Start by marking “Elric le nécromancien (Elric, #4)” as Want to Read:
Elric le nécromancien (Elric, #4)

Elric le nécromancien (The Elric Saga #3)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  5,872 ratings  ·  82 reviews
Le Glorieux Empire de Melniboné s'est effondré sous l'assaut des Puissances surnaturelles. Ses fils se sont dispersés à la surface de la Terre et s'éteignent lentement, haïs et craints des hommes, perdant le souvenir de leur antique fortune. Elric, le prince des ruines, descendant des empereurs, est le dernier adorateur de leurs dieux grotesques et merveilleux aux temples ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 158 pages
Published 2005 by Pocket (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Elric le nécromancien, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elric le nécromancien

Red Haircrow
Michael Moorcock has created many characters who are an aspect of the Eternal Champion, who battles sometimes on the side of Law and sometimes on the side of Chaos, depending on his incarnation. In the incarnation of Elric of Melnibone, a man weak in body except when augmented by the stolen souls provided through the medium of the perilous sword Stormbringer, he is powerful in intellect, passion and magic.

Yet more than that, he is a man who is the very embodiment of the hard choices which Fate
Evgeny
The third book of Elric saga: the boneheaded decision Elric made in the end of the first book came back to him bearing fruits. Now the only way to correct his own stupidity is to sacrifice his own people and to live with this memory for the rest of his life. The book is notable for the fact that Elric acquires a sidekick in it.

This is a typical Elric book: larger than life magic, meddling gods who never show up when they are really needed, an anti-hero, struggle of Chaos and Law on grand scale
Keely
In my last two reviews, I have talked about how Moorcock's fevered imagination keeps these books aloft, even when the plot seems to grow disconnected from the series, or the characters grow repetitive, but he seems to be losing steam, for this book moves along apace, advancing the plot here and there, but not materially adding anything new to our understanding of the world or the characters.

Moorcock's shorter plot arcs lack the grand set pieces and focus which make Leiber's and Howard's works so
sologdin
More pulpy sword & sorcery, episodic, fast-paced to the point of parody.

Includes what is now the obligatory cryptic prologue. Prologue here has the virtue of self-riducule, wherein the hero is not Elric, but his ancestor Aubec, from whom he had the sword in volume I, prior to achieving the nuclear-sword with which he is more famously associated. Aubec has gone to the edge of the world to incorporate the last castle into the empire, but is tricked by its occupant to win not merely the castle,
Chris
This is an old favorite, and it hasn't lost any of its charm. The three novellas here are "The Dreaming City", "While the Gods Laugh", and "The Singing Citadel".

All enjoyable, but "The Dreaming City" stands out, way out. This was where Elric first appeared in 1961, and everything else came from that. This story alone rates 5-stars. It has all of the tragic punch of the Elric saga and the story flow is fantastic.

The other two stories are very good too, coming in a 4-stars each. They tell of some
Jorge
(Este comentario abarca tres libros que leí en una compilación en francés, Elric le nécromancien, y que en inglés abarca al menos los libros The Weird of the White Wolf, The Bane of the Black Sword y Stormbringer. Así, este comentario se repite en los citados libros)

¿Qué se puede decir de la saga de Elric que no se haya dicho ya? La llaman “fantasía épica oscura”, es una gran tragedia, una cosmogonía que narra hechos ocurridos, supuestamente, mucho antes de los registros geológicos de la Tierra.
Brady
Michael Moorcock's favorite word in this book is "ironically." He said ironically, he did ironically. It's a full cast of hipsters here.

The third book in the Elric series goes more into Elric's personality, with mixed results. You can really see Moorcock struggling to get a character arc going here, but that's the problem: you can see it. That sort of thing should only be noticeable when you finish the book and sit down to do a review. Elric is not intrinsically an interesting character anymore
Robert Beveridge
Michael Moorcock, The Weird of the White Wolf (DAW, 1977)

The third book in the Elric series introduces the reader to Moonglum, Elric's longtime companion (and, thanks to AD&D's Deities and Demigods book, the companion most readers can't imagine him without). Much of the second novel moved away from the events of the first, and concentrated Elric's character on other adventures. The Weird of the White Wolf brings Elric back to Melnibonë along with Moonglum, their friend Smiorgan Baldhead, and
Carl V.
Michael Moorcock ramps things up with this third volume of Elric tales. This story includes a prologue that introduces two very interesting characters before moving on to Elric, who is returning after his year of adventure to exact his revenge on the man who tried to kill him and usurp his throne. The relationship between Elric and his sword, Stormbringer, builds during this novel. I'm finding these compelling reads. A more detailed review can be found here:

Rita Arcidiacono
Non riesco a farmelo piacere.
Personaggio che spesso si lascia andare all'auto-compassione.
Passa dal piangersi addosso alle meditazioni metafisiche sul significato della vita.
Dichiara che il suo scopo, la sua "domanda più grande", è comprendere se ci sia qualcuno che governa al di sopra delle due fazioni di Caos e Legge.
Un po' debole e molto astratta come motivazione che lo spinga ad abbandonare un trono, una sposa che amava e a diventare il candidato a distruggere la sua genia.
Un "maledetto" che
Erythrina
Oh, Elric. Do thou not knoweth? One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

And congratulations Mr. Moorcock. You managed to reduce Elric to whiny, spineless, predictable, pathetic wimp (and no, putting your tongue into every single female that says 'Hi' does not change that).

So many good ideas, all gone to waste.
Chilly SavageMelon
I love these Elric books, the best stuff Moorcock did. It's genre pulp so don't look for high-mindedness. But a classic anti-hero, whoopin ass with sword and sorcery. I first found these around 13 and they still hold up...at least for my inner 13 year old.
Kenny
I'm really unsure of what to think of this book (and series). I may have perhaps been influenced by the large epic fantasy written in more modern times - the magician, game of thrones, etc. Most modern epic fantasy has a very strong plot and characters.

Elric does not.

Moorcock has once again written a trio of short stories that are very loosely bound by having the same characters, and a slight sense of a timeline. The sections don't feel like real stories, more 'vignettes' of stuff happening, as
Colin Cherry
A brooding, adolescent, vaguely misogynistic power fantasy. Yet this is where it all started. Law versus Chaos, leading to alignment in D&D, and from there, infusing into everything else. Like it or not, these are my roots. And there is stuff to like. Some great throw-away descriptions hint at a fantastic world without needing to flesh it out. Moorcock had me hooked after introducing the femme fatale as a "wingless woman of Myyrrhn." And when the brooding isn't goofy, Elric can be genuinely ...more
Rey Mysterioso
And here, doom-drowning Elric of Melnibone saves a fat-mouthed Eastlander from some weird hunting dog-horses. And so Moonglum enters the legend; the only character that will stay until nigh on the end of things.

Well, beyond Elric himself, of course.

This book helps us better understand Moorcock's legend of Chaos versus Law. How it plays out on multiple planes of existence, forever and ever. Reality, in all its myriad guises is nothing more than a struggle written small and large both. In our cell
Patrick
Review coming eventually
Devon
The Weird of the White Wolf is probably the best title of any book, even within the Elric Saga, especially if you’re familiar with the etymological history of “weird”, and its use here. In this, the third book, Elric’s weird is set, and he loses everything - partially to his own mistakes, partially to his own willful action, though we can give credit a little to his fate as an aspect of the Eternal Champion.

If one doesn’t like Elric before this book, the events here will not change their mind.
Jon
Meh. I'm still unsure where I sit on the Elric books. I need a break at any rate.

(Note that this review is about Elric 1-3, rather than this book explicitly.)

In theory I like that Moorcock spits in the face of convention. If everyone stuck with conventions all the time, I'd be bored as soon as I knew what the conventions were. I love GRRM for being willing to kill characters without fulfilling their plots. But Moorcock goes a bit overboard. Elric is unabashedly evil. He's a whiny emo bitch and I
Mike

I'm a lover of The Eternal Champion concept. I first read the Corum books (The Coming of Chaos/Swords trilogy) in college and was instantly hooked. I haven't had much time for reading since college. Then a few years ago, I decided to get back into it and i wanted to go back to the last great book I remembered reading and decided It was time to read more of the Eternal Champion. So, i plan on reading them all in order and then hit the recently published graphic novels. I was excited to get into
Πέτρος
Notice: I have made a review for every book of this series and they need to be read in order since they are supposed to feel like an on-going impression. So if you read the second without reading the first will feel rather off.

I am mostly focusing on the style of storytelling and a lot less on if it reads well or something sophisticated like that. For the same reason I tend to have lots of SPOILERS which means that if you read this text you will know THE OVERALL PLOT and how much I DIDN’T like
David Sarkies
Sep 09, 2014 David Sarkies rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Buffs
Recommended to David by: Alice
Shelves: fantasy
Elric meets Moonglum
4 July 2013

I know I have read this one because I have pretty much read most of the Elric books (though there is one I believe that I didn't read because it got to the point where I had begun to lose interest in them and had moved on to bigger and better things). This is not one of the best of the Elric books, and in a way, for me at least, it is very forgettable. The reason that I say that is because, well, I have forgotten pretty much what it is about. It does introduce his
Alexander Draganov
The third book in the "Elric" saga by Michael Moorcock is the best in the series so far. It begins with the captivating story "The Dreaming City" in which Elric returns to the Imrryr, the imperial city of Melnibone. Yyrkoon has usurped the trone again and Elric must finally face his bitter enemy in a fight to the death - death, indeed, is waiting for him and his pet army of barbarians, but not in any way expected.
Two more adventures follow. A fascinating journey after a Book which is rumored to
Charles Dee Mitchell
You expect the heros of epic fantasy to be the "love 'em and leave 'em" sort, but here Elric proves to be the "love 'em and leave 'em dead" sort. His runesword Stormbringer must have its souls, and when Elric fights his evil cousin Yyrkoom, Stormbringer also requires the life of Elric's love Cymoril. (If this didn't all happen in the first chapter, Ii suppose it would count as a spoiler.) Elric is devasted, and in his escape from the flaming city of Imrryr, he must also abandon his friends to de ...more
Kascha
This is one of the top two best books in the series. Second only to Stormbringer, but unquestionably more vital and pivotal.

There's plenty of action. Massive sea battles. major sorcery involving demons and elementals both. Dragons - showing the majesty and power of Elric's race and just how awesome he is to be arguably the greatest sorcerer the Isle has ever seen.

When I say more vital and pivotal than the concluding book of the series, I really mean it. Everything this series is to become, is l
Onefinemess
Somehow I’m still amused to open my drawer at work to grab my lunch & lunch reading and see the word MOORCOCK in giant letters. Nothing wrong with a little juvenile amusement, I suppose.

Anyway, yeah, as I implied above, reading this series feels like homework. It’s amazingly poorly written, plotted, etc. by modern standards, yet it’s an undeniable classic – probably more due to its role in pushing fantasy out there to the masses than presenting an engaging story.

NOW. In time-period context t
Sath
Elric returns to Melnibone, with several fleets of mercenary ships, to take back the throne and his fiancee, from his evil cousin Yrkoon. And things go absolutely horribly wrong. Would be hard to say much more without - what I consider to be - spoilers!

I thought the beginning of the book was somewhat anticlimatic after the first 2 books. And I am still quietly bitching at Elric for leaving his fiancee and Kingdom to Yrkoon at the end of book 1, what did you think would happen?!

But all Elric seem
Jareed
I was giddy picking this book up. I was looking for a good series in the field of epic fantasy after reading full blown novels and saw that the Elric series is revered in the genre. I finished the two books and did not stop until well within the third of the series. However, the seemingly unprecedented fears of reading Moorcock and the Elric saga emerging within the second book (which for me) seemed to have been nothing but unfounded was embossed within the third books as if fundamentally attach ...more
Brian Turner
Third of the Elric novels. In this, he comes to realise and question his dependence on Stormbringer, and meets up with Moonglum who becomes his sidekick for the rest of the series.

A short read, containing several short stories of the standard swords and sorcery variety along with the deeper sentiments of whether Law and Chaos have something controlling them, and whether the man depends on the sword or the sword depends on the man.
Siskoid Albert
As with the previous book, it actually features three short adventures. In the first, Elric returns to Melniboné and more or less wipes out his ties with Book 1. The second sends him on a quest to find an ancient book. And in the third, he faces a God of Chaos. All three (and the non-Elric prologue as well) share a theme. In each, the hero is led to adventure by a woman. The prologue would have her be untrustworthy, but this is ambiguous. Each story in turn features treachery, but it can't be la ...more
Eddie
There wasn't much new ground covered in book 3 of the Elric saga. He's still a darkly brooding, unlikely hero. Despite these being considered fantasy classics by the early, hard-core fantasy role-players, reading yet another book of his eternal self-pity and apathy was tedious and boring. It's the same story in a different setting with a few different characters. Been there. Done that. It is old now.

Out of a skewed sense of loyalty to the series (for some reason, I feel that I should have read t
  • Swords Against Wizardry (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #4)
  • Elric: Tales of the White Wolf (Michael Moorcock's Elric)
  • Darkness Weaves
  • Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melnibone
  • Elric: Stormbringer
  • Conan of Cimmeria (Conan 2)
  • Thieves' World (Thieves' World, #1)
Michael John Moorcock is an English writer primarily of science fiction and fantasy who has also published a number of literary novels.
Moorcock has mentioned The Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Apple Cart by George Bernard Shaw and The Constable of St. Nicholas by Edward Lester Arnold as the first three books which captured his imagination. He became editor of Tarzan Adventures in 1956,
More about Michael Moorcock...
Elric of Melniboné (Elric, #1) Stormbringer (Elric, #6) The Vanishing Tower (Elric, #4) The Sailor on the Seas of Fate (Elric, #2) The Bane of the Black Sword (The Elric Saga, #5)