissed off.
  • What Liberal Media?: The Truth about Bias and the News
  • Shrub: The Short but Happy Political Life of George W. Bush
  • Over the Cliff: How Obama's Election Drove the American Right Insane
  • F.U.B.A.R.: America's Right-Wing Nightmare
  • The Best Democracy Money Can Buy
  • American Theocracy: The Peril and Politics of Radical Religion, Oil and Borrowed Money in the 21st Century
  • American Fascists: The Christian Right and the War on America
  • The Price of Loyalty: George W. Bush, the White House, and the Education of Paul O'Neill
  • The Fall of the House of Bush: How a Group of True Believers Put America on the Road to Armageddon
  • The Clinton Wars
David^Brock.

There is more than one author by this name in the database.

David Brock is a journalist currently living in Washington, DC. He started out in professional journalism with a piece in "The Wall Street Journal", that caught the attention of John Podhoretz, who was assigned with starting a magazine for the conservative daily newspaper, "The Washington Times".

He worked as a news reporter for
More about David Brock...
The Fox Effect: How Roger Ailes Turned a Network into a Propaganda Machine The Republican Noise Machine: Right-Wing Media and How It Corrupts Democracy The Benghazi Hoax Free Ride: John McCain and the Media The Seduction of Hillary Rodham