Start by marking “A Tale Out of Luck” as Want to Read:
A Tale Out of Luck

A Tale Out of Luck

3.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  131 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Retired Texas Ranger Captain Hank Tomlinson intends to spend the rest of his days raising cattle on his Broken Arrow Ranch, and nurturing his frontier town of Luck, Texas. But when the brutal murder and scalping of a mysterious drifter leads to a clash between cavalry soldiers and a band of Comanche Indians suspected of the killing, a full-scale Indian uprising seems likel ...more
Published September 3rd 2008 by Center Street (first published September 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Tale Out of Luck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Tale Out of Luck

Suzanne Moore
Mar 14, 2014 Suzanne Moore rated it it was amazing
Shelves: western
Cowboys, Indians, cattle rustlers, Texas Rangers, Calvary, and an albino ... this western has it all. Jay Blue and Skeeter set out to recover a missing thoroughbred horse from their father's corral. The horse is believed to be stolen by Indians, so the boys go to the Calvary for help. The Calvary stirs up trouble with the Comanches after the body of a cowboy is found. Hank, the boys' father, and a retired Texas Ranger get wrapped up in the hunt for the cowboy's murderer. The cowboy turns out to ...more
Denise
Feb 20, 2016 Denise rated it really liked it
This western has it all, cattle, horses, cowboys, family, love, fighting, Indians. I had no idea Willie Nelson had a book out there and I wish there were more. This was a fast moving western for me, a one day read!

A family that has made the town of Luck, TX has like all families growing pains. As the son grows he wants to spread his wings and fly on his own, which of course leads to a heap of trouble. While dad has a hot temper he dad stands behind his son and not only the better for them, but
Michael Marcela
Sep 16, 2015 Michael Marcela rated it liked it
Just finished reading a Tale Out of Luck by Willie Nelson and Mike Blakely. I give this book three stars. As Westerns go, it has all the right ingredients: Cowboys, Indians, Saloon girls, cattle-rustlers and a bevy of strange characters. The story is good and holds your attention but the real saving grace for me was the ending. The book (and the writing) picks up and makes for a hard to put down conclusion, albeit a bit too perfect.

The shortcomings of this book lie with the writing. The charact
David
Oct 10, 2011 David rated it liked it
Shelves: completed
I don't know how much of this book is the "red-headed stranger" himself and how much of it is his coauthor, Mike Blakely. However, I have to say that this is a quality western novel-- it is nicely paced, realistic, and remembers to maintain a connection with the historical period. In some ways, it may remind readers of Lonesome Dove, though certainly not as much of an epic as that wonderful western tale is. Still, it isn't as if the authors write a Lonesome Dove clone, this novel stands well on ...more
Clark  Isaacs
Jan 02, 2012 Clark Isaacs rated it really liked it
A Tale Out Of Luck
Author: Willie Nelson with Mike Blakely
ISBN: 978-1-59995-732-6 Pages: 256, $21.99, Publication Date: September 3, 2008, Hard Cover, Fiction, Published by Center Street, a division of Hachette Book Group.

This is the first novel by music legend Willie Nelson, co-authored with Mike Blakely. Willie built the town of Luck, Texas, which inspired A Tale Out of Luck.

Captain Hank Tomlinson, a well-respected retired Texas Ranger, owner of the Broken Arrow Ranch is the main character. He
Terry Roper
I agree with other reviews, I was pleasantly surprised by this book, having checked it out for the novelty of reading a book by Willie Nelson. It was co-written by another author so am not sure what factor that plays but I would be willing to read his next work of fiction [and I am not typically a reader of westerns!]
Ellen
Oct 26, 2015 Ellen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Nelson fans, western readers
Recommended to Ellen by: Nelson's autobiography
Shelves: finished
Retired TX Ranger, son & ward, Indians, competition rancher, stolen KY mare, former slave & wife, scalped dead man all combine for an intriguing Western tale with some surprising twists. Extra star for the surprises.
Rachel
May 16, 2009 Rachel rated it it was ok
I'm on a serious not-finishing streak, which I'm not thrilled about, but this book, by Willy Nelson and co-author (in much smaller type on the cover) Mike Blakely, although entertaining, just didn't hold me. It's a cowboy mystery and could do very well as a beach read, and it's nicely evocative of a mythical bygone American West, but there's just too many clinkers for me to stick with it.
Vennie
Feb 07, 2012 Vennie rated it liked it
What a book! Willie Nelson has talent in more than just the music field. The book is set at a ranch in Luck, Texas and it has everything a historic western could hope for! Love and romance, betrayal, rich land owners and cowboys and Indians! A quick and very enjoyable read.
Vicky
Apr 19, 2009 Vicky rated it liked it
Well I have'nt read a western for a very long time, but this caught my eye at the library. Of course, I have listened to Willie's music for a very long time so I was curious about his writing. It was very entertaining, a bit predictable but worth reading for a quick, light read.
mark
May 29, 2009 mark rated it it was amazing
Maybe it's corny, but I loved this story. It's set in Texas, of course, in the old west pre-oil, when there was just cattle, wild horses, and wild Indians, and of course--men gone bad. Willie Nelson's love of life, love, justice, & music all come shinning through.
Jacob
Jan 03, 2014 Jacob rated it it was ok
Shelves: south
Answers the question of if Willie should have been a novelist instead of a singer.
David
Nov 13, 2014 David rated it it was ok
Shelves: westerns, fiction
A Tale Out of Luck by Willie Nelson (Center Street 2008) (Fiction – Western). This is a cowboy story full of clichés. It doesn’t do justice to the Willie legend, or at least it adds nothing new. My rating: 6/10, finished 2010.
Art
Oct 07, 2013 Art rated it did not like it
Shelves: old-west-fiction
I guess I'm kind if a snob when it comes to westerns so this one barely had me hanging on, but when they got to the army post and the password was password...well I have other books to read.
Mailmanr5
Oct 24, 2008 Mailmanr5 rated it really liked it
I give it 4 stars because it lives up to the standards of an old fashioned western. Good guys vs bad guys. Everyone should read a western once a year just to keep your perspectives open.
Garrett Cash
Some of the names were a bit cheesy and the dialogue a little cringe worthy, but most of the time Willie Nelson excels in writing a murder story in a small Texas town.
Vern
Nov 03, 2010 Vern rated it really liked it
Surprisingly satisfying read. Willie writes a good western, not surprisingly, there is music in the pages, but not the way I expected. Give it a try!
Amie
Oct 09, 2008 Amie added it
This book is awesome, so is it's author. I don't usually love westerns, but this one sucked me in right away.
Katie
Jul 10, 2011 Katie rated it really liked it
Writing was just standard, but it's a great cowboys and indians story. Good job Willie Nelson!
Richard E Chamberlin
A fun jaunt through an old west mystery novel by one of America's best country/outlaw singers.
Lori
May 22, 2010 Lori rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, western
Not a bad western. I was just too curious not to check this out.
Enid
Oct 29, 2011 Enid rated it it was amazing
Not great literature, bu way fun read and in some places brilliant.
Demetra Smith
Aug 10, 2013 Demetra Smith rated it it was amazing
wonderful western by a man who understands Texas.
Allene Hood
Apr 23, 2011 Allene Hood rated it liked it
Totally reminded me of Bonanza
Kilpatrick
starts slow but ends well i enjoyed it
Debbi Smith
Debbi Smith marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Fran
Fran marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Traci Domergue
Traci Domergue rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Andrew Vickers
Andrew Vickers marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
  • Badger Boy (Texas Rangers, #2)
  • Payback at Morning Peak
  • Shavetail
  • The Unforgiven
  • Perforated Heart
  • Northfield
  • Your Heart's Desire
  • Balm of Gilead (Healing Grace, #3)
  • Remember Me When (Women of Hope #2)
  • Daughter of the Regiment
  • Blackout
  • The Dog That Saved Stewart Coolidge
  • The Linen Queen
  • Just Life
Willie Hugh Nelson is an American singer-songwriter and actor. He is widely regarded as one of the most beloved and notorious country music singers. He reached his greatest fame during the so-called "outlaw country" movement of the 1970s, but remains iconic, especially in American popular culture. In recent years he has continued to tour, record, and perform, and this, combined with activities in ...more
More about Willie Nelson...