Start by marking “Mary Wore Her Red Dress and Henry Wore His Green Sneakers” as Want to Read:
Mary Wore Her Red Dress and Henry Wore His Green Sneakers

Mary Wore Her Red Dress and Henry Wore His Green Sneakers

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  19 reviews
"In this adaptation of a Texas folk song, the illustrations show the story of Katy Bear's birthday party, while the repetitive verses are a catalog of what the guests wore. . . . The pictures pick up color as the guests arrive and the activities get livelier. To further focus attention on color, the words are printed in boxed insets of the appropriate hue. . . . The music- ...more
Board Book, 11 pages
Published March 23rd 1998 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1985)

Be the first to ask a question about Mary Wore Her Red Dress and Henry Wore His Green Sneakers

Cute animals going to Katy's birthday party. It starts with black and white illustrations and little by litte, gets pretty colorful while introducing each color.
Great for little kids who are learning the names of the colors!
This is a very simple book of a song (and props to the author for bothering to include the music in the back! I hate it when they don't, and then I can't figure out how to sing the song. My edition didn't come with the CD) which those of us who listen to Wee Sing might recognize. This is a very simple "zipper" song - you can "zip" new words in and out as needed. $NAME wore his/her $COLOR $CLOTHING all day long! As such, it's bound to be popular among small children.

I have two small complaints a
This is a cute story and has a nice cultural tie in. However, I cannot see myself using this book in a grade higher than kindergarten or to fill time in a first grade class.
Several animals, dressed in their best clothing, are headed off to Katy Bear's birthday party. In simple, repetitive text, beginning readers learn the names of colors such as red, green, yellow, blue, and brown. The story begins with black and white images, relieved only by the colorful object Mary Squirrel is wearing--a red dress. As other animal characters are introduced, the pages fill up with color. This classic children's book is excellent to help children name articles of clothing and pred ...more
Dec 15, 2014 June rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: librarians, parents & teachers
This works well in Toddler Time. I use it with the song, then in action rhyme (using the song's melody), then a color song. 12/9/11

Used it again this year. Had a much younger PJ story time crowd so my Native American plan was dropped and threw together a clothing program last minute. 11/27/12

Used again this year. Forgot to order the Kinderman CD, so used the Wee Sing for Baby version of the song instead of Kinderman's color song. 12/17/13

The boy at PJ Story Time was very good at saying the color
We needed a music break in our library story time about colors.
First we sang the text all the way through.
Next we all stood up and looked for someone wearing red and then inserted the child's (children's) name/s and article/s of clothing.
We continued this for several of the colors, as long as there was interest and energy for the activity.

One of the mothers came up to me after the program to jot down the title and author. She remembered it from when she was little and hadn't seen it since then
Taylor Darst
A great book to read with a group. A building book for kids to read.
This book is an excellent choice for teaching students about colors. The illustrations are great because everything is black and white except for the item whose color is being talked about. Thus, for example, it talks about green shoes and the green shoes are the only thing colored on the page. The book can be sung instead of just regularly read because there's a melody provided in the back of the book. This makes learning colors fun.

Aug 18, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We borrowed this book from our library as part of a kit with a CD and we listened to it over and over again while our girls followed along with the book. It's a catchy tune and we liked to listen to both tracks on the CD (with words and without.) We ended up making up our own words to the song and we laughed a lot. Highly recommend listening to the recording while reading the book; I think it will add a whole dimension of fun.
Stacy Kirkman
This book has illustration and text that is color coded. It helps young readers to learn words along with colors.
It's a colorful birthday party in this rhythmic read aloud that can be chanted or sung.

Artwork becomes more colorful as the individual colors are introduced in the story.

Overall, a great read for a color storytime.
It might work in a storytime program that focuses on colors, but so will a hundred other books. The lyrics are a crummy old traditional song. Taking a traditional song and creating a book around it is the lamest. Whatever.
awesome book about colors! The pictures start off with black and white and slowly get more colorful with each page as you learn a different color. great for pre-k or kindergartners differentiating between colors.
Megan Staten
This book was okay, however I would not use it in my classroom. I really did not think it effectively taught the concept it was supposed to be teaching.
Katie Lee
The animals are headed to Katy's birthday party. I love that the author turned this book into a song, with lyrics included in the back.
great audience interaction for parents and toddlers - add asking who is wearing whatever color, pat their head
Katie Morrison
Simple read for young children, with some songs that go along with it too.
Read for Early Headstart Storytimes 3/7/2013.
Catherine Woodman
Simple beginning reading book
Ava added it
Nov 18, 2015
Kelly Hong
Kelly Hong marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
The Shieldsren
The Shieldsren marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Kaycie added it
Oct 05, 2015
Valeria Holloway
Valeria Holloway is currently reading it
Oct 01, 2015
Owly added it
Sep 29, 2015
Shaketa Burton
Shaketa Burton marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Wupengyu is currently reading it
Sep 25, 2015
Jackie marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015