Start by marking “Shinobi Life, Vol. 01” as Want to Read:
Shinobi Life, Vol. 01

Shinobi Life, Vol. 01 (Shinobi Life #1)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  5,318 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Many, many years ago, a ninja named Kagetora devoted his life to protecting Princess Beni (Beni-Hime). Unfortunately, they were attacked and Kagetora was flung into a lake, where he sank to the bottom. He was somehow warped at the future where he saw the princess Beni being threatened.

Little does Kagetora know that Beni is not the real princess, but she is, in fact, the de
Published November 11th 2006 by Akita Shoten (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Shinobi Life, Vol. 01, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shinobi Life, Vol. 01

Maid-sama! Vol. 01 by Hiro FujiwaraFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraKimi ni Todoke by Karuho Shiina
Great Romance Manga Reads!
66th out of 330 books — 499 voters
Fruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri HinoSpecial A, Vol. 1 by Maki Minami
Favorite Shoujo Manga
151st out of 596 books — 1,359 voters

More lists with this book...

Starbubbles
This is tough for me to rate. I was expecting this to be funny. A girl bent on dying in a horribly embarassing way to get back at her dad. I was expecting some fluffy romantic comedy with ninjas. Boy, I was mistaken. While I enjoyed this, it reminds me of a cross of Immortal Rain, the Both Sides of Time series, and Wild Ones. Deception, desperation, love, misunderstanding, ill conceived plans, utter desperation! I think I would have enjoyed this more as a romantic comedy. I've read through volum ...more
Nɪɴᴀ {Words and Water}
21/03/2014 - 23/04/2014 ( read, not marking it down electronically yet because it totally defeats the purpose of my challenge!!!)

While I have tried to start this manga before, I am really really glad I read it all the way through this time. The other time, I stopped because I thought it was going to be an insta-love kind of manga, which at first it seemed like it was. But then, I got through the first volume, and then the second, where they time slipped back in time, and then, well I just went w
Nisha
Beni is a girl who has been kidnapped many times and is at a point in life when she doesn't care if she lives or dies. Just as she is being kidnapped, a ninja falls from the sky. Kagetora is from the past and is sworn to protect Beni-hime. After a fall into a lake, he is transported to the present and meets Beni. Beni looks the same as his Beni-hime and he protects her as his princess.

This is a cute read. Beni and Kagetora are both very clueless, yet competent (if that makes any sense). Beni do
Melisa Ramonda
Ohhhh!! Este manga, me había encantado en su momento ^^
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
This the story of a ninja who while protecting a princess falls into a lake and is sent back in time to the present. There he mistakes the princess with a look alike (also name Beni), who later turns out to be her...This is one of many manga series I started reading, mainly because I love the cover. I don't know, its cool and cute at the same time. Surprised it hasn't been turned into an anime...yet.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
Yes, please! Definitely liked the start to this series, and I have already ordered the next two volumes. This has some great potential.
Katie
Jun 25, 2015 Katie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
see full review @ Katie's Corner

There are so many mangas that I love and say that are my favourites. Okay, plainly said I love this manga, and well, I thought that I should cover it, or my mind wouldn’t stop nagging me about it.

Why I do love this story so much, that I’ve read it about 5 times? Well, it has my favourite themes: Shinobi (ninja) and time slips. Yes, yes, you’ve heard me tight. There are that ninjas, similar to Naruto ones (if anyone watched that anime you’ll know what I’m talking a
Panquequelife
Un manga con un poco de fantasía siempre es bienvenido, sin embargo, cuando le agregas viajes en el tiempo, se transforma de bueno, a genial. Konami Shouko es una mangaka con bastante experiencia en toda clase de géneros y Shinobi Life es de lo último que ha hecho, este manga se publicó por la revista Princess desde 2006 hasta 2012 cuando finalizó.

La trama no es tan sencilla pero si somos buenos lectores daremos en el clavo en los detalles que se nos presentan. Los personajes deben viajar en
和泉美優
This book is about a girl named Beni Fujiwara, who one day tries to commit suicide, to escape from her cold father(who is rich, but by her mother's inheritance), and she is saved from this ninja, Kagetora, who appears out of thin air. Later, she discovers that the ninja is from the past, and he is sworn to protect "Beni-hime" who is her ancestor, and apparently they look the same. When suddenly one day Beni and Kagetora go back in time to Kagetora's time, and they encounter the "Beni-hime" and ...more
Cdthomas
Kagetora is a feudal age ninja who is bound to protect a noble lady, Beni-Hime. At the opening of the book, Kagetora is running from pursuers and is thrown into a lake when a bomb goes off near him. As he sinks through the water, he slips through a time warp that transports him to modern day Japan. Kagetora actually falls from the sky to land on the female protaganist, Beni.

Beni is the daughter of a Japanese mobster. Her whole life has been tragedy. Her mother committed suicide in a shed a few y
Hailey Gregg palagar
In this book, the main character is a modern day girl who meets a ninja from the past. At first they do not realize from which time period each other are. He is convinced she is a princess and he a body guard. This story is one of adventure, love and time travel.

I enjoyed this book. I have mentioned before that I am not a huge fan of graphic novels. I loved the story in this one. It was well written, cute and funny. I wish there was a novel version of this story! I would LOVE that!
Reem
Again.. I got decieved by the cover.
This manga is not entirely bad but it's just not good as I hoped it would be.
The plot is okay, could have been developed way way better than this lame way.
There are no story events that worth mentioning. The moments between the characters are over-used that I could tell you exactly what they are going to say and what's going to happen. Nothing at all interesting enough, even the art is mehh.
Too bad, this could have been better or at least more interesting than
A
A capable female protagonist, a protective love interest with eyes only for her, time travel and ninjas! Beni is not a totally helpless character, but she gives Kagetora plenty of opportunities to save her whether it's from bad hips making her fall down(I don't know what's up with that) or from guys with bad intentions. Kagetora does not have much in the way of personality, boiling down to his protectiveness of Beni, being naive about the future, and a little bit of pride. Lots of titillation as ...more
Kate
I saw this at the library on Saturday, so checked out the four volumes on the shelf.

That's my justification for reading this at all. I had no idea how bad it was. Usually I research manga before I read, but I didn't in this case and paid for it. Because this series is really awful. It's a sappy angst-ridden story that makes no sense - the characters hardly question the credibility of the events surrounding them...and while I will suspend my disbelief to a certain extent, this story goes way bey
Ámbar
Estuvo aceptable. Tierna historia, mucho amor y drama y todo, pero... ¡por el amor a Cristo, basta!

La trama comenzó muy bien, hasta que simplemente, a partir del tomo 6 más o menos, se volvió todo una mescolanza entre Naruto, Inception, Volver al Futuro y los típicos clichés de que "no podemos estar juntos porque no somos de la misma clase social" y todo eso. Enough! No pienso seguir leyéndolo.

Fantástica idea, no lo niego, y hasta estoy segura de que se pone genial más adelante, pero no planeo
Ella
Kagetora and Beni-sama. I most adore those two. Beni gets to have a man by her side to protect her from getting kidnapped over and over again. I agree with Beni about Kagetora being a cosplayer. If I were in her shoes, I would of thought the same thing.
Majuchan
Hooray!!
I'm back to reading and reviewing books now.

This manga is a good start my celebratory review. It really caught my attention while I was browsing GR's recommendations. I like the cover and the blurb. Actually it reminded me of the Korean series "Rooftop Prince".

The illustration: 3 stars. Not bad and not that good. (I think the eyes can be improve more)

Kagetora's outfit reminds me of Kakashi from Naruto. But, NO! Kagetora is much kawaii~~ (because I can see his face)

Story: 2 stars?? I thin
Katie
This book has many aspects to it that you'll have to read for yourself to find out.
Sarina
this was pretty funny :D
Tanya
The art is really good and the story is worth reading. I have read this a second time recently and I enjoyed every bit of it.
Nicole
Total guilty pleasure shojo. Beni, a modern young woman with a very difficult home life, bears a strong resemblance to a princess from centuries ago. The ninja that dedicated his life to protecting the ancient princess - the handsome Kagetora - accidentally time travels to the present and confuses Beni for "his princess." What follows, of course, are many scenes with ninja Kagetora saving Beni time and again, with the pair first fighting (and then giving in to) their attraction to each other. &l ...more
Dani
Chapters 1-4.

I really like Kagetora and how clueless he was at first. The girl is more just okay as her relationship with her father is intriguing at least. She rubs me the wrong way at first and I find the present a little boring.

It gets lots better later as we learn about the past. This is funnier than Black Bird but not as well plotted. I loved the large, almost full page drawings but I don't like how they reused drawings at times.

BOTTOM LINE: A good start!
Sandy
OK I will say this, the first volume isn't much to get all excited about it, in my opinion it was OK but I have been lucky to read up to volume 7 in the series and I LOVE this manga. Its is sweet, FUNNY, romantic, heart wrenching and as you get into later volumes is filled with more and more action and character development. Do what I did and make sure to give this manga a second chance, it deserves it.
Kaitlin  Hillerich
My first manga and still my all time favorite! The artwork is beautiful, the story is interesting, and Kagetora...*swoon!* You don't want to miss this series if you're a fan of manga, and this is an excellent series to try if you've never read manga before! Romance and action abounds :]
Patrice
I thought Kagetora was pretty cool, but it took me a while to warm up to Beni. I liked her more by the end. The time travel aspect reminded me of Outlander except in reverse. I have no idea where the story will go from this point but I am curious to find out.
Chelsea
Contains Chapters 1 - 4: This looks like a really interesting series and I am looking forward to seeing how the relationship between Beni and Kagetora will evolve throughout the series.
Cassie
A good start to a new manga. Will be looking forward to reading more.
Ivette
I really like this series.. it just calls to me.... i cant wait till we get a new computer, brcause i really want to catch up in this one... i even forgot which chapter i'm on.. o well.. i re-read it!
Evie
This is the first manga I ever read. It was a few years ago so I decided to reread them. Very cute, it'll be interesting to see where the story goes. Gotta love the ninjas! ;)
  • Bloody Kiss, Vol. 01
  • Stepping on Roses, Vol. 1
  • Love Attack, Volume 1
  • Captive Hearts, Vol. 01 (Captive Hearts, #1)
  • Ai Hime ~ Ai to Himegoto, Vol. 01
  • 100% Perfect Girl, Volume 1
  • Barajou no Kiss, Vol. 01 (Barajou no Kiss, #1)
  • Wild Ones, Vol. 1 (Wild Ones, #1)
  • Beast Master, Vol. 2 (Beast Master, #2)
  • B.O.D.Y., Volume 1
  • Rasetsu, Vol. 1
  • Her Majesty's Dog, Volume 1
  • Tenshi Ja Nai!! (I'm No Angel), Vol. 1 (Tenshi Ja Nai, #1)
  • Honey Hunt, Vol. 1
  • The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 1
  • Happy Cafe, Vol. 1 (Happy Cafe, #1)
  • Butterflies, Flowers (Butterflies, Flowers, #1)
  • Cherry Juice, Vol. 01

Shinobi Life (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Shinobi Life, Vol. 02
  • Shinobi Life, Vol. 08
  • Shinobi Life, Vol. 09
  • Shinobi Life, Vol. 10
  • Shinobi Life, Vol. 11
Shinobi Life, Vol. 04 Shinobi Life, Vol. 02 Shinobi Life, Vol. 05 Shinobi Life, Vol. 03 Shinobi Life, Vol. 07