Flight of the Dragonfly

Flight of the Dragonfly

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  141 ratings  ·  29 reviews
It was a case that made international headlines in 2006: two small girls, Cedar, 3 and Hannah, 5, were abducted by their Lebanesea-Australian father, Joe, and flown into Lebanon in the middle of a war.
Their distraught Canadian mother, Melissa Hawach, was left to figure out where her daughters were, if they were safe and what, if anything, she could do to get them back.
Wh...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Harper Collins Publishers

*•.♥.•*Sabrina Rutter*•.♥.•*
I could not put this book down until I knew the outcome! The heartache this woman must have felt brings tears to my eyes.
Melissa never thought her Lebanese-Australian husband whom she had been seperated with for ten months would kidnap their daughters and flee to Lebanon. He had not been to Lebanon since he was two years old having grown up in Australia. He had even told her once that he would never marry a Lebanese woman. Even when people warned her of possible parental abduction she paid it no...more
Tania Pearce
This book was brilliant. Melissa was amazing in her strength, courage and determination to get her daughters back.
Louise
Story Description:

During the summer of 2006, Melissa Hawach lived through every mother’s nightmare: her daughters, six-year-old Hannah and three-year-old Cedar, were kidnapped by their father and swept away to Lebanon in a desperate attempt to force a custody agreement. In this brave and gripping true-life account, Hawach narrates the extraordinary details of the kidnapping and the remarkable lengths to which she went in order to get her daughters back. From her home-turned-command-post in Calga...more
Michelle

Maybe it's because I'm biased, that I did not like this book. Maybe because its that I've met her and her children. Maybe it's the fact that people I know make an appearance in this book. Maybe it's because she's stretched things to make it look like she was oh so 'woe is me'. Maybe it's a combination of all these things.
However, I will not deny the pain and suffering that this women went through, and the courage (and perhaps nearsighted foolishness) it took to get her girls back. I have a ver...more
Amanda
This book is written by Melissa Hawach (a Canadian) whose estranged Lebanese-Australian husband, Joe, took his daughters, Hannah (aged 5) and Cedar (aged 2) on a holiday to Australia in 2006. From there, he abducted them to Lebanon which was, at that time, at war with Israel. The case made international headlines at the time.
With persistence, and the support of family, friends and agencies, she finally rescued her daughters.
It is an amazing story and easily read - I read most of it while flying...more
Trudy Jaskela
In July 200, estranged husband took his daughters to Australia to visit his family. Instead of returning them back to their Mom in Calgary, he kidnapped them by taking them to Lebanon, his ancestral home. This book documents Melissa's 8 month ordeal in getting her daughters out of Lebanon and back to Calgary.
A well-written story. A story about the trials of a cross-cultural relationship.
Cost about 3/4 million dollars. Needed lawyers in 3 countries.
Message to me - listen to your gut. Despite h...more
Kari
Sep 28, 2008 Kari rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone, especially Mothers
Recommended to Kari by: my sister - Heather Ward
What a harrowing account of how far a mother would go for her children. A captivating story and one that I probably wouldn't have been able to read without knowing first that it had a happy ending. Melissa has lived every parent's greatest fear but is one tough cookie for safely bringing her girls home and then being able to relive it by writing about it.

It was interesting to read about a strong local girl from Saskatchewan/Calgary and especially inspiring to read how my sister's book "I Promis...more
Clarence Paul
Jul 27, 2008 Clarence Paul rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mothers
Recommended to Clarence by: Natalie on Nova 93.7
Book tells a story of a mother's journey to rescue her kidnapped children from their Lebanon.
At times you want to sympathise with Hawach but I can't help but feel a little irritated by her choices and actions. Then again, what would I know? I have no children. But if I did and they were kidnapped, I would probably be doing the same thing.
This book is a good read not for the story that it tells but for the message that it sends about the issues of cultural clashes in relationships.
I give it 3 st...more
Nadine
While this was an interesting true story that originated in Calgary I found the writing style tedious. I felt bad for her loss of her daughters but wondered how she could have really gotten herself in such a relationship and then allowed her husband to take the children on a trip. I was very impressed by the help she received both with those who went with her to help get her daughters back and the legal and financial support she received. I think it was a miracle that she got them home again.
Jun 04, 2008 Jennifer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all parents
A facinating heartfelt story of a mother living through an unfathomable situation. Extentive detail around her own feelings as she struggles with extraordinarily difficult choices bring the reader aboard as a passenger travelling from Calgary (Canada) to Australia, Lebanon and Syria.

Throughout the different phases of the search for her two young girls, the mother maintains an admirable level of respect for both the abducting father and his family.
Alicia
Written by a mother (Canadian) whose children are abducted by their father who claims he is taking them on a vacation to Austrailia. The father is formerly from Lebanon and suceeds in crossing the border into Lebanon with the children during a period of civil unrest in 2006. This story is the mother's journey of her quest to reclaim her children and all the legal, political & religious barriers she faces. Eye-opening.
Valerie
I cannot imagine ever having to go through a situation like this mother did. She wrote an emotional and detailed account of the kidnapping of her daughters by their father. She had a great support system and financial help whereas many people in this same situation would never see their children again.
Lauren
This is a totally gripping tale of a parental child abduction that occurred in my home town. I would have given it 5 stars if it hadn't been for the writing style which was a little choppy. The story was intense and I truly couldn't put the book down.
Mellissa
Knew the basic story already, thanks to Woman's Day, but it was good to read all the nitty-gritty details, plus a bit more background. This woman is much more graceful toward her ex-husband than I would be in the same circumstances - she's amazing.
Madeleine McLaughlin
Riveting book about a parental abduction and what the mother went through to get her daughters back. It makes you wonder how cruel some people can be in the name of love, meaning the father who takes his daughters to an at-war Lebanon.
Rb
I had just read "not without my daughter". So it felt like id read it already. But i would eate it high as this kept you wanting to read to find out how this goes. You find yourself motivating her on in the book.
Naren Davies
This is a great book and what this woman did to get her babies back is amazing. This was a great book lots of women don`t have a happy ending when put in this place. I definatly recomend this book.
Mortalform
Writing style isn't the most effective for the message or the story. A lot of jumping backward and forward in the narrative and even more repetition. Wrenching story though, worth a read.
Nicole
An interesting read though the storyline jumped back & forth a little too much for my liking. As someone else said, it would have benefited from tighter editing.
Vivian
a story of a mother's love brings this mother to find her missing daughters. I however didn't like how she treated her father during the story.
Monique
a very intresting story but not a page turner. I am finding it hard to pick up. Took me a while but I did finish it. Good True story.
Lee
foudn ti to be a bit repeptitive and dis jointed but was glad she got them back. enjoyed the middle east part of the story best
Stacey St,
Great book. A heart breaking story that ends happily. I just can't believe things like this happen but they do!
Beatrice Trumier
It scared me to death - made me feel like I just want to stay here in safe Canada!
Larita Barfuss
Can't believe this happened in Calgary! What amazing strength that mother had!
Melissa Mann
Interesting story and a quick read!
Renee Azzopardi
Absolutely inspirational story.
Tania
Stimulating read... What a journey!
Nov 29, 2008 Laura is currently reading it
A very emotional book to read - I find it hard to put down but also exhausting to read at the same down! Could also be that Melissa refers to her Hannah as Hannie at times - the same that we do...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »