Start by marking “The Haunted Bridge (Nancy Drew, #15)” as Want to Read:
The Haunted Bridge (Nancy Drew, #15)

The Haunted Bridge (Nancy Drew #15)

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  6,839 Ratings  ·  151 Reviews
Nancy Drew is visiting Deer Mountain Lodge to help her father with a case involving jewel thieves and while there, comes across another mystery involving a haunted bridge! How Nancy solves both mysteries and competes in a golf tournament despite her injurred arm is exciting and fun reading. l
Published 1972 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published 1937)

Kristen
Jan 08, 2016 Kristen rated it really liked it
Andrew bought me a 1937 edition for my Christmas present this year. Hands down my favorite present this holiday. I thoroughly enjoyed the thick paper/pages, "old time" typeface and dated verbiage. It was like seeing an old dear friend after many years apart. Brings back wonderful memories for me.
Kate ★
Mar 08, 2015 Kate ★ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beat-the-heat
Compared to the last Nancy Drew novel I've read, this one was so much better, probably due to the fact that this is a later piece.

Mystery-wise, it is the usual Nancy-Drew-is-so-lucky scheme to be at the right place, and in the right time, to have met people that would help her solve the case, even her finding that small brass chest that would help determining the suspects.

I did like the plot-twist where a character was highly suspicious but turned out to be uninvolved. And, can I just say I love
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 John Yelverton rated it it was amazing
Spooky of story of Nancy Drew trying to solve the mystery of a haunted bridge, and then gets involved with jewel thieves.
Mara
Aug 17, 2012 Mara rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Young girls
Recommended to Mara by: Nette Quindoza
Nancy Drew is the first series I developed an addiction to. Through Nancy Drew, I realized that determination, intelligence, loyalty and most of all, curiosity can make great things. Nancy Drew changed my childhood in ways I cannot even describe or fathom. It has been life when I was a child. This book opened me to the world of books and from then on, I never want to leave it. The joy I feel whenever I pick a book and read, I owe it all to Nancy Drew.
Phyllis
Mar 23, 2012 Phyllis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nancy-drew
This is one of those Nancy Drew mystery stories that starts out really strong, with amazing creepy moments and nightmarish imagery, and then suddenly it jumps the rails and turns into this completely bogus, boring country club mystery. There is way too much golf in this book for my tastes.

I read the original 30s version and it is notable in that 30s Nancy Drew actually has a personality, and gets irritated at Bess when she starts whimpering about the haunted bridge. I grew up reading the conden
Megan Lengel
Aug 18, 2009 Megan Lengel rated it liked it
Mr. Drew is on the trail of an international ring of jewel thieves and asks Nancy to assist him. The trail leads to a summer resort area. Before Nancy has a chance to start work on her father's case, a golf caddy tells her a frightning tale. In the dense woods nearby is an old wooden footbridge guarded by a ghost! Intrigued by the caddy's story, Nancy decides to invesigate.
Barbara
Jun 20, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it
"Gee Nancy, that's swell!" It was on my shelf so I decided to see if Nancy Drew still held the same allure as an adult as she did when I was a kid. She did! A fun and easy read, but what was interesting was the level of vocabulary compared to children's books today; the vocabulary was much more advanced and educated. Sad. Ned is still a dufus though.
Yrsa
Jag och mor diskuterade någon gång huruvida Kitty går i skolan eller inte och jag kom inte på att jag hade läst någonting om det. Ned gör det, det nämns ganska regelbundet. I den här boken pratade George med sin mor över telefonen och då sa modern att George skulle vila upp sig så att hon skulle vara pigg till att skolan startar. Nu är ju bara frågan hur det är med Kitty...
Jessi
Aug 13, 2009 Jessi rated it it was amazing
Is there anything that Nancy can't do? Even after spraining her hand, she manages to bring down a ring of jewel thieves, reunite star-crossed lovers and even win a golf tournament. Can I be her when I grow up?
Becca
Mar 23, 2015 Becca added it
sometimes u just gotta read some nancy drew.
Katie
Apr 26, 2015 Katie rated it liked it
Classic Nancy!
Amanda
Mar 07, 2017 Amanda rated it it was ok
This isn't the best Nancy Drew book but its an ok read. It focuses on golf a lot. It made me realize i never really noticed how "perfect" at everything they make her.
Michaela
Feb 28, 2017 Michaela rated it it was amazing
Great book . All of Nancy Drew mysterys are good in my opinion
Ashley
Sep 15, 2016 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hannah H.
Jan 04, 2017 Hannah H. rated it liked it
It was a nice trip down memory lane. While the plot lines and character are much less dynamic than they once seemed, the story was still as endearing as I remembered.
Radhika
Jan 03, 2017 Radhika rated it really liked it
I loved reading Nancy Drew mysteries as a kid, they were so much fun!
Enjoyed reading this mystery after so many years.
01kylies
May 13, 2012 01kylies rated it really liked it
Nancy Drew does it again. I love the Nancy Drew books; to me they bring back memories of childhood and tradition. I could hardly put this book down! I just had to know what Nancy was doing, and what she would do next!
When I was reading this book, I read a lot of it in bed before I went to sleep. I would plan on only reading a little bit, but then I'd start and want to read one more chapter, and then one more, just one more, and before I knew it, it was nearly midnight!
I really liked this part
Christine Arvinth
Feb 20, 2017 Christine Arvinth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nancy-drew
The haunted bridge mystery sure had lots of twist's and turns . But the book was really good.
Kashvi
Feb 19, 2017 Kashvi rated it liked it
Though, the book is slow in the beginning, it intrigues the reader. it's a nice one but not as brilliant as the other books in the series.
Kerry
Feb 19, 2017 Kerry rated it liked it
who knew nancy is good at golf? i think nancy drew is the original leslie knope.
thewestchestarian
Jan 30, 2015 thewestchestarian rated it really liked it
Nancy plays tournament golf...oh!, and there's a mystery as well. Departing from the standard series formula, Nancy's adventures on the links play a near equal narrative driver with the underlying mystery of a supposed haunted, golf-ball stealing bridge. A search of The Rules of Golf reveals no special relief for haunted obstructions so Nancy and the gang have to shoot around this one on the 16th hole. She does and apparently at a championship level despite being 18 years old and none of the boo ...more
Phe
Nov 13, 2013 Phe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Haunted Bridge is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 15th book in the Nancy Drew series.

Nancy and her friends join Mr. Drew on his search for an international ring of jewel thieves. While staying at a summer resort, Nancy manages to solve the mystery and win a golf tournament.

I’ve always been a voracious reader. So, as a child, one of my favorite things about summer was the frequent trips to our local library, which was less than a mile from our house. Like most yo
Kristi Richardson
I have the whole set of the older books 1 through 56 and I have decided to read them again. This book is number 15 in the series and the 1939 version.

Nancy Drew and her friends are at a resort helping her father locate a jewelry box and identify the thieves that stole the jewels. While at the resort Nancy enters a golf tournament and encounters a haunted bridge when her ball goes off course.

There are lots of interesting people in this book. Mortimer Bartescue is a very unusual character. He ne
Lauren
Feb 17, 2014 Lauren rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Oh, Nancy Drew-you persevere time and again, and this time while winning a golf tournament.

In this installment of the franchise, Nancy is helping her father Carson apprehend a ring of international jewel thieves. To do so, they take a vacation at a golf resort with Bess and George, with Nancy splitting her time between sleuthing and golfing.

By comparison, this story is about par for the course (pun intended) with other Drew mysteries-both nothing exceptional, but the plot holds together enough
Tabi34
Jul 11, 2012 Tabi34 rated it it was amazing
This Nancy Drew book was just a fun read. As I've said about every other Nancy Drew books - yes they are dated with no internet, no cell phones and apparently women didn't have to work, but this one was more realistic. They were on vacation at a resort area.

Nancy is there to help her father on a case and enjoy the resort with her best friends Bess and George. Nancy is a champion golfer - who knew? and encounters a creepy man who plays head games, faces an injury that almost sidelines her from t
Alex
I read the 1937 version, and once again I like this relatable Nancy so much more. She IS magically an amazing golfer now though, even with an injured hand. (view spoiler)

I found it odd that there was a Miss Allison in this book, since that was also the name in The Mystery of the Ivory Charm. Come on, that was only two b
Tom
Jan 29, 2014 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I found reading a book from the original thirties run of the Nancy Drew stories to be somewhat different. This one was better written, had a better flow to it as I find the yellow covers (re-writes) to be choppy. Nancy also had more of a personality to her, more of a jokester. And the book itself seemed to be geared towards older readers using words like cognizant and bombarding.

The mystery itself was pretty good as it concerned first a "haunted" bridge and then a gro
American
Jan 02, 2016 American rated it it was amazing
Nancy Drew is my all time favorite detective book character, and one of my all time favorite book characters of all time. Nancy Drew is a classic in my family. My family and I read them together so often. I often watch the black and white movies, and watch the 1970s TV show, but reading the original books by Carolyn Keene is fun for all the family. When my mom reads aloud, she sometimes adds some funny sentences, not silly non-sense sentences, but she adds something that seems like something th ...more
Meadow Frisbie
Feb 27, 2008 Meadow Frisbie rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Taken from the book:
Mr. Drew is on the trail of an international ring of jewel thieves and asks Nancy to assist him: The trail leads to a summer resort area. Before Nancy has a chance to start work on her father’s case, a golf caddy tells her frightening tale. In the dense woods nearby is an old wooden foot bridge guarded by a ghost! Intrigued by the caddy’s story, Nancy decided to investigate.
Several riddles confront the young detective as she attempts to solve the mystery of the haunted brid
Laura Ellison
Dec 23, 2015 Laura Ellison rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, niece-book-club
  • The Gatehouse Mystery (Trixie Belden #3)
  • The Secret Panel (Hardy Boys, #25)
  • Trixie Belden and the Mystery Off Old Telegraph Road (Trixie Belden, #20)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene...

Nancy Drew (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew, #10)

“I still think Barty must be a crook,” 0 likes