Start by marking “Little By Little” as Want to Read:
Little By Little

Little By Little

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  21 reviews
From the author-illustrator team of I'M BIG ENOUGH comes this new story about doing what you always thought you couldn't.

Otto is an otter who can do many things. But there's one thing he can't do: swim. Little by little, and with a some help from his big sister, Otto gets the courage--and the practice-- to splash and tumble in the water with his friends.

The story and illus
Published May 1st 2008 by Orchard Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Little By Little, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little By Little

Kathryn
Ohmygosh! This book is soooo cute!!! All about little otter getting the courage (and encouragement) to swim. The pictures make me want to snuggle up with some otters (and go swimming, even if it IS December)! I like it all the more because there are two otters at the pond at our library these days! :-)
Charlie
Otto was a otter who was too afraid to swim. If he wanted he would hop close to the riverbank. Amber Stewart Amber Stewart had a very good story idea in my opinion.

One day, Otto's sister tells Otto that he has to start small and end big. That's what he did. He started small and ended big.
Den
This is a wonderful book about a young otter who is too afraid to swim but who gets up the courage to try a small step each day until he can do it. The pictures are gorgeous and I wish this book had been avaiable when my children were younger.
Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
A great story about never giving up and the importance learning a skill little by little with lots of love and support from family and friends. Cheer on Otter as he finally learns to swim.

Lauren White
Good for grades prek-2
Ann
Dec 09, 2008 Ann rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ann by: Katie
Oh my gosh! This is so cute!!
It’s a fairly simple story (an otter that can’t swim), and pretty predictable. But that doesn’t take away from the sweetness of the story and the absolutely adorable pictures!! It’s somewhat like the “Little Engine That Could” idea, that you can do anything so long as you set your mind to it – only the moral in this book focuses on taking things is tiny steps to reach your goal.

Totally worth the read, if for nothing else but the pictures!

Amber
I picked this book with a bunch of others at the library to read to my daughter, purely based on the cover art, not knowing how relevant and meaningful it would be to her at the moment. Being about a little otter who can't swim and is afraid of jumping into the deep water, it was perfect for my daughter who is currently struggling with swimming lessons. Hopefully the message will help her to overcome her fears little by little...
Emo
Carrie has asked me to put a bunch of my favorite children's books on goodreads, so here we go. I love this because it's simple and really helped nicholas understand that you can't always do everything well the first time. Some things take time. It's more for younger children, but I bought it for Nicholas because he has a really hard time with this concept. (he's 8, but it's more for 3-6)
Heather
This book was extremely fun to read with our 5-year-old daughter. She loved the otter and how he kept trying, little by little, to learn to swim. Even though we picked this book out for fun, we have been able to refer to it with our daughter to remind her to try, little by little, to learn new things!
MissInformation
Cute pictures and a good concept- otter who is afraid to swim and learns by doing a little at a time (hopping, floating, kicking, etc.). Inside they used the phrase in the book "start small" instead of little by little.... I make it more consistent in my storytelling. Good for summertime storytimes.
Jenna
Otto is a young otter with many talents. He is proud of all the things he can do, but he is sad because he can't swim. With some encouragement from his older sister and his friends, Otto will strive to attain his dream of swimming. Kids will enjoy the colorful pictures and will cheer Otto on.
Liza Gilbert
This is a gentle story about learning how to swim. The message is that if you have something big to accomplish, you should start small and work your way up. Also indirectly reinforced is the importance of friends and family in reaching a big goal. Very cute; very gentle.
Boni
I really liked this. Adorable art and a lovely simple text. I probably would have rated it five stars if it weren't quite so preachy. It's a lesson book, so that's sort-of to be expected, but the approach could be a bit more oblique.
Cindy
Wonderful story that demonstrates that as long as you try a little bit every day that you can achieve your goal. This was especially helpful to my daughter because she too wanted to learn how to swim this summer.
Amy
"You started small and finished big." What are some hard things you like to do? What small things can you do now to get started? In terms of writing--to become good at it you must start simply, learn and improve.
Ruth
Love the illustrations and the story. A great lesson for kids--that we learn things little by little and that we should keep trying. The little otter is a cute main character. (Aaron would like this story)
Laura Komos
While it was a little predictable, it was a charming story about a little otter who is learning to swim. I was able to tie it in to a lesson on choosing good fit books, which worked really well.
Andrea Wilkinson
This is a great book about being patient and not giving up when trying something new! Little Otter's mom and family are supportive of Little Otter as he s-l-o-w-l-y learns how to swim.
Andi Winterfield
This is one of the cutest books I've ever seen! I love the sweet story & the adorable illustrations. My kids are in love with this book! Looking forward to reading more from Amber Stewart.
Christina
I loved the message of patience in this book.. great for children who are trying to grow up too fast or accomplish too much without going little by little.
Nilgun
Such a fine drawing and cut story...
Krisann Rhodes
Krisann Rhodes marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Aiyah
Aiyah added it
May 27, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Mgan
Mgan marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
OPE Leader In Me: Book of the Month - October 2 3 Oct 10, 2012 12:34PM
Rabbit Ears No Babysitters Allowed Bedtime For Button I'm Big Enough Too Small for My Big Bed: Sleep Tight in Your Own Bed Tonight!