Mary Wore Her Red Dress and Henry Wore His Green Sneakers

Mary Wore Her Red Dress and Henry Wore His Green Sneakers

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  18 reviews
"In this adaptation of a Texas folk song, the illustrations show the story of Katy Bear's birthday party, while the repetitive verses are a catalog of what the guests wore. . . . The pictures pick up color as the guests arrive and the activities get livelier. To further focus attention on color, the words are printed in boxed insets of the appropriate hue. . . . The music-...more
Board Book, 11 pages
Published March 23rd 1998 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1985)

Connie
This is a very simple book of a song (and props to the author for bothering to include the music in the back! I hate it when they don't, and then I can't figure out how to sing the song. My edition didn't come with the CD) which those of us who listen to Wee Sing might recognize. This is a very simple "zipper" song - you can "zip" new words in and out as needed. $NAME wore his/her $COLOR $CLOTHING all day long! As such, it's bound to be popular among small children.

I have two small complaints a...more
Barbara
Several animals, dressed in their best clothing, are headed off to Katy Bear's birthday party. In simple, repetitive text, beginning readers learn the names of colors such as red, green, yellow, blue, and brown. The story begins with black and white images, relieved only by the colorful object Mary Squirrel is wearing--a red dress. As other animal characters are introduced, the pages fill up with color. This classic children's book is excellent to help children name articles of clothing and pred...more
Vivian
We needed a music break in our library story time about colors.
First we sang the text all the way through.
Next we all stood up and looked for someone wearing red and then inserted the child's (children's) name/s and article/s of clothing.
We continued this for several of the colors, as long as there was interest and energy for the activity.

One of the mothers came up to me after the program to jot down the title and author. She remembered it from when she was little and hadn't seen it since then...more
Taylor Darst
A great book to read with a group. A building book for kids to read.
Sheniece
This book is an excellent choice for teaching students about colors. The illustrations are great because everything is black and white except for the item whose color is being talked about. Thus, for example, it talks about green shoes and the green shoes are the only thing colored on the page. The book can be sung instead of just regularly read because there's a melody provided in the back of the book. This makes learning colors fun.

June
Dec 17, 2013 June rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: librarians, parents & teachers
This works well in Toddler Time. I use it with the song, then in action rhyme (using the song's melody), then a color song. 12/9/11

Used it again this year. Had a much younger PJ story time crowd so my Native American plan was dropped and threw together a clothing program last minute. 11/27/12

Used again this year. Forgot to order the Kinderman CD, so used the Wee Sing for Baby version of the song instead of Kinderman's color song.
Dolly
Aug 18, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We borrowed this book from our library as part of a kit with a CD and we listened to it over and over again while our girls followed along with the book. It's a catchy tune and we liked to listen to both tracks on the CD (with words and without.) We ended up making up our own words to the song and we laughed a lot. Highly recommend listening to the recording while reading the book; I think it will add a whole dimension of fun.
Samantha
It's a colorful birthday party in this rhythmic read aloud that can be chanted or sung.

Artwork becomes more colorful as the individual colors are introduced in the story.

Overall, a great read for a color storytime.
Jason Slayton
It might work in a storytime program that focuses on colors, but so will a hundred other books. The lyrics are a crummy old traditional song. Taking a traditional song and creating a book around it is the lamest. Whatever.
Esther
awesome book about colors! The pictures start off with black and white and slowly get more colorful with each page as you learn a different color. great for pre-k or kindergartners differentiating between colors.
Megan Staten
This book was okay, however I would not use it in my classroom. I really did not think it effectively taught the concept it was supposed to be teaching.
Katie Lee
The animals are headed to Katy's birthday party. I love that the author turned this book into a song, with lyrics included in the back.
Wastell Mcneil
In this book mary the squirrel goes to a birthday part and shows different colors. This is great for going over colors for students.
Valerie
great audience interaction for parents and toddlers - add asking who is wearing whatever color, pat their head
Beverly
Peek adds colors as each character sports a colored piece of clothing as told in the story.
Katie Morrison
Simple read for young children, with some songs that go along with it too.
Paula
Read for Early Headstart Storytimes 3/7/2013.
Catherine Woodman
Simple beginning reading book
Susan Erwin
Susan Erwin marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Kim Turner
Kim Turner marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Jen Neumeyer
Jen Neumeyer marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Yukiko
Yukiko added it
Jun 22, 2014
Marwa
Marwa marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Poemsea
Poemsea marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Disha Sankhla
Disha Sankhla marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Roll Over!: A Counting Song Roll Over!: A Counting Song The Balancing Act: A Counting Song Cricket's Tangrams: Hours of Fun with Challenging Chinese Puzzles Roll Over!: A Counting Song with Cassette(s)