Start by marking “A Treasury of the Familiar” as Want to Read:
A Treasury of the Familiar

A Treasury of the Familiar

4.61 of 5 stars 4.61  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Book by Ralph L. Woods
Published June 1st 1991 by Baker Books, a division of Baker Publishing Group (first published 1942)

To ask other readers questions about A Treasury of the Familiar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Treasury of the Familiar

Grey Gheist
It was August of 1991 I was at a friend's house. The place was bedlam; full of people. It was the middle of the day. The sun was bright. I was twenty-one and full of energy; used to being full of movement; going, going, gone. I believe it was setting on the table, or maybe I picked it out of the shelf, I can't remember.

A 1955 version of "A Treasury of the Familiar". I had never read poetry. Never thought I would. I opened the book to page 174....

and the question was there before me, plain as th...more
James
When I turned fourteen I really wanted a microscope for my birthday. My stepfather gave me this book instead, and at the time I was appalled. It seemed only one step up from getting socks and underwear, and the disappointment was bitter. He just said he hoped that I'd get to like it over time.

Well, later on I got my microscope, but that disappeared long ago and I have no idea what happened to it, and I still have this book. It's a gloriously disorganized mass of essays, poetry, song lyrics, grea...more
Neil Clark
IF I COULD ONLY HAVE ONE BOOK TO READ, THIS IS IT!

I AM ON MY FORTH COPY OF IT AS THE OTHER THREE I LENT OUT WERE NEVER RETURHED. NEEDLESS TO SAY, I NO LONGER LEND IT TO ANYONE.

THERE IS NO DATE YOU FINISH READING IT AS THOSE WHO LOVE READING WILL BE GOING BACK TO IT TIME AND TIME AGAIN!
Crissy
When moved back to Utah after my time at the University of Arizona I would spend every Wednesday afternoon at my Great-Grandmothers house reading poetry over a lunch of soup and sandwiches (and the occassional eclair from the bakery at Dicks grocery). The books we enjoyed reading out of most were the two anthologies edited by Ralph L Woods. My great Grandmothers copies were worn and well-loved, and I was able to purchase my own set on Amazon.com. What makes these books such treasures is that the...more
Data
If there's a line you remember from way back, or heard someone quote, it's probably here, in context. This is an awesome (and I mean inspiring awe) collection of poetry, prose, verse and lyrics.

Favorite Poem - "The Cremation of Sam McGee"

Favorite Excerpt - "Labor" from Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress

Favorite Lyrics - "My Grandfather's Clock"
James Kingman
This book should be as exhaustive and authoritative as Bartletts or Nortons. It is fascinating and enjoyable, though not extremely user friendly. There should be a copy in every home; it should be read to children and treated as a textbook in classes.
Jaccalyn
A girl cannot have a good collection of books without a large volume of classic poems.
B.cres
B.cres marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Joey Kilmer
Joey Kilmer is currently reading it
Apr 09, 2014
Elisabeth G. Wolfe
Elisabeth G. Wolfe marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Rex
Rex marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2013
David Turner
David Turner marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2013
Therese
Therese marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2013
Lana
Lana marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2013
Roberto Rimorin
Roberto Rimorin marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2013
Lars
Lars is currently reading it
Jul 25, 2013
David Baker
David Baker marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2013
Blythe
Blythe marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2013
Shari Allen
Shari Allen marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
A Second Treasury of the Familiar How to Torture Your Mind Golden Treasury of the Familiar The Glories of Nature Winter: In Eternal Words and Inspired Photographs (The Glories of Nature Series)