My Wicked, Wicked Ways

My Wicked, Wicked Ways

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  763 ratings  ·  45 reviews
A collection of poetry attests to the author's original passion and reveals her talent for employing the precision and musicality of language in verses both comic and sad.
Published November 17th 1992 by Knopf Publishing Group (first published November 1st 1987)

David Sumner
This is the book and the poet responsible for me becoming totally hooked on poetry. I think it had a lot to do with the familiarity of the subject of the poems, growing up in working class Latino neighborhoods, the culture and just surviving the ever present cruelty of childhood.

Beautiful free verse that stimulates every sense. Even now as I write this I can smell the fresh tortillas, hear the music and the shrieks of the kids as they kick a ball up and down the street. I wish I was out there w...more
Colleen
Although I keep trying from time to time, I'm not much of a fan of written poetry. I need to hear/see it performed to really appreciate it. That's probably true of the poems in this book as well--I'm sure I'd like them more if I saw Cisneros reading them. But the lack of voice didn't deter from their overall impact, and I thoroughly enjoy reading these poems. Perhaps because her voice is actually quite clear throughout.
Maythee
May 14, 2007 Maythee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: wild sexy women
I feel like this is the book where you get the closest to catching an honest glimpse into who Cisneros is and what she's about. Her poetry also makes you hunger to be free - emotionally and physically. In particular, her poems about Greece (where she spent a year writing) awaken a deep urge in me and remind me to live for something more than a paycheck.
Beautifully written and unbelievably sad in some parts, I found it helpful to read these poems out loud. There are some amazing passages though and her writing makes you feel feminine and powerful.
Betty
Searingly simple, pulls you in immediately.
Jen
Dec 23, 2011 Jen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
At first, I thought I'd found another disappointing book, but this book has two parts and two voices. The first is choppy:

That baby in a box like a valentine
and I thinking it is wrong
us in our raw red ankles
From "Velorio"

And then beginning with the section "Other Countries," we are confronted with a smoother, more confident voice that remains throughout the rest of the collection:

Odd for such a city poet like me
to find such comfort in the dark--
I who always feared it--and yet
I loved the way it w...more
Ryan Holiday
What fascinates me about this generation of Hollywood is not how similar it is to what we know now, but how widely different the world was. To put it in contrast with the books I've previously spoken about here, at the height of Flynn's career, Alvin Karpis was locked away in Alcatraz, still an international celebrity for robbing banks with John Dillinger and Bonnie and Clyde, and not long before, William Seabrook had eaten human flesh in Africa and committed himself to a mental asylum because t...more
Jeffrey
The peral of the oyster that is Sandra Cisneros. I have read The House on Mango Street and Woman Hollering Creek and loved both of them but I must say when I read this the others paled in comparison. I see now where she was a poet before she wrote stories and novels. I also agree that getting into the second half of the book, somewhere in Other Countries, is when this collection of poetry gets extremely bare-breast honest and unapologetic. I don't agree that "over-similar" is a critique in this...more
Chrissy
"Mariela"
One day you forget his bitter smell
and one day you forget your shame.
You remember how your small cry
rose like a blackbird from the corn,
when you picked yourself up from the earth
how the clouds moved on.

"A woman cutting celery"
A thin blond vein
rises from the corner of her jaw
like a crack in a porcelain plate.

A car door slams.
But he does not come home.
This is how the story begins.

"Beatrice"
Kiss me.
I am an odd geometry
of elbows and skin,
a lopsided symmetry of sin
and virtue. And you.

I can f...more
Gabriel Oak
I just read this for the third or fourth time, and I think it rewards multiple readings. Although better known for her novels and stories, esp. The House on Mango Street, Cisneros actually trained as a poet at the Iowa Writers Workshop, and that training shows in this collection. Cisneros especially has a gift for subtle rhyme (end and internal, slant and perfect) and metrical creativity. Something like Sylvia Plath crossed with Pablo Neruda, two poets who happen to be very evidently influential...more
Edith
This collection of poetry I found to be much more inspired than her other collection, Loose Woman.
It's truly the voice you expect from Cisneros.
Lucy
Beautiful Man--France
I saw a beautiful man today
at the café.
Very beautiful.
But I can't see
without my glasses.

So I ask the woman next to me.
Yup, she says, he's beautiful.
But I don't believe her
and go to see for myself.

She's right.
He is.

Do you speak English?
I say to the beautiful man.
A little, the beautiful man says to me.
You are beautiful, I say.
No two ways about it.
He says beautifully, Merci.
Evie
Cisneros as a gift for language that's ripe and luscious, yet I was a little disappointed in this collection of poetry. I guess, after reading Loose Woman (published 4 years before this), I was expecting the same ballsy-ness throughout the whole collection. This seemed much more reflective, which, I guess, really wasn't what I was looking for at that moment. Still, there are some lovely pieces. It's still a keeper.
D
Jun 10, 2014 D rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
i tend to find poetry alienating and too often obscure and pretentious. but the house on mango street and woman hollering creek have built up such a trust for me in the author that i just flew through her poetry collection and delighted in it. cisneros has command of a pathos and lyricism and HUMOR that just flows from her pen. she's the real, contemporary deal, folks.
Alexi Lawless
Sandra Cisneros ROCKS my face off. As a poet, I can think of very few who truly capture all the phases of a love affair so beautifully, and yet still manage to keep it incredibly raw. She's the World Class Sushi of Contemporary Poetry. Jiro Dreams of Sandra... he just doesn't realize it yet.
Jessica
I learned how to read poetry with this book--only because it related to me.....eventually art imitated life....I struggled with it...and one day it all made sense...

when I heard Sandra speak her mousey voice turned me off.....:)
Patty
Wonderful poetry written just as I imagined Cisneros would write poetry.: Concise, thoughtful, descriptive, simple but so full. It is poetry that I can relate to. I must buy myself a copy to taste and savor in small bites.
Shawn
Oh I sent my father the poem that preface the book when I was 25 after a bad argument...he was thoroghly confused. And from that moment on I knew she would be my favorite author of all time!
Denisse
I'm not a big poetry person but I like some of her othr poems so I decided to read this collection. My 2 favorite poems in this collection were "One Last Poem for Richard" and "Drought".
Leilani
the entire time, i kept thinking about miranda july ... and the cover of her movie just kept floating around in my head ... and then there were feet in flats talking to each other ... gah!
Moksha
This is another book that I read and reread. Sandra Cisneros is a mexican american writer and being that I grew up with Spanish relatives I find this book incredibly revealing.
Rachel
Read Loose Woman instead. That collection is mind-blowingly good. Compared to that, this collection reads like juvenilia, like she hadn't yet found herself as a poet.
Juventina
Each poem in this collection sang to me. A new favorite, and above all, a welcomed and reassuring constant on my shelf as I face my own "hobbled when."
JD
My first experience with Cisneros' poetry. I liked the latter half more than the first, as the voice was a little clearer. A beautiful collection.
Rae
A wonderful collection of poetry. I especially enjoyed "December 24th, Paris-Notre Dame" and her line "the wrists so full of living."
Debs
Mar 13, 2010 Debs rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
Favorites: "Ladies, South of France - Vence", "Beautiful Man - France", "Hydra Coming Down in the Rain" & "A woman cutting celery."
Lupe Guerra
I read her books when I was in high school & she opened my mind to another realm. I grew-up after her books.
Rebekah
i have read this book dozens of times-- she is my absolute favorite poet.
Stacy Parrish
Aug 07, 2007 Stacy Parrish rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: women in love with Cisneros
Shelves: oldfavorites
I heart Sandra Cisneros...Poets like her only come around once in a while.
Amelia
May 13, 2010 Amelia added it
what can you say about sandra cisneros...
the woman is a bad ass!
  • The Woman I Kept to Myself
  • Massacre of the Dreamers: Essays on Xicanisma
  • Aloud: Voices from the Nuyorican Poets Cafe
  • The Black Unicorn: Poems
  • Zaatardiva
  • Edgar Allan Poe & The Juke-Box: Uncollected Poems, Drafts, and Fragments
  • Cool Salsa: Bilingual Poems on Growing Up Hispanic in the United States
  • In Mad Love and War (Wesleyan Poetry Series)
  • Vice: New and Selected Poems
  • Drink Cultura: Chicanismo
  • Absolute Trust in the Goodness of the Earth: New Poems
  • The Flash of Lightning Behind the Mountain: New Poems
  • A Place to Stand
Sandra Cisneros was born in Chicago in 1954. Internationally acclaimed for her poetry and fiction, she has been the recipient of numerous awards, including the Lannan Literary Award and the American Book Award, and of fellowships from the National Endowment for the Arts and the MacArthur Foundation. Cisneros is the author of two novels The House on Mango Street and Caramelo; a collection of short...more
More about Sandra Cisneros...
The House on Mango Street Caramelo Woman Hollering Creek and Other Stories Loose Woman Woman Hollering Creek & The House on Mango Street