Start by marking “Out of the Ocean” as Want to Read:
Out of the Ocean

Out of the Ocean

Open this book and walk along the ocean shore. If you look carefully, you might find all kinds of things. Some--like shells and sea glass--will be small enough to fit in your hand. Others--like the sun and the sky and the waves--will be too big to carry home. But no matter what your journey holds, you’ll soon discover that looking for the ocean’s treasures can be as import ...more
Published March 15th 1998 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Out of the Ocean, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of the Ocean

Liz
Feb 27, 2013 Liz rated it liked it
Week 4: Debra Frasier Book

A mother and daughter roam the beach in search of treasure. The mother and daughter play with the belief that you can ask for ocean for anything and you will get what you want. Asking for everything from sea shells to beach glass, they get their every wish.

"Out of the Ocean" is appropriate for ages 4+ (Grades PreK+).

I like that this book is very simple yet thought-provoking. The illustrations are made of paper cut-outs and real photographs taken of the sea. This book
Becky B
Sep 12, 2013 Becky B rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A child and mother who live on the beach remind each other to notice the things around them and find treasures in the things the ocean washes up.

The illustrations are a very interesting mix of collage and photographs. I felt the accompanying text could have been stronger. I'm not sure how well this book would keep the attention of kids. There were some nice notes in the back about how the author's family has lived on the beach for several generations and the kinds of things they've found over th
Cathy Blackler
Mar 05, 2011 Cathy Blackler rated it it was amazing
This book will speak to anyone who loves the majesty of the ocean. A conversation between mother and daughter accompanies Frasier's stunning artwork. Paper collage, artifacts, and photographs are combined to create rich, captivating pages. I have always lived on the West Coast, and cannot imagine life without the ocean, beach and all its treasures. Readers will count Frasier's beautiful homage as an ocean treasure, too.
Whole And
Jun 11, 2013 Whole And rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Another incredibly illustrated and written book by Debra Frasier (On the Day You Were Born being my favourite) to inspire daydreaming, slow down the breath and play with concept of what we ask for and how the ocean washes up what we'd like. A beautiful book to share with your little one, especially for a mother and daughter.
Sabrina Henry
The author talks about the ocean in its actuality. It is a simple story that guides you notice th eocean and its interesting offers.
I like the use of real pictures in the book. This story can be used to teach about appreciation of nature. This book can be listened to in the dark, as it would also boost your imagination and put you into a reflective mood.
Amy Olson
Apr 10, 2011 Amy Olson rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
Out of the Ocean is a book to introduce students to descriptive writing. An interesting activity to do with students is to have them imagine what they see when the hear the words read to them, have a conversation about with the class and see how different students imagined the text.
Wolf Trap Institute For Early Learning Through the Arts
Extending the concept; making predictions, sorting and categorizing, extending the concept, social/emotional
development, character development; addressing visual/spatial, musical, and kinesthetic learning
styles.
Alice
Aug 30, 2013 Alice rated it liked it
This was pretty good! I like the texture of the sand in the pictures and the story is interesting. It makes me want to go beach combing. I have been on several beaches the last few years and I haven't found sea glass, but I have found a lot of sea shells and I have the enjoyed the sea. Nice one!
Katie
Apr 28, 2008 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a wonderful reminder of the ocean with actual photographs of the beach and the treasures found there.
roxanne May
roxanne May rated it did not like it
Apr 07, 2015
Debra
Debra rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2016
Luck Naja
Luck Naja rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2014
Margaret
Margaret rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2013
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2011
Sunbri
Sunbri rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2008
Ingrid
Ingrid rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2013
ModiTronics
ModiTronics rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2014
C
C rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Rene
Rene rated it liked it
May 23, 2014
Kristi Swenson
Kristi Swenson rated it it was ok
May 31, 2014
Emma
Emma rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2014
Valerie Cline
Valerie Cline rated it liked it
May 17, 2014
Iris Kaneshige
Iris Kaneshige rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2012
Monica
Monica rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2016
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2009
Michele
Michele rated it liked it
May 11, 2013
Jennifer Clevenger
Jennifer Clevenger rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2013
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2014
Sandy
Sandy rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Debra Frasier is the author and illustrator of many award-winning picture books including On the Day You Were Born and Miss Alaineus, A Vocabulary Disaster. In addition to her well-known talks on creative process, Debra’s innovative "Book Events" build a community’s creativity through projects that start with a story. Visit debrafrasier.com to see how a parade of words can make you laugh, how the ...more
More about Debra Frasier...