Start by marking “Play the Monster Blind” as Want to Read:
Play the Monster Blind

Play the Monster Blind

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  11 reviews
An exhilarating collection of short fiction, Play the Monster Blind showcases the remarkably original voice of Lynn Coady, the award-winning author of Strange Heaven. Funny, poignant and smart, full of unforgettable characters, these stories explore the violence of family, the constraints of small-town life and the elusive promise of escape.

In "Ice Cream Man," an adolescen
Published March 13th 2001 by Vintage Canada (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Play the Monster Blind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Play the Monster Blind

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryThe Shipping News by Annie ProulxAlias Grace by Margaret AtwoodThe Blind Assassin by Margaret AtwoodThe Deptford Trilogy by Robertson Davies
Oh, Canada!
135th out of 543 books — 222 voters

More lists with this book...

Jer Fairall
Earns a place on my "favourites" shelf as it contains one of my very favourite short stories of all time, "In Disguise as the Sky," though there are four other pieces here nearly of equal quality. Rating based on the average ratings of each individual story:

Play the Monster Blind (****/*****)
Ice-Cream Man (****/*****)
Batter My Heart (**/*****)
Jesus Christ, Murdeena (**/*****)
Look, and Pass On (***/*****)
A Great Man’s Passing (****/*****)
Big Dog Rage (****/*****)
The Devil’s Bo-Peep (***/*****)
In
Daniel Kukwa
The stories in this collection make for a wonderful examination of the irritating & the uncouth, the unpolished & the perplexed. A world full of idiosyncratic people, all trying to function in a world that seems to be changing too fast for their tastes. It delights in sucking in the reader into a vortex of so many different lives, yet leaves behind consistent feelings of ambiguity and uncertainty in its wake. Not at all what I was expecting...and I'm all the better for it.
Buried In Print
This review was deleted following Amazon's purchase of GoodReads.

The review can still be viewed via LibraryThing, where my profile can be found here.

I'm also in the process of building a database at Booklikes, where I can be found here.

If you read/liked/clicked through to see this review here on GR, many thanks.
Alexis
Dec 14, 2010 Alexis rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
Three and a half stars. Read this years ago, but wanted to re-read for Canada Reads Indie.

I like the grittiness of this collection and the portrayal of the harshness of Maritime life. Coady really excels and including the details of life and circumstances and her use of language is fantastic.

Loved the many uses of the word "Jesus", and "arse."
Becka
I absolutely love Lynn Coady, and this collection of short stories was a really fantastic way to get your fill of her fantastic dialogue and Canadian slang. Her characters are so easy to love and find yourself in, especially those of us who have had the pleasure of growing up in a small town or community.

Brilliant!
Daphne
Great as ever.
Lindsey Pollard
I can't get over how brilliant the conversations are in these stories.
Nicki Hill
i love short stories and i love canadians. perfect combo for me.
Melissa Somerton
Great collection of short stories. (see review of strange heaven).
Laura marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Lorebound
Lorebound marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Nadia
Nadia marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Penni Doucette
Penni Doucette marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Mercedes
Mercedes marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Lynn Coady is an award-winning author, editor, and journalist. Her previous novels include Saints of Big Harbour, which was a national bestseller and a Globe and Mail Top 100 book, and Mean Boy, a Globe and Mail Top 100 book. Her popular advice column, Group Therapy, runs weekly in the Globe and Mail. Coady is originally from Cape Breton Island, NS, and is now living in Edmonton, Alberta.
More about Lynn Coady...