Start by marking “Little By Little” as Want to Read:
Little By Little

Little By Little

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  99 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
From the author-illustrator team of I'M BIG ENOUGH comes this new story about doing what you always thought you couldn't.

Otto is an otter who can do many things. But there's one thing he can't do: swim. Little by little, and with a some help from his big sister, Otto gets the courage--and the practice-- to splash and tumble in the water with his friends.

The story and illus
Published May 1st 2008 by Orchard Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Little By Little, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little By Little

Kathryn
Dec 02, 2008 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Ohmygosh! This book is soooo cute!!! All about little otter getting the courage (and encouragement) to swim. The pictures make me want to snuggle up with some otters (and go swimming, even if it IS December)! I like it all the more because there are two otters at the pond at our library these days! :-)
Charlie
Jan 30, 2014 Charlie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Otto was a otter who was too afraid to swim. If he wanted he would hop close to the riverbank. Amber Stewart Amber Stewart had a very good story idea in my opinion.

One day, Otto's sister tells Otto that he has to start small and end big. That's what he did. He started small and ended big.
Alia Silmon
Oct 14, 2015 Alia Silmon rated it did not like it
i think the little otto didnt know how to swim and so his sister told him to keep on trying how to swim and he kept on jumping high like the other people was and he learned how to swim and at the end he had swim along to the whole lake and his sister and his whole family had went swimming all together and his sister had got proud of her little brother.
Edwin Soto
Oct 14, 2015 Edwin Soto rated it really liked it
I like this book i like the details shown in this book.When reading this book u can really imagine like if you're in the story.I recommend this book to children because children maybe would like to learn on how a beaver learns how to swim.

Den
Apr 23, 2014 Den rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, 2014
This is a wonderful book about a young otter who is too afraid to swim but who gets up the courage to try a small step each day until he can do it. The pictures are gorgeous and I wish this book had been avaiable when my children were younger.
Kate
Jan 31, 2016 Kate rated it really liked it
Definitely one of my new all-time favourites. Will want to get a copy to add to my personal collection. Wonderful story about one's strengths and weaknesses, and how to take one's time in learning a new skill, step by step to achieve any goal. LOVELY book.
Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
A great story about never giving up and the importance learning a skill little by little with lots of love and support from family and friends. Cheer on Otter as he finally learns to swim.

Shelley
May 27, 2016 Shelley rated it really liked it
Shelves: age-4, age-6
A good little book to read for my four and six-year-old learning to swim. The cute Otter learns little by little how to swim and it makes swimming more encouraging.
Lauren White
Sep 15, 2014 Lauren White rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Good for grades prek-2
Ann
Dec 09, 2008 Ann rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ann by: Katie
Oh my gosh! This is so cute!!
It’s a fairly simple story (an otter that can’t swim), and pretty predictable. But that doesn’t take away from the sweetness of the story and the absolutely adorable pictures!! It’s somewhat like the “Little Engine That Could” idea, that you can do anything so long as you set your mind to it – only the moral in this book focuses on taking things is tiny steps to reach your goal.

Totally worth the read, if for nothing else but the pictures!

Amber
May 17, 2012 Amber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-kids
I picked this book with a bunch of others at the library to read to my daughter, purely based on the cover art, not knowing how relevant and meaningful it would be to her at the moment. Being about a little otter who can't swim and is afraid of jumping into the deep water, it was perfect for my daughter who is currently struggling with swimming lessons. Hopefully the message will help her to overcome her fears little by little...
Emo
Sep 03, 2008 Emo rated it it was amazing
Carrie has asked me to put a bunch of my favorite children's books on goodreads, so here we go. I love this because it's simple and really helped nicholas understand that you can't always do everything well the first time. Some things take time. It's more for younger children, but I bought it for Nicholas because he has a really hard time with this concept. (he's 8, but it's more for 3-6)
Heather
Aug 20, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing
This book was extremely fun to read with our 5-year-old daughter. She loved the otter and how he kept trying, little by little, to learn to swim. Even though we picked this book out for fun, we have been able to refer to it with our daughter to remind her to try, little by little, to learn new things!
MissInformation
Jul 31, 2008 MissInformation rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Cute pictures and a good concept- otter who is afraid to swim and learns by doing a little at a time (hopping, floating, kicking, etc.). Inside they used the phrase in the book "start small" instead of little by little.... I make it more consistent in my storytelling. Good for summertime storytimes.
Jenna
Otto is a young otter with many talents. He is proud of all the things he can do, but he is sad because he can't swim. With some encouragement from his older sister and his friends, Otto will strive to attain his dream of swimming. Kids will enjoy the colorful pictures and will cheer Otto on.
Liza Gilbert
Aug 07, 2009 Liza Gilbert rated it really liked it
This is a gentle story about learning how to swim. The message is that if you have something big to accomplish, you should start small and work your way up. Also indirectly reinforced is the importance of friends and family in reaching a big goal. Very cute; very gentle.
Boni
Aug 11, 2009 Boni rated it really liked it
I really liked this. Adorable art and a lovely simple text. I probably would have rated it five stars if it weren't quite so preachy. It's a lesson book, so that's sort-of to be expected, but the approach could be a bit more oblique.
Cindy
Aug 16, 2011 Cindy rated it liked it
Shelves: review, childrens
Wonderful story that demonstrates that as long as you try a little bit every day that you can achieve your goal. This was especially helpful to my daughter because she too wanted to learn how to swim this summer.
Amy
"You started small and finished big." What are some hard things you like to do? What small things can you do now to get started? In terms of writing--to become good at it you must start simply, learn and improve.
Ruth
Jun 24, 2008 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the illustrations and the story. A great lesson for kids--that we learn things little by little and that we should keep trying. The little otter is a cute main character. (Aaron would like this story)
Laura Komos
May 24, 2012 Laura Komos rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
While it was a little predictable, it was a charming story about a little otter who is learning to swim. I was able to tie it in to a lesson on choosing good fit books, which worked really well.
Andrea Wilkinson
Oct 01, 2012 Andrea Wilkinson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
This is a great book about being patient and not giving up when trying something new! Little Otter's mom and family are supportive of Little Otter as he s-l-o-w-l-y learns how to swim.
Andi Winterfield
Oct 14, 2012 Andi Winterfield rated it it was amazing
This is one of the cutest books I've ever seen! I love the sweet story & the adorable illustrations. My kids are in love with this book! Looking forward to reading more from Amber Stewart.
Christina
Jul 28, 2013 Christina rated it liked it
I loved the message of patience in this book.. great for children who are trying to grow up too fast or accomplish too much without going little by little.
Nilgun
Dec 28, 2013 Nilgun rated it really liked it
Shelves: nilsu
Such a fine drawing and cut story...
Lars Bernhard
Lars Bernhard marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Devon
Devon rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2016
Asma Usman
Asma Usman rated it did not like it
May 31, 2016
Khaled
Khaled marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016