Start by marking “The Hypochondriac's Guide to Life. And Death.” as Want to Read:

The Hypochondriac's Guide to Life. And Death.
Published June 12th 2001 by Simon & Schuster (first published September 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Hypochondriac's Guide to Life. And Death., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hypochondriac's Guide to Life. And Death.

Jackie
Dec 24, 2013 Jackie rated it it was ok
Really funny, until the book started going on about how fibromyalgia suffers were just "sissies" who faked a disease because they feel a little "icky-doody." Maybe talk to someone who actually has the disease instead of mocking the support group that wouldn't let you sit in because they're sensitive about people calling them fakers (which you did)? The same goes for the other diseases you hilariously called not real, including mental illness in general. The casual sexism and objectification of w ...more
Aug 25, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Weird going from a quiet book about Quakerism to this crazy masterpiece full of unseemly bodily functions, completely unwarranted panic, and dark hilarity. As a certified, insurance-card-carrying member of the hypochondriac club, Weingarten’s irreverent approach to life and death (and every failure, disease, malfunction in between) made me laugh so hard my stomach began to hurt and I couldn’t breathe. Which, in turn, made me worry that said stomach ache and shortness of breath could be my brain/ ...more
Ellen
Aug 09, 2012 Ellen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Just so you know this book is HILARIOUS! It's a non-fiction (I am assuming) but it's also a humor! And like practically all of it, if I am remembering correctly, is clean! I really like this book and I am really glad that I bought it.
Definitely recommend it! I want to go read it again just thinking about it...
I picked this up, not because I am a hypochondriac but because the title caught my eye. After reading the flip on the inside cover I just had to have it and I am so glad that I have.
rockle
Jul 18, 2007 rockle rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: nonfiction, humor
i am a hypochondriac, and this book is one of the best books about hypochondria that i have ever read. i often use it as a reference book -- it doesn't explain hypochondria, or excuse it, but it does acknowledge it, and provide a pretty good list of some serious diseases that you may come down with if you are dedicated to your craft. like: did you know that hiccups could mean cancer? i love this book.
Jill
Aug 30, 2012 Jill rated it really liked it
Gene Weingarten is an amazingly talented writer. If he wrote a stereo manual, I'm sure I would read it. I read this book during my commute to and from work and I found myself smiling the entire time I read it. It's on the short side so I was disappointed that it ended so quickly. If you want to read a book that will make you smile and learn a little something at the same time, this is the book for you.
Krissy
Sep 28, 2011 Krissy rated it it was amazing
I give this a 5 star review not only because it was extremely entertaining, but because it really helped me realize that my constant thoughts of trying to figure out what is wrong with me are not near as bad as many. It was a great quick read.
Jason Lewis
Jul 13, 2016 Jason Lewis rated it liked it
Hilarious, frightening, sexist, extreme, sometimes downright rude, and all at the same time! Weingarten offers no remedy for the suffering hypochondriac in his first book other than that he is one. This is not a self help book, but one could certainly use it to help themselves.
Jeremy
Jan 11, 2013 Jeremy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Susan Hood
Aug 11, 2010 Susan Hood rated it really liked it
How to become a proper hypochondriac.. very funny. Gene Weingarten is a literary genius. Made me laugh out loud. I kept it in my bathroom, where I could read a bit at a time.
Jeff Barnosky
Jul 25, 2010 Jeff Barnosky rated it it was amazing
Whenever anyone asks what's the funniest book I've ever read, this is the one I pick. Sorry Aristophanes and Roth!
Concetta Kellough
Sep 09, 2016 Concetta Kellough rated it it was amazing
A hypochondriac writes a humorous book about being a hypochondriac but then ends with the way to cure the thought process - be diagnosed with a life-threatening disease.
Julia
Jun 03, 2008 Julia rated it did not like it
This book was so stupid. I read about fifteen pages and it was a) not funny and b) unoriginal in its condescension. But I should have known that.
Mindy
Apr 04, 2011 Mindy rated it it was amazing
Laugh out loud funny and also highly informative for all of us hypochondriacs out there. Certain passages cry out to be shared with friends they are so odd and hilarious.
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2012
Jane
Jane rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2014
Muireann
Muireann rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2012
Kathy
Kathy rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2014
Gia Santos
Gia Santos rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2012
Vikki Martine
Vikki Martine rated it it was ok
Dec 30, 2016
Megan
Megan rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2012
mdt
mdt rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2008
Amy Tasillo
Amy Tasillo rated it it was ok
Jun 06, 2010
Kara
Kara rated it it was ok
Mar 24, 2011
Laura rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2009
Dawid
Dawid rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2014
Laura Vilka
Laura Vilka rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2013
Vicki
Vicki rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2016
Leo
Leo rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2011
Delos
Delos rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2014
Andrea
Andrea rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Best of Robert Benchley
  • How to Raise Your I.Q. by Eating Gifted Children
  • The World According to Dave Barry
  • How I Got to Be Perfect
  • When Do They Serve the Wine?: The Folly, Flexibility, and Fun of Being a Woman
  • City Boy
  • If You Can't Live Without Me, Why Aren't You Dead Yet?!
  • Molly Ivins Can't Say That, Can She?
  • I Lost Everything in the Post-Natal Depression
  • Is Sex Necessary? or Why You Feel the Way You Do
  • Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories: And Other Disasters
  • Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe, The
  • Plague Time: The New Germ Theory of Disease
  • Phaic Tan: Sunstroke on a Shoestring
  • Take My Advice: Secret Letters to the Next Generation from People Who Know a Thing or Two
  • All in My Head: An Epic Quest to Cure an Unrelenting, Totally Unreasonable, and Only Slightly Enlightening Headache
  • Social Studies
  • Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
A Pulitzer Prize winning reporter and humorist for the Washington Post and author of a number of books.
More about Gene Weingarten...