Start by marking “My Dead Girlfriend: Volume 1 "A Tryst of Fate"” as Want to Read:
My Dead Girlfriend: Volume 1 "A Tryst of Fate"

My Dead Girlfriend: Volume 1 "A Tryst of Fate"

When Finney falls in love with a girl who also happens to be a ghost, he decides to stop at nothing to win her heart, even if that means his own death. This book is a playful reflection on the tribulations of adolescence set in a place where the inhabitants are scarier than the horrors of school, dating, and puberty.
Published April 1st 2007 by TokyoPop (first published February 13th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about My Dead Girlfriend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Dead Girlfriend

Brad
Jun 27, 2011 Brad rated it liked it
I discovered Eric Wight when I stumbled upon his Frankie Pickle books and bought them for my son. I fell in love with his art and humour straight away and started looking for his other work, which led me to My Dead Girlfriend.

There is only one way to describe this book: cute.

I like cute. In this case cute contains funny and smart and cool and true.

Mostly it's humour comes from the smarty-pants of Phineas Bleak, a little boy whose family -- apart from his triplet sisters named April, May and Ju
Sara
Cute story. This is about a high school kid in a school populated with vampires, monsters, mummies, witches - you get the picture. Normal teenage stuff and then some. Finney (the main character) ends ups with a girlfriend who is - obviously - dead.

I may or may not read the next volume but this was definitely a fast read.

********
And - just realized there is no second volume. I wondered as much when I saw it was Tokyopop 2007.
Miloš & Brontë
Pa: It's been a while since you finished, and we've been bad. Do you even remember My Dead Girlfriend?

Miloš: Yeah.

Pa: So?

Miloš: If I can remember stuff from years ago, I can remember stuff from two weeks ago.

Pa: Fair enough. What do you want to say about it?

Miloš: I ... uh ... it was really cool. I liked how it was scary. I liked how his girlfriend was a ghost, and most of the people he knew were ghosts.

Pa: What about his family?

Miloš: I liked them. They were cool. All the Bleaks, and stuff.

P
Stacy Fetters
Jul 27, 2014 Stacy Fetters rated it liked it
I can't say that I fell in love with this book. A gothic romance between Finney and a ghost named Jenny.
Finney is a teenager that doesn't fit in anywhere at school. He is quiet and doesn't fit into any of the cliques.
Three months ago a carnival comes to town and his entire family goes. He isn't very excited about this. Everyone goes off on there own to explore. Thats when he meets Jenny. They explore and have the greatest time. Its like love at first sight. They make plans to meet each other th
Cassie
Jul 06, 2010 Cassie rated it really liked it
From Anna, age 10: I gave this book 4 stars because I've never read a book that gets 5. Read this book if you like gothic romance, but are still young. I like this book because it has like everything I love in it - like dead people and love and stuff.
Lil' Violet
Sep 05, 2011 Lil' Violet rated it it was amazing
My dead girlfriend

Art: despite being from tokyopop this is not a manga or in manga style the art work is blocky like a mix between Invader zim and danny phantom very cartoony and blocking and thick lined but even so it's clean and unique in comics it has enough cartoony style that it's easy on the eyes. Like a manga this comic is in black and white which just adds to the gothic, grim look of it. A+

Characters: Finney, jenny, and a cast of characters that would turn monster high on it's head. Finn
Rhea
Aug 11, 2008 Rhea rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
My Dead Girlfriend is quite imaginative and entertaining. Why did I pick it up? The cover has a Joss Whedon quote, “. . . A Delight”. How I am supposed to refuse a testimony from Firefly’s creative genius?

So, I took it home for a spin.

Finney is the youngest member in the long and unfortunate Bleak bloodline, and has few pressures that weigh more heavily upon him than his impending, and most likely, cataclysmic death.

The Bleak family is notorious for its members meeting their demise: Margaret Ble
Georgette
Jan 08, 2009 Georgette rated it really liked it
In a world of horrors, Finney Bleak is the normal kid in a school, where his classmate are literally monsters and witches. Since normal is the new weird, he gets picked on by his classmates. He comes from a family whose greatest claim to fame is the manner all of them died - unnaturally and preposterously. As one of the few Bleaks who are not ghosts yet, Finney knew it was a matter of time before he joins them. [return][return]During a family trip to the travelling carnival, he meets Jenny. She ...more
Nick
May 13, 2008 Nick rated it really liked it
Overall Rating: B+
Synopsis: A series by Eric Wight, which follows Phineas "Finney" Bleak, whose family has an interesting legacy. They all die in extremely odd ways. At the beginning of the story, Finny is recovering from a recent breakup and weighing the pros and cons of breathing. His parents are ghosts, and his pet is a gargoyle named Mookie. He attends Mephisto Prep, a school for monsters. His life may not be normal, but his problems are definitely typical of a middle schooler. During the fi
Sara Thompson
Sep 27, 2011 Sara Thompson rated it it was amazing
I picked this graphic novel from the new book selection at the library. I am so glad I did. This is a light, funny story that touches on real teen angst.
Finney Bleak comes from a long line of cursed individuals. His entire family has been fated to die in weird and horrific ways (some so funny I had to stop and breath after reading them). He just knows his time is coming.
Finney doesn't live in the same world as we do. His classmates include witches, werewolves, vampires and other assorted creatur
Kate  K. F.
Dec 17, 2012 Kate K. F. rated it liked it
A darkly cute collection of a comic series that follows Finney Bleak who's the most normal kid at a school full of monsters. The art style resembles some of the newly made cartoons from Cartoon Network and Nickolodeon with a mix of humor and knowing humor that would be recognizable to someone who enjoys Foster's Home for Imaginary Creatures. Though the presentation of the comics in a manga format from TokyoPop sends a slightly confusing message in terms of who would enjoy reading it because the ...more
Rosa
Finn Bleak comes from a family whose tradition is to die in exotic and crazy fashion. He is the only normal kid at school (although some day he will be a ghost). All the other kids at school are different kinds of monsters and Finn gets given lots of grief for being so normal.

This manga very much reminds me of the monster high books. Very funny take on what it means to be normal and popular. This volume was all set up, introducing Finn, his future girlfriend, what Finn's family and school life a
Andy
Feb 20, 2009 Andy rated it liked it
Shelves: kidstuff, comix-novel
This book wants so bad to be picked up as a Cartoon Network series it would kill for the honors. Artwise Eric Wight is very entertaining - his little gargoyle dog Mookie is very adorable. I thought the story was weak and the dialogue was bad Pixar-hipster smarm that made my stomach roll along with my eyes. Wight also draws his two main characters as if they were 5 years old. I had to keep reminding myself they were supposed to be high schoolers. Buy it for clip art and don't even read the stupid ...more
Mar 04, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
Finney Bleak has a fascinating history--his ancestors have died in funny and tragic ways and now they are all ghosts. He's surrounded by freaks and monsters at Mephisto Prep, but Finney is awfully plain. But then he meets Jenny who is everything he ever wanted in a friend and girlfriend. When she doesn't meet him for a second date, he's devastated. Told in seven chapters, Finney's story is interesting and funny and the artwork is bold and thick-lined. Josh Whedon and Meg Cabot wrote blurbs for t ...more
Redfox5
Jul 24, 2014 Redfox5 rated it really liked it
I didn't enjoy this book as much the second time round. It's still good and the illustrations are lovely just didn't get the same joy as when I first read it. Maybe it's because I know there is no second one and the story just ends with this volume, which is rubbish! I want to know what happens! The extra drawings in the back are a nice bonus. Overall a nice quick read but don't get to attached as it doesn't seem like there is going to be anymore :(
Erin O'Riordan
Jul 23, 2011 Erin O'Riordan rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
A very quick read, this young adult fantasy is highlighted by spooky-beautiful Gothic art. Finney Bleak comes from a long line of Bleaks who've died in bizarre ways. He's comfortable with the concept of death, since he regularly sees ghosts. Oddly enough, he's still the most normal kid at his high school, with its cliques of monsters, witches and aliens. The only thing that's missing is a girlfriend. He met the perfect girl at the fair, but then she stood him up. Or did she?
Breana
Apr 11, 2009 Breana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comedy
This was a funny story of a living boy of the name Finny Bleak, who was in a world of horror. His family were all ghost, his classmates were monsters, and he was living. He was also at the bottom of the food chain until Jenny came along. But there was one problem, she was dead and a ghost. Just how far will Finny go to be with his true love? Find out!
Peter
Jun 10, 2007 Peter rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of graphic novels, teens.
A very cute graphic novel set in a high school full of witches and ghosts etc. A boy falls in love with a girl, who then dies but, luckily, in this world the dead and living live side-by-side so they continue their relationship. Very fun!
Li
Mar 02, 2015 Li rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So fun!
It's like Monster High in comic book form.

Finney is a cutely creepy character. I really enjoyed reading his story.
I felt a little disappointed at the end of the book because I wanted more.

Loved the artwork!

Please make #2!!
Stephen
Nov 13, 2013 Stephen rated it it was ok
I didn't really think this was good for kids and I didn't really dig it myself. There was silliness like a Frankenstein bully, but there was also a dead girl. I may be too protective, but my kid only has one childhood. It went to the library as a donation.
Dan
Jun 26, 2007 Dan rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people into cutesy goth crap, people who need to not think for 30 minutes
This book was ok, not good.

It is cutesy goth drivel. That said, I think that is an under appreciated genre.

The art is nothing to write home about. The story was hackneyed. However, it was mindlessly entertaining. I'll probably buy the next issue when it comes out.
Amanda
Dec 15, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, gettin-graphic, 2011
Just had a Plain Janes moment. Wright only wrote one in what was surely a planned series and I'm so mad because it's great. Super fun, hilarious and great art. Yes, I know he's had sucess with Frankie Pickle series but this makes me wish so hard there were more.
quinnster
Jan 13, 2011 quinnster rated it it was amazing
I love, love, love, LOVED it! My kind of story! I love the artwork. I'm not a huge fan of the anime style, though I still like it, but I like this much more. Love the story, love the characters, love the art...fabulous! I will be buying this!
Trevor
Oct 31, 2007 Trevor rated it liked it
Shelves: comix
This is a cute book...in a "monsters are adorable" kind of way! Young Finney's ancestors have all met horribly bizarre deaths, and Fin obsesses about his own demise. My Dead Girlfriend features monster cliques in Fin's monster high, familial ghosts with "spirit", and a story of unrequited love.
Kristen
Apr 23, 2008 Kristen rated it it was amazing
A very weird paranormal graphic novel about a boy whose family history will involve him to have an interesting death. His girlfriend is already a ghost and he goes to a high school with vamps, undead, and other crazy creatures. Cute, but weird too.
esterb
Nov 22, 2015 esterb added it
Shelves: read-2008
Very entertaining and humorous book. The animation is great. So for a (very) quick read in between your choice of serious literature I can recommend this one. ...more
Kadyveach
Oct 20, 2016 Kadyveach rated it liked it
I read My Dead Girlfriend and it was okay. It was confusing and it got lost in someplaces. I didn't ever know what it was talking about.
Lance Falk
Aug 15, 2009 Lance Falk rated it it was amazing
Very Charming Young Reader's Graphic Novel. Beautfully Illustarted and Cleverly Written. I hope there are more down the road.
Kathy
Jun 22, 2008 Kathy rated it it was ok
There were fun bits but overall it fell a little flat. It may be because it's only the 1st part of the story. I enjoyed reading it, but I don't feel the need to continue the series.

Patricia
Dec 19, 2008 Patricia rated it really liked it
I dug it. I'll continue reading. Is it deep and meaningful? Nah. Is it entertaining and fun? Indeed.
  • Mark of the Succubus, vol. 1 (Mark of the Succubus, #1)
  • I Luv Halloween, Volume 1
  • Agnes Quill: An Anthology of Mystery
  • The Cain Saga, Volume 03
  • Legends of the Dark Crystal, Vol. 1: The Garthim Wars
  • Vampire Doll: Guilt-na-Zan, Vol. 1 (Vampire Doll: Guilt-Na-Zan, #1)
  • Into The Volcano
  • Broken Curses (GloomCookie, #3)
  • Sabrina the Teenage Witch: The Magic Within 1
  • Zombie Felties: How to Raise 16 Gruesome Felt Creatures from the Undead
  • Pinky & Stinky
  • Ways to See a Ghost (Ways To See A Ghost #1)
  • Mail (Volume 1)
  • The Dreaming, Vol. 2
  • Bizenghast, Volume 2 (Bizenghast, #2)
  • Something at the Window Is Scratching: Children's Tales for Disturbed Children
  • Dinosaurs
  • Snow Drop, Volume 1
Eric Wight is the author and illustrator of FRANKIE PICKLE, a new chapter book series published by Simon & Schuster. Prior to that, he was an animator for almost ten years for such companies as Walt Disney, Warner Bros., and Cartoon Network. Wight's comic book adaptation of the AMAZING ADVENTURES OF KAVALIER AND CLAY helped garner both the Harvey and Eisner Awards for Best Anthology, as well a ...more
More about Eric Wight...