Start by marking “Pumpkin Heads” as Want to Read:
Pumpkin Heads

Pumpkin Heads

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  150 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
One of the best-loved activities of the year is picking out your favorite pumpkin and carving a smiling, frowning, silly, or scary face -- a pumpkin head!October is here. It's time to pick a pumpkin!

On Halloween every pumpkin becomes a pumpkin head.

Some are big. Some are small.

Pumpkin heads can be found in the strangest places.

Here is an engaging Halloween treat that will
Published September 1st 2000 by Blue Sky Press

To ask other readers questions about Pumpkin Heads, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pumpkin Heads

The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda WilliamsThe Hallo-wiener by Dav PilkeyThe Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree by Stan BerenstainScary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin SchwartzRoom on the Broom by Julia Donaldson
Best Halloween Picture Books
72nd out of 348 books — 355 voters
The Halloween Tree by Ray BradburySomething Wicked This Way Comes by Ray BradburyDracula by Bram StokerThe Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Bo HamptonFrankenstein by Mary Shelley
Best Halloween Books
363rd out of 392 books — 461 voters

More lists with this book...

Judy Desetti
Apr 02, 2016 Judy Desetti rated it really liked it
Sadly I cannot get this title from my vendor any more. Is it really already out of print? I saw the cover on a website and loved it.

A very simple story of pumpkins being created into all sorts of faces and shapes. Fun!!

Recommend. Great for kindergarten.
Alice
Aug 25, 2014 Alice rated it really liked it
The air is changing and kids are back to school, perfect to pick up a Fall book. It leans towards Halloween but can just be a harvest book took! My pumpkins are all ready to pick...and I have 2 months until Halloween ! I like the pictures and the story! Nice book!
Matthew
Apr 15, 2015 Matthew rated it really liked it
Shelves: holiday-books
You can't go wrong with Wendell Minor. This is a very simple text about pumpkins that are carved into Jack-O-Lanterns, but the illustrations are so lifelike that at times I had to double take to check that they weren't photographs. Minor is one of the greats.
Tina Eckenroth
Oct 20, 2015 Tina Eckenroth rated it really liked it
A favorite of mine! The illustrations are fantastic, but personally I find them a little scary (the cover reminds me for some reason of the Headless Horseman and he has always creeped me out! Shivers..).
June
Oct 27, 2014 June rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Halloween and pumpkin requests
Recommended to June by: Katie Fitzgerald
Fairly simple for a toddler pumpkin Halloween time, but not sure if it will make my selection for my Lap Time
Vivian
Apr 14, 2014 Vivian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Delightful full-page illustrations and brief bold text celebrate the jack-o-lantern.
Kristanne Duncan
Oct 29, 2012 Kristanne Duncan rated it really liked it
This is a cute, simple book about pumpkins and Halloween. A great book to read around Halloween time, even if you are not actually celebrating Halloween because this story tells about going to the pumpkin patch to pick your own pumpkin. The story goes on to talk about all the different types of pumpkins and what you can do with pumpkins. Such as the silly faces you can carve and the themes help create, as well as pumpkin themed hot air balloons. I think it would be fun to carve pumpkins after re ...more
Amie
Nov 19, 2015 Amie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hope, faith
A cute book with very few words. Great for Halloween.
Rachel
Oct 07, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: juliet
I especially enjoyed the illustrations in this book.
Marianne Moseley
Feb 13, 2012 Marianne Moseley rated it really liked it
Pumpkin Heads is a fun and engaging book for young readers. The illustrations are paintings that incorporate fall backgrounds and set the seasonal theme of Halloween. There are many different faces and and pictures carved on the pumpkins that will keep the children interested throughout the entire story.

I would read this story to my class near Halloween. I would then split the children up into groups to carve pumpkins. They will learn to work together and celebrate Halloween.
Jackie
Aug 07, 2010 Jackie rated it it was amazing
With its simple text, and bright bold pictures, Pumpkin Heads! by Wendell Minor make Halloween (and all its festive finery) come alive. You'll be wishing Halloween was every month, as the holiday is rich with kid-friendly traditions and pleasantly frightening fun.

Used for "Pumpkins, Pumpkins Everywhere" Storytime-October, 2010.
Fjóla
I would rate it 3 1/2 stars if I could. There is not much text, but the illustrations are really cool. Inspiring and sure to give you lots of ideas for carving, whether that's the purpose or not. A winner with my 5 year old who took it to linger over the pictures after our read.
Cassi Dick
Apr 29, 2013 Cassi Dick rated it really liked it
This is a fun book that talks about all the fun activities you get to do when it comes Halloween time. You could use this book in a 1st grade classroom to get kids excited about Halloween before they go home and go tricker-treating.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
A phrase or sentence per page with detailed artwork on the opposite page. The very brief story opens with October and ends with a "Happy Halloween!"

Theme: pumpkins
Additional themes: Halloween, October

Reviewed from a library copy.
Jennybug
This book had the most amazing pictures. It almost makes you want to rip out the pages and frame them to hang on your walls. The story is short and would be great to read to young children.
Tanya W
Nov 17, 2012 Tanya W rated it really liked it
Simple Halloween book with great illustrations. It had a lot of ideas for pumpkin carving... I like the idea of making pumpkins into a snowman shape.
Beverly
Oct 07, 2013 Beverly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Beautifully executed illustrations with many creative and inventive jack-o-lantern faces. Very short text, so the book is suitable for story times.
Amy
This book is short and talks about pumpkins and Halloween. It talks about all the places you may see a pumpkin during October and Halloween.
Robandsuzie
Oct 16, 2008 Robandsuzie rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
we loved this one for getting us ready to pick a pumpkin and get it carved. It is very cute. Hailey loves the 'scarey' pumpkin faces.
Teri
Nov 01, 2012 Teri rated it really liked it
Shelves: halloween
This is a short preschool age book. But I would use it to give my kids a lot of ideas for carving their own pumpkins.
Megan
Oct 13, 2008 Megan rated it it was amazing
austin read this to me. it was a short book but, he could read it. we got it at Bright Little Minds
Bryan
Oct 10, 2012 Bryan rated it it was amazing
Great pictures. Kids get all sorts of ideas for their jack-o-lanterns from this book.
Bridget
Fun book. Cool illustrations and an easy read for the kids.
Sep 27, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it
Some of the pumpkin heads were kind of creepy.
Nicole
Oct 13, 2012 Nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: picture_book, holiday
Good visuals for a Halloween read-aloud...
Kristin
Aug 04, 2011 Kristin rated it liked it
This book is best for 3-year-olds.
Cara
Oct 05, 2011 Cara rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I liked all of the jack o lanterns.
Polly
  • Frank Was a Monster Who Wanted to Dance
  • Pumpkin Moonshine
  • The Runaway Pumpkin
  • Miss Smith and the Haunted Library
Wendell Minor was born and raised in the town of Aurora, Illinois. Drawing and painting have always been an integral part of his life, and after completing his studies at the Ringling School of Art and Design in Sarasota, Florida, Wendell began creating original designs for book publishers in New York City. His children's books have consistently exhibited his love for the land and environment.

Illu
More about Wendell Minor...