Start by marking “Anne Boleyn” as Want to Read:
Anne Boleyn

Anne Boleyn

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Marie Louise Bruce's account of Anne Boleyn's life and death is not very well-known nowadays but it was pre-eminent at the time it was published.

It covers her childhood and time in France, the divorce and her courtship with Henry VIII, her marriage and her tragic fall.
Published September 25th 1972 by Collins Publishers (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Anne Boleyn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anne Boleyn

This book is all about desire and power – Henry’s desire for Anne Boleyn, and Boleyn’s desire for power in the form of the throne, and being crowned Queen.

I found the first half of this book heavy going. But then the separation of Henry VIII from Catherine of Aragon was heavy going. An administrative and political nightmare that went on for six years – wonderfully documented here by Marie Louise Bruce - but a bit of a grind to read about. You can skip all the shenanigans and just get the bare b
I bought this book second hand as I am fascinated with everything related to Anne Boleyn and I thought it would be an interesting read. The book was published in 1972, almost twenty years before Eric Ives definitive book on Anne Boleyn. I was curious as to what Marie Louise Brue had to say about Anne Boleyn and her fascinating life.

I have to admit that initially I was a little put off by what Marie Louise Bruce wrote about Anne Boleyn as it appeared that she struggled to gather her facts togeth
I have been thinking a lot about this book since I finished it. It was profoundly sad. Anne was simply an instrument of her father and uncle's political aspirations. In the beginning, she didn't even care for Henry, and she really never had a say in any of it.

After waiting for nearly 6 years to marry, she was dead (by Henry and her own father's hands) only 3 years after their marriage.

This book was written by a young female historian in 1955. I really enjoyed her tone. I could tell that the auth
Helene Harrison
ISBN? - 9780330243489

General Subject/s? - History / Biography / Tudors

Title? - A simple title referring to the subject: Anne Boleyn, the second wife of Henry VIII.

General Analysis? - Marie Louise Bruce's book was one of the first full-length biographies of Anne Boleyn, and as such it was revolutionary at the time. But with all of the literature that has been published since on the topic, it looks outdated. But it does offer useful insights on the original opinions which historians had, and the e
I really enjoyed this book. I usually fly through books, but ended up reading a few others between chapters of this one. I think it was the futility I needed a break from. The poor girl was doomed, we knew it from page one, but it was made so much more apparent, and you feel so sorry for her. What hell it would be, to be the pawn (one of many) in her family's lives. She was allowed to make almost no choices for herself. The few she does, go horribly awry, or she is punished in some way. Pitiful.
Victoria Johnston
A good overview of Anne Boleyn's life. There are now better modern biographies but this was an interesting read. She did paint Anne as a not particularly nice person in many respects- and who is to say that this isn't correct but the author clearly had a good grasp of her subject matter.

An interesting read for fans of Anne who want to gain as many different viewpoints of her as possible.
She was most certainly put in a difficult place to become the king's mistriss and be cast aside when she wanted nothing to do with him.
She was able to stay a virgin for six years while he pursued her. and eleven months after their marriage he was already bedding someone else.
the woman couldn't win. She was nothing more than a conquest to him.
This was an informative and well written biography, not too dry and very enjoyable. It is a little old so historians' perspectives may have changed a little since then but it still related all the facts in a very fair and even manner. It neither protrayed her as a villian or a saint, it seemed like a real portrayal.
Cathy DuPont
At the time reading anything I could find on Henry VIII and his six wives. This book was particularly well written and 'you were there.' Loved it.
Same old same old. Mostly hearsay and speculation fueled by the Catholic Church.
Lindsie Mitchell
Lindsie Mitchell marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Melissa marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Cac5054 marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
Juliew. marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Valentine Morgenstern
Valentine Morgenstern marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Paula marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
Cyndi McGinnes
Cyndi McGinnes marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Krissy marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Joy marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Natasa marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Dessy marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Annette Ahrens
Annette Ahrens marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Alix marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Marv marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Meadow marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Joanna marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015