Start by marking “On Beyond Zebra!” as Want to Read:
On Beyond Zebra!

On Beyond Zebra!

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  2,412 Ratings  ·  129 Reviews
If you think the alphabet stops with Z, you are wrong. So wrong. Leave it to Conrad Cornelius o'Donald o'Dell (with a little help from Dr. Seuss) to create an entirely new alphabet beginning with Z! This rhyming picture book introduces twenty new letters and the creatures that one can spell with them. Discover (and spell) such wonderfully Seussian creations as the Yuzz-a-m ...more
Published September 12th 1955 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about On Beyond Zebra!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Beyond Zebra!

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
434th out of 3,708 books — 5,287 voters
Oh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. SeussHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussMoo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra BoyntonHorton Hears a Who! by Dr. SeussGo, Dog. Go! by P.D. Eastman
Titles with an Exclamation Point!
17th out of 635 books — 46 voters

More lists with this book...

Archit Ojha
Oct 15, 2016 Archit Ojha rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks

The verses go on knitting a web intertwined with another web of imaginations.

The poem flows. A nice one with mellifluous words.

There are letters beyond Z. Yes, there's a whole new world out there.

Takes you to a land of an imaginary language with never before heard words that are figments of a child's imagination.

PS : Ritu, Sam might present us with a thoroughgoing Sam-made language like Greg Heffley and Rowley.
Aug 29, 2015 Jay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
In a multiverse of interpretations, here is another one. Opens with two mutants: Conrad Cornelius o'Donald o'Dell, a kid with a comb-over, and the narrator, some weirdo who has a fascination for buttocks. On panel one, Weirdo touches his buttocks while some mangy mutt that snuck into the classroom looks on. In panel two we learn that Conrad is a know-it-all while Weirdo leans in for a good look at the zebra's buttocks.

(view spoiler)
King Ævil
Dec 28, 2010 King Ævil rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, childrens, 2010
As a kid I loved weird words and other linguistic hijinx, and so it's no surprise that On Beyond Zebra was on the short list of favorite Seuss books. After rereading it just now, I realized that it was special in one other way: perhaps more than any other of the master's works, it spurred me to creativity (just like Conrad Cornelius o'Donald o'Dell in the story!). Looking back with my jaded, myopic grown-up eye, I can see that the new letters beyond Z are simple amalgamations of ordinary Roman l ...more
Aug 18, 2016 Pooja rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Pooja by: Archit Ojha
Shelves: ebooks
My husband told me that we should read this book. I must say I couldn't think of anything from the title.

We were browsing though the pages and suddenly he says that at the end of this book, there is a list of alphabets for those who don't stop at Z.
I couldn't wait reading this book with him.
This book is educational and one of it's own kind, making someone's imagination wide and open.

A book that will teach Sam never to stop at anything, specially at Z.
Everyone's stopping at Z but no no, not Sam.
True Rating: 3.5 (Leaning towards 3)

After reading such a sad and dark story, I needed something to cheer me up and get me out of a funk so I decided to read Dr. Seuss which made perfect sense to bring back the inner child in me.

I was rather disappointed by this book and it's mainly because I am no longer a child. The story is about a boy who learns about the alphabets and he uses the names of the animal to associate with the letters. Once he reaches to Z for Zebra, he is excited that now he know
Aug 03, 2015 Sylvia rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-books
Ketika semua orang berhenti mengabjad di huruf Z, tidak demikian dengan karakter di dalam buku ini. Karena justru setelah huruf Z lah mengabjad dimulai!

Diawali dengan huruf YUZZ untuk mengeja Yuzz-a-ma-Tuzz, dilanjutkan dengan WUM untuk mengeja Wumbus, sejenis paus yang tinggal di atas bukit dan tidak pernah turun kecuali saat harus mengisi ulang air untuk disemprotkan di atas kepalanya.

Setelah itu ada UM yang digunakan untuk mengeja Umbus, sejenis sapi dengan satu kepala dan satu ekor, namun ba
May 23, 2011 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-my-boys
After a short break, we are once again picking up from where we left off on our Dr. Seuss library marathon. This is a wonderful book to encourage an active imagination. My 4-year-old enjoyed it more than my 6-year-old, which is funny since he can not yet read as his brother does.

I do not remember reading this when I was a child but I know I would have loved it. It makes me think of the inital stirrings I felt when I first read Tolkien and the language he created.
Douglas Noblehorse
A classic for showing kids how to think beyond the normal...
Michelle McBeth
Jan 12, 2015 Michelle McBeth rated it it was amazing
On the first page of this story, a boy has just recited his ABCs when another boy comes along and says, why stop there? He then proceeds to tell Conrad O'Dell all about of his made up letters that he uses to go beyond Z. He also has a made up thing that goes with each letter. Conrad O'Dell decides that he has indeed been missing out by stopping only at Z and begins to make up his own alphabet.

The illustrations are mostly red, black, white and blue, but are of the high quality expected from Dr. S
Candace Ryan
Jun 30, 2010 Candace Ryan rated it it was amazing
Dr. Seuss proves he's the Einstein of kidlit with this book. It took a while for the world to "get" E=mc², blowing the roof off Newtonian physics. Dr. Seuss blows the roof off the alphabet and language itself with this book.

Cool kidlit scholar Philip Nel writes in Dr. Seuss: American Icon, "...On Beyond Zebra is Seuss's Finnegans Wake." 'Nuff said?
Yashira Marie
May 08, 2009 Yashira Marie rated it it was amazing
This book is really amazing... it inspires you to think outside the box and to not accept things just the way they are, but go beyond them, explore and wonder. I LOVE IT!
Sep 02, 2008 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood-loves
I believe I had this memorized by the time I was three. When my little brother was old enough, I got to recite it to him. I didn't need the pages for the words, just the pictures.
Feb 18, 2015 Stacie rated it it was amazing
Plot: Most people are content with A-Z, but not our creative narrator. Follow him on an epic journey through the letters that lie beyond Z. There is so much more out there if only you are open to the possibilities!

Setting: Dr. Seuss's world

Characters: Narrator and Conrad Cornelius o'Donald o'Dell

Point of View: 1st Person, narrator

Theme: Creativity, Imagination

Style: Picture Book, Children's Book

Copyright: 1955

Note: I LOVE this book. I have never read it before and I can't believe that I have gon
Dean Whitlock
Oct 03, 2015 Dean Whitlock rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I read On Beyond Zebra when I was in third grade and it grabbed me more than any of the other Seuss books before or after (and I have read a lot of them). It is definitely one of the reasons that I am an author. The story is not about the alphabet, it is about imagination in its purest form - taking the everyday and running away with it to wild and wonderful places that no one had ever seen before. The circus and zoo provide a context to build on, but starting only with letters is at the root of ...more
Aadya Gupta
On Beyond Zebra by Dr. Seuss is an inspirational book with fun for all the kids. I would like to share my likes and dislikes about this book as below -

Likes: Dr. Seuss used very good rhyming words and jokes to convey the message that kids can create their own set of alphabets to remember the difficult and similar vocabulary.

Dislikes: I feel there is a scope of improvement under following two areas
1. Better relevant pictures can be placed to help kids understand the context and generate interest
José Oroño
May 11, 2016 José Oroño rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
The kind of book that makes me wish I was more of a bookworm during my early years. I've got mixed feeling about this:

First at all, I can't help but think that I'm missing something reading it by the end of my teenage years and, to make matters worse, in my second language.

That said, having only started learning English 2 (almost 3) years ago, and not being familiar with KidLit or Seuss' ouvre, I was caught off guard by his surreal imagery and ingenious rhymes. This book gave me a sense of wond
Shelby Haltom
Feb 21, 2016 Shelby Haltom rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
This is another grand Dr. Seuss picture book. This book embodies a powerful message of simply going above and beyond past what you think you are capable of.
This is not a Dr. Seuss book I usually think of, since it has longer paragraphs on each page than some of his simpler books. However, I really enjoyed this one.
I would use this in my classroom, especially during language arts time. While creating new letters isn't in quite what kids are being taught, being creative and opening up new lines
Stephanie Tuell
lots of big funny words
Sep 27, 2015 Josiah rated it it was ok
When I think on the reasons why the works of Dr. Seuss have retained their freshness and relevance in the world of literature for so long, one of the foremost explanations that I come back to time and again is the unique energy with which their writing is infused. Every line, every page, every book is filled with a rare kind of zany energy that one doesn't often find in picture books of today, let alone in ones from the middle of the twentieth century. Dr. Seuss never strayed from the foundatio ...more
Author / Illustrator: Dr Seuss
First Published: 1955 (renewed 1983)

It's Dr Seuss.

It's rhythmic, lyrical, fun to read. Bright and colourful. Absurd and enjoyable.

That's pretty much all you need to know.

But to fulfil the needs of a "review"...

In terms of child-appeal, the idea there might be more letters in the alphabet confused my rule-based daughter - she just isn't good at silly. But Dr Seuss' fun vignettes combining nonsense characters and nonsense words with nonsense tales tickled her. With a
Sarah Sammis
Sep 02, 2009 Sarah Sammis rated it liked it
On Beyond Zebra by Dr. Seuss is a book I somehow missed in my own childhood. I have memories of reading through stacks and stacks of Seuss books but somehow this one wasn't among them. I first heard of it through my son who read it at his school library. He has been raving about it since he read it and I finally found a copy at our local library so I could read it.

On Beyond Zebra is a playful book that takes a look at our alphabet and proposes twenty-one extra letters with explanations of how th
Faith Bailey
Sep 13, 2016 Faith Bailey rated it really liked it
Shelves: rdng-350
Dr. Seuss takes us on a tour of the world and the alphabet beyond the letter "z". He shows us that there is much more to be seen and spelled if you don't stop at "zebra".
I love Dr. Seuss, but because his work has been around for so long, I'm not really surprised or as amused by it as I used to be. I still love the impossible reality that he create and think that kids appreciate that creativity.
This will always have a place in school/classroom libraries.
Jul 08, 2016 Tracey rated it really liked it
Just when you thought you knew the whole 26 letters of the alphabet, Dr Seuss comes along and introduces more. Seriously, I think it must have been incredible to have been inside Dr Seuss' head for a day. His imagination and the characters are terribly funny. A really enjoyable book for children.
Jazmin Palma
Great book to encourage imagination. This book could not be read all in one day to preschoolers but I could break it up into parts. And as we read through it, we would look at the rhyming word and I would ask the children to identify the rhyming words.
Austin Wright
Feb 04, 2015 Austin Wright rated it it was amazing
One of his most creative books. It is a shame I first read it at the age of 32.

Judith and Neil Morgan, Geisel's biographers, note that most of the letters resemble elaborate monograms, "perhaps in Old Persian".
Oct 30, 2014 Shelley rated it really liked it
Shelves: age-2
I love Dr. Seuss....I like that this one seems to say to kids that the alphabet isn't a set thing, but they are free to explore and imagine. We read it and then I had Ethan make up his own letter: draw and name it.
Nia King
Jul 14, 2014 Nia King rated it really liked it
What a way to play with words and encourage creativity. Who would image turning the alphabet backwards. This story challenges children to play with different sound, this can emerge literacy and aid in pronunciation.
Mary Kate
Aug 05, 2015 Mary Kate rated it really liked it
Not on my list of favorite Cat In The Hat books yet still a fun read. It was especially fun to read to my sister who was in utter disbelief at how many letters was after Z. She kept shaking her head the whole time(:
Jan 20, 2015 Nickie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If there were more letters, think of all the things you could spell. A bit long winded, lost interest in a few places. You could have a create your own letter lesson with your kids.
Jun 11, 2015 Chris rated it it was amazing
It was a really fun, really quick read and really well-written Dr. Seuss book. It had really fantastic illustrations, really silly rhymes, really fun characters and really good story. This is going to be one of my new favorite Dr. Seuss books that I've ever read. I really recommend this book to Seuss fans of all ages.
Seuss Lovers: On Beyond Zebra! 1 1 Dec 06, 2012 06:48PM
  • Harriet, You'll Drive Me Wild!
  • The Nose Book
  • The Animals' Christmas Eve
  • Eric Carle's Dragons, Dragons
  • The Boy on Fairfield Street
  • Curious George Takes a Train
  • The Bike Lesson
  • Choral Warm-ups from A-Z: Singing Dr. Seuss's ABC
  • Oh the Things You Can Do That Are Good for You!
  • Dr. Seuss's Gertrude McFuzz: Vocal Score
  • Dr. Seuss Goes to War: The World War II Editorial Cartoons of Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • The Little Red Hen Big Book
  • Oliver
  • My Mama Says There Aren't Any Zombies, Ghosts, Vampires, Demons, Monsters, Fiends, Goblins or Things
  • Dr. Seuss and Mr. Geisel