Start by marking “French Cooking in Ten Minutes: Adapting to the Rhythm of Modern Life” as Want to Read:
French Cooking in Ten Minutes: Adapting to the Rhythm of Modern Life

French Cooking in Ten Minutes: Adapting to the Rhythm of Modern Life

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  115 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
A beautiful reprint of Edouard de Pomiane's classic collection of recipes for simply prepared meals is more useful now than ever before. Illustrated with period pen and ink drawings, French Cooking in Ten Minutes offers an array of recipes for quick soups, extemporaneous sauces, egg and noodle dishes, preparing fish and meats, as well as vegetables, salads, and deserts.
Published October 31st 1994 by North Point Press (first published January 1st 1930)

To ask other readers questions about French Cooking in Ten Minutes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about French Cooking in Ten Minutes

Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha ChristieThe Maltese Falcon by Dashiell HammettThe Little Engine That Could by Watty PiperStrong Poison by Dorothy L. Sayers1066 and All That by W.C. Sellar
Best Books of 1930
25th out of 29 books — 23 voters
Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles Cookbook by Anthony BourdainLiterary Feasts by Barbara ScraffordThe Art of Mexican Cooking by Diana KennedyThe Complete Book of Greek Cooking by St. Paul's Greek Orthodox C...The Irish Pub Cookbook by Margaret M. Johnson
King's Books Cookbook Club
18th out of 90 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

LAPL Reads
Jul 02, 2014 LAPL Reads rated it really liked it
Ten minutes to cook a French meal? Sacre bleu is what some purists might scream, and a few of them did just that in 1930s’ Paris. Edouard de Pomiane’s little book, with its very practical advice about cooking and eating well with the least amount of fuss, was a big hit, as were his other books and radio programs. He was not a trained cook or chef, but a scientist at the Louis Pasteur Institute in Paris, with cooking as a hobby and a second-act career. De Pomiane was born in Paris, a first genera ...more
davidson mulkey
Jun 01, 2008 davidson mulkey rated it liked it
THis is a really fun reading cookbook. It reads with a sense of humor and is the very basics of cooking in a french style without getting too crazy. The recipes can really be done in 10 minutes if you already have the ingredients and gear you need in the house. It reads a little clumsey in places, since it was written in 1930, and some modern availability of food would be unfathomable to Mr. de Pomaine. Fresh aparagus for instance, is available to us year round. When he speaks of asparagus he re ...more
Diane Morris
Mar 08, 2015 Diane Morris rated it it was amazing
I didn't have high expectations; after all French cooking in ten minutes? Nah, impossible! However, as I began skimming through the book I was caught by Edouard de Pomiane's friendly approach and writing style. He is delightfully confiding and encouraging...

pg 5, "Food can be cooked by ... braising. This last technique is virtually useless in ten minute cooking because it is a very long, slow process."
pg 53, "Not very elegant but absolutely delicious.",
pg 72 (for fried frogs' legs) "The frog is
George Girton
Jan 18, 2012 George Girton rated it it was amazing
I was hiking up a canyon in France, to see a waterfall in Vaucluse -- the "Fontane de Vaucluse". Oddly, there were various attractions along the trail and one of them turned about to be the Museum of the Resistance -- Musee de la Resistance -- where aspects of daily life during occupied France were portrayed. For example, a bicycle with, in place of a tire, corks from wine bottles: rubber was a war resource in short supply. Make do with wine corks!

Imagine my surprise to see a slim volume by Edou
Elizabeth
Feb 18, 2015 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Have loved this book since I discovered it in my local public library and would take it out frequently. Then one day it was no longer part of the collection and I tried everywhere to buy a copy. I now own a re-release and am so very pleased. Part story of life and mostly a cooking advice book that resonates with me. If you are going to eat start immediately by putting water on to boil! I picked up some great advice over the years.
Iris
Oct 27, 2009 Iris rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: single people, coupled people
Shelves: history, cuisine
Charme! élégance! Yes, that's the Rachael Ray of 1930, Edouard de Pomiane, who shares with us his philosophy that a fine meal can be prepared in 10-20 minutes. One tip: preheat the oven and start water boiling the moment you get home, even before you take off your coat; you'll end up doing something with them. Another: create several courses, for example, omelet, steak with béarnaise sauce, salad (only mixed greens and vinaigrette), fruit or yogurt or dessert. This is cheaper and easier than one ...more
Catleah Cunanan
Aug 07, 2014 Catleah Cunanan rated it it was amazing
This tiny manual remains one of the best cookbooks I have ever read. Given to me by a Parisian, so I had no reason to doubt it's authenticity... I find it pithy/succinct AND philosophical, if you can believe it. And accurate, pretty smart cooking instructions.
pdxmaven
Apr 30, 2011 pdxmaven rated it really liked it
Where did I hear about this? Was it among Christopher Kimball's favorites that were on sale at Barnes and Noble? I think so. So I ordered a copy.

First published in 1930, this sweet little book purports to open the door to an understanding of simple French cooking. The most helpful thing Pomiane (who was in fact Polish)does is organize the sections into such things as sauces, eggs, noodles, vegetables, etc., and then starts with the basic (10 minute) recipe and goes on to riffs on each one. You
Kathryn
Jul 06, 2014 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
One of the wittiest, silliest, wisest books on cooking I've ever read. Originally published in 1930. The author's Polish heritage lends itself to several idiosyncratic commentaries. I have no idea how practiceable the recipes actually are, but it's a fun read with dramatic expositions in the style of old time radio commercials.
Caroline
Jan 11, 2015 Caroline rated it liked it
Maybe takes longer than ten minutes, but it is still an interesting concept.
Mel Healy
May 09, 2014 Mel Healy rated it it was amazing
Superb recipes and writing. Easily one of the greatest cookbooks ever.
Kara
Mar 03, 2015 Kara rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
A delightful, little cookbook filled with straightforward recipes. It is somewhat dated, but in a charming way. Several recipes are pretty unthinkable for Americans (such as blood sausage). But most of the recipes can be made today in our kitchens and with the food we can easily find at our grocery stores. I'm looking forward to incorporating some of these recipes into my dinner rotation.
Annette
Apr 22, 2008 Annette rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those who love their kitchens
this is a tiny book and one that you would not expect much from. who can cook anything in ten minutes, let alone french food? i bought it as a curiosity when i was buying some other french cookbooks online. well, edouard de pomaine was brilliant and witty. even if you never make a thing from this cookbook it is worth owning, reading and consulting.
Amy
Jan 16, 2016 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015, 2016
This is an utterly charming little book with excellent recipes. I have to admit to being surprised at how good the onion soup is--this one will be made often!
Jonathan
Apr 16, 2011 Jonathan rated it really liked it
An inspiring little cookbook, in which speedy preparation sacrifices neither flavour nor quality. Not suitable for beginners, but if you've got a bit of experience under your belt, this is a nice, quick resource. Despite its age, it holds up well for life in the 21st century.
Grace
Oct 23, 2011 Grace rated it it was amazing
He cheats a little (cooked potatoes don't really count as an ingredient), but I love the overall theme of the book: healthy eating habits are a lifestyle choice, not a luxury. The shirred egg recipe has brightened many bland winter afternoons for me.
Amanda
Feb 21, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it
It's a short little cookbook, and a totally delightful. It was written in 1930, and manages to feel vintage and fresh at the same time.
Sara
Feb 22, 2011 Sara rated it really liked it
Classic, timeless & witty !
Robin
Jul 28, 2010 Robin added it
food
Christopher Maxwell
Christopher Maxwell marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Neil G
Neil G marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Jean
Jean rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Shelby
Shelby marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Msbookworm
Msbookworm marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
  • Real Thai: The Best of Thailand's Regional Cooking
  • Roast Chicken and Other Stories
  • Bistro Cooking
  • The River Cottage Fish Book
  • Bi-Rite Market's Eat Good Food: A Grocer's Guide to Shopping, Cooking & Creating Community Through Food
  • The Complete Italian Vegetarian Cookbook: 350 Essential Recipes for Inspired Everyday Eating
  • Sweet Cream and Sugar Cones: 90 Recipes for Making Your Own Ice Cream and Frozen Treats from Bi-Rite Creamery
  • Splendid Soups: Recipes and Master Techniques for Making the World's Best Soups
  • Cheese Primer