Start by marking “Nuclear Winter Wonderland” as Want to Read:
Nuclear Winter Wonderland

Nuclear Winter Wonderland

An underachieving college kid has six days to save the world from atomic annihilation in this offbeat tale about a frenzied race from the icy Pocono Mountains to the dark heart of Walt Disney World. It all begins as Adam Weiss and his sister Anna head home to New Jersey for winter break. Pulling into a highway rest stop, they are confronted suddenly by a lunatic nuclear te ...more
Published October 1st 2008 by Kunati Inc. (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Nuclear Winter Wonderland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nuclear Winter Wonderland

Pamela Pickering
Aug 09, 2012 Pamela Pickering rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sonya, Matt, Angie, Molly
Recommended to Pamela by: found it at a Library book sale
3.75 stars Adam is having a really tough time of it. What more ludicrous, awful thing can happen to him? Yes, though ludicrous, it is quite a fun novel. Who can pass up a book that touts a Spanish speaking, Croatian clown as one of its main characters.

If you're into deep books this will not be one for you, but if you like rollicking WTH!? adventures or just need a light read this one could find a spot on your bookshelf. A little gruesome and violent at times but not overly so.
Joshua
Jun 11, 2008 Joshua rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Um...I wrote it.
Kelly
Alissa
Jan 12, 2009 Alissa rated it really liked it
If you like off-the-wall books, like I do, then try this one. Along the lines of a Carl Hiassen, with intricate plot twists and completely implausibly situations and wild, over-the-top characters, Nuclear Winter Wonderland tells the story of a college student who has to save his sister (and the planet)from a nuclear terrorist.
Mollie
Oct 13, 2008 Mollie rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I almost put the book in the book drop after reading some of the "college freak out humor" as we used to call it in my improv. troupe..
but I was glad I kept reading. It ended up being really entertaining.
Lauren Padgett
Sep 09, 2008 Lauren Padgett rated it it was amazing
I never knew what to expect, no one person should ever experience everything the main character experiences in just a few days. The book was a wonderful read and I would recommend it to anyone who has ever thought they have had a bad day.
Craig
Mar 03, 2009 Craig rated it liked it
Entertaining enough story. I especially liked all the vegas action and background. In the end, I kept tossing it aside for other things, but man, talk about a bad day.
Kristie
Oct 09, 2008 Kristie rated it really liked it
I don't usually like this type of book. But, this kept me interested on every last word til the end. Very off the wall and exciting! A great quick read.
Mihir
Jul 02, 2010 Mihir rated it really liked it
It's a little hard to believe that this is Joshua Corin's freshman effort. I got to know of this book thanks to the International Thriller Writers website. The first three chapters of this book are available as a free pdf download. Once I read those chapters, I knew I had to read the rest of the book as well.

The story revolves around a madman who captures the twin sister of the protagonist & dares the protagonist to capture him in 7 days or he'll bring the end of the world by unleashing a nu
Kim (Wistfulskimmies Book Reviews)
This is the story of Adam. On the way to his Uncle's funeral, his twin sister Anna is abducted by a lunatic hell bent on setting off 12 nuclear bombs on Christmas Eve. Chaos then ensues as Adam hunts for Anna. In his quest he teams up with a church robbing mobster called Filbert and a Croatian clown called Cherry Sundae who appears to only speak Spanish. Along the way he meets all manner of weird and wonderful people, some who help and some who hinder him in his search for his sister.

This was on
steven
Mar 14, 2009 steven rated it liked it
According to the cover, this is going to be turned into a movie. IMDB has nothing, so it's possible someone bought up the rights to it without any actual pre-production. Or it could be out by 2012; hard to say.

Simple premise: self-absorbed college twenty-something, on his way to a relative's funeral, picks up his sister and heads off on an overland cross-country trip. On the way, he pulls in to a rest stop, and his car gets hijacked -- with his sister still inside. From there, he finds it within
BoekenTrol
Feb 09, 2010 BoekenTrol rated it it was ok
Recommended to BoekenTrol by: minesayn
I am not very fond of this book. It is not really badly written, that's not a point.
What I have a problem with, is that the main character gets into stange events again and again and again... The start of the book is good, it made me curious for what would follow. But when the story continues, more strange characters occur, who want something, need something or try to harm him too.
All in all the mountain of events, strange things and the fact that the main character is distracted from his main
Melinda
Mar 19, 2012 Melinda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Bizarre, Funny, Laugh out Loud from start to finish..
I went into this book blind, having purchased it as a freebie for Kindle. It turned out to be one of the most enjoyable books I've read.... and I read a lot.
Well written, great plot, crazy cast of characters, bizarre twists and turns. I was laughing out loud a couple minutes after I began reading and was still laughing when I came to the end.
I read on Wikipedia there were plans to make this book into a movie. It will be interesting to see who
Andrew
Nov 21, 2009 Andrew rated it it was amazing
I bought this book based strictly on the title, so I wasn't expecting much. Boy, was I delightfully surprised. The plot goes something like this: slacker frat boy Adam is driving with his sister back home for the holidays, a crazy nuclear terrorist kidnaps the sister, a wild chase to Disney World ensues. There is also a clown. The clown is a woman. The woman speaks Spanish. There are also twelve nuclear warheads set to go at midnight on New Year's Eve. If you think all this sounds terribly silly ...more
Grant Feltis
Mar 17, 2012 Grant Feltis rated it it was ok
This is one of those books where after the first chapter I thought I would be leaving a 4 star review, if only I had simply stopped reading then and there. When I reached the end of the book the only points of redemption I could find were that it was well written, in a technical sense, and the early chapters are compelling enough to trick the reader into continuing on. There is something to be said for a story holding a reader's attention long enough to where they will finish the book, but anyth ...more
Heather
Apr 09, 2012 Heather rated it did not like it
Oh my god, I'm not even sure I can put a positive spin on this book. I didn't want to finish this book and I forced myself to. I feel that the book was poorly written. The author felt the need to have to be incredibly redundant. He'd state a sentence, then do another sentence, only to repeat the first sentence immediately afterwards. Did he have a character count he needed to reach? On top of the poorly written book, the language in the book was incredibly vulgar and foul. I was glad when I was ...more
Justin
Dec 04, 2011 Justin rated it really liked it
Whenever I'd read some funny comment, I thought "yep, that's Mr. Corin from class!" He was my theatre appreciation teacher-- a good one, I might add! In fact, he actually talked about this book in class one day-- he said "it deals with a Spanish speaking clown..."(etc). But aside from the slight bias, this was a good book. It was funny, it kind of dragged at the beginning before the action came. I would LOVE a sequel to see what happens with Anna and her brother (sorry- don't have the book right ...more
Wright Gres
May 20, 2009 Wright Gres rated it it was amazing
I recently read NUCLEAR WINTER WONDERLAND, not because it was my usual fare, but because I met the author and was intrigued. I really enjoyed the book.  I thought it was a delightful combination of adventure and 'quirky.'
Did I say I really enjoyed it?
Congratulations to the author on the movie and the new book deal. I'll look forward to the movie to see how the producers handle this one.
After reading Booklist's raving review of this, I thought I'd be in for a great Good Omens-ish funny nuclear apocolypse type read. After investing myself in about 60 pages of it, I abandoned thorough reading in favor of skimming to see if started to look up. Eeh. The absurd humor and frat boy protaganist just didn't appeal to me. Just couldn't get into it.
Nancy Brady
Jan 14, 2010 Nancy Brady rated it it was amazing
One of the wackiest books that I have read recently...you might call it the "Napoleon Dynamite" of books! Just when you might think you've got it figured out, expect the unexpected! It was bizarre and I couldn't put it down. This is not family values as the moral majority defines it, yet Adam's rescue of his sister Anna is all that and more. Definitely worth a read!
Jenn
Dec 17, 2013 Jenn rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Gym reading. This one was interesting enough, but I didn't love it. In the last 1/3, I was skipping quite a bit of the prose that seemed to go on and on and lead nowhere. I didn't really feel much of anything for any of the characters. I know this book is absurd on purpose, but I still just didn't like any of the characters. Meh.
Larry Kahn
Jun 11, 2011 Larry Kahn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book took suspension of disbelief to an odd new level--creepy frat kid saves the world from nuclear annihilation--but I actually enjoyed it immensely. I even read it in three sittings. The creepy frat kid's voice is irreverent and unique, and the unusual turns made me smile. The ebook version was littered with typos, though, which took away from the experience a little.
Gary
Feb 20, 2011 Gary rated it it was amazing
What a lot of fun this book was! It never let up right to the end. The characters are well developed and Corin has a lot of funny things come out of their mouths.
If you have a problem with people staring at you because you are laughing out loud then you should read this book in the privacy of your home.
And as an extra bonus-it makes for good holiday (Christmas) reading!
Maria Lawson
Aug 22, 2012 Maria Lawson rated it really liked it
A funny dark comedy that if you wrote it as a screenplay it would work well in the same format as Pulp Fiction. The characters are over the top and the way they reconnect with each other is seriously farfetched but it works. At least it did for me.
Karyn
Dec 08, 2008 Karyn added it
This okay; not as interesting as advertised on the cover. Each chapter ended in a cliffhanger so in that respect it was hard to put down. But that is a cheap attempt at keeping readers on the part of the author, IMO. It was worth the read, but barely.
Patricia
Jun 07, 2010 Patricia rated it really liked it
I loved this absurd, quirky book. There are some novelsthat are so predictable that I can guess how they'll end, not with this book. It was unpredictable from the beginning and kept me hooked until the end.
Susan
May 25, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This totally oddball story kept me amused for a couple of days. I couldn't wait to see what would befall Adam next.

All in all, I found this to be a quirky tale, another of the surreal humour books I like so much.
Rebecca
May 11, 2009 Rebecca rated it really liked it
I loved this completely absurd romp through the United States with a slacker, a Spanish-speaking Croatian clown of mystery, and a cast of other oddballs as they try to save or destroy the planet.
Maryanne
Nuclear Winter Wonderland 121608 by Joshua Corin
Timothy Haas
Jun 07, 2013 Timothy Haas rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Loved the many plot twists, very well worth reading.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • A Touch of Night
  • From Within
  • Half Past Midnight
  • A Regency Holiday
  • The Devil's Daughter (Devil to Pay, #1)
  • Her Master's Touch
  • Before Roe v. Wade: Voices that Shaped the Abortion Debate Before the Supreme Court's Ruling
  • The Truth about Getting the Best from People (Truth about)
  • Subtle Magic (Subtle Lovers, #1)
  • Heirs of Mars
  • Young Lord of Khadora (Forgotten Legacy, #1)
  • Eon's Door
  • The Beard
  • Eulogy's Secret (The Huntley Trilogy #1)