The Ghost of Windy Hill

The Ghost of Windy Hill

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  208 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Some people think the house on Windy Hill is haunted. Lorna and Jamie aren't so sure they believe in ghosts. So how can they explain the mysterious sounds of knocking, running steps, and tinkling bells?

LCCN: 68-11059
Published 1968 by Thomas Y. Crowell

To ask other readers questions about The Ghost of Windy Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ghost of Windy Hill

Graziano
"Shut your eyes, Jamie. Now think of Windy Hill and tell me what you see."
"I see a big house on a high hill," he said, "where the wind comes in from the sea."
"And it's night and there are trees all around," she said. "There's tall grass in the yard. An old man is creeping through the grass - " (8-9)

"Windy Hill is not haunted. We can be sure of that already," said professor Carver. "If something mysterious happens here, it still won't mean there's a ghost in the house.A strange sound might be the...more
C.
Published ahead of my time, "The Ghost Of Windy Hill" has remained among my possessions since I was about 7. Having transitioned to "Nancy Drew", Laura Ingalls Wilder, and V.C Andrews a few years thereafter; I’m puzzled by 20 year-olds sticking to 'young adult' material! I must have been enchanted with the paranormal so long ago, memories of how this story went faded and I’ve enjoyed experiencing it again. The late Clyde Robert Bulla divulged information succinctly. He used no literary whimsy to...more
Miriam
Professor Carver once lived in a supposedly haunted house as a favor to the owner, a friend, to show that there was nothing to be frightened of. Now a stranger asks him to do it again. Initially reluctant, the Professor agrees and takes his wife and two children on a vacation from Boston to the countryside. The story focuses on Lorna and Jamie as they enjoy having their own rooms, explore the woods, meet some odd neighbors, and bake. Gentle and not at all frightening, this is an easy, comforting...more
Oh My Bookness
Book Review:
By:Brittany Perez
Oh My Bookness
Date: May 10,2014

The "Ghost Of Windy Hill", by Clyde Robert Bulla, illustrated by Don Bolognese is a presentation of the Weekly Reader Books. Weekly Reader Books offers book clubs for children, from pre-school to young adult. The Weekly Readers Children Book Club started in 1928 but most may remember it from the 50's, if they had a child themselves or were in grade school.

The Weekly Children's Book Club seized to exist as an independent publication in...more
Jamie
My mother got this for me as a child and this started my love of mysteries and suspense. Years and years later, she found it in a box and sent it me. I gingerly pulled it from the package and read it sitting on my floor right there and then. It's just wonderful! Thanks, Mom!
Melissa Davis
honestly, this book may be horrible, but it was my 1st chapter book that I read in one day. I was in 3rd or 4th grade maybe and I loved it then, so it deserves an honorable mention.
Randi
I read this as a child and found myself getting it from the library often. This is what got me hooked on the kind of books I mainly read now.
Jamie and Lorna’s father, Professor Carver, has quite the reputation it seems. Here, this man, Mr. Giddings, whom none of them has ever seen before, is begging him to come and see whether Mr. Giddings house is haunted by a ghost! Professor Carver repudiates the notion of ghosts but reluctantly agrees to live at Windy Hill for the summer since it means so much to Mr. Giddings.

Lorna and Jamie are excited to go along and enchanted with Windy Hill. They are certain that there is no ghost – and they...more
Lisa
This was my very first Ghost story I ever read and it was the instigator to my love for all things paranormal.
Damara
Nice, simple kids book with a good story. I have been trying to find a book from when I was a kid, about which I remember almost nothing (a big old stone house, wind, a candle, a mystery, I think by the ocean) so I've started a couple books thinking they could be that book. They weren't. This one wasn't either, but I finished it anyway. In contrast to another one I had just tried reading, I really appreciated how this was written simply, but well. It respects kids through the characters it portr...more
Michelle
One of my favorite books in elementary school.
Cynthia Egbert
This was my first chapter book as a wee child. I was frustrated by it then and that has not changed. Seviah wanted me to read a book aloud to her (love that my kids still like me to read to them). So, I chose this one so that we had something with a bit more meat than just a picture book. The ending is not what I wanted as a kid and Seviah was also frustrated by it. But then, I am a sucker for a good ghost story and this is not a good ghost story. That being said, it is still a very sweet story...more
Liz
This is a semi-spooky children's book about 2 kids and their parents who stay in a supposedly haunted house to prove that there are no ghosts in it. During the month that they stay, the children make a friend and several discoveries. I enjoyed the simplicity, suspense, and fast pace of this book. After reading it, I discovered that Clyde Robert Bulla wrote "Ghost Town Treasure", another children's book that I enjoyed.
Josiah
The sweet touch of Clyde Robert Bulla's writing graces the pages of this book as poigantly as in all of his short, heartwarming stories, and I feel privileged to read them. I'm always tempted to give his books more stars than I probably should, because I love them so much, but I think that this is a fair rating. Perhaps two and a half stars? I really like this book, and would recommend it to anyone that asked.
Michele
I found this in a box of books I had saved. My daughter thought it looked interesting so she read it and was asking me about it. I couldn't remember what it was about so I read it again. so nice to read a book that isn't about robots, vampires or cheerleaders and geared for the 9-11 age. She is enjoying it immensely.
Lynda
Another book that was read to us in school. I never remembered the title, but always remembered the story and tracked down a copy years later on E-bay through pure luck. The spooky tale of a family who moves into a haunted house and is forced to solve a mystery. I loved it!
Len Lira
This was the very first chapter book I read. Iust have been 9 or 10. At the time. It was a scary read. Taught me to not assume the worse from first look. Lead to my penchant for Steven King novels as a teenager.
Marcia
Just read this with my 3rd grade book club. It feels a little dated, and wasn't as scary as they had hoped. The idea of a child being mistreated was so foreign to them they couldn't really grasp it.
Ryara Toft
May 01, 2008 Ryara Toft rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sitara (especially, she would like it), and everybody else
Recommended to Ryara by: The lady @ literacy nite!
I read it in 1 hour, it was more like a 3rd grade chapter book! But the story was cute and I loved Miss Miggie! So you people out there need to read it!
Suzi
Cute book. Great imagery. A good choice for an intermediate reader because it's not too hard to understand but still keeps them guessing.
Patty
I remember my second grade teacher reading this book to us at the end of the day.....I loved it then and still think its good....
Kristen Marincic
It was a good story until the end. The ending just wasn't really developed and came off weak. But it is a kid's book...
Ayashe
So boring...I would have given this book 1 star even if I were about 9 years old. The story was horribly lame.
Lisa
Fun (and just a little bit spooky) October read. We were all a little disappointed with the anti-climactic ending.
Kinzie
I loved this book. I read it at least ten times in Elementary School. My absolute favorite!
Kellie
This was the absolute perfect read aloud kid ghost story - super fun for October and Fall!!
Leela4
Historical mystery. Written toward young children, but perfectly enjoyable for adults.
Shana
Reread this as it was a childhood favorite. Shared it with my daughter.
Sangeetha
I read it almost 3 years ago! Loved it!!!!! It was AWESOME!!!!
Niki Lombard richardson
This was one of my favorite books as a kid. I read it over and over.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Encyclopedia Brown Sets The Pace (Encyclopedia Brown, #15)
  • Beware!: R.L. Stine Picks His Favorite Scary Stories
  • The Revenge of the Wizard's Ghost
  • The Mystery of the Monster Movie (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #8)
  • Aloha, Baby-sitters! (The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special, #13)
  • The Borrowers Aloft: With the Short Tale Poor Stainless
  • The Littles And The Lost Children
  • The Pink Motel
  • Sweet Miss Honeywell's Revenge: A Ghost Story
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle Treasury (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #1-2, #4)
  • Ghosts I Have Been (Blossom Culp, #2)
  • Otis Spofford (Ellen & Otis, #2)
  • The Ghost Next Door
  • Wolf at the Window (Animal Ark Hauntings #7)
  • Dogs Don't Do Ballet
  • If You Lived In Colonial Times
  • How Do Dinosaurs Love Their Dogs?
  • Badger in the Basement (Animal Ark #6)
Born to be a Writer
Almost as far back as he can remember, Clyde Robert Bulla wanted to write. Born on a farm in a small town in Missouri, Mr. Bulla's first school was a one-room country schoolhouse. One day his teacher asked each first grade student what he or she would do with a thousand dollars. Young Clyde answered that he would buy a table. His classmates laughed heartily, and his teacher was...more
More about Clyde Robert Bulla...
Squanto, Friend Of The Pilgrims The Sword in the Tree A Lion to Guard Us Pocahontas And The Strangers The Chalk Box Kid (Stepping Stone Books)