Start by marking “Old Times” as Want to Read:
Old Times

Harold Pinter

Old Times

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  467 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Like Pinter's earlier plays, Old Times deals with bare essentials. There are only three characters—a man named Deeley, his wife, Kate, and Anna, a friend of Kate's whom they have not seen for twenty years. Beneath the surface of their taut, witty conversation lurks suggestions of darkness, until the present is overwhelmed with intimations of some frightening past.
Published (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Old Times, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old Times

Phillip
I find Pinter interesting and challenging as a playwright. His plays--like so many modern playwrights--need to be seen as well as read to fully appreciate them. I had the same experience with The Homecoming, I found that it was only by both reading the play and seeing the teleplay that I could appreciate it. I think that when I see Old Times this coming March I will get a much better sense of how it moves and what the characters mean, especially by their silences.

Pinter is the great playwright o
Omar Manjouneh
هل ألوم الترجمة؟
نعم.. فالترجمة لم ترق لنصف مستوى النص ومع، ذلك فقد ارتعشت روحي عندما قرأت النهاية كما أشعر دائما مع الأعمال العظيمة.
أم ربما ألوم عبثية (بنتر) ومشتتاته الحوارية واللفظية المتتالية التي ربما تجعلني أشفق على المترجم المسكين الذي تصدى لها، فكيف الحال بـقارئ بسيط مثلي كانت (الأيام الخوالي) هي تعارفه الأول مع هذا "المسرحجي" المهم دون حتى أن يسبق ليه قراءة أي مقتطفات نقدية عنه، اللهم إلا مقدمة المترجم الذي يبدو أصلا أنه قام بعمله وهو في حاجة لمال، لأنه يبدو طوال الوقت متحيزا ضد المؤلف ا
Jeannette
جابر طاحون
jeremy
pinter may very well have the most distinct voice in all of modern drama. old times, like many of the english playwright's mid-career works, examines the role of memory as it relates to the past. richly layered with subtlety and ambiguity, the play muses on the often disparate recollections that shape the present. it seems pinter's works would be most engrossing if seen performed upon the stage.

"there are some things one remembers even though they may never have happened. there are things i reme
Jeff
Man, this is a strange play, even by Pinter's standards. I had to read it twice before it really started to crack open, and even then all one is left with is a miasma of possible meanings. There are many parallels with "Betrayal" here but blended with the obliqueness of "No Man's Land." I liked it and will keep pondering it, but it is difficult to judge fully without seeing it performed, as different casts could take it in many different directions.
Ren
Russell
This was a fun play. There were cool characters. I think I might dig on Pinter's females way more than his males. Or his males are just weirdos.

There was a weird atmosphere of tension throughout the play. The story progressed in a neat way continuing through the ending.

I would watch this play.
Jessi
I reread this little play after discussing with a friend my dislike of Pinter. Since I trust my friend's taste and Pinter is one of his favorites, I thought maybe I should give his work another shot... Unfortunately, I still didn't really enjoy it.
Alyse
What a mind fuck. A chilling 'love' story that makes you question everything you know about the play, characters, love, and relationships. I hope with all my heart I shall one day be able to play one/both of these fantastic female characters.
Constance
Oh Pinter, you always manage to stump me. This stands to show how clueless I am without a guide when reading absurdist theater. The story is quite dark from what I could comprehend, but in the end, it's not really my cup of tea.
Benjamin Montero
Enjoyed, but read the Hothouse previously that completely blew my mind, but this was still good. My reading was that Deeley had killed both women but after reading different interpretations will re-read. An Intriguing text.
Gregorio
Strange play. Over my head, really.
Lori
A thought-provoking and confusing play that portrays unsettling mind games played amongst a middle-aged couple and a visiting friend from their separate pasts.
Sannie Hald
I went to see the production of this yesterday, 21st of November 2012, and was really intrigued by this play.. And it was amazing!
Nancy
I'm a Pinter fan, but I think that either love this play or hate it, you must admit that some of the language used is truly beautiful.
Kissmekate
Can't say I really understood it ... but it keeps me thinking about it, pondering various aspects, and that's a good thing.
Glynnis
It was good.

(Pause)

Confusing...

(Slight Pause)

...but good.

(Silence)
Ella
WTF was this book. So confused. I wish I could've read it with Ms. Levy.
Dennis
My favorite Pinter play. The only one I've actually seen Pinter act in.
Emilie
pinter as king of the art of 'saying little, so little'.
Ed
A lesser play, but gosh I love the dialogue.
Phoebe
Another Pinter favorite of mine!
Goodreads Librari...: A new edition for Old Times 3 26 Feb 18, 2012 01:30PM
  • Stuff Happens
  • Venus in Fur
  • A Skull in Connemara - Acting Edition
  • Joe Turner's Come and Gone
Harold Pinter, CH, CBE, was an English playwright, screenwriter, actor, director, political activist and poet. He was one of the most influential playwrights of modern times. In 2005 he was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature.

After publishing poetry and acting in school plays as a teenager in London, Pinter began his professional theatrical career in 1951, touring throughout Ireland. From 1952,
More about Harold Pinter...
The Birthday Party The Homecoming Betrayal The Caretaker The Dumb Waiter

“There are some things one remembers even though they may never have happened.” 348 likes
“هناك أشياء يستطيع الإنسان أن يتذكرها ولو أنها لم تحدث إطلاقا. هناك أمور أتذكرها ربما لم تحدث أبدا، لكن عندما أسترجعها تحتل مكانا في خيالي.” 0 likes