Start by marking “The Lost Boys” as Want to Read:
The Lost Boys

The Lost Boys

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  192 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
A mother and her two sons move to a small coast town in California. The town is plagued by bikers and some mysterious deaths. The younger boy, Sam, makes friends with two other boys, the Frogg brothers, who claim to be vampire hunters. Meanwhile the older boy, Michael, is drawn into the gang of bikers by a beautiful girl named Star. Michael starts sleeping days and staying ...more
Published August 1st 1987 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Boys, please sign up.

Keara Dougherty The movie was released on July 31, 1987, while the book was published the day after, on August 1. It's very likely they were written/filmed…moreThe movie was released on July 31, 1987, while the book was published the day after, on August 1. It's very likely they were written/filmed simultaneously.(less)

Terence
Feb 10, 2010 Terence rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to Terence by: I liked the movie
Shelves: horror-gothic
I don't think I even finished this book.

I like to read adaptations of movies I like because I like to know backstory, motivations, the things the director/editor left on the cutting-room floor (Alan Dean Foster is particularly good at this, and Vonda McIntyre's adaptations of ST-II and -III genuinely add to the stories).

Gardner offered none of these - it was a word-for-word transcription of the script without even an attempt to flesh things out.
Tanya
Mar 16, 2015 Tanya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vampires
i love it especially how it stuck to the movie but with extras they were awesome a very good read
Leighjane
Jan 07, 2012 Leighjane rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing book! The Lost Boys is my favourite movie, and if you love the movie as much as I do, you need this book in your life! It's very true to the film and even has a few creepy extras thrown in! Addictive read, I read it in a day because I couldn't put it down! Highly recommended.
Beau Johnston
Mar 01, 2014 Beau Johnston rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, vampire
I bought this book because the movie was one of my favorite movies in the 80s (a movie about vampires who ride motorbikes, AND a kick-ass soundtrack - how could I resist?).

This is a good movie-tie.

They don't sparkle, they don't mope.....they feed.
Jorie
Aug 08, 2016 Jorie rated it it was ok
When I fell in love with a movie from 1987, I found myself wanting to become further involved in a world which had its parameters finely and firmly set nearly thirty odd years ago. I cringed through viewings of cheap sequels, sought out promising albeit abandoned spec scripts, and still cling to the promise of comics to come--all to leave no stone unturned in the world of "The Lost Boys". I was overjoyed when I found the film's novelization. Upon reading it, not so much.

The folly of tie-in novel
Christian Blackwell
Sep 09, 2014 Christian Blackwell rated it it was amazing
First saw the movie when I was five saw it and loved it read it an loved it more sleep all day party all night it's fun to be a vampire
danny
Jul 27, 2014 danny rated it did not like it
This was pretty terrible, even for a novelization. You can tell that it was a rushed job, it's basically the script of the film with some touch ups. There's almost nothing added except for a few unnecessary scenes with Micheal eating a mouse and trying to take a shower but the water burns him. There's also a lot of errors. One moment Edgar has a slingshot, and then they call it a shotgun. Dwayne and Paul are switched during the final fight. Some crucial lines in the script are thrown out without ...more
Rebecca
This has always been one of my favourite films and I was really pleased when I found the tie-in novel for it. I saw the film again recently and it reminded me that I had the book on my shelf.

I really enjoyed this adaptation of the film. It stuck to the film well and flowed really well and brought the film back to me as I was reading it. If you like the film I see no reason why you shouldn't enjoy the book as well.

4 stars - a good film adaptation.
Bethany
Mar 31, 2016 Bethany rated it it was amazing
Wonderful wonderful wonderful!! This is the way I like vampires. They burn in the sun and they sleep in caves, not in some wonderful cabin in the woods Ahem TWILIGHT! This is a wonderful book that I like to read all the time I would be sitting on the couch in my living room reading this book and my mother woulds ask me haven't you already read that book and I would say yes I have but I still like to read it!
Jaimie
Dec 25, 2014 Jaimie marked it as to-read
I don't think I actually want to read this but as the movie is so beloved to me and I literally just stumbled upon this I'll put this here as a reminder.
Richard
Jan 27, 2014 Richard rated it liked it
some nice scenes that didn't make it into the film including michael eating a mouse. lots of fun
Jessica
Jul 23, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: brienas-books
Pretty much follows the movie exactly.
Shaunesay Eslanai
Sep 02, 2011 Shaunesay Eslanai rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite movies ever, my book copy is looking pretty well used too!
Jordian
Nov 03, 2011 Jordian rated it it was amazing
I love the movie and the book most fav!
Nicole
Jul 09, 2011 Nicole rated it it was amazing
This book was good and a little scary!
Jillian
Jul 03, 2013 Jillian rated it it was amazing
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Ann Brubakken
Ann Brubakken marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Rebecapastl
Rebecapastl rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2016
Debbie Bowen
Debbie Bowen marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Mark Andre' Haumont
Mark Andre' Haumont rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2016
Earicka
Earicka marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Steve Boltz
Steve Boltz marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Nithia
Nithia marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Siobhan
Siobhan marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Michaela
Michaela marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
  • Blood Toy
  • The Darkest Tool
  • Legends Of The Crypt (The Molly Maddison Series, #2)
  • Buffy: The High School Years - Freaks & Geeks (Buffy: The High School Years, #1)
  • The Devious Dr. Jekyll (Electric Empire, #2)
  • Nightmarescape
  • London Steam
  • The Night House
  • The Coolest Way to Kill Yourself
  • The Tegen Cave
  • Slippery Souls (Sunray Bay, #1)
  • The Hunter's Companion (Familiars, #1)
  • Being Mrs. Dracula
  • Hand of Miriam: A Bayla and the Golem Novel
  • An Unremembered Grave
  • Sanguis City Prequels
  • Darkness Descends: A Skye Faden Novel
  • The Witch's Vampire (Mystery Springs #1)
Craig Shaw Gardner was born in Rochester, New York and lived there until 1967, when he moved to Boston, MA to attend Boston University. He graduated from Boston University with a Bachelor's of Science degree in Broadcasting and Film. He has continued to reside in Boston since that time.

He published his first story in 1977 while he held a number of jobs: shipper/receiver for a men's suit manufactu
More about Craig Shaw Gardner...