Start by marking “The Ancestors” as Want to Read:

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  278 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Published December 1st 2008 by Dafina

To ask other readers questions about The Ancestors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ancestors

Wild Seed by Octavia E. ButlerParable of the Sower by Octavia E. ButlerFledgling by Octavia E. ButlerWho Fears Death by Nnedi OkoraforKindred by Octavia E. Butler
African American Science Fiction
24th out of 152 books — 90 voters
The Color Purple by Alice WalkerI Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya AngelouBeloved by Toni MorrisonInvisible Man by Ralph EllisonThe Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm X
Black History Month
100th out of 302 books — 333 voters

More lists with this book...

Parallax
The Ancestors is a collection of three lengthy short stories. L.A. Banks' is an urban dark fantasy that's mostly set up and exposition for the last five pages where the trouble starts. It ends with a tacked on epilogue. Brandon Massey's short story about a writer looking into his family roots, and discovering the family secret is predictable.

Tananarive Due's short story about a boy and his sister going visiting his grandparents' town where there are ghosts every summer is brilliant and packs a
Danelle
I loved all three stories, but the first was my favorite. Time travel and demons are always a good read. The second one was about vampires so you know i loved that, and the third touched on racisim, and a girl like me loves a good ghost story. Overall these were great stories, and i would recommend them to anyone who loves to read horror novels, or short stories.
K. Williams
The Ancestors is a trio of short stories all revolving around the theme of ancestry. The fist story by LA Banks, Ev'ry Shut Eye Ain't Sleep is the story of a man who seems to be traumatized by what he's seen in war, but we come to find out that the war he's been involved in is one of the supernatural nature and that he is the protector of the woman who is the granddaughter of a spiritual elder who has given him shelter and board in return for work at his antiques store. The young man is taught s ...more
Mary
Jul 09, 2009 Mary rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: sf-f
A collection of three ghost stories based on African American history and folklore.
By far my favorite in this collection was Tananrive Due's "Ghost Summer." I would give it 4 stars on its own. In this story, a boy on the edge of adolescence spends the summer at his grandparents' house chasing ghosts and trying to solve an old, sad mystery while at the same time trying to cope with the news of his parents' impending divorce.
The first story (L.A. Banks' Ev'ry Shut Eye Ain't Sleep) started off wel
Bill
Tananarive Due is one of the best horror writers out there, and her story, "Ghost Summer," is absolutely brilliant.

Unfortunately for this collection, and literature in general, L.A. Banks has got to be one of the worst writers who has ever been published. I really don't understand her appeal. I read Minion years ago and have been infuriated at her very existence ever since. Her short story, "The Sentinel," simply makes no sense. I couldn't even begin to describe it because it ultimately isn't ab
C.C. Solomon
Finally finished this book. Took me waaay too long because, frankly I lost interest. I did not care for the first LA banks story, Brandon Massey's picked up the pace a little better but was VERY predictable. Now Tananavarie Due was great but she always is.
Rob
I enjoyed all three stories in the book and found myself wishing each story was a novel Both Brandon and Tananerive Due are such great writers and i enjoy their insights into the African American experience.
Sian Jones
My rating of 3 stars represents an average rating for the three stories contained in this collection. I found the ideas in the first two stories fascinating, but the craft wasn't quite there -- there were issues of pacing and plot holes, etc. On the other hand, the final story, "Ghost Summer," by Tananarive Due, has all I want out of a ghost story. It is solidly, even beautifully crafted, with a fully-embodied plot and skillful pacing. It makes the generalities of larger history into something p ...more
Audrey
Horror literature. The tales are rich, and chilling and the writing is terrific. I want more!
Christy
Three short stories...last one was my favorite.
Darlene
I enjoyed this, especially Ghost Summer
RachelvlehcaR
The first story: Ev'ry Shut Eye Ain't Sleep by L.A. Banks is slow in the beginning. About one family's family line and it's a supernatural war of good vs. evil. The ending is very rushed and feels like it could have been a longer story so it doesn't feel like it was forced. One of the line in last chapter reminded me of Huey Lewis and the News, The Power of Love. ;) Can you tell I was an 80's kid?

The second story: The Patriarch by Brandon Massey is very slow all the way thought. I wasn't into it
Adam
This book was not bad. All of the stories were very well written. They all are able to capture a time and place very effectively and for the most part had interesting characters. In the first two stories I found a little more fault with them though.

The first one had very nice language in it but the premise was so old that I am bored retelling it here. A man who is a war veteran and has PTSD and is seeing visions of demons is in fact seeing demons. I think we all see that coming and it's just ki
Ahluminati
The stories seem to be put in order from worst to best.
Banks' story was trite and boring. I almost quit reading the whole book because it was so uninteresting. The story might've been better told if written in novel form because there was so much background that needed to be explored but wasn't. The time jump was anticlimactic and seemed like a rushed ending to a story the author didn't feel like telling.

Massey's story was better because it was actually interesting but the ending was too neat
Adrienna
I so wanted to like this book because of the authors aforementioned but tried to read each story, and the opening and early parts couldn't grab my attention and even skipped to the end.

Leisure read 2014
Sylvia
I loved all of the shorts, but was a bit disappointed the Banks short ended kind of abruptly.
Jeanne Ruczhak-Eckman
I grabbed this book solely on the title. The book did not fulfill my completely off based preconceived ideas. However, I did read the three short stories through and found myself wanting to know what happened. Normally ghosts and the supernatural are something I have little to no interest in, but I have to admit the stories were each well crafted. Overall, I found them to be intriguing suspenseful stories.
Karen
Oct 23, 2013 Karen added it
I am becoming a fan of sci-fi genre. These three stories were quite entriguing and kept the pages turning all dealing with past ancestors. My favorite was Brandon Massey's THE PATRIARCH was my favorite. I will read more of Mr. Massey's novels. This was my book club's book for the month of October. Give these short stories a chance!!
Ade Oluyemisi
Loved Summer Ghost because it took me into the pages... could see, hear and taste the events as the young man went on his journey of discovery and that fact that he gave his grandmother the proof of what she knew to be true. Also my intro to L. A. Banks and Brandon Massey. Looking forward to reading more of their works.
Kath
Very disappointing. Poor writing. I only made it through the first two stories and couldn't bring myself to continue.
Lauren
I read the book because I love Brandon Massey; however I am not a fan of the short story reads. I prefer a novel.
Linda Boyd
I liked this book, it was written by 3 authors and they each wrote a short story using the same subject.
Dora
Sonar4 Ezine published my review of this book here.
Mattie
Really enjoyed all three stories but I liked Ghost Summer the most. It really tugged at my heart.
Jennifer Sigafoos
Jennifer Sigafoos marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
  • My Soul to Take (African Immortals, #4)
  • The Thirteenth (Vampire Huntress Legend, #12)
  • Creepin'
  • Dark Matter: Reading the Bones
  • Casanegra (Tennyson Hardwick, #1)
Here’s a little about me, Brandon Massey. (“Massey” is not pronounced “macy,” by the way. Think of “mass” instead.)

I was born June 9, 1973, in Waukegan, Illinois. I grew up in Zion, a suburb north of Chicago.

I originally self-published Thunderland, my first novel, in 1999. After managing to sell a few thousand copies on my own, Kensington Publishing Corp. in New York offered me a two-book contract
More about Brandon Massey...
Dark Corner Within the Shadows Don't Ever Tell The Other Brother Dark Dreams: A Collection of Horror and Suspense by Black Writers