Start by marking “Prophet of the Sandlots: Journeys with a Major League Scout” as Want to Read:
Prophet of the Sandlots: Journeys with a Major League Scout

Prophet of the Sandlots: Journeys with a Major League Scout

Prophet of the Sandlots reveals a world of farm teams and back roads, where hopes of athletic glory rise as dependably as the corn, and honors a baseball sage who is the best possible guide to the game at America's heart--Tony Lucadello.
Published March 15th 1991 by Prentice Hall (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Prophet of the Sandlots, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prophet of the Sandlots

Andy
Oct 25, 2009 Andy rated it really liked it
This is a profoundly difficult book to read. But very gratifying in a weird, troubling way.

A work of non-fiction from about 1990, it's only about baseball - or the American Midwest - on the surface. Once you pick it up, you'll see that it's about an aging man's almost desperate attempt to keep in contact with a world he knows and loves, but a world that is disappearing before his eyes, and leaving him behind.

There are obviously many, many aspects of baseball scout Tony Lucadello's life and pers
Jon
Feb 22, 2017 Jon rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book was a stunning testament to baseball and how it works behind the scenes. Moreover Winegardner provides a portrait of a middle-america man who is completely dedicated to his craft. It's incredibly well done and interesting and brace yourself for the ending. Up there as one of the best books I've ever had the pleasure of reading.
Joe
Jul 12, 2014 Joe rated it liked it
3.5 stars. This book is wonderful and also heartbreaking, for much the same reasons. Winegardner details a year in the life of Phillies' scout Tony Lucadello. Lucadello is in his mid-seventies and has been scouting for little money (his highest salary was $27,000) for decades.

This is the true story of a man who does a job well because he loves baseball but also because that is how he believe a job should be done - the right way. But his way is anachronistic. The book ends in 1989, but Lucadello'
Junior
Jul 27, 2012 Junior added it
I wish I had read this book back when I was a baseball fan (the strike of '94 really did me in and I haven't watched a full game in years). Still, the insights offered into the otherwise obscure world of scouting athletes of any type are worthwhile, and the book is well-written. The book concentrates on Tony Lucadello's travels in the year leading up to the 1988 draft; as a result, the reader is able to examine the "prospects" discussed with the benefit of hindsight - the athletic careers of all ...more
Katia
Apr 19, 2016 Katia rated it it was amazing
I originally read this book because a boyfriend's father owned it and we'd figured out that Tony Lucadello signed my father the same year he signed Mike Schmidt. I went in with no expectations and enjoyed the book a lot. The world of scouting was fleshed out, and the baseball I remember loving as a kid came back to me as I read. This is a sweet, sad book that I'd recommend to any baseball fan.
Andrew Schriber
May 31, 2015 Andrew Schriber rated it really liked it
Second time reading the book. Knowing the outcome did not deter from the enjoyment of following the life of a real life baseball character as he performs one of the unsung jobs of major league baseball.
Mike Burrill
Jan 08, 2015 Mike Burrill rated it really liked it
Shelves: baseball
A really good book, with at tragic ending. It's a great read for any baseball fan, coach, or players. I found it both entertaining and informative.
Eric Chesterton
Eric Chesterton rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2017
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2008
Marc Robinson
Marc Robinson rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2014
Tom Olsinski
Tom Olsinski rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2015
Josh
Josh rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2010
Alae
Alae rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2014
Ron Antonucci
Ron Antonucci rated it it was ok
Nov 10, 2016
Russ Murray
Russ Murray rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2009
Brian Schnack
Brian Schnack rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2013
William Lowe
William Lowe rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2012
Robert Geis
Robert Geis rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2014
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Ted Posselius
Ted Posselius rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2011
Riff
Riff rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2012
Stacey Schmitt
Stacey Schmitt rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2014
Brett Weed
Brett Weed rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2008
James Cook
James Cook rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2012
John
John rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2013
Michael
Mar 17, 2009 Michael rated it it was amazing
One of the best baseball books to be published. Tony Lucadello: if only they listened to you!
Jon
Jon rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2013
Ron Kaplan
Ron Kaplan rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2010
Steve Lozon
Steve Lozon rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2013
Olivia
Olivia rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Mark Winegardner (born November 24, 1961) is an American writer born and raised in Bryan, Ohio. His novels include The Godfather Returns, Crooked River Burning, and The Veracruz Blues. He published a collection of short stories, That's True of Everybody, in 2002. His newest novel, The Godfather's Revenge, was published in November 2006 by Putnam. His Godfather novels continue the story of the Corl ...more
More about Mark Winegardner...