Start by marking “Set Your Voice Free: How To Get The Singing Or Speaking Voice You Want” as Want to Read:
Set Your Voice Free: How To Get The Singing Or Speaking Voice You Want

Set Your Voice Free: How To Get The Singing Or Speaking Voice You Want

With innovative techniques and enjoyable exercises that have worked wonders with his professional clients, the internationally acclaimed vocal coach demonstrates how to carry a tune, expand vocal range, and speak with ease, confidence, and effectiveness. Illustrations.
Published August 15th 2003 by Little, Brown and Company (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Set Your Voice Free, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Set Your Voice Free

Heidi The Hippie Librarian
Set Your Voice Free was page after page of life changing revelations to me. I picked this book up because I was trying to address a specific problem. When I speak in front of groups, nerves take over and I subconsciously close my throat, cutting off my air, making my voice weak, and losing my message in my process. I didn't know that was what I was doing until I read this book. I just thought that my voice changed, but I didn't know how or why. Roger has changed all that for me and I'm so excite ...more
Pete
Feb 03, 2015 Pete rated it really liked it
I was looking up something in this book I've had for over 10 years, and re-read the entire book.

This one for me was inspiring and taught me tricks to power up my voice and add an ocatave. Key instruction in this practice practice practice and try for more control.

I loved this book, again.
Christopher Lawson
You Need Access To Every Part Of Your Voice

I am familiar with the authors, and especially Roger's prior works on vocal training. I liked his prior works, so, I was curious to learn his latest tricks of the trade. In SET YOUR VOICE FREE, Roger Love emphasizes the importance of MIDDLE voice: "This incredible, little-recognized part of the voice, which I specialize in helping people strengthen, is responsible for bringing a new kind of power and ease to both speaking and singing."

To help the vocal
Andrea
Jul 25, 2012 Andrea rated it liked it
I haven't read it all yet. One of those books I dip into when I have a quiet moment alone but so far I've found it very effective. I'm already feeling more confident about my warbling.
Rachel
Mar 18, 2017 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roger Love has created a guide for singers and speakers alike to assess and adjust the sound of their voices, with techniques for breathing, posture, and vocal exercises aimed at improving the quality and tone of the sound of your voice. The book references online examples and instructions to follow along with, which is helpful when you are able to access them. I received a copy of this book in a Goodreads Giveaway in exchange for a review.
Russ
Mar 11, 2017 Russ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: public-speaking
Very solid advice.
Meghan
This book contains lots of great advice for singers, but the advice is easily found everywhere on the internet, so this book is kind of unnecessary.
Tom Donaghey
Mar 19, 2017 Tom Donaghey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: how-to, music
SET YOUR VOICE FREE by Roger Love is a self help book that really works. I was very skeptical at first, after all, how could a book teach me to use my voice better? But after reading through the book, coming back and doing the exercises, following all the recommendations and using his web site along with my own recorder, I was amazed at the results.
I recommend this book to anyone who can't actually have Mr. Love work with them in person. I know my church choir thanks him immensely for sanding
Russell
Sep 07, 2008 Russell rated it liked it
The part on breathing is excellent (that's why my teacher recommended it): breathing and singing must be effortless! I learned one other important tip: drinking lots of water is very important for the voice. Also, switching between singing and speaking improves both singing and speaking. Otherwise, a lot of the exercises I'd seen before.
Nate Robertson
Oct 19, 2016 Nate Robertson rated it it was ok
Lie down on the floor, put your hands on your diaphragm. Now breathe in and out slowly and find your middle voice. Just do it. Find it.

And while you're doing that, ask yourself why you bought this book instead of going on youtube.
Bryan Smith
Jan 06, 2013 Bryan Smith rated it really liked it
I may still sound terrible, but I am one of the loudest people you will ever meet. Blame this book if you wish. For the experienced: Good breathing techniques and exercises, a few old wive's tales about mucous, and a lot of old standards.
Hedda
Hedda rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2015
Ellisif Bendiksen
Ellisif Bendiksen rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2017
Christopher Eastwood
Christopher Eastwood rated it it was ok
Jan 20, 2014
Jin Ny
Jin Ny rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2015
Marzhan
Marzhan rated it really liked it
May 12, 2013
Calico Jack
Calico Jack rated it did not like it
Jan 03, 2013
Theresa
Theresa rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2011
Cathy Sprankle
Cathy Sprankle rated it really liked it
May 25, 2015
Jera
Jera rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2015
Nate Hewitt
Nate Hewitt rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2015
Kier Home
Kier Home rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2015
Pete
Pete rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2012
Raffaele
Raffaele rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2012
Katrina Mcghee
Katrina Mcghee rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2017
Mark Bergstrom
Mark Bergstrom rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2015
Prince Wachiraphong
Prince Wachiraphong rated it it was ok
Aug 07, 2012
Brenda Smith
Brenda Smith rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2017
Joe
Joe rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2012
Benjitzu
Benjitzu rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Harvard Business Review on Effective Communication
  • I Can See You Naked
  • Deep Conversion/Deep Prayer
  • The Catholic Guide to Depression: How the Saints, the Sacraments, and Psychiatry Can Help You Break Its Grip and Find Happiness Again
  • The Temperament God Gave You: The Classic Key to Knowing Yourself, Getting Along with Others, and Growing Closer to the Lord
  • Unbound: A Practical Guide to Deliverance from Evil Spirits
  • Freeing the Natural Voice
  • The Owner's Manual for the Brain: Everyday Applications from Mind-Brain Research
  • The Actor Speaks: Voice and the Performer
  • The Origins of American Politics
  • Almost Christian: What the Faith of Our Teenagers Is Telling the American Church
  • Invitation to Psychology
  • First Impressions: What You Don't Know About How Others See You
  • Lies, Damned Lies, and Science: How to Sort through the Noise Around Global Warming, the Latest Health Claims, and Other Scientific Controversies
  • Stand and Deliver: How to Become a Masterful Communicator and Public Speaker
  • Dictionary of Slang
  • 7 Day Focusing Plan
  • 33 Days to Merciful Love: A Do-It-Yourself Retreat in Preparation for Divine Mercy Consecration
Roger Love is recognized as one of the world’s leading authorities on voice. No other vocal coach in history has been more commercially successful in both the speaking and singing fields. He has vocally produced more than 100 million CD sales worldwide, written 3 top selling books, Set Your Voice Free, Sing Like the Stars, and Love Your Voice, created the bestselling audio programs Vocal Power…Spe ...more
More about Roger Love...