Start by marking “Constantine: All His Engines ” as Want to Read:
Constantine: All His Engines

Constantine: All His Engines (Hellblazer Graphic Novels )

4.17  ·  Rating Details ·  2,919 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
When a mysterious worldwide plague starts putting millions of people into deadly comas, Earth's foremost expert on the bizarre, John Constantine, steps in with the "cure," After traveling from the dreary alleys of London to the glittering boulevards of L.A., Constantine realizes that a cadre of wicked demons and hellish monsters is behind the outbreak, and he'll have to sa ...more
Published October 27th 2006 by Titan Books Ltd (first published January 21st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Constantine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Constantine

What's not to love about a gritty, noir-ish hero, with a smoking habit and a soul not worth a damn kicking demon ass? NOTHING. I would marry that guy if I could (and that would most likely end with me getting strung up and worn as demon-skin, so it's a good thing I can't).
Still, John Constantine is a fucking badass.
I want to call him an anti-hero, and he kind of is, but then again he isn't. Because isn't sending demons back to hell a pretty heroic thing?

So, protagonist I instantly love? Check.
Quentin Wallace
Aug 31, 2016 Quentin Wallace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just great. Pretty much the quintessential Constantine story.

A "plague of comas" strike children all over the world, including the niece of Constantine's friend Chas. It turns out to be a plan to lure Constantine into doing away with a demon's competition, as in, blackmailing Constatine into killing a lot of demons. Of course, Constantine never takes anything lying down, so it's on.

Also some of the best Leonardo Manco artwork I've seen. Just a great book all around.

This was released as an origi
Hugo Emanuel
Jan 12, 2015 Hugo Emanuel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, owned
John Constantine: Hellblazer - All His Engines" is a graphic novel with stand-alone story featuring John Constantine from the (now extinct) "Hellblazer" monthly series. It's written by Mike Carey, who also wrote one of the longest and widely acclaimed run of "Hellblazer". As the story is very much a self-contained one it requires little to no previous knowledge of the characters from "Hellblazer", so any reader can pick this up and read it without feeling lost as it does not reference plotpoints ...more
Jun 16, 2009 Dorothy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
three and a half stars really.. i guess i may sound like an old man, but i don't think these later Hellblazer stories are as good as the early ones. i mean, this book is good for what it is, but the original writer created a much more fascinating character in John Constantine (in my humble opinion of course). the Constantine of yore was a sarcastic, chain smoking ex-punk rock dude filled with internal pain who I found kind of likable and interesting. The later one as featured in this book seems ...more
João  Cardeira Jorge
A decent and enjoyable graphic novel but one that never really takes off! Constantine is a “noir-ish” character, very charismatic with a huge personality and some nice inner monologues. Hes quite likable but at times it seemed like the writer almost tried too hard to make him the cool anti-hero whos always a step ahead of his enemies and does the right thing with questionable means. But hes a very appealing character and more than capable of carrying the comic. The rest of the characters unfortu ...more
Huh. I saw this on the shelf at my friend John’s, flipped through it there, borrowed it, and read the whole thing, and I am still not sure if I have read it before or not. This may be attributable to my failing brain, but I’m sure it’s also due in part to the fact that All His Engines is a fairly standard John Constantine outing: there are creepy icky demony things, and John (Constantine, not my friend) snarks at them and gets in over his head but ultimately outwits everyone and is awesome. I li ...more
Sep 17, 2008 Jordan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vertigo_comics
This is a fairly solid Hellblazer story, and a fine standalone tale built for those unfamiliar with Constantine's long history. There are some sharp bits of dialogue and a few terrific character moments. But the plot just isn't unique enough to really stand out to a longtime reader. I need more at this point than another reckless deal with a double-crossing demon.

Also, Constantine is always more interesting when the horror is subtle and you're unsure whether the monsters are really there in the
Heath Lowrance
Aug 10, 2012 Heath Lowrance rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Many great writers have tackled the character of John Constantine, but my personal favorite is Mike Carey. He invests Our John with a world-weary maturity that's been a long time coming, and still manages to demonstrate that Constantine is still the tricky, manipulative bastard he's always been-- just better at it now than he's ever been.

This volume, All His Engines, is a stand-alone that makes for a perfect intro to the character, if you've never read him before. Constantine and his long-suffer
AWESOME. I love John Constantine and it's not that I don't like the "new" DC- Justice League Dark- Constantine but this comic does him justice. Darker, more gloomy and a few dozen other things I can't grasp right now. I'm a little speechless. It's perfect, just how I imagine John Constantine. The artwork is brilliant!
This is genius. Pure genius. Mike Carey is up to his usual self, producing stellar writing to match his crazy plotting, and Leonardo's artwork is one of the best I've seen on the Hellblazer series. This is genius, plain and simple.
Tucker Stone
Aug 16, 2016 Tucker Stone rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Commissioned for the purposes of putting something hardcover and classy on the shelf while the film Constantine was in the theaters, All His Engines reads like, well, something hardcover and classy put out to capitalize on a movie. Oddly, the story is not one that incorporates anything from the movie--this is still the same John Constantine who looks like Sting and is absolutely British. The story itself is yet another boring trudge down the road of John-as-flawed-hero, which, if you've ever rea ...more
Jun 26, 2015 Jaimie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sep 26, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story, good art, good running monologue and some really creepy moments along with the noir sensibility. If Harry Potter took place in hard boiled London or LA with Sting in the lead role it would be Hellblazer. And it would be awesome.
Aug 25, 2008 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you only ever read one John Constantine story, this is the one I would recommend. It is a self contained story, that requires no previous knowledge of the character, and is quite brilliant.
Paul Mirek
Oct 16, 2016 Paul Mirek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've yet to find a Vertigo Hellblazer volume that disappoints, and the standalone nature of this one was an added bonus. The setup is classic Constantine--John's erstwhile cabbie chum Chas has once again stumbled into some supernatural trauma and it's up to our rugged protagonist to bail him out. Carey's always been a master of high-concept work, and the greater plot here is both fascinating and terrifying to fathom. Manco draws a damn good Constantine, a beaten-down wanderer who could still cha ...more
Jul 01, 2014 Nina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far, my favorite Constantine book.

I spent years conflicted about John Constantine. I loved him in Swamp Thing and the Books of Magic, but was afraid reading his character in detail would ruin his tough-everyday-guy-who-is-magically-cooler-than-you mystique. Plus, there was that terrible-looking movie. I didn't want to risk my enjoyment of a favorite character.

Well, I risked it, with Carey, who I recognized from Sandman. And Carey made it worthwhile. The story was fantastic in the best way, me
Mar 12, 2016 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, favourites
Bloody amazing book. I have absolutely no complaints about it. It lasted for a good bit, I feel undeniably satisfied finishing this. The whole thing ended well. Kind of expected an annoying resolution to a certain part of the story but it was wrapped up perfectly and wasted no time. The pacing of this was very on point. The story was fascinating and I got to see exactly what I came to see. As always, John was such a pleasure to read with his humour and wit. I adore the art in this. The tone was ...more
It's a good story, and it does have nice art, but…
It's a pretty run-of-the-mill sort of story,
with pretty run-of-the-mill sort of art.

Not that it's anywhere near bad, as John Constantine stories and art go, well, it's not all that original.

I couldn't help but feel that this nice hardcover was put out to simply to capitalize on the, eugh, Keeanu Reeves Constantine movie that came out at pretty much the same time. Hey, it's even set in America.
For newcomers to the Constantine world, it probably
Mar 04, 2015 Jack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Hellblazer, and this is a good one. It's the first that I have read since watching the show, and it is interesting to see it in that light, given that this book is one of the episodes. You would recognize it as the one where Chaz's daughter slips in to a coma. (It's very, VERY different, mind you.) I love the Constantine of the comics that uses his skills as a con-man more often and more deftly than his magic. I've got a few more of the books to read, and I look forward to all of them.
Sep 26, 2011 Dan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars actually. I praised Mike Carey for his work on The Unwritten, and The Devil You Know - I felt he did a fine job on those. Here... not so much. It's a clever story, and a decent use of mixed mythologies but it never really took off for full flight as far as I'm concerned. Honestly I felt that the story could have been told completely and to the satisfaction of the reader in less than half the pages of the book. John Constantine: Hellblazer has been one of my favorite comic book series f ...more
Nov 09, 2014 Lauri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Päris vinge iseseisev graafiline romaan Constantine'i ja Chasi ohtlikust seiklusest Los Angeleses, kus miski deemon tahab asutada Põrgut maa peal. Constantine kasutab Põrgu deemonite vastu asteekide surmajumala abi aga eks sellise olevuse abi on alati kahe otsaga. Üsnagi vinge lugu nagu öeldud, Mike Carey nimi on muidugi kvaliteedimärk ka. Leonardo Manco joonistusele pole ka suurt midagi ette heita. Hea.
In this stand-alone graphic novel, John Constantine once again finds himself dealing with demons in the hope of saving a child (and possibly the world). When his friend Chas's niece falls prey to a mysterious illness that puts her in a coma, Chas turns to Constantine for help. Constantine quickly discovers that this is more than a normal illness; something seems to be robbing people of their souls. The trail leads the pair to Los Angeles, and culminates in Constantine pitting several uppity demo ...more
Bey Deckard
I totally forgot I had this, and then when I watched all of Constantine over about a week (the show, not the movie... and it's a bloody damn shame that was cancelled because I was quite enjoying it), I looked through my graphic novels and comics and found it.

Just as good reading it the second time. :)
Zuko Puko
I haven't read a Hellblazer comic before and this was recommended to me as a good starting point. It was a perfectly decent read and I'm definitely going to read more Constantine, but at times I found it a little hard to follow and I've read better books. I guess I was just expecting a little more.
Jul 12, 2011 Darrell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The souls of the dead are his robes. They sweep his path, before and after. The breath of the grave is his incense. It speaks his coming. It speaks his coming. The hour before dawn is his time. He approaches now. He is before us. The night sky is his gaping throat, and he comes from the west into the east. He calls us to his table, and the bones we eat there are our own."

In this stand alone story designed for readers new to the world of Hellblazer, John Constantine travels to Los Angeles when t
Michael Roop
May 16, 2011 Michael Roop rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
John Constantine is one bad dude. I feel into this on by seeing the movie Constantine not know it was a comic until the end credits. By that time I still thought Keanu was Constantine, until the comic series fell into my hands. The movie had it all wrong and theater of the mind has it all right! Constantine is a british fellow with a penchant for apathy mixed with empathy and compassion. I don't get it either. He smokes and drinks enough to make rednecks look like quitters and his soul is like o ...more
Victor Orozco
Pretty cool read. Not really used to these Constantine stories yet but even I have to admit I went through this story pretty quickly. Great imagery and a pretty interesting story, Mike Carey does a good job here.

Michelle Morrell
Constantine travels to LA to deal with a plague of mysterious comas. He's determined to save the granddaughter of an old friend, whatever the cost, and finds himself on the losing end of a deal with a devil who wants to bring about his own little slice of hell on earth.
Aug 28, 2014 diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I can see how this book inspired the movie. Each has merrit and is worth reading (or watching, really). Constantine continues to be a bastard, which is probably why I like him.
Ming Siu
The plot is decent, though there were very few moments of real horror or creepiness. It's an okay standalone story, but John Constantine's had better.
  • Hellblazer: Haunted
  • Hellblazer: Rare Cuts
  • Hellblazer: Hard Time
  • Hellblazer: Damnation's Flame
  • Hellblazer: Joyride
  • Hellblazer: Empathy is the Enemy
  • Hellblazer: Scab
  • Hellblazer: City of Demons
Mike Carey was born in Liverpool in 1959. He worked as a teacher for fifteen years, before starting to write comics. When he started to receive regular commissions from DC Comics, he gave up the day job.

Since then, he has worked for both DC and Marvel Comics, writing storyli
More about Mike Carey...

Hellblazer Graphic Novels (1 - 10 of 40 books)
  • Hellblazer: Original Sins