Start by marking “Flight of the Dragonfly” as Want to Read:
Flight of the Dragonfly

Flight of the Dragonfly

It was a case that made international headlines in 2006: two small girls, Cedar, 3, and Hannah, 5, were abducted by their Lebanesea-Australian father, Joe, and flown into Lebanon in the middle of a war.

Their distraught Canadian mother, Melissa Hawach, was left to figure out where her daughters were, if they were safe and what, if anything, she could do to get them back.

Wh
Published April 1st 2008 by Harper Collins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Flight of the Dragonfly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flight of the Dragonfly

Sabrina Rutter
Nov 08, 2009 Sabrina Rutter rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down until I knew the outcome! The heartache this woman must have felt brings tears to my eyes.
Melissa never thought her Lebanese-Australian husband whom she had been seperated with for ten months would kidnap their daughters and flee to Lebanon. He had not been to Lebanon since he was two years old having grown up in Australia. He had even told her once that he would never marry a Lebanese woman. Even when people warned her of possible parental abduction she paid it no
Tania Pearce
May 12, 2008 Tania Pearce rated it it was amazing
This book was brilliant. Melissa was amazing in her strength, courage and determination to get her daughters back.
Adrianna Kowalska
Jan 12, 2017 Adrianna Kowalska rated it it was ok
Z książkami z serii „Pisane przez życie” czy też „Zdarzyło się naprawdę” jest pewien zasadniczy problem, że ciężko się je ocenia. Nie możemy wtedy zarzucić autorowi bądź autorce, że gdzieś dał za mało akcji a gdzieś z kolei popchnął jak pendolino. Po prostu taki scenariusz miało życie i nie da się tego zmienić. Jednak, nawet historia, która toczyła się w ślimaczym tempie może zostać uratowana przez świetny styl. Może być również odwrotnie i tak właśnie było w przypadku książki „Oddajcie mi dziec ...more
Louise
Aug 31, 2011 Louise rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Story Description:

During the summer of 2006, Melissa Hawach lived through every mother’s nightmare: her daughters, six-year-old Hannah and three-year-old Cedar, were kidnapped by their father and swept away to Lebanon in a desperate attempt to force a custody agreement. In this brave and gripping true-life account, Hawach narrates the extraordinary details of the kidnapping and the remarkable lengths to which she went in order to get her daughters back. From her home-turned-command-post in Calga
Michelle
Mar 26, 2010 Michelle rated it did not like it
Shelves: never-agains

Maybe it's because I'm biased, that I did not like this book. Maybe because its that I've met her and her children. Maybe it's the fact that people I know make an appearance in this book. Maybe it's because she's stretched things to make it look like she was oh so 'woe is me'. Maybe it's a combination of all these things.
However, I will not deny the pain and suffering that this women went through, and the courage (and perhaps nearsighted foolishness) it took to get her girls back. I have a ver
Clarence Paul
Jul 27, 2008 Clarence Paul rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Mothers
Recommended to Clarence by: Natalie on Nova 93.7
Book tells a story of a mother's journey to rescue her kidnapped children from their Lebanon.
At times you want to sympathise with Hawach but I can't help but feel a little irritated by her choices and actions. Then again, what would I know? I have no children. But if I did and they were kidnapped, I would probably be doing the same thing.
This book is a good read not for the story that it tells but for the message that it sends about the issues of cultural clashes in relationships.
I give it 3 st
SouthWestZippy
Dec 28, 2015 SouthWestZippy rated it liked it
Stopped reading on page 164 of 283 pages. Sorry what happen to the little girls. The grown ups should have gotten to know each other better first before they got married and had kids. Over the top details turned me off.
I made myself go back and read the rest of the book. I am so happy I did. I did a lot of rethinking and now I can understand why the details were so necessary. Guts instincts and details were missed and that is why the girls were taken by their Father. In order to feel the full im
Amanda
Jul 08, 2010 Amanda rated it it was ok
This book is written by Melissa Hawach (a Canadian) whose estranged Lebanese-Australian husband, Joe, took his daughters, Hannah (aged 5) and Cedar (aged 2) on a holiday to Australia in 2006. From there, he abducted them to Lebanon which was, at that time, at war with Israel. The case made international headlines at the time.
With persistence, and the support of family, friends and agencies, she finally rescued her daughters.
It is an amazing story and easily read - I read most of it while flying
Trudy Jaskela
Jul 29, 2012 Trudy Jaskela rated it liked it
In July 200, estranged husband took his daughters to Australia to visit his family. Instead of returning them back to their Mom in Calgary, he kidnapped them by taking them to Lebanon, his ancestral home. This book documents Melissa's 8 month ordeal in getting her daughters out of Lebanon and back to Calgary.
A well-written story. A story about the trials of a cross-cultural relationship.
Cost about 3/4 million dollars. Needed lawyers in 3 countries.
Message to me - listen to your gut. Despite h
Kari
Sep 28, 2008 Kari rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone, especially Mothers
Recommended to Kari by: my sister - Heather Ward
What a harrowing account of how far a mother would go for her children. A captivating story and one that I probably wouldn't have been able to read without knowing first that it had a happy ending. Melissa has lived every parent's greatest fear but is one tough cookie for safely bringing her girls home and then being able to relive it by writing about it.

It was interesting to read about a strong local girl from Saskatchewan/Calgary and especially inspiring to read how my sister's book "I Promis
Nadine
Sep 28, 2012 Nadine rated it liked it
While this was an interesting true story that originated in Calgary I found the writing style tedious. I felt bad for her loss of her daughters but wondered how she could have really gotten herself in such a relationship and then allowed her husband to take the children on a trip. I was very impressed by the help she received both with those who went with her to help get her daughters back and the legal and financial support she received. I think it was a miracle that she got them home again.
Alicia
Jul 30, 2012 Alicia rated it liked it
Written by a mother (Canadian) whose children are abducted by their father who claims he is taking them on a vacation to Austrailia. The father is formerly from Lebanon and suceeds in crossing the border into Lebanon with the children during a period of civil unrest in 2006. This story is the mother's journey of her quest to reclaim her children and all the legal, political & religious barriers she faces. Eye-opening.
Jun 04, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all parents
A facinating heartfelt story of a mother living through an unfathomable situation. Extentive detail around her own feelings as she struggles with extraordinarily difficult choices bring the reader aboard as a passenger travelling from Calgary (Canada) to Australia, Lebanon and Syria.

Throughout the different phases of the search for her two young girls, the mother maintains an admirable level of respect for both the abducting father and his family.
Audrey
This is an incredible true story of a Canadian mother who goes to great length to get back her daughters. She has to go Australia and finally to Lebanon to retrieve them. It is an a harrowing account and hard to put down. It is an amazing story of a very brave and determined woman and the love for her children.
Valerie
Jul 05, 2009 Valerie rated it really liked it
I cannot imagine ever having to go through a situation like this mother did. She wrote an emotional and detailed account of the kidnapping of her daughters by their father. She had a great support system and financial help whereas many people in this same situation would never see their children again.
Alice
Jan 24, 2015 Alice rated it really liked it
How many children get misplaced this way every year at the cost of their small lives. It was a good book but sad too. That is a great expense for the mother to have to pay to get the children back, but she did, and never gave up!!!
Mellissa
May 25, 2009 Mellissa rated it liked it
Knew the basic story already, thanks to Woman's Day, but it was good to read all the nitty-gritty details, plus a bit more background. This woman is much more graceful toward her ex-husband than I would be in the same circumstances - she's amazing.
Rb
Aug 19, 2012 Rb rated it really liked it
I had just read "not without my daughter". So it felt like id read it already. But i would eate it high as this kept you wanting to read to find out how this goes. You find yourself motivating her on in the book.
Madeleine McLaughlin
Sep 10, 2013 Madeleine McLaughlin rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime
Riveting book about a parental abduction and what the mother went through to get her daughters back. It makes you wonder how cruel some people can be in the name of love, meaning the father who takes his daughters to an at-war Lebanon.
Lauren
Aug 06, 2009 Lauren rated it really liked it
This is a totally gripping tale of a parental child abduction that occurred in my home town. I would have given it 5 stars if it hadn't been for the writing style which was a little choppy. The story was intense and I truly couldn't put the book down.
Alison
Aug 17, 2014 Alison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A well written and the amazing story of a Moms search for her two daughters Hannah, 6 and Cedar, 3 taken by her estranged husband. Definitely worth a read.
Monique
Sep 15, 2010 Monique rated it liked it
a very intresting story but not a page turner. I am finding it hard to pick up. Took me a while but I did finish it. Good True story.
Laurie Toews
Jul 23, 2015 Laurie Toews rated it did not like it
Excellent read!! Same vein as Not Without My Daughter but with Saskatchewan/Alberta ties. Well written and easy to read!!
Lee
Sep 27, 2008 Lee rated it it was ok
foudn ti to be a bit repeptitive and dis jointed but was glad she got them back. enjoyed the middle east part of the story best
Stacey St,
Great book. A heart breaking story that ends happily. I just can't believe things like this happen but they do!
Vivian
Jul 18, 2012 Vivian rated it really liked it
a story of a mother's love brings this mother to find her missing daughters. I however didn't like how she treated her father during the story.
Mortalform
Dec 26, 2010 Mortalform rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Writing style isn't the most effective for the message or the story. A lot of jumping backward and forward in the narrative and even more repetition. Wrenching story though, worth a read.
Naren Davies
Feb 12, 2013 Naren Davies rated it it was amazing
This is a great book and what this woman did to get her babies back is amazing. This was a great book lots of women don`t have a happy ending when put in this place. I definatly recomend this book. ...more
Nov 29, 2008 Laura is currently reading it
A very emotional book to read - I find it hard to put down but also exhausting to read at the same down! Could also be that Melissa refers to her Hannah as Hannie at times - the same that we do...
Nicole
Jul 25, 2012 Nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club-read
An interesting read though the storyline jumped back & forth a little too much for my liking. As someone else said, it would have benefited from tighter editing.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Breeding in Captivity: One Woman's Unusual Path to Motherhood
  • Found
  • Reasons Mommy Drinks
  • The Survival of the Soul
  • Heaven's Harlots: My Fifteen Years as a Sacred Prostitute in the Children of God Cult
  • China Ghosts: My Daughter's Journey to America, My Passage to Fatherhood
  • I Fired God: My Life Inside---and Escape from---the Secret World of the Independent Fundamental Baptist Cult
  • Transitions of the Heart: Stories of Love, Struggle and Acceptance by Mothers of Transgender and Gender Variant Children
  • Do Dead People Walk Their Dogs?: Questions You'd Ask a Medium If You Had the Chance
  • Hats & Eyeglasses: A Family Love Affair with Gambling