Start by marking “Old Times” as Want to Read:
Old Times

Harold Pinter

Old Times

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  585 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Like Pinter's earlier plays, Old Times deals with bare essentials. There are only three characters—a man named Deeley, his wife, Kate, and Anna, a friend of Kate's whom they have not seen for twenty years. Beneath the surface of their taut, witty conversation lurks suggestions of darkness, until the present is overwhelmed with intimations of some frightening past.
Published (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Old Times, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old Times

Phillip
Feb 02, 2013 Phillip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama
I find Pinter interesting and challenging as a playwright. His plays--like so many modern playwrights--need to be seen as well as read to fully appreciate them. I had the same experience with The Homecoming, I found that it was only by both reading the play and seeing the teleplay that I could appreciate it. I think that when I see Old Times this coming March I will get a much better sense of how it moves and what the characters mean, especially by their silences.

Pinter is the great playwright o
Glynnis

...but good.

(Silence)
Omar Manjouneh
هل ألوم الترجمة؟
نعم.. فالترجمة لم ترق لنصف مستوى النص ومع، ذلك فقد ارتعشت روحي عندما قرأت النهاية كما أشعر دائما مع الأعمال العظيمة.
أم ربما ألوم عبثية (بنتر) ومشتتاته الحوارية واللفظية المتتالية التي ربما تجعلني أشفق على المترجم المسكين الذي تصدى لها، فكيف الحال بـقارئ بسيط مثلي كانت (الأيام الخوالي) هي تعارفه الأول مع هذا "المسرحجي" المهم دون حتى أن يسبق ليه قراءة أي مقتطفات نقدية عنه، اللهم إلا مقدمة المترجم الذي يبدو أصلا أنه قام بعمله وهو في حاجة لمال، لأنه يبدو طوال الوقت متحيزا ضد المؤلف ا
Nov 20, 2015 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: Bettie
From BBC radio 3 - Drama on 3:
In a remote farmhouse, Deeley and Kate await a visitor. Anna is Kate's best friend, though Deeley has never met her. Is the past really as they remember it?

Old Times is a play about memory and desire. Tantalisingly enigmatic, it is a play about people in their forties looking back on old times, about reconciling the young person and the adult, about how you imagined things were going to be and how they turned out.

Vocal coach, Aimée Leonard.

Parastoo
Nov 27, 2015 Parastoo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a prose! What a language! The words moving in waves, as soft as water, edge-less, filled with floating tenderness.
Jeff
Mar 09, 2013 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Man, this is a strange play, even by Pinter's standards. I had to read it twice before it really started to crack open, and even then all one is left with is a miasma of possible meanings. There are many parallels with "Betrayal" here but blended with the obliqueness of "No Man's Land." I liked it and will keep pondering it, but it is difficult to judge fully without seeing it performed, as different casts could take it in many different directions.
بسام عبد العزيز
لماذا أتعذب وحدي؟!
لماذا لا أشارك الناس جزءا من هذا التعذيب؟!

"ذات يوم قالت لي: نمت طيلة يوم الجمعة. فقلت لها : لا لم يحدث. ماذا تعنين؟ فقالت: نمت يوم الجمعة كله. فقلت لها:ولكن اليوم يوم الجمعة وكان النهار كله يوم جمعة وحلت الآن ليلة الجمعة وإذن لم تنامي طوال يوم الجمعة. فقالت: بل حدث هذا نمت طوال النهار واليوم هو السبت"!

و هنا مات القارئ و المستمع و المشاهدين و كل من مر في حياتهم!
Steven
Nov 23, 2015 Steven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Old Times, Pinter it's more poetry than anything, I think- such in the way Pinter sculpts a little bit of language from silence , the way it seems like Deeley (and maybe Kate) sculpt Anna and the past from the present or vice versa, (really either point on the triangle or square (if time is a character and it is)) or -- no spoilers...
Valeri Drach
Oct 20, 2015 Valeri Drach rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I saw this play in my teens with my parents in Province Town on Cape Cod. I remember my mother saying that the passive person in a relationship really is the one with all the power. Perhaps the morale of this play!
Jeannette
Feb 07, 2015 Jeannette rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: play
Beth Younge
A very weird but i really enjoyed it! It was quite odd and it toook me a while to get the ending but after re-reading it, i understood it much better!
جابر طاحون
Mike Jensen
Nov 19, 2015 Mike Jensen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My second time with this brilliant and disturbing play. Glad I do not know these people, but glad I experience such brilliant and subtle writing.
jeremy
Nov 03, 2008 jeremy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama
pinter may very well have the most distinct voice in all of modern drama. old times, like many of the english playwright's mid-career works, examines the role of memory as it relates to the past. richly layered with subtlety and ambiguity, the play muses on the often disparate recollections that shape the present. it seems pinter's works would be most engrossing if seen performed upon the stage.

"there are some things one remembers even though they may never have happened. there are things i reme
Alias Reader
Roundabout Theatre production
Ren
Feb 10, 2013 Ren rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Russell
Aug 18, 2012 Russell rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
This was a fun play. There were cool characters. I think I might dig on Pinter's females way more than his males. Or his males are just weirdos.

There was a weird atmosphere of tension throughout the play. The story progressed in a neat way continuing through the ending.

I would watch this play.
Jessi
Jan 11, 2011 Jessi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I reread this little play after discussing with a friend my dislike of Pinter. Since I trust my friend's taste and Pinter is one of his favorites, I thought maybe I should give his work another shot... Unfortunately, I still didn't really enjoy it.
Alyse
Jun 04, 2008 Alyse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008, plays, plays-2008
What a mind fuck. A chilling 'love' story that makes you question everything you know about the play, characters, love, and relationships. I hope with all my heart I shall one day be able to play one/both of these fantastic female characters.
Constance
Oh Pinter, you always manage to stump me. This stands to show how clueless I am without a guide when reading absurdist theater. The story is quite dark from what I could comprehend, but in the end, it's not really my cup of tea.
Benjamin Montero
Enjoyed, but read the Hothouse previously that completely blew my mind, but this was still good. My reading was that Deeley had killed both women but after reading different interpretations will re-read. An Intriguing text.
Steve
Nov 15, 2015 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-read in preparation to seeing the current production with Clive Owen. A great, enigmatic (and funny) play.

Just back from the play and decided to reread (again). Even better. A masterful and strange work.
Gregorio
Strange play. Over my head, really.
Lori
Mar 11, 2008 Lori rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A thought-provoking and confusing play that portrays unsettling mind games played amongst a middle-aged couple and a visiting friend from their separate pasts.
Sannie Hald
I went to see the production of this yesterday, 21st of November 2012, and was really intrigued by this play.. And it was amazing!
Nancy
Sep 10, 2007 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theatre
I'm a Pinter fan, but I think that either love this play or hate it, you must admit that some of the language used is truly beautiful.
Kissmekate
Feb 16, 2013 Kissmekate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can't say I really understood it ... but it keeps me thinking about it, pondering various aspects, and that's a good thing.
Ella
Jul 01, 2012 Ella rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
WTF was this book. So confused. I wish I could've read it with Ms. Levy.
Dennis
Jun 28, 2009 Dennis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite Pinter play. The only one I've actually seen Pinter act in.
Goodreads Librari...: A new edition for Old Times 3 27 Feb 18, 2012 01:30PM
  • Phaedra's Love
  • The Hairy Ape
  • Three Tall Women
  • Water by the Spoonful
Harold Pinter, CH, CBE, was an English playwright, screenwriter, actor, director, political activist and poet. He was one of the most influential playwrights of modern times. In 2005 he was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature.

After publishing poetry and acting in school plays as a teenager in London, Pinter began his professional theatrical career in 1951, touring throughout Ireland. From 1952,
More about Harold Pinter...

“There are some things one remembers even though they may never have happened.” 363 likes
“هناك أشياء يستطيع الإنسان أن يتذكرها ولو أنها لم تحدث إطلاقا. هناك أمور أتذكرها ربما لم تحدث أبدا، لكن عندما أسترجعها تحتل مكانا في خيالي.” 1 likes