Start by marking “Megatokyo, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Megatokyo, Volume 1

Megatokyo, Volume 1 (MegaTokyo #1)

3.72  ·  Rating Details ·  1,555 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
This re-issue of this highly successful Megatokyo Volume 1 brings fans a new and revised version of the book with improved print quality and a larger trim size. This book will contain all the comics from Chapter 0 as well as the running editorial comments featured in the original release. Exclusive to the Dark Horse reissue will be additional drawings, historical notes, ...more
Published April 13th 2004 by Dark Horse Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Megatokyo, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Megatokyo, Volume 1

xkcd by Randall MunroeWorm by WildbowHark! A Vagrant by Kate BeatonGunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 1 by Thomas SiddellAgatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank by Phil Foglio
Best of the Web
218 books — 276 voters
Nimona by Noelle StevensonGunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 1 by Thomas SiddellHark! A Vagrant by Kate Beatonxkcd by Randall MunroeAgatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank by Phil Foglio
Webcomics
301 books — 173 voters

More lists with this book...

Selena
Ah... Megatokyo... The story of two morons who went to Japan. Largo, with his loose grip on reality, and Piro, the levelheaded guy who can speak Japanese but doesn't quite understand what's going on. It's kind of like Big Bang Theory, but with more otaku, and it came first.

Good for laughs, but sometimes it gets serious. I didn't care as much for the serious stuff. I always looked forward to Largo and his strange thing (yes, I'm shallow :P). Forget Piro and his romantic troubles with three differ
Lindsey
Jun 06, 2008 Lindsey rated it liked it
Recommends it for: YA/anyone
Shelves: summer-2k8
Piro and Largo attempt to go to a gaming convention and in an attempt to make Largo see things his way Piro takes him to Japan. Except when they get there they have no money to get home. So they are then stuck in Japan with no definable way to get home since they keep spending their money on video games. They are socially awkward and have no skills with women which makes this an enjoyable and entertaining read.
Mario
Dec 30, 2013 Mario rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anime fans and art fans
Shelves: anime
Megatokyo is an online web comic, and this is the first collection of those comics. Since this is the first group of panels, you will get a good introduction to each of the characters. And while the story may not be nail-biting suspenseful, the characters will keep you reading.

Also, the art is fantastic! To me it is better then the Sailor Moon style anime most people are used to. The characters look as detailed the stories they are involved in. And if you end up liking the art more then the stor
Sean
Jun 20, 2009 Sean rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Yes
Recommended to Sean by: No one
Where the Saga begins. It follows are two nerds (Largo and Ping) through their misadventures in a Tokyo Japan that on those that a true "otaku" could understand. Was fist a web-comic now in paperback.
Gwen
May 30, 2011 Gwen rated it really liked it
I've been reading Megatokyo for around ten years now and it still brings me joy. If you have a passing interest in manga, games, and light hearted romance plots this series is wonderful.
Teeny
May 20, 2014 Teeny rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
What happens when you put a moron and an otaku together
Misa Niranon
Oct 06, 2016 Misa Niranon rated it liked it
Jewel
Dec 19, 2014 Jewel rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
(rating/review for the entire series to date)

ah, good old Megatokyo.

Megatokyo is supposedly one of the most successful webcomics to exist though I read it in book format. the series is essentially about otaku and gamer nerds--tons of gamer jokes as well as anime puns. l337 anyone?

Megatokyo, though looking like manga, isn't really. it's American made thus not truly a Japanese product. so if you have a disdain towards anime/manga but are still curious, Megatokyo might be a nice place to start thou
Taylor
Feb 13, 2008 Taylor rated it really liked it
So, I just found out that Fred Gallagher lives in Ann Arbor...woo hoo!
Anyway, I picked this up randomly at the library and I was hooked. I didn't realize it was a webcomic at first. I have read a bit of the series online but I actually enjoy reading it in print form more. The print volume, especially the first volume, gives you a lot of extra info [and rants] and is perfect for a megatokyo newbie.
The story is basically the randomly wonderful zombie, manga and video game filled adventures of Pir
Adam
May 14, 2010 Adam rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Manga Fans, Japanophiles, Adventure Seekers
Obviously the books are only for die-hard fans, as the material is all available for free online, but Megatokyo holds a special place in my heart.

I hesitate to call this manga because of the art style, but I guess that's what it is. It's American manga.
Most manga that I come across is frustratingly sappy, or too juvenile, or too violent, or devoid of plot.

but Megatokyo is always funny, always intriguing and makes me beg for more after each read.

And then I discover only one comic is released eve
Ryan
Jan 31, 2010 Ryan rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Apparently this is one of the longest running and most successful webcomics of the past decade, although I'd never heard of it before picking it up at the library.

It was ...meh. The art style switched halfway through, from an interesting four-panel square layout to a more generic manga one; the characters weren't really developed very much throughout it, and the humour fell flat more often than not. It could just be that, while I've been a life-long fan of video games, I've never been a "gamer"
Anna
Nov 24, 2014 Anna rated it liked it
Getting into this book was pretty hard, but once I did, I found myself enjoying it a lot. However, I don't think having a series of webcomics in a book benefitted me, because there was commentary and fun extras that I, just being introduced to this world and this concept, wasn't that in to. It was an extension to a world that I didn't care about. Nonetheless, I liked it. The art was simple, but worked really well, some of the ideas were cool, and it was funny.

It was also educational, as I know
Sereneblaze
Megatokyo is a bit of a random, punny webcomic series that follow two American otakus who after a series of mishaps end up stuck in Japan having to learn how to fend themselves. Soon the comic series does gain more of a manga feel vs the it's original comic strip start.

Both Largo and Piro are fun and interesting characters... in their own very distinct way.

A lot happens in Megatokyo. There's quite a bit of storylines going on that sometimes it's kinda hard to keep track of all them.

However it'
Ash Ketchum
Mar 08, 2014 Ash Ketchum rated it really liked it
For one of my first paperback manga, I really enjoyed it. The story is cute with great characters and it is originally English so you read it left to right! (manga readers will understand). Anyways, it follows a story of two nerds, Largo and Piro, as they buy one way tickets to Japan for an E2 convention and end up not having enough money to get home. With the realism and some absurdities this manga packs just the right mix of funny and charming into a story. Plus, it is also an on going web ...more
Rickie
Aug 10, 2015 Rickie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished-reading
One of my favorite manga series of all time. The art is great that only gets better with each volume, combined with the growth of characters and their artwork reflects said growth. There are characters that just cling to you, and there might be characters that just rub you off the wrong way, but every scene in each page is delightful to read, and this is one series I keep on following online and loyally await for the next print to keep supporting the series.
Kay
Jul 31, 2012 Kay rated it really liked it
This series is very entertaining. This first volume is a bit more uneven than the following ones, because the author was still working out the character, plot, style, and all the rest, so I'd recommend reading at least the first two volumes to make your decision. I'm exceedingly glad I took it home from the library, even though the bare outline of the story didn't seem like a guaranteed fit for me. But I found it to be a lot of fun right from the start.
Christine
Jan 18, 2016 Christine rated it really liked it
A quick entertaining read about two nerds trying to successfully live their lives. If you are a gamer and into anime, the humor and concepts are quite relatable. I forget how funny gamer humor can be in the right situation. The side comments about each segment is another comic all on its own. I thought I would get tired of it, but it really added to the story. It was nice to have all three of my hobbies rolled into one: gaming, anime, and reading. Can't wait to start the next book!
Jorge Giménez
Nov 16, 2012 Jorge Giménez rated it really liked it
Good art, and interesting characters help drive the story along. Volume 1 does see some change as the author changes the format to a more manga style, but it's for the best.

The fact that the two main characters are gamers lost in Japan is great, but also how all the characters are introduced and how they all have their own lives adds to the story.
carl
Mar 22, 2007 carl rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
this manga is the fun romp kind. as the series progresses there are some quite touching moments though and the reader should keep their heart and eyes open.
i have the feeling that there is a lot of fred (the author) in this series. if that's the case he's the kind of guy id like to end up stranded in tokyo with (the base for the plot).
Jessica
Mar 19, 2013 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, favorites
Amazingly hilarious, that is all I got to say. The storyline is rather fun and the characters have personalities that may start out generic but are actually have small bits that make them there own. Nothing is rather cookie cutter and I would actually like having friends like the characters from this manga. It's not bad for a american created Manga strip.
Mark
Jul 13, 2007 Mark rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ya like good webcomics?
Shelves: comics
I've been reading this one online. Really good manga style (semi)American comic. It takes place in Tokyo (go figure) and has romance, comedy, zombies and throngs of adoring fans trying to attack the object of their adoration. Oh, and two helpless geeks who are stuck in Tokyo and trying to make the best of it. Here's hoping that Piro and Largo never make enough money to go home.
ladywallingford
Jun 07, 2012 ladywallingford rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Hooked from the first comic...

*******************************

Oddly enough, when I originally read this book, I had every intention of starting the second one soon after. I never did. Finally, when I did feel the itch to read the series again, I felt I had to re-read the first book. I'm still hooked. I love the creators' sense of humor.
David
Jul 06, 2009 David rated it it was amazing
I've followed Megatokyo online for years. And, like all the webcomics I read, I read through the entire archives to catch up with the current storyline. Some of the things that are coming back into play now reference material in Chapter 0 that I'd totally forgotten about. Having it in hard copy is totally worth it.
Karla
Apr 01, 2008 Karla rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: gamers, Japanese manga fans
Shelves: graphic-novels
I know guys like Piro and Largo which is what made this little book of collected webcomics so funny. Gamers/manga fans will enjoy this. Although, I didn't get all the jokes...but that didn't really matter. It was still funny. I liked the illustrator's comments about the process of creating the webcomic and I look forward to seeing how it evolves in the next few volumes.
Cassa
Apr 07, 2008 Cassa rated it it was amazing
Read it online at http://www.megatokyo.com/ and decided this was a comic/artist/mangaka I wanted to support, so I took to buying it in paperback. If you like the comic, I urge you to support the artist.
Samantha
Aug 13, 2016 Samantha rated it liked it
I read this because it was a big deal, seminal whatever, but I tell ya, I can't remember a thing about it. I never was moved to pick up the next volume. not my scene. I'm not a manga fan in general, it turns out. which is ok.
Dani
Mar 31, 2014 Dani rated it it was ok
I can see why some people really like this webcomic and follow it with gusto. It just wasn't my style, and I'm not enough of a hardcore gamer to appreciate a whole slew of references. I enjoyed (and understand) the Japan/manga side of it.
Max
Sep 18, 2011 Max rated it really liked it
This was my least favorite of the series, mostly because it had no real plot. It was still hilarious, and the art was good. A good book overall.
Jerry
Jan 28, 2013 Jerry rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
I like Gallagher's art style and the early goings of his webcomic are amusing, but I felt no apprehension for selling it off a couple of years ago.
David
Sep 19, 2010 David rated it liked it
Shelves: graphical, manga
First in the series, leaves something to be desired but as a first release it was pretty good. Enjoyable but not perfect.
Webcomic Wonderland: August - MegaTokyo 7 8 Aug 06, 2013 05:10AM
no such thing 1 10 Nov 09, 2007 09:24AM
  • Love Hina, Vol. 03
  • Penny Arcade Volume 5: The Case Of The Mummy's Gold
  • Dramacon, Vol. 2
  • Azumanga Daioh Vol. 1 (Azumanga Daioh, #1)
  • Ranma 1/2, Vol. 10 (Ranma ½ (US 2nd), #10)
  • Shirahime-Syo