Shaman, Healer, Sage: How to Heal Yourself and Others with the Energy Medicine of the Americas

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  355 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Alberto Villoldo, a classically trained medical anthropologist, has studied shamanic healing techniques among the descendants of the ancient Inkas for more than twenty years. In Shaman, Healer, Sage, he draws on his vast body of knowledge to create a practical and revolutionary program based on the traditional healing methods used by these shamans -- methods that, until no...more
Published December 19th 2000 by Harmony

lalalex
Considering most of the healing practices of the America's are passed down orally, I'm a bit dubious about someone who charges money to have a school to learn to be shamanic. However, that being said, there are some nice chapters on chakras in here that were helpful.
Earth  Thunder
Sep 03, 2008 Earth Thunder is currently reading it
Recommends it for: all seekers of understanding what they would not teach you in school
Everything by Alberto Villodo is perfect. As an author he stands back and allow the fabric to enter your blanket. You choose how to wrap yourself.
I got bogged-down in the middle of the book when he goes into detail about his practice - so thick with information, every sentence caused my brain to go off on a tangent and I would forget I was reading a book. It's also discussion of a practice - I'm told this is a text book for his students in The Light Body School too - meaning you'll never fully understand it until you begin to *practice* it.

But it's worth the read and I can't wait to read this book again! Based in Incan Shamanism, the simi...more
Roberta Romero
The book was recommended by a friend. After reading the book and taking it all in I came to the conclusion that like acupuncture (years back) only those few will go to a Shaman initially. Now acupuncture is used to treat many different ailments. In the same way visiting a Shaman will become more of the norm in the near future.

The book is a good introduction to Shamanism. The fact that the author was a Ph.D with a very lucrative scientific career ahead of him makes it that more interesting to rea...more
Andrea Marley
Profound and Important. For spirits having a "human experience" as they say. A slow read due to the amount of information being given. I would also recommend watching the movie "Thrive" as a complement .. It gives a visual to the torus, chakras and energy fields Villoldo speaks of. Just got his next 8 books from the library.
Laural Wauters
The first book I read by him. This book inspired me to leave my career and train with the Four Winds. I am now a Shamanic practitioner thanks to Alberto. His combination of practical psychology, historical anthropology and spiritual healing speaks to my soul...thank you!
Ron Campbell
It is one of my favorite books on Shamanism.

The book documents Dr. Alberto Villoldo's journey to locate the MIND. He first became a Brain Surgeon to look for the MIND. It was not until later that he turned to Shamanism in his search. He could not find the MIND anywhere in the physical body.

In his search he finds a Peru Shaman that is willing to teach him but he had to find his teacher some decent new TEETH. It is a very human story with humor and serious life lessons. Where the teacher plays a...more
Larry Strattner
A technical book about shamanistic method and practice. Interestingly detailed in its recounting of process.

Villoldo is a classically trained medical anthropologist and brings a detailed procedural eye to some very ephemeral concepts.

The reader may not succeed in using the text as a guide to self-train as a Shaman but there are a number of detailed explanations of practices the reader could experiment with to see what happens at the basic foundation of these ideas.

I have substantial skepticism c...more
Zemirah
Loved it! Great introduction to energy healing. Transported me to South America and the sacred space of the shaman healers.
James W.
Great book that I first read in 2003. Interesting story of a Ph.D. studying the ways of the Peruvian Shamans. Western medicine has much to learn from these ancient techniques. Was even more interesting since I have visited Machu Pichu and other sites in the Sacred Valley of Peru since I first read this book.
Molly
The first part of the book is fascinating. It's filled with ancient philosophies, personal stories of healing, and an introduction to shamanism. The second section is the 'how-to' section. I'm assuming that after reading this, some people will be inclined to try it and I'm also going to assume that the majority won't do it successfully. Therefore these chapters feel like a plug for his school, Healing the Light Body School, which the author mentions numerous times.
*elasticfate
What I loved most were the journal entries from his shamanic initiations & personal journey. The instruction for the energy exercise - the illumination process, energy extraction, etc - is described in a very straight forward manner, though for me I have a hard time grasping these things in writing & prefer hands on learning. A really great perspective in shamanic healing...my only wish was that the entire book lived up to the many super strong & powerfully written parts.
Pat Collingwood-Ruppel
I read this book about 10 years ago and it stirred my curiosity and desire to explore more of the ancient wisdom and shamanism. I haven't had the opportunity and, to be honest, the courage to pursue it as fully as I wanted.

There is so much to learn with energy and this book takes you on Dr. Villoldo's personal journey of illumination with ancient healer sages in Peru. An inspiring and transforming read.
Sarah B.
This book was recommended to me by a dear friend as I was starting to explore the beginnings a personal Shamanism practice. It provides insight and substance to the mysterious life of a Shaman based on ancient South American ritual. I heard Villoldo's invocation (pg 135) to create sacred space at a drum circle to practice journeying and thought it was absolutely perfect.
Karen Carnabucci
As part of researching my own book -- "Integrating Psychodramand and Systemic Constellation Work: New Directions for Action Methods, Mind-Body Therapies and Energy Healing" -- I spent a good amount of time researching indigenous ways of healing, past and present. Alberto Villoldo tells fascinating stories of healing according to the traditions of South American shamans.
Rose
This author is the real thing, he has actually become and experienced what he is talking about with Shamanic healing, which to make simple in my view is chakra healing, or energetic healing with an accent on 'seeing' the energy fields. Still only part way thru, this book is most supportive for those on a healing path.
Debra
Of all the spiritual books on my shelf, this is the one I always return to when I need a "booster." I actually just ordered a new copy as the one I have has been read so many times the pages are falling out!
Shannon Ritchie
Jul 05, 2008 Shannon Ritchie is currently reading it
Just started this book. Went to a workshop on some of these methods and haven't felt so good in a long time. Just have to see if the book helps me to continue on this Way.
Juana
I like!! The arrangement of the exercises somewhat confused me, but I liked reading the stories, and want to buy this now so I can do the work...
Earththunder1
Heshewe, Alberto is my friend, heroine, spirit guide and humble servant of GrandMother Earth. His tenderness is his truth.
Kathy
This is a good book for those interested in Shamanism. Probably no one else I know would read it!
Jeannie Fazio
This book was recommended by my shaman. This is a great beginner's book on healing.
Rachael
Shamanic, great overview of key healing practices and some good exercises for a beginner
Jessica
Anything by this man is incredible...so much free wisdom...thak you ancestors of light.
Nancy Eister
A classic narrative of Peruvian Q'ero shamanic methods and teachings.
Jerry Bentley
Interesting information regarding Shamanism. Easy to read and understand.
Carole
Shaman des temps moderne, demandé pour Noël. J'ai bien hâte de le lire !!!
Sue Shipman
If you have any curiousities about shamanism, read this clear and concise book.
Jessica Clements
An amazing book that so tallies with my journey into healing myself.
Kim
Very comprehensive writer, especially in the shaman, spiritual genre
  • Soul Retrieval: Mending the Fragmented Self
  • The Way of the Shaman
  • Animal-Wise: The Spirit Language and Signs of Nature
  • Fire in the Head: Shamanism and the Celtic Spirit
  • Animal Spirit Guides: An Easy-to-Use Handbook for Identifying and Understanding Your Power Animals and Animal Spirit Helpers
  • Energy Medicine: Use Your Body's Energies
  • Urban Shaman
  • The Book of Stones: Who They Are & What They Teach
  • Conscious Dreaming: A Spiritual Path for Everyday Life
  • Wheels of Life: A User's Guide to the Chakra System
  • Essential Reiki: A Complete Guide to an Ancient Healing Art
  • Plant Spirit Medicine: The Healing Power of Plants
  • The Apple Branch: A Path to Celtic Ritual
  • Why People Don't Heal and How They Can: A Practical Programme for Healing Body, Mind and Spirit
  • The Subtle Body: An Encyclopedia of Your Energetic Anatomy
  • Reiki, the Healing Touch: Japanese Reiki Techniques and Hayashi Healing Guide
  • Medicine Cards: The Discovery of Power Through the Ways of Animals
  • Magick of Reiki: Focused Energy for Healing, Ritual, & Spiritual Development
By his mid-20s Alberto Villoldo was the youngest clinical professor at San Francisco State University. He was directing his own laboratory, the Biological Self-Regulation Lab, investigating how energy medicine and visualization could change the chemistry of the brain.

One day in his biology laboratory, Alberto realized that his investigation had to get bigger instead of smaller; Alberto needed to f...more
More about Alberto Villoldo...
The Four Insights: Wisdom, Power, and Grace of the Earthkeepers Mending the Past and Healing the Future with Soul Retrieval Dance of the Four Winds: Secrets of the Inca Medicine Wheel Courageous Dreaming: How Shamans Dream the World into Being Illumination: The Shaman's Way of Healing

“The shaman is a self-realized person. She discovers the ways of Spirit through her inner awakening.” 9 likes