Start by marking “The Lost Boys” as Want to Read:
The Lost Boys

The Lost Boys

A mother and her two sons move to a small coast town in California. The town is plagued by bikers and some mysterious deaths. The younger boy, Sam, makes friends with two other boys, the Frogg brothers, who claim to be vampire hunters. Meanwhile the older boy, Michael, is drawn into the gang of bikers by a beautiful girl named Star. Michael starts sleeping days and staying ...more
Published August 1st 1987 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Boys, please sign up.

Keara Dougherty The movie was released on July 31, 1987, while the book was published the day after, on August 1. It's very likely they were written/filmed…moreThe movie was released on July 31, 1987, while the book was published the day after, on August 1. It's very likely they were written/filmed simultaneously.(less)

Terence
Feb 10, 2010 Terence rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to Terence by: I liked the movie
Shelves: horror-gothic
I don't think I even finished this book.

I like to read adaptations of movies I like because I like to know backstory, motivations, the things the director/editor left on the cutting-room floor (Alan Dean Foster is particularly good at this, and Vonda McIntyre's adaptations of ST-II and -III genuinely add to the stories).

Gardner offered none of these - it was a word-for-word transcription of the script without even an attempt to flesh things out.
Leighjane
Jan 07, 2012 Leighjane rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing book! The Lost Boys is my favourite movie, and if you love the movie as much as I do, you need this book in your life! It's very true to the film and even has a few creepy extras thrown in! Addictive read, I read it in a day because I couldn't put it down! Highly recommended.
Tanya
Mar 16, 2015 Tanya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vampires
i love it especially how it stuck to the movie but with extras they were awesome a very good read
Beau Johnston
Mar 01, 2014 Beau Johnston rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, vampire
I bought this book because the movie was one of my favorite movies in the 80s (a movie about vampires who ride motorbikes, AND a kick-ass soundtrack - how could I resist?).

This is a good movie-tie.

They don't sparkle, they don't mope.....they feed.
Christian Blackwell
Sep 09, 2014 Christian Blackwell rated it it was amazing
First saw the movie when I was five saw it and loved it read it an loved it more sleep all day party all night it's fun to be a vampire
Jorie
Oct 04, 2016 Jorie rated it it was ok
When I fell in love with a movie from 1987, I found myself wanting to become further involved in a world which had its parameters finely and firmly set nearly thirty odd years ago. I cringed through viewings of cheap sequels, sought out promising albeit abandoned spec scripts, and still cling to the promise of comics to come--all to leave no stone unturned in the world of "The Lost Boys". I was overjoyed when I found the film's novelization. Upon reading it, not so much.

The folly of tie-in novel
Rebecca
This has always been one of my favourite films and I was really pleased when I found the tie-in novel for it. I saw the film again recently and it reminded me that I had the book on my shelf.

I really enjoyed this adaptation of the film. It stuck to the film well and flowed really well and brought the film back to me as I was reading it. If you like the film I see no reason why you shouldn't enjoy the book as well.

4 stars - a good film adaptation.
danny
Jul 27, 2014 danny rated it did not like it
This was pretty terrible, even for a novelization. You can tell that it was a rushed job, it's basically the script of the film with some touch ups. There's almost nothing added except for a few unnecessary scenes with Micheal eating a mouse and trying to take a shower but the water burns him. There's also a lot of errors. One moment Edgar has a slingshot, and then they call it a shotgun. Dwayne and Paul are switched during the final fight. Some crucial lines in the script are thrown out without ...more
Bethany
Mar 31, 2016 Bethany rated it it was amazing
Wonderful wonderful wonderful!! This is the way I like vampires. They burn in the sun and they sleep in caves, not in some wonderful cabin in the woods Ahem TWILIGHT! This is a wonderful book that I like to read all the time I would be sitting on the couch in my living room reading this book and my mother woulds ask me haven't you already read that book and I would say yes I have but I still like to read it!
Jaimie
Dec 25, 2014 Jaimie marked it as to-read
I don't think I actually want to read this but as the movie is so beloved to me and I literally just stumbled upon this I'll put this here as a reminder.
Beryll Brackhaus
Beryll Brackhaus rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2011
Ceara
Ceara rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2016
mary slate
mary slate rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2016
Laura Robinson
Laura Robinson rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Ashleigh
Ashleigh rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Ani Gonzalez
Ani Gonzalez rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2013
Michele L. Shea
Michele L. Shea rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
Tiffany Whitfield
Tiffany Whitfield rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2016
Rox-Ann
Rox-Ann rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2012
Rebbie
Rebbie rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2015
Sarah B
Sarah B rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2014
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Brandon Hale
Brandon Hale rated it really liked it
May 16, 2012
Krysten
Krysten rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2015
Rob Motta
Rob Motta rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2016
Derek Hynes
Derek Hynes rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2013
Dillion
Dillion rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2013
Kasey Kay
Kasey Kay rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2016
A
A rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2013
Dustin Raymond
Dustin Raymond rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Blood Toy
  • The Darkest Tool
  • Legends of the Crypt (Molly Maddison #2)
  • Buffy: The High School Years - Freaks & Geeks (Buffy: The High School Years, #1)
  • The Devious Dr. Jekyll (Electric Empire, #2)
  • Nightmarescape
  • London Steam
  • The Night House
  • The Coolest Way to Kill Yourself
  • The Tegen Cave
  • Slippery Souls (Sunray Bay, #1)
  • The Hunter's Companion (Familiars, #1)
  • Being Mrs. Dracula
  • Hand of Miriam: A Bayla and the Golem Novel
  • An Unremembered Grave
  • Sanguis City Prequels
  • Darkness Descends: A Skye Faden Novel
  • The Witch's Vampire (Mystery Springs #1)
Craig Shaw Gardner was born in Rochester, New York and lived there until 1967, when he moved to Boston, MA to attend Boston University. He graduated from Boston University with a Bachelor's of Science degree in Broadcasting and Film. He has continued to reside in Boston since that time.

He published his first story in 1977 while he held a number of jobs: shipper/receiver for a men's suit manufactu
More about Craig Shaw Gardner...