Start by marking “Tempo Roubado” as Want to Read:
Tempo Roubado

Tempo Roubado

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  236 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
A história real e cativante de uma mulher inocente condenada à morte.
402 pages
Published 2008 (first published May 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Tempo Roubado, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tempo Roubado

Anna
"I now know from hard-earned experience that each of us, male or female, must at some point take responsibility for ourselves and our lives. That's the way it is. "

This is the biography of Sunny Jacobs, a woman who, at the age of 28 she was sentenced to death for her role in the murders of two policemen in Florida, a crime she never committed. Her death sentence was later commuted to life in prison, and in total, she spent seventeen years in jail, five of which were in solitary confinement. It i
Brenda
Jun 12, 2011 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A terribly heartbreaking tale of the justice system going horribly wrong! 17 years in jail for a crime she didn't commit...her boyfriend executed 2 years prior to the conviction being overturned! I read this some time ago, but the 'wrongness' of it all has stayed with me!
Steph Dinning
I believe that this is a great book and a really inspirational story, what happened to Sunny was devastating and to spend 20yrs in jail and to miss your children growing up is unthinkable and what her poor son went through just after the arrest,it makes me so angry that they were allowed to do that.

As a rule I never give up a book until it's finished and only the very rare one do I and sadly this was one of them. I read 170 something pages and while its started out interesting,her early life an
Melissa Mcintyre
Excellent book....I couldn't put it down! Had to force myself to stop reading and turn the light off and go to sleep at midnight after complaints from Hubby that he couldn't sleep with me reading with the light on! The lingering question after reading this book was 'how could she have been so naive?' Even at the end of the book we don't read of her pressing charges against him after all he did to her. So glad she managed to escape and it does seem to have matured her somewhat to the point she ha ...more
Mary Power
May 17, 2015 Mary Power rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sunny is an amazing person. Perhaps too trusting at times. Couldn't see myself running after Jesse with two small children, but as She said herself, He had something about him that drew women towards him. Hard to believe that a Country that's considers itself to be so sophisticated could have States led by such Corrupted Prosecuters. I think the death penalty is a lazy ass way of dealing with Crimes. This is a well worth read, it will make you mad and sad in equal measures, but Sunny is a person ...more
Inês
May 08, 2014 Inês rated it really liked it
A justiça americana. A pena de morte. A sobrevivência dentro de uma prisão. A força de uma mulher inocente perante um sistema que quis que ela fosse culpada à força. O amor - pelo companheiro/marido, pelos filhos, pelos pais. 17 anos de vida em pausa.
Gostei. Gostei bastante.

American justice. Death penalty. Survival in a prison. The streght of an innocent woman in a sistem that wanted her to be guilty at any cost. The love - for her husband, her children, her parents. 17 years paused.
I liked it.
Silvana
Cruzei-me com este livro na biblioteca por acaso. O seu título e a sua temática chamaram a minha atenção. Tempo Roubado traz-nos o relato na primeira pessoa de uma jovem, Sunny Jacobs, que é julgada e condenada por um crime do qual não é responsável. No primeiro julgamento, o casal Sunny e Jesse são condenados à morte.

As circunstâncias que conduzem à acusação deles são o resultado de uma personalidade imatura e um estilo de vida irresponsável. Sunny e Jesse viviam uma vida pouco estável e acaba
Jana
Jul 28, 2012 Jana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay so I haven't technically finished reading this book (I have decided to give up, because you know, it's never too late to quit).

At first I thought this book would be a fascinating book because I've been really interested in true crime and the US justice system and stuff lately, and it seemed like the book was everything I'd hoped it would be. then I got to around page 150-200. Oh. My. God. I really don't mean to come off as being rude or insensitive and I can't even imagine going to prison f
Wendy Collard
Feb 20, 2014 Wendy Collard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An incredibly moving account of one womans life in which she was wrongly convicted of a crime. Detailing her story throughout, you cannot help but emphasize with all the injustices both she and her partner faced. A hard hitting page turner which evokes your emotions. A sad story but also one of great courage, her attitude is truely remarkable considering.... I was recommended this book by a friend and in turn would also recommend to anyone.
Kellie Mackrell
Feb 27, 2016 Kellie Mackrell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had not heard about this case before reading this book so I found this fascinating. I was hooked from the first page right through to the last page but I did feel the ending was a little rushed. My heart goes out to Sunny, Jesse and their families.
Hannah
Jun 08, 2010 Hannah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an incredible story about one woman's amazing courage and strength in fighting for justice in Florida's corrupt legal system over three decades (late 70's, 80's and early 90's). Her survival instinct and ability to make do with whatever the prison system threw at her showed an amazing strength of character. However i felt the book dragged on too much and that some of the content was irrelevant to the storyline. I felt saddened by the way she was treated but delighted by her positive spir ...more
Belebe
Jan 07, 2014 Belebe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think Sunny Jacobs is an amazing woman too! She's always so positive and has such strong will power to stay the cause with HOPE and the wish to be with her children again.

I found it a little too draggy at times and some parts are not clearly linked, but I guess she wanted to weave in all the times and her feelings throughout her 17 years in prison. I felt really sorry for her for being punished for so long for something she didn't commit and for missing out all the years she could have spent
Lynn
May 02, 2010 Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A no-holds barred narrative which seriously questions the death penalty in the US. As you read through it you see how the case against Sunny and her partner, Jesse Tafero just falls apart on closer analysis. Her death sentence was commuted to life imprisonment, and eventually after almost 17 years the conviction was overturned as the original evidence was shown to be unreliable and insufficient. It was two years too late for Jesse though, he was executed despite the serious concerns about the ca ...more
Lauren Agnew
Mar 08, 2014 Lauren Agnew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book, although parts of it got a bit boring at times..but what did I expect she's in prison after all. Still worth a read to see how an innocent woman coped with being on death row and the many years before she got out.
Travis Bird
A true story and I was torn between pity and exasperation. The author's suffering in prison is compelling but I kept thinking that it was self-inflicted by a very poor choice of company. The boy friend who is put to death isn't a type I could muster much pity for - She tells how he cleared away his competition for her by encouraging her previous boyfriend to wreck himself on drugs...how sorry can I be that he got fried?
Louise
Apr 11, 2016 Louise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the beginning and ending parts of this book, but as a lot of people said, the middle bit dragged. I appreciate that must have been nothing to what 17yrs in prison was like, but it was very samey to read. Tragic story that I'm glad I read, but I did flick though a lot of the prison years as it got a bit boring to read
Susan Mccloskey
Jun 12, 2013 Susan Mccloskey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought that Sunny related her experiences and time spent incarcerated quite well. There were moments when I shed tears and could relate to her feelings and anxiousness relating to the American Judicial system. All in all it was well worth the read.
Yasmin
Oct 24, 2012 Yasmin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i think it was a good book and you would like it if you are the type of person who likes to read autobiographies, sad and someone who has been wrongfully sent to jail and their familly has been torwn apart. in the end hough it is wonderful.
Tammy
Jul 28, 2011 Tammy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book starts off slow but gets much better. It's a scary story, scary that something like this could actually happen. I don't think I could come out of this ordeal and embrace life the way Sunny Jacobs did.
Missy Cahill
An interesting story but far too long. I felt her actual description of what happened that day didnt come clearly across to the reader. She dealt with it in one chapter and was never fully reviewed again.
Kylie
Jul 26, 2008 Kylie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I cannot imagine what this woman has been through over the years. You can't help thinking how incredibly naive she was but you have to admire her strength of spirit.
Luke Charles
Feb 23, 2009 Luke Charles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant book of true life tale of huge sorrow and suffering.Hardly anyone besides the author could have coped with what befell her.Inspirational novel to read.
Sandra Mackintosh
Apr 24, 2012 Sandra Mackintosh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: secondary
A true story about a lady named Sonny Jacob who was wrongly accused of murder and imprisoned for 17 yrs
Grade 10
Lisa
this shows a woman who has been in jail for 17 years and who shows courage,strengh and determination to get through it.
Christine
Dec 27, 2013 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Brilliant!!
Natalie
I enjoyed this much more then I thought I would and got very teary at the end. Very interesting book.
Kate
Aug 05, 2011 Kate rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting insight into a world few of us visit, or survive to write about.
Angela Joyce
This is another one I can't adequately describe, but urge you strongly to read.
Tanya
Jun 26, 2008 Tanya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As far as true stories go this one if good but dragged on a bit.
Michelle Proudman
Feb 10, 2013 Michelle Proudman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book and story. The adversity and strength is inspiring
  • Cannibal Killers: The Real Life Flesh Eaters and Blood Drinkers (True Crime)
  • Kaitlyn
  • Out of the Dark
  • Barra Creek
  • House Arrest
  • Beneath the Thirteen Moons
  • To the Is-land: An Autobiography (Autobiography, #1)
  • Fractured
  • Crystal Doors (Crystal Doors, #1)
  • Living with Ghosts
  • Mummy, Come Home: The True Story Of A Mother Kidnapped And Torn From Her Children
  • Flight of the Dragonfly
  • Unloved: The True Story of a Stolen Childhood
  • Das Scheißleben meines Vaters, das Scheißleben meiner Mutter und meine eigene Scheißjugend
  • Daisy Bates in the Desert: A Woman's Life Among the Aborigines