Start by marking “My Wicked, Wicked Ways” as Want to Read:
My Wicked, Wicked Ways

My Wicked, Wicked Ways

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  970 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
A collection of poetry attests to the author's original passion and reveals her talent for employing the precision and musicality of language in verses both comic and sad.
Published November 17th 1992 by Knopf Publishing Group (first published November 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about My Wicked, Wicked Ways, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Wicked, Wicked Ways

The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick RiordanThe Lost Hero by Rick RiordanThe Sea of Monsters by Rick RiordanThe Titan's Curse by Rick RiordanThe Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
San Antonio Authors
70th out of 145 books — 12 voters
Making Her His by Lucy LerouxThe Man Behind the Mask by Christine RimmerMiss Henderson's Secret by June CalvinMating Habits of the Domesticated North American Werewolf by lielabellMy Cup of Tea by Kat Lieu
Romance Novels Begining with the Letter M
50th out of 116 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

David Sumner
Aug 05, 2012 David Sumner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This is the book and the poet responsible for me becoming totally hooked on poetry. I think it had a lot to do with the familiarity of the subject of the poems, growing up in working class Latino neighborhoods, the culture and just surviving the ever present cruelty of childhood.

Beautiful free verse that stimulates every sense. Even now as I write this I can smell the fresh tortillas, hear the music and the shrieks of the kids as they kick a ball up and down the street. I wish I was out there w
Lucy
May 15, 2007 Lucy rated it liked it
Beautiful Man--France
I saw a beautiful man today
at the café.
Very beautiful.
But I can't see
without my glasses.

So I ask the woman next to me.
Yup, she says, he's beautiful.
But I don't believe her
and go to see for myself.

She's right.
He is.

Do you speak English?
I say to the beautiful man.
A little, the beautiful man says to me.
You are beautiful, I say.
No two ways about it.
He says beautifully, Merci.
Amy
Jul 09, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it
Loved most of the poems in here. Cisneros does some interesting things with internal rhymes and cadence--some of the poems have almost a nursery-rhyme rhythm to them, and it really works.
Colleen
Jun 06, 2007 Colleen rated it really liked it
Although I keep trying from time to time, I'm not much of a fan of written poetry. I need to hear/see it performed to really appreciate it. That's probably true of the poems in this book as well--I'm sure I'd like them more if I saw Cisneros reading them. But the lack of voice didn't deter from their overall impact, and I thoroughly enjoy reading these poems. Perhaps because her voice is actually quite clear throughout.
Maythee
May 14, 2007 Maythee rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: wild sexy women
I feel like this is the book where you get the closest to catching an honest glimpse into who Cisneros is and what she's about. Her poetry also makes you hunger to be free - emotionally and physically. In particular, her poems about Greece (where she spent a year writing) awaken a deep urge in me and remind me to live for something more than a paycheck.
Jun 16, 2010 Sarah rated it liked it
Beautifully written and unbelievably sad in some parts, I found it helpful to read these poems out loud. There are some amazing passages though and her writing makes you feel feminine and powerful.
Betty
Feb 11, 2010 Betty rated it really liked it
Searingly simple, pulls you in immediately.
Jen
Dec 23, 2011 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
At first, I thought I'd found another disappointing book, but this book has two parts and two voices. The first is choppy:

That baby in a box like a valentine
and I thinking it is wrong
us in our raw red ankles
From "Velorio"

And then beginning with the section "Other Countries," we are confronted with a smoother, more confident voice that remains throughout the rest of the collection:

Odd for such a city poet like me
to find such comfort in the dark--
I who always feared it--and yet
I loved the way it w
Ryan Holiday
Jun 22, 2012 Ryan Holiday rated it really liked it
What fascinates me about this generation of Hollywood is not how similar it is to what we know now, but how widely different the world was. To put it in contrast with the books I've previously spoken about here, at the height of Flynn's career, Alvin Karpis was locked away in Alcatraz, still an international celebrity for robbing banks with John Dillinger and Bonnie and Clyde, and not long before, William Seabrook had eaten human flesh in Africa and committed himself to a mental asylum because t ...more
Jeffrey
The peral of the oyster that is Sandra Cisneros. I have read The House on Mango Street and Woman Hollering Creek and loved both of them but I must say when I read this the others paled in comparison. I see now where she was a poet before she wrote stories and novels. I also agree that getting into the second half of the book, somewhere in Other Countries, is when this collection of poetry gets extremely bare-breast honest and unapologetic. I don't agree that "over-similar" is a critique in this ...more
Chrissy
Apr 21, 2013 Chrissy rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
"Mariela"
One day you forget his bitter smell
and one day you forget your shame.
You remember how your small cry
rose like a blackbird from the corn,
when you picked yourself up from the earth
how the clouds moved on.

"A woman cutting celery"
A thin blond vein
rises from the corner of her jaw
like a crack in a porcelain plate.

A car door slams.
But he does not come home.
This is how the story begins.

"Beatrice"
Kiss me.
I am an odd geometry
of elbows and skin,
a lopsided symmetry of sin
and virtue. And you.

I can f
Gabriel Oak
Jun 02, 2014 Gabriel Oak rated it really liked it
I just read this for the third or fourth time, and I think it rewards multiple readings. Although better known for her novels and stories, esp. The House on Mango Street, Cisneros actually trained as a poet at the Iowa Writers Workshop, and that training shows in this collection. Cisneros especially has a gift for subtle rhyme (end and internal, slant and perfect) and metrical creativity. Something like Sylvia Plath crossed with Pablo Neruda, two poets who happen to be very evidently influential ...more
Kendra Danielle
Aug 28, 2015 Kendra Danielle rated it it was amazing
I've read these poems in this collection of hers many many times. I am not a lover of poetry but I'll read any material Sandra Cisneros puts out. "One Last Poem for Richard" .... Just read this
Kyle Childers
Nov 27, 2015 Kyle Childers rated it it was amazing
I think this is a good introduction to her work. You get a sense of her syntax and the way she writes, The Rodrigo poems show her range of emotions!
Edith
Jul 16, 2014 Edith rated it it was amazing
This collection of poetry I found to be much more inspired than her other collection, Loose Woman.
It's truly the voice you expect from Cisneros.
Olivia Garcia
Aug 19, 2015 Olivia Garcia rated it it was amazing
This book of poems is a spiritual experience, and I consider myself blessed
Linda
Quick narrative poems.
Marypoppins05
Evie
Nov 26, 2007 Evie rated it liked it
Cisneros as a gift for language that's ripe and luscious, yet I was a little disappointed in this collection of poetry. I guess, after reading Loose Woman (published 4 years before this), I was expecting the same ballsy-ness throughout the whole collection. This seemed much more reflective, which, I guess, really wasn't what I was looking for at that moment. Still, there are some lovely pieces. It's still a keeper.
D
Jun 10, 2014 D rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
i tend to find poetry alienating and too often obscure and pretentious. but the house on mango street and woman hollering creek have built up such a trust for me in the author that i just flew through her poetry collection and delighted in it. cisneros has command of a pathos and lyricism and HUMOR that just flows from her pen. she's the real, contemporary deal, folks.
Alexi Lawless
May 14, 2014 Alexi Lawless rated it it was amazing
Shelves: all-time-favs
Sandra Cisneros ROCKS my face off. As a poet, I can think of very few who truly capture all the phases of a love affair so beautifully, and yet still manage to keep it incredibly raw. She's the World Class Sushi of Contemporary Poetry. Jiro Dreams of Sandra... he just doesn't realize it yet.
Jessica
Nov 28, 2007 Jessica rated it it was amazing
I learned how to read poetry with this book--only because it related to me.....eventually art imitated life....I struggled with it...and one day it all made sense...

when I heard Sandra speak her mousey voice turned me off.....:)
Patty
Jun 20, 2011 Patty rated it really liked it
Wonderful poetry written just as I imagined Cisneros would write poetry.: Concise, thoughtful, descriptive, simple but so full. It is poetry that I can relate to. I must buy myself a copy to taste and savor in small bites.
Katlyn
Nov 14, 2014 Katlyn rated it liked it
I liked the mish-mash of language she used in the book. There were moments that most definitely struck me, and the vividness of imagery was a strong point, but ultimately the book was unmemorable for me.
Shawn
Apr 25, 2010 Shawn rated it it was amazing
Oh I sent my father the poem that preface the book when I was 25 after a bad argument...he was thoroghly confused. And from that moment on I knew she would be my favorite author of all time!
Theresa Malloy
Mar 16, 2016 Theresa Malloy rated it really liked it
A delightful anthology of poems. Several spoke directly to me as a young writer in transition. Her writing is witty and honest. My favorite was "Peaches." I also got a kick out of "Ass."
Denisse
May 01, 2008 Denisse rated it liked it
I'm not a big poetry person but I like some of her othr poems so I decided to read this collection. My 2 favorite poems in this collection were "One Last Poem for Richard" and "Drought".
Leilani
May 28, 2008 Leilani rated it liked it
the entire time, i kept thinking about miranda july ... and the cover of her movie just kept floating around in my head ... and then there were feet in flats talking to each other ... gah!
Moksha
Nov 06, 2008 Moksha rated it it was amazing
This is another book that I read and reread. Sandra Cisneros is a mexican american writer and being that I grew up with Spanish relatives I find this book incredibly revealing.
  • Black Mesa Poems
  • At the Drive-In Volcano
  • Chicana Falsa
  • Drink Cultura: Chicanismo
  • Vice: New and Selected Poems
Sandra Cisneros was born in Chicago in 1954. Internationally acclaimed for her poetry and fiction, she has been the recipient of numerous awards, including the Lannan Literary Award and the American Book Award, and of fellowships from the National Endowment for the Arts and the MacArthur Foundation. Cisneros is the author of two novels The House on Mango Street and Caramelo; a collection of short ...more
More about Sandra Cisneros...