Start by marking “The Mystery of the Brass-Bound Trunk (Nancy Drew, #17)” as Want to Read:
The Mystery of the Brass-Bound Trunk (Nancy Drew, #17)

The Mystery of the Brass-Bound Trunk (Nancy Drew #17)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  3,682 ratings  ·  82 reviews
A trunk that Nancy receives from her father for a trip to Buenos Aires becomes the center of a mystery.
Published December 1st 2001 by Applewood Books (first published 1940)

The Secret of the Old Clock by Carolyn KeeneThe Hidden Staircase by Carolyn KeeneThe Secret of Shadow Ranch by Carolyn KeeneThe Bungalow Mystery by Carolyn KeeneThe Sign of the Twisted Candles by Carolyn Keene
Nancy Drew Mystery Stories
53rd out of 79 books — 78 voters
Nancy Drew Mystery Stories  by Carolyn KeeneMystery of the Tolling Bell by Carolyn KeeneThe Secret of the Wooden Lady by Carolyn KeeneThe Thirteenth Pearl by Carolyn KeeneThe Hidden Staircase by Carolyn Keene
Nancy Drew Original Series in Order
20th out of 64 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Not only is my edition old enough that pieces of the pages were crumbling off while I was reading, but it is apparently the original plot instead of a re-vamped one.
Delightful, fun re-read. Definitely hit the spot.
In case you are wondering, this book is about two minutes shorter to read that the time it takes to play a Little League baseball game :)
John Yelverton
One of the more dated Nancy Drew books, but cruise ships and mysteries do tend to go hand in hand.
so, I think that I have the original 1940's version by Grosset and Dunlap and the story line is similar to the plot that is outlined here on Goodreads but...there is no South African roommate and they are going to South America not South Africa. They meet a friend on board named Nestrelda Darlington whose trunk is also labeled with the initials N.D. hence the mixup with the trunks. Nestrelda's mother is the one who is implicated with stealing the jewelry not some roommate. Very curious about the ...more
Raven Reviewer
May 11, 2014 Raven Reviewer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Another mystery finds Nancy, Bess and George when they embark on an ocean voyage on the Winschoten and a brass-bound trunk is delivered to their room.

This might be an older writing style written for younger readers but it sure is an entertaining, fast read. The most remarkable characteristic of this plot-driven, action-packed mystery adventure is readers are on a need-to-now basis. If readers do not need to know something, it is not in the book. There are many characters but we are not told thei
Oct 12, 2007 Heather rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids
I wanted to read one of the Nancy Drew series again because I loved them as a kid and there's a new Nancy Drew movie coming out.

I really don't understand what I liked to much about these books when I was younger. The mystery wasn't that tough to figure out, nothing too complicated. I was really surprised at how much I didn't like it.
My first classic Nancy Drew book since I was little, and I am presented with a random meteor that almost kills everyone on a cruise ship! This also has absolutely nothing to do with the story! Also, every chapter has to end with an exclamation!!!

Ah, Nancy Drew. I still love you.
Tamara Vallejos
The version I read is the revised one, about Nancy and friends on cruise liner from Holland to NYC. Which is what made it so interesting because this is the first time in 17 books that Nancy has been in a life threatening situation in which she legitimately could have died a horrible death. It lasted just for a couple pages but you can certainly feel the stakes ramping up as the series goes on. Plus, this is the first book that mentions the girls getting kisses from the trio of boys (when they a ...more
Mystery of the Brass-Bound Trunk is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 17th book in the Nancy Drew series.

While on a ship bound for New York, Nancy and her friends are drawn into a mystery involving a trunk, a mysterious girl from South Africa, and jewel thieves.

I’ve always been a voracious reader. So, as a child, one of my favorite things about summer was the frequent trips to our local library, which was less than a mile from our house. Like most young girls of a cer
Eeee, Nancy!

I love the old books. The Mystery of the Brass-Bound Trunk was ALWAYS my favourite as a child. I think I read it about fourteen times. I guess now I know why I'm obsessed with cruise ships.

Things I adore about this novel (some serious, some not-so-much):

1. The fact that Ned is MIA. He was so unutterably boring, and as a kid, I used to ask my Mother why Nancy was with him. His name was Ned Nickerson for crying out loud. She deserved much better.

2. Nancy's cheatin' ways. I love how sh
This time Nancy uncovers a mystery while taking a cruise with her best pals George and Bess, and a new friend Nelda. With their help she stops a ring of jewellery thieves and clears Nelda and herself from suspicion.

I enjoyed this mystery because of the change of scenery as well as the clever disguises and tricks which occurred throughout.
This Nancy Drew was somewhat different - the girls weren't anywhere near River Heights and the "boys" didn't show up until the end.

Nancy and her friends are returning to New York from Holland on a cruise ship when there is a mix-up with the trunks. Of course, Nancy has to snoop and finds out the trunk is loaded with precious gems and secret government documents. The bad guys try to get the trunk back, but Nancy foils them and all ends well.

In this book, Nancy gets tossed overboard and is left
Maura Badji
My parents ran a group home for 7 mentally retarded teenagers as part of their jobs at a private school run by my father's brother in the late 1960s into the early 1970s. I found a carton of Nancy Drew books in the basement of the house we were given as part of the deal; I dived in and read them all.
I love the cover shown up here, which is nothing like the lavender 70s cover mine had. I may well become a Nancy purist in my old age. So far I've been content with denouncing the Case Files and later series, but yeah, any day I could start waving my cane and complaining about the 50s versions.
Kiana Domenech
This book is a classic and its mystery and I obviously love a good mystery and I just loved it in general and id recommend to read this because its a really good book.
Everyone needs a little bit of Nancy Drew in their lives. I loved this particular mystery when I was in elementary school...but it strangely vanished from the school library after the first time I read it and I never could get my hands on it again (the public library didn't have it either). I recently found it at a used book store, so it was time for a re-read.

I much prefer the writing style of the older Nancy Drews, before they were updated. (This one is the original 1940 version.) They are not
tthere wasn't much adventure in it,but overall it was pretty also had a really good mystery to it
I remember reading this one multiple times, and thinking it was one of my favorites.
Rachel Brand
I recently recieved a whole load of books back from a young friend of mine, ranging from Babysitters Club books to rather battered Nancy Drew novels. This was one of them, but apparently I'd leant this book out unread! I'm glad I got it back as it was a really cute little book which I enjoyed. I particularily liked the part where Nancy had her skirts "taken up" in the summer and "let down" in the winter - so quaint! I'm now trying to get some more Nancy Drew books and build up a little collectio ...more
Nancy faints from stress after George sustains a concussion. Nancy and their random roommate also end up being thrown off the oceanliner but are quickly rescued. They find piles of smuggled jewelry and papers in a steamer chest that looks just like Nancy's.
Nancy, Bess and George are aboard a cruise ship, when a trunk baring the initials ND is delivered to Nancy's room by mistake and she oversees two people communicating in sign language talking about her, she becomes embroiled in the mystery of jewel thieves, she also comes to the aid of Nelda, the girl sharing the cabin with the girls. Nelda has been accused of stealing a valuable bracelet and has been threatened and followed onto the ship. Can Nancy exonerate the girl and discover the mystery of ...more
The Nancy Drew books were a big part of my childhood.
( ●—● ) Evelynn
It's so hard writing reviews for Nancy Drew books. For the original 56, that is. So I'm going to keep it brief.

This mystery almost didn't keep me on edge and guessing like the others did. Could be that this "Carolyn Keene" was the newest one at the time and her mystery development was a little different. I'm not sure. It just didn't seem as intriguing as usual. But, sheesh, it's a Nancy Drew book. It was really good anyway, and it brought back memories of trips to the library and going home with
A real mystery till the very end.
Isabelle Spear
the creativity is amazing
This one was a real quick read and seemed to be one of the longer books that I have read in this series. I was really surprised my Nancy being such a tease in this book. I don't know at the time of this book being written if "sign language" had been established fully because she kept calling it the finger alphabet and they weren't using signs. The charges against the men didn't seem as bad as they should have been. Assault with a deadly weapon, attempt at murder, robbery, etc. That was quite the ...more
Nancy, Bess and George are sailing to New York and run into a mystery even at sea. Nancy's trunk is confused with another, that isn't quite right. Cant they trust their South african roommate? Are there international jewel thieves on board? Can Nancy solve the mystery before they arrive in New York? "Finger talking," a suspicious steward and a mischevious little boy all add to the confusion.

Like all the others, this Nancy Drew is exciting. Not the best out there, but definitely a good and easy r
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I remember the first time I read Nancy Drew. It blew my mind that there were girls presented with a brain. Most of the stuff I'd read up to that time, was that girls were sugar and spice - fluffy. No brains. To also learn about George who is a tomboy was a nice validation. Carolyn Keene wrote just for me! That is how I felt. When I did more research, I was shocked to find out, Ms. Keene was actually a man ... writing under Frank Dixon. I also loved the Hardy Boys. No wonder I loved these series.
Again, a case of mistaken identity. This time with a piece of luggage. Cute story. Nancy actually travels outside Riverton Heights to solve this one. And it's on a boat! With South Africans! No mention of the oppression there but then, the book was written in the 1940's. Also gives Nancy a chance to showcase her abilities (understanding some American sign language). This was the cleaned up '70s version, I wonder how different the '40s version must have been.
I remember my mum's American friend bought me this when I was little. I absolutely loved endless mystery series in which fairly bland protagonists solved unlikely mysteries time and time again. I'm a bit too cynical to re-read any Nancy Drew books now, but at the time I absolutely loved them. I think the series goes on for too long to be taken seriously - you can definitely have too much of a good thing - but this book alone stood out as my favourite. Ahh, nostalgia.
ships ahoy! nancy and her gal pals land on the dutch ship wischoten for some salty, seafaring, shenanigans! the foreign ship setting is very refreshing, having a titanticesque feel to it- minus the sinking, of course. handsome gents, passengers & staff alike, help the girls onboard, adding some interesting eye candy. chivalry, carolyn keene realizes, should never go out of style. i just hope ned, burt and dave don't get wind of it.
  • The Clue of the Broken Blade (Hardy Boys, #21)
  • The Red Trailer Mystery (Trixie Belden, #2)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene...

Nancy Drew (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew, #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew, #10)
The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1) The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew, #2) Nancy Drew: #1-64 The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3) The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)

“I’m inclined to believe that August must be convinced it was taken to the hold,” Rod said.” 0 likes