Start by marking “What If the Zebras Lost Their Stripes?” as Want to Read:
What If the Zebras Lost Their Stripes?

What If the Zebras Lost Their Stripes?

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  53 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Readers young and old will be enchanted by this imaginative and appealing book. With provocative questions and strikingly beautiful artwork, this book will surely trigger valuable family discussions about the joy of embracing and celebrating the magnificence that is inherent in our diversity.

Book Details: Format: Hardcover Publication Date: 9/1/1998 Pages: 32 Reading Level
Published May 1st 1998 by Paulist Press (first published January 1998)

To ask other readers questions about What If the Zebras Lost Their Stripes?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What If the Zebras Lost Their Stripes?

Slayermel
This story is about what would happen if Zebra’s lost their stripes and some where black and some were white. Would they still get along and be friends? Would they still be allowed to play together or would they be segregated to different lands?
I bought this book because it was part of a package being sold through Scholastic for black history month. I don’t think I would have bothered buying it on my own. Working with preschool and Kindergarten children, I find this topic of black and white segr
Marte Bryn
Feb 02, 2016 Marte Bryn rated it really liked it
Summary of the book
The story of how it had been if the zebras had lost their stripes, and it had been black and white zebras. Would the zebras recognize their common identity, or would they begin to notice their new differences in color and start to fight? The answer to what that can happen in good and evil is illustrated in the book.

The major themes of the story:
Equivalence, we (every human life) are all worth the same no matter what skin color you have.

Personal response to the text:
It is so im
Lisa Carroll
Feb 17, 2011 Lisa Carroll rated it it was amazing
I chose this picture book because it is a very simple story yet it has a very poignant message. This book might not work well in the public school system because it deals with God and religion. My son attends a private, Catholic school and this book would be appropriate at a setting such as his school. It's important that children learn from an early age that even though we might look different with one another, we need to celebrate our commonalities. We need to teach respect. A simple story suc ...more
Crystal
May 04, 2010 Crystal rated it it was amazing
I really liked the message of this book, which is to show children in a very simple way that no matter a persons color, we are all Gods creation. It teaches that superficial qualities like the color we see on the outside doesn't matter when it comes to acceptance and friendship. The zebras, whether they are black or white, are still zebras, just as people are still people no matter what.
Amianne Bailey
Feb 20, 2012 Amianne Bailey rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-alouds
3rd-4th Read Aloud: A simple rhyming picture book with a deep message. Generated lots of discussion about the importance of not judging people based on appearance. We discussed the difference between racism and prejudice. Great for symbolism and theme.
Uriah
Jul 16, 2012 Uriah rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, animals
A good book that, at it's heart, addresses racism by asking questions about zebras that end up black and white.
Wendy
May 15, 2013 Wendy rated it it was amazing

Great art! A wonderful way to tell kids that what they look like do not change who they are.
Dolly
Feb 14, 2009 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009
Colorful story with a rhyming narrative and a social message. Our girls liked this book.
Cimuchowski
Oct 19, 2007 Cimuchowski rated it really liked it
Shelves: christianity
Deals with racism.
Ilm
Ilm marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Kendra
Kendra rated it did not like it
Jun 15, 2016
Grace Hampton
Grace Hampton marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Norman Brown
Norman Brown marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Virginia Burnham
Virginia Burnham rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2016
Terri Christenson
Terri Christenson marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Joshua
Joshua added it
Jun 27, 2016
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
William Luke
William Luke rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2016
Monica
Monica added it
Feb 05, 2016
Sara Adkins
Sara Adkins marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2015
Beki
Beki added it
Nov 17, 2015
June
June rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2016
Sally
Sally added it
Oct 02, 2015
Mona Gado
Mona Gado marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
SunshineGlory
SunshineGlory rated it really liked it
May 02, 2016