What If the Zebras Lost Their Stripes?

What If the Zebras Lost Their Stripes?

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Readers young and old will be enchanted by this imaginative and appealing book. With provocative questions and strikingly beautiful artwork, this book will surely trigger valuable family discussions about the joy of embracing and celebrating the magnificence that is inherent in our diversity.

Book Details: Format: Hardcover Publication Date: 9/1/1998 Pages: 32 Reading Level...more
Published May 1st 1998 by Paulist Press (first published January 1998)

To ask other readers questions about What If the Zebras Lost Their Stripes?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What If the Zebras Lost Their Stripes?

Slayermel
This story is about what would happen if Zebra’s lost their stripes and some where black and some were white. Would they still get along and be friends? Would they still be allowed to play together or would they be segregated to different lands?
I bought this book because it was part of a package being sold through Scholastic for black history month. I don’t think I would have bothered buying it on my own. Working with preschool and Kindergarten children, I find this topic of black and white segr...more
Lisa Carroll
I chose this picture book because it is a very simple story yet it has a very poignant message. This book might not work well in the public school system because it deals with God and religion. My son attends a private, Catholic school and this book would be appropriate at a setting such as his school. It's important that children learn from an early age that even though we might look different with one another, we need to celebrate our commonalities. We need to teach respect. A simple story suc...more
Crystal
I really liked the message of this book, which is to show children in a very simple way that no matter a persons color, we are all Gods creation. It teaches that superficial qualities like the color we see on the outside doesn't matter when it comes to acceptance and friendship. The zebras, whether they are black or white, are still zebras, just as people are still people no matter what.
Amianne Bailey
3rd-4th Read Aloud: A simple rhyming picture book with a deep message. Generated lots of discussion about the importance of not judging people based on appearance. We discussed the difference between racism and prejudice. Great for symbolism and theme.
Uriah
A good book that, at it's heart, addresses racism by asking questions about zebras that end up black and white.
Wendy

Great art! A wonderful way to tell kids that what they look like do not change who they are.
Dolly
Feb 14, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens
Colorful story with a rhyming narrative and a social message. Our girls liked this book.
Cimuchowski
Patsy
Patsy added it
Jun 06, 2014
Jamie Chapman-petersen
Jamie Chapman-petersen marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2013
Ebun
Ebun marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2013