Start by marking “Rebel Bookseller: How to Improvise Your Own Indie Store and Beat Back the Chains” as Want to Read:

Renowned bookseller Andrew Laties offers a radical and creative new paradigm for independent booksellers on all sides of the cash register, written to inspire a revival of community bookselling. In his 20 years of revolutionary retail, Latie's ideas were adapted by Barnes & Noble, Zany Brainy and scores of independents. Rebel Bookseller challenges today's bookstore wor ...more
Published June 1st 2005 by Vox Pop

To ask other readers questions about Rebel Bookseller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rebel Bookseller

Max Nemtsov
Mar 17, 2015 Max Nemtsov rated it it was ok
Книжки о книжках и их жизни — это любимое навсегда, но вот эта не весьма полезна и совсем не увлекательна. Милые заметки из окопов обскурной войны между независимыми книжными магазинами и сетевыми суперсторами в Чикаго, страница из истории книжного дела в Америке. С практической точки зрения очень устарела, к тому же Лейтиз в ней, такое ощущение, постоянно оправдывается.
Bobby
Nov 13, 2009 Bobby rated it liked it
I admit that I feel a little uncomfortable rating a book that I skimmed, so I will preface this review by stating I read all of the rants and only selected pieces of the remaining chapters.

That said, I really appreciated the honest and direct opinions of an obviously passionate and successful bookstore owner. Similar to another reviewer, I found myself extremely excited and frightened at the prospect of owning a bookstore. Fortunately, because I have been a bookseller and known small business ow
Bricoleur  (David) Soul
I need help. There I've said it.

I've finished the book I bought yesterday, but still I want my own indie bookstore. Even when the best rant in the book starts: "so you're thinking of opening a bookstore. Are you crazy?"
A well written and entertaining view of the trials and tribulations of one serial bookstore owner. Worth a read by anyone that misses their own favorite bookstore and dreams of when they might again floorish... and an necessary sanity check if you ever had dreams of joing the figh
Graham
Feb 14, 2012 Graham rated it liked it
Laties uses anecdotes from his long and fairly successful career as an independent bookseller to show the average indie seller a little of what works and what doesn't. However, these anecdotes frequently are not on the subject at hand, that is if you bought the book expecting to get out of it what the title promotes. Half memoir and half how-to guide for the bookseller, it's a good read (and useful) if you can either enjoy Laties' off-topic anecdotes or ignore his occasionally self-serving stori ...more
Jessica
Apr 11, 2007 Jessica rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Indy booksellers
One man's struggle in keeping his indy bookstore alive.
I read this before owning my own bookstore, and, while his writing is a bit choppy, I enjoyed reading his story. This won't teach you the ins-and-outs of running a bookstore, but it will give you some idea of the insanity it requires.
Now that I'm running a store, I plan on re-reading it. I'm sure I'll have a different perspective.
Sep 07, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
This book read pretty fast for a book about business. It was about primarily running stores geared towards children, but some of the strategies could be used for other bookstores. It made me want to move to a small town and open up an indie bookstore.
Skye Bochter
Oct 12, 2012 Skye Bochter rated it it was amazing

It's somewhat dated at this point, but still worth reading. Rather disturbing to hear, briefly, about the history and evolution of some of the big name chain stores. I'm conflicted about shopping at places like Barnes & Noble now.
Ivory
Jan 04, 2012 Ivory rated it liked it
This book provided instersting and thoughtful insight into the book-selling industry, and renewed my conviction to shop at locally owned bookstores as often as possible. At the same time, I got bored with the author's tone after awhile.
kaitlyn
Jan 18, 2009 kaitlyn rated it liked it
It depressed me and encouraged me by turns, and I'm not sure where I ended up. But it had a lot of interesting ideas and information. I could totally beat back the chains!--despite the fact that I shop at them regularly...
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Mackenna Swing
Mackenna Swing rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2016
Sally Chambers
Sally Chambers marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Emily Cromis
Emily Cromis marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Patrick
Patrick rated it liked it
May 05, 2016
Kelli Chapman
Kelli Chapman rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2016
David Rozems
David Rozems rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Jorge Pepperton
Jorge Pepperton rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2016
Mel Clancy
Mel Clancy marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Stefanie
Stefanie marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Lizbeth D
Lizbeth D marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Bec
Bec marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Mattias Geisler
Mattias Geisler rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2015
Bethany Nelson
Bethany Nelson marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Jen LaBruzza
Jen LaBruzza marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015