Start by marking “Mary Wore Her Red Dress and Henry Wore His Green Sneakers” as Want to Read:
Mary Wore Her Red Dress and Henry Wore His Green Sneakers

Mary Wore Her Red Dress and Henry Wore His Green Sneakers

"In this adaptation of a Texas folk song, the illustrations show the story of Katy Bear's birthday party, while the repetitive verses are a catalog of what the guests wore. . . . The pictures pick up color as the guests arrive and the activities get livelier. To further focus attention on color, the words are printed in boxed insets of the appropriate hue. . . . The music- ...more
Board Book, 11 pages
Published March 23rd 1998 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1985)

Be the first to ask a question about Mary Wore Her Red Dress and Henry Wore His Green Sneakers

Rossy
Jan 07, 2015 Rossy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Cute animals going to Katy's birthday party. It starts with black and white illustrations and little by litte, gets pretty colorful while introducing each color.
Great for little kids who are learning the names of the colors!
Connie
Jul 17, 2010 Connie rated it really liked it
This is a very simple book of a song (and props to the author for bothering to include the music in the back! I hate it when they don't, and then I can't figure out how to sing the song. My edition didn't come with the CD) which those of us who listen to Wee Sing might recognize. This is a very simple "zipper" song - you can "zip" new words in and out as needed. $NAME wore his/her $COLOR $CLOTHING all day long! As such, it's bound to be popular among small children.

I have two small complaints a
Kayla Rhome
Sep 14, 2016 Kayla Rhome rated it it was amazing
Plot Summary:
-Mary Wore Her Red Dress and Henry Wore His Green Sneakers is a great picture book that shows multiple concepts. This book is also a song and as you read the book and the author describes the colors of what each character is wearing she colors anything that is that color in the illustration. As you go through each page it is a different character that is wearing a different color.
Literary Merit:
-A huge literary element is the style of this book. The color scheme that is used in this
Kimberlee Gutterman
Oct 03, 2016 Kimberlee Gutterman rated it really liked it
Shelves: predictable
This book is predictable because it is extremely predictable. This book has a flowing language when it discusses what the characters are wearing. Evidence for why the text flows can be found on the back of the last page where it demonstrates that it is actually a song and gives the music notes so the children can sing it in the right key. Since there is a song that goes with the text it makes reading the book more enjoyable because the children will have fun singing along. This book is also good ...more
Sidney
This book is good but not my favorite. It talks about Mary wearing her read dress and what other colorful items people wore at the party. It can be put into a little song. This book is too repetitive and boring for me. Nothing much happens other than what other colors people are wearing. I understand while children would love it though.
Vivian
Oct 05, 2012 Vivian rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
We needed a music break in our library story time about colors.
First we sang the text all the way through.
Next we all stood up and looked for someone wearing red and then inserted the child's (children's) name/s and article/s of clothing.
We continued this for several of the colors, as long as there was interest and energy for the activity.

One of the mothers came up to me after the program to jot down the title and author. She remembered it from when she was little and hadn't seen it since then
Barbara
Sep 22, 2012 Barbara rated it liked it
Shelves: animals, concept-book
Several animals, dressed in their best clothing, are headed off to Katy Bear's birthday party. In simple, repetitive text, beginning readers learn the names of colors such as red, green, yellow, blue, and brown. The story begins with black and white images, relieved only by the colorful object Mary Squirrel is wearing--a red dress. As other animal characters are introduced, the pages fill up with color. This classic children's book is excellent to help children name articles of clothing and pred ...more
June
Dec 15, 2014 June rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: librarians, parents & teachers
This works well in Toddler Time. I use it with the song, then in action rhyme (using the song's melody), then a color song. 12/9/11

Used it again this year. Had a much younger PJ story time crowd so my Native American plan was dropped and threw together a clothing program last minute. 11/27/12

Used again this year. Forgot to order the Kinderman CD, so used the Wee Sing for Baby version of the song instead of Kinderman's color song. 12/17/13

The boy at PJ Story Time was very good at saying the color
Dolly
Aug 18, 2011 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We borrowed this book from our library as part of a kit with a CD and we listened to it over and over again while our girls followed along with the book. It's a catchy tune and we liked to listen to both tracks on the CD (with words and without.) We ended up making up our own words to the song and we laughed a lot. Highly recommend listening to the recording while reading the book; I think it will add a whole dimension of fun.
Sheniece
Jan 24, 2011 Sheniece rated it really liked it
Shelves: colors
This book is an excellent choice for teaching students about colors. The illustrations are great because everything is black and white except for the item whose color is being talked about. Thus, for example, it talks about green shoes and the green shoes are the only thing colored on the page. The book can be sung instead of just regularly read because there's a melody provided in the back of the book. This makes learning colors fun.

Miss Sarah
Mar 18, 2016 Miss Sarah rated it it was ok
each animal in this book is wearing a different color in order to make it to their friends birthday party. The text is simple and names the object worn, the color and the animals name and then repeats it. A little dated but still a solid book.
Esther
Feb 02, 2011 Esther rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
awesome book about colors! The pictures start off with black and white and slowly get more colorful with each page as you learn a different color. great for pre-k or kindergartners differentiating between colors.
Slytano
Aug 15, 2013 Slytano rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It might work in a storytime program that focuses on colors, but so will a hundred other books. The lyrics are a crummy old traditional song. Taking a traditional song and creating a book around it is the lamest. Whatever.
Samantha
It's a colorful birthday party in this rhythmic read aloud that can be chanted or sung.

Artwork becomes more colorful as the individual colors are introduced in the story.

Overall, a great read for a color storytime.
Valerie
Jul 23, 2009 Valerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-td-ps
great audience interaction for parents and toddlers - add asking who is wearing whatever color, pat their head
Katie Lee
Dec 12, 2013 Katie Lee rated it really liked it
The animals are headed to Katy's birthday party. I love that the author turned this book into a song, with lyrics included in the back.
Juliette
Jan 10, 2016 Juliette rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Good for teaching primary colors and repetitive lines so that children can join in. Song/music in back.
Megan Staten
This book was okay, however I would not use it in my classroom. I really did not think it effectively taught the concept it was supposed to be teaching.
Brittany
Apr 09, 2015 Brittany rated it liked it
This is a cute story and has a nice cultural tie in. However, I cannot see myself using this book in a grade higher than kindergarten or to fill time in a first grade class.
Stacy Kirkman
This book has illustration and text that is color coded. It helps young readers to learn words along with colors.
Valentin Eni
Valentin Eni rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2015
Erin Price
Erin Price rated it it was ok
Jul 05, 2011
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2017
Catherine Woodman
Simple beginning reading book
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
May 18, 2008
Monica
Monica rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2013
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2014
Natalie
Natalie rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2013
Sevf
Sevf rated it it was ok
May 06, 2014
BrocheAroe
BrocheAroe rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2013