Start by marking “The Dragon Boy” as Want to Read:
The Dragon Boy

The Dragon Boy

Orphaned twice by the time he was nine, he was living on the streets and did not even know his own name. He was not allowed to set foot inside the one place he was determined to find work. To complete the disaster of his young life, the object of his affections was Star, an immense, emerald-green dragon. But good fortune finally smiled upon him: Star was a Luck Dragon. Une ...more
Published May 8th 2008 by Awsna Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragon Boy

Tad Wisenor
Jan 04, 2014 Tad Wisenor rated it it was amazing
Read this out loud to my 8-year-old son and we both loved it!
Phaedra Seabolt
Mar 26, 2012 Phaedra Seabolt rated it it was amazing
It's not a supernatural story like I have been reading lately, but this story jumped out at me. It just looked like one of those stories that I could read to my son at bedtime soon. We LOVE dragons in this house, hence naming our son Drake, and therefore I really want to have a collection of stories about dragons that he can be read/read himself later. The Mom's Choice Award said it was good for children and the Moonbeam Children's Book Award said that kids like it.

My Opinion of the story? It to
Stacie
Apr 02, 2012 Stacie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
The Dragon Boy by Donald Samson is the first book in his Star Trilogy Series. In the first book we are introduced to an old woman named Galifalia. Much mystery surrounds her and she ultimately takes on the duty of raising "the boy" as her own. However, Galifalia is an old woman and dies when the boy is still young. Left to fend for himself on the streets he attempts entrance in the dragon compound where he hopes to find work with the dragon. Finally, after months of waiting the boy is allowed in ...more
Jen
Mar 06, 2012 Jen rated it liked it
I noticed this on the shelf at Barnes and Noble the other day -- never seen it before. And when I saw that the author was from Colorado I thought, "Eh. Why not? Might be good to support a local author." But I rarely buy books before I've read them and I even more rarely buy the first in a trilogy before I see how it ends, as I have a hunch that the second and third books in a trilogy are not being edited as closely as the first. At least not in recent years.

So I requested it from the library and
Gail
Jun 22, 2016 Gail rated it it was amazing
Children's book- good for ages 9 and above

Truly a remarkable book- worth reading for those that love dragon books and how hard work pays off. Similar to Eragon- A young babe is brought to an old woman by a man. There is a story that is hinted about but not really explained- she had an adventure- did something remarkable and then settled down in a community that really didn't include her, but let her be. She accepts the baby and raises him until she dies and then he is on the streets. He wants to
Kate
May 16, 2013 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy, ya
A nice romp, which I will definitely pass on to my kids. Good characterizations, decent plot, and beautiful silhouette illustrations at the chapter breaks.

This may seem like some standard fantasy-fare at first, but it has some nice twists. This is a world with both good (luck) dragons and dangerous (wild) dragons. So far, no signs of magic (except for the dragons). Clear hints of the history of the characters, which will impact the future.

I just ordered the next two books in this trilogy, aft
Rahul
Aug 14, 2013 Rahul rated it really liked it
When authors come to my school, I always get a few books and have them sign them. So when Donald Samson came to my school a year or 2 ago, I got the first 2 books. (The 3rd hadn't come out yet) I was immediately into the book by the first chapter, at the most. Both the 1st and 2nd books were amazing!
Joey Kilmer
Dec 18, 2013 Joey Kilmer rated it liked it
It is a sweet story about the relationship between a boy and a dragon. Overall it was a pleasant and quick read. My one major complaint was that this story doesn't feel complete by itself, rather the whole thing feels like one large prologue to the rest of the series. I'm looking forward to reading the next books to see where it goes from here.
catharine
Apr 24, 2012 catharine rated it liked it
This was a very cute coming of age book about a boy and his dragon that I received as a gift. I look forward to reading it to someone small I love.

It doesn't stand alone as satisfying YA fiction, but would be excellent as a challenging chapter book for an early reader, or read aloud at bedtime.
Jill
Jul 16, 2012 Jill rated it really liked it
Shelves: junior, fantasy
Donald Samson spoke at my daughter's school--so, of course, she needed to buy the trilogy. While she has not been tempted to read them, I have. I wish the boy's story before landing in the dragon compound was a little more developed, but I like this well enough to move on to Book Two.
Emily Mellow
Oct 08, 2013 Emily Mellow rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, series
Very decent book about a boy with a mysterious past who can talk to dragons. More the type of book Nik usually reads to the kids (hard life of a kid, training, weapons, bullies, etc) but still interesting enough for me to want to finish the series with the kids.
Darby Karchut
Nov 07, 2012 Darby Karchut rated it it was amazing
Just got this today at Barnes & Noble. Donald Samson, the author, was there signing his books, so not only did I get another great book, it is autographed. Very cool!

Update: a great early middle grade read!
Denae Christine
Dec 29, 2010 Denae Christine rated it liked it
Shelves: epic-fantasy, dragons
I don't know if I will read the next, but the series has potential, though the world does not feel very thought out. The world is bland, sort of like the characters, though those, too, have potential.
Jessa
Feb 03, 2013 Jessa rated it really liked it
Really a lovely story with positive characters. I felt buoyed and uplifted the entire time I was reading. A feel-good book without being sugary-sweet. I'm looking forward to reading the next two in the trilogy sometime soon!
Dec 27, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
Interesting story, though the pacing is a little slow. An enjoyable read, though I wish more happened in the story. Not reading the rest of the series at this point because I am not sure how much I would get out of it.
Sartan
Jul 05, 2012 Sartan rated it really liked it
This book was such a good book. It was cute and entertaining. I have to go buy the rest of the trilogy now!
Cheryl
Jun 05, 2011 Cheryl rated it really liked it
I love finding good books that interest my boys. I thought this was a great book and can't wait for the third in the series.
Kristi
Jan 19, 2011 Kristi rated it really liked it
Shelves: 3rd-4th-grade
I am reading this aloud to my 3rd/4th grade classroom and it is a great story! Yes, the details could be a bit more colorful, but I have heard the second book is better.
David
Aug 26, 2012 David rated it it was amazing
Wow, the target audience is children/young adults, but it's good enough to entertain adults - if one has any sort of imagination! Wholesome fun without being saccharine.
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2012
Brent Warkentine
Nov 06, 2012 Brent Warkentine rated it it was amazing
Really liked this book. Great for kids
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2010
alicia croy
alicia croy rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2015
Heather Reeds
Heather Reeds rated it did not like it
Nov 03, 2016
Paco Hernandez
Paco Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2013
Valin Kobrinsky
Valin Kobrinsky rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2015
Jennifer Brainerd
Jennifer Brainerd rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2015
Tamara
Tamara rated it it was ok
Sep 26, 2016
Robin Francis
Robin Francis rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
For nineteen years I was a Waldorf classroom teacher in grades 1 - 8. I had the pleasure of telling my students a story every day. I was able to share all of my favorite fairy tales, saint stories, fables, myths, and historical biographies depending on the grade. One autumn, I wanted to tell my children a new story, one that had never been told before. The story went on for weeks. The children lov ...more
More about Donald Samson...