The Greatest Generation Speaks: Letters and Reflections

The Greatest Generation Speaks: Letters and Reflections

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  864 ratings  ·  58 reviews
The heartwarming New York Times bestseller by the author of The Greatest Generation

"When I wrote about the men and women who came out of the Depression, who won great victories and made lasting sacrifices in World War II and then returned home to begin building the world we have today ... it was my way of saying thank you. I was not prepared for the avalanche of letters an...more
Published October 11th 2005 by Random House Trade Paperbacks (first published 1998)

Chris Ross
I listened to the audio book and it had me in tears. I believe my grandfather's generation was truly the greatest generation of the past 3-5 generations. I wish that the current Generation Y were more concerned about what is going on around the world with Islam's war on the rest of the world and had concern about this rather than the latest cell phone or video game. This WWII generation sacrificed a lot and I am grateful for it.
Jaclynn
Excellent read, filled with letters from those who lived and fought during the Depression and WW2 time. Divided into sections for easier reading.
I appreciated the author taking the time to compose all of this into a book so we could experience (in a way) the lives of our grandparents, to know the sacrifices they made, maybe things they didn't or couldn't talk about to us in person.
Samantha
"This book is in response to Tom Brokaw's first book- The Greatest Generation.
It's basically a compliation of letters, stories, and reflections of lives forever changed by war.
Eighty year old Clarence M. Graham, recounts his harrowing experience as a soldier captured by the Japanese -- and provides a gripping eyewitness account of the dropping of the atomic bomb;
Patricia Matthews Dorph, a soldier's daughter, shares the love letters her parents exchanged during the war, a lasting legacy of pas...more
Chris
I appreciate the fact that Mr. Brokaw has been an inspiration to so many from this generation to write their experiences down. As I was discussing with my wife, the fact that so many who experienced the terrible things of this war, have never spoken of it to anyone, we both felt that this book, and the subsequent letters sent in, have become a fairly significant catalyst for many. Some how it has given many permission to express what has been kept inside for so long. Many of this generation are...more
AngieA
I have a real passion for the years of WWII and found this compilation of letters and memories by Tom Brokaw to be so informative and entertaining. A companion piece to "The Greatest Generation", it is a sequel that expands the views of Brokaw to include people who would not have been thought of otherwise. The reactions by these contributors is important and memorable; real history as seen by real people in their own words. All history should be written this way. It really brought home the wisdo...more
Kelly
This is one of my all time favorite books. It is in letter form so it is really easy to read and you skip around you don't have to read it start to finish and you can re read it many many times. I read this book first but Tom Brokaw wrote The Greatest Generation first then he got so many letters responding to his book and telling stories that they recalled from the war that he wrote the Greatest Generation Speaks. Both of my grandparents are from this time both of my grandfathers served in WWII....more
Emily
Perhaps not the best one to listen to while driving. Some of the letters are sad and graphic (about POWs and concentration camps, etc.) but others are quite sweet. At times, I did find it difficult to determine when the author was speaking for himself and when he was reading a letter. I haven't read or listened to The Greatest Generation (the precurser to this) but it wasn't strictly necessary to do so.

I don't know what was cut out in this abridged version but it was a bit abrupt and rough in pl...more
Drew
I read this book first. Powerful stories and letters about my parents generation. They surely sacrificed much for us.
Dennis Lid
Jun 02, 2008 Dennis Lid rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all readers of history and, especially, the younger generation - "lest we forget."
Recommended to Dennis by: No one.
The book reveals a host of interesting events and adventures of lives lived, sacrifices made, sorrows and joys borne and testaments claimed by the greatest generation. This generation was best exemplified by its challenge, discipline and sacrifice. Its legacy lives on. The book is an interesting and compelling read by one of the best and last
great journalists and anchor persons of our time.

by Dennis Lid
Emily
An amazing book! Hearing other people's stories made me wish I had asked my grandparents more about their lives during the war. I know multiple stories from one of my grandpa's but there's so much more I would like to know.
Patrick
I really enjoyed this book. it took me a longer time to read it because I only read it during my free time at the school wear I tutor twice a weak. I did not read THE GREATEST GENERATION. But i i found this to be a very informative and interesting book because of the personal stories of the greatest generation. I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in those who served in WW II.
Martha
I love the way the book is so readable and easy to put down and pick up without losing thought. Brokow has a great way of meshing the stories of what took place during WW II together, of weaving them together and of truly "Bringing to life the hopes and dreams of a generation who fought our most hard-won victories, and whose struggles and sacrifices made our future possible."
Glenn Rome
This book reaffirmed my beliefs in the American spirit. I had an appreciation of what went on during WWII from my family members. I read their letters to each other. Tom Brokaw shared letters from famous to not so famous people. I felt their loneliness, isolation and patriotism. For those seeking to know what it means to be an American read Mr. Brokaw's book.
Willis
This is a follow up to Brokaw's earlier book on the Greatest Generation. Essentially this book contains all the fan mail that Brokaw received after publishing the earlier book. It is essentially a colleciton of letters that people wrote him. Some of it is interesting but I had a much harder time getting through this one.
Harriett Milnes
I was interested to read this because my friend's story is in the book. I hadn't read the original, The Greatest Generation, but I caught on soon enough to the theme. Unfortunately, my dad has passed on and I only heard a few of his stories. He was in a German P.O.W. camp, having entered France after D-Day.
Frank
Actually I would give this book a 6 or 7 rating because of the personal experiences related. If you want to know how blessed we are, and how much some sacrificed-here it is. Now I have to go get "The Greatest Generation", the first book which I am sure is as good and probably better.
Susan
It reminded me of the importance of this period in my Dad's life. He never met anyone without his war stories creeping into the conversation. Reading the letters and remembrances brought him back to me through their shared and at the same time disparate experiences.
I enjoyed this book more than "The Greatest Generation". The stories of WWII were more genuine. They were spontaneously written to author, rather than the author seeking them out. This made everything much more personable and therefore more enjoyable for me.
Dad
Nov 22, 2007 Dad rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beth
After the Greatest Generation was published, many people responded to Tom Brokaw about the people that he wrote about in that first book. It is the responces and his comments that brought this time period and the people who lived it to life. A must read.
Shelley
I like this better than The Greatest Generation because these are first-hand accounts of their struggles. I also like that he compiled letters from children, women, soldiers, and everyday citizens of that time period.
Al Fernandez
Sad & uplifting reading personal letters from soldiers who often times were facing death wondering if they were ever going to see their families again. They were all truly a selfless generation!
Lennie
I enjoyed reading the letters Tom Brokaw published in his book that came in response to The Greatest Generation. The letters reflected personal accounts and some were truly touching!
Jodie
I absolutely loved The Greatest Generation, so when this one came out, I could not resist. I really enjoyed reading the first hand accounts and letters of those included.
Marti
Since I reread the greastest generation, I thought I would go on to read the second book. It was fabulous. It makes you feel so gateful and puts everything in proper perspective.
Krista
If you have parents or grandparents that grew up during this era, buy this book and give it to them as a gift. Also thank them for what you have today because of them!
Colleen Martin
More war stories, each of them enlightening and touching. Again, I was pissed off that I can't get the unabridged audiobook, but it's still worth listening to.
White Rabbit
"In a time of conspicuous self-indulgence, it is comforting to be absorbed in the lives of others who are selfless and grateful for whatever they have."
-Tom Brokaw
Stephen
Audiobook, a wonderful, often heartbreaking look into the lives of those that grew up during the Great Depression and survived the horrors of World War II.
  • To America: Personal Reflections of an Historian
  • My War
  • The Few: The American "Knights of the Air" Who Risked Everything to Fight in the Battle of Britain
  • Seizing the enigma: The race to break the German U-boat codes, 1939-1943
  • Auschwitz: A History
  • Up Front
  • The Choice: How Bill Clinton Won
  • A Patriot's Handbook: Songs, Poems, Stories, and Speeches Celebrating the Land We Love
  • At Dawn We Slept: The Untold Story of Pearl Harbor
  • Duty:  A Father, His Son, and the Man Who Won the War
  • House of War: The Pentagon and the Disastrous Rise of American Power
  • Brave Men
  • The Conquerors: Roosevelt, Truman & the Destruction of Hitler's Germany 1941-45
  • And No Birds Sang
  • The Nightmare Years 1930-40
  • Living Faith
  • After Long Silence
  • Real Simple: Meals Made Easy
Thomas John Brokaw is an American television journalist and author, previously working on regularly scheduled news documentaries for the NBC television network, and is the former NBC News anchorman and managing editor of the program NBC Nightly News with Tom Brokaw. His last broadcast as anchorman was on December 1, 2004, succeeded by Brian Williams in a carefully planned transition. In the later...more
More about Tom Brokaw...
The Greatest Generation Boom! Voices of the Sixties Personal Reflections on the '60s and Today The Time of Our Lives: A conversation about America; Who we are, where we've been, and where we need to go now, to recapture the American dream A Long Way from Home An Album of Memories: Personal Histories from the Greatest Generation