Start by marking “Great Short Poems” as Want to Read:
Great Short Poems

Great Short Poems

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  16 reviews
This outstanding 150-poem anthology spans over 400 years of English and American literary history. Memorable compositions include Donne's "Death Be Not Proud," Blake's "The Tyger," Wordsworth's "I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud," Byron's "She Walks in Beauty," Shelley's "Ozymandias," as well as works by Tennyson, Whitman, Dickinson, Yeats, Frost, and many others. Includes 3 se ...more
Published February 18th 2000 by Dover Publications

To ask other readers questions about Great Short Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great Short Poems

Brendan
Nov 13, 2014 Brendan added it
Shelves: poetry
An inexpensive, no frills, easily portable book. A lot of the giants of poetry are represented here: Shakespeare, Browning, Whitman, Dickinson, Yeats, Frost, Sandburg, Eliot, etc. There are pieces from writers who are more known for other genres: Emily Bronte, Lewis Carroll, Thomas Hardy, Robert Louis Stevenson, Oscar Wilde, and Stephen Crane. There are also poems from lesser known writers.

So it's a good collection for reading poetry one might not encounter otherwise. It's a good collection for
Lis
In general the poems that are included ARE important (in terms of the English canon) AND accessible AND high quality (the sort of high quality that makes them fun to read, instead of the opposite). I do have one observation, though: 450 years of poetry and I can count the number of non-white, non-male poets on my fingers, and of those many of them are some very weird inclusions (few of the big name poets who are/were non-white and/or non-male). The poems by Emily Dickinson are all the "standardi ...more
D.M. Kilgore
Mar 29, 2014 D.M. Kilgore rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Poetry Lovers, Poets, Students
Wonderful collection of short poems in a very condensed book. It's small enough to stick in your pocket and carry with you anywhere. It covers some well-known favorites and some new poems as well. I found it to be well-rounded as it covers a variety of writers and subject. A great addition to any home library and perfect for students.
Daniel Wallock
Top of the line poetry. Beautiful!
Alex
the books is exactly what it promised a fine short collection of fine short poems, it spans many different poets and many different subjects. it is a great book for the price and just the sheer idea of a compendium of short but powerful poems so in a sense its a way to always bring one of your favorite poets with you (its a small volume and one of your favorites is bound to be in it) and also if you are not very familiar it also can serve as a great preview for many poets although many just have ...more
Gene
This was a great sampler of some really wonderful poets. Paul Negri did a great job with his selection of short poems. None of them was over 24 lines, but there were some real gems in there. Most of the authors were born before 1900, but the works in here are timeless.

For those who like to write their own poetry, I highly recommend this book as a source of inspiration for your own work.
William Cenlam
64/64

It has so many great writers and it was ordered base on time, so it isn't difficult to see how the authors' voices change through the poems. At the beginning, it didn't have a lot of African American writers, but after that, it has more and more African American writers and they showed their background at the same time and that why i gave this book 4 over 5 in rating
Lubna
Inspiration in less than 60 pages, that's what this book is. It has many great poems written by my favorite writers; Shakespeare, Oscar Wilde and Poe. Whenever I feel like I'm having a writer's block, I just read a few poems from it and suddenly words seem to flood on their own! I find it very enlightening and I hope whoever reads it, does as well.
Tracy
A collection of (deservedly) well-tread poems. If you don't have these classics somewhere, there certainly are worse places to get them. It was a nice way to re-tune my ear to old favorites, and discover a few new classic poets that I hadn't found before. It's opened up a realm of poetry for me to dig into this year.
Lesley
I enjoyed this collection of poems. Many were familiar already, but this was a nice, quick review of some classics. Favorite poems in this book included ones by Walt Whitman, Lewis Carroll, and Robert Frost.
Amanda
An interesting compilation of poems, some of which are very popular and some a little less known. I'm not a poem person myself but it was fun to read.
Samantha
I have been trying, by sheer force of will, to understand and thereby enjoy poetry. It's working, but really I was just using this as a warm up.
Dawn
I like the way the poems are laid out for the reader and all the poems!
Jake Cooper
Hit and miss, which makes for nice poet triage. (My pick: Stephen Crane.)
Dayna Smith
A fantastic collection of short poetry.
Ummu Habeeba
Ummu Habeeba marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Luis Martinez
Luis Martinez marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Janet Morris
Janet Morris marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Monique Robert
Monique Robert marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
ALIN DINCA
ALIN DINCA marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
  • Palgrave's Golden Treasury
  • World War One British Poets: Brooke, Owen, Sassoon, Rosenberg and Others
  • Endpoint and Other Poems
  • Best Poems of the Brontë Sisters
Great American Short Stories English Victorian Poetry: An Anthology Great Sonnets Great Russian Short Stories Metaphysical Poetry: An Anthology