Start by marking “Play the Monster Blind” as Want to Read:
Play the Monster Blind

Play the Monster Blind

An exhilarating collection of short fiction, Play the Monster Blind showcases the remarkably original voice of Lynn Coady, the award-winning author of Strange Heaven. Funny, poignant and smart, full of unforgettable characters, these stories explore the violence of family, the constraints of small-town life and the elusive promise of escape.

In "Ice Cream Man," an adolescen
Published March 13th 2001 by Vintage Canada (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Play the Monster Blind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Play the Monster Blind

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryThe Shipping News by Annie ProulxAlias Grace by Margaret AtwoodThe Blind Assassin by Margaret AtwoodLife of Pi by Yann Martel
Oh, Canada!
160th out of 666 books — 299 voters
Oh, My Darling by Shaena LambertDarwin's Bastards by Zsuzsi GartnerGreedy Little Eyes by Billie LivingstonPlay the Monster Blind by Lynn CoadyThe Divinity Gene by Matthew Trafford
Canadian Short Story Collections--current
4th out of 19 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Dec 14, 2010 Alexis rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
Three and a half stars. Read this years ago, but wanted to re-read for Canada Reads Indie.

I like the grittiness of this collection and the portrayal of the harshness of Maritime life. Coady really excels and including the details of life and circumstances and her use of language is fantastic.

Loved the many uses of the word "Jesus", and "arse."
Adam  McPhee
Dec 21, 2015 Adam McPhee rated it it was amazing
I've now read all of Lynn Coady's books, and I wanted to rank them and organize them into a strict hierarchy, but I don't think I can except to say that I think this one is my favourite, and Hellgoing is my least favourite, but I can't say why. Also I think I liked Mean Boy and The Antagonist more than Saints of Big Harbour and Strange Heaven, but those second two have stuck in my mind more, so I'm not even sure about that.
Jer Fairall
Earns a place on my "favourites" shelf as it contains one of my very favourite short stories of all time, "In Disguise as the Sky," though there are four other pieces here nearly of equal quality.

Play the Monster Blind (****/*****)
Ice-Cream Man (****/*****)
Batter My Heart (**/*****)
Jesus Christ, Murdeena (**/*****)
Look, and Pass On (***/*****)
A Great Man’s Passing (****/*****)
Big Dog Rage (****/*****)
The Devil’s Bo-Peep (***/*****)
In Disguise as the Sky (*****/*****)
Run Every Day (***/*****)
Buried In Print
This review was deleted following Amazon's purchase of GoodReads.

The review can still be viewed via LibraryThing, where my profile can be found here.

I'm also in the process of building a database at Booklikes, where I can be found here.

If you read/liked/clicked through to see this review here on GR, many thanks.
Daniel Kukwa
Mar 30, 2015 Daniel Kukwa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: canadian-lit
The stories in this collection make for a wonderful examination of the irritating & the uncouth, the unpolished & the perplexed. A world full of idiosyncratic people, all trying to function in a world that seems to be changing too fast for their tastes. It delights in sucking in the reader into a vortex of so many different lives, yet leaves behind consistent feelings of ambiguity and uncertainty in its wake. Not at all what I was expecting...and I'm all the better for it.
Sep 08, 2009 Becka rated it really liked it
I absolutely love Lynn Coady, and this collection of short stories was a really fantastic way to get your fill of her fantastic dialogue and Canadian slang. Her characters are so easy to love and find yourself in, especially those of us who have had the pleasure of growing up in a small town or community.

Michele Iwanus
Jun 22, 2016 Michele Iwanus rated it liked it
I've never been much of a lover of short stories, but found this collection to be endearing and thought provoking. I will read this again some time.
Genesta rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2014
Sharon rated it it was ok
Dec 19, 2014
Kevin Gallan
every story is wonderful
Harriet Provine
Harriet Provine rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2013
Matthew Lewis
Matthew Lewis rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2014
Joe Tinney
Joe Tinney rated it it was ok
Apr 03, 2015
Doug Mclean
Doug Mclean rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2014
Matt Robinson
Matt Robinson rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2011
Chequer rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2013
Chris rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2013
Leanne Reads
Leanne Reads rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2014
Jan 06, 2015 Daphne rated it it was amazing
Great as ever.
Dar R
Dar R rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Fred Mackay
Fred Mackay rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2013
Zhou Yi
Oct 05, 2014 Zhou Yi rated it liked it
Rhea Tregebov
Rhea Tregebov rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2010
Heather rated it it was ok
Aug 19, 2010
Lindsey Pollard
Feb 24, 2013 Lindsey Pollard rated it it was amazing
I can't get over how brilliant the conversations are in these stories.
Patsy_Daisy rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2014
Tamara rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2011
Alistair rated it really liked it
May 11, 2012
Corinne Wasilewski
Corinne Wasilewski rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2012
Krista rated it really liked it
May 12, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Lynn Coady is an award-winning author, editor, and journalist. Her previous novels include Saints of Big Harbour, which was a national bestseller and a Globe and Mail Top 100 book, and Mean Boy, a Globe and Mail Top 100 book. Her popular advice column, Group Therapy, runs weekly in the Globe and Mail. Coady is originally from Cape Breton Island, NS, and is now living in Edmonton, Alberta.
More about Lynn Coady...