Start by marking “The Hypochondriac's Guide to Life. And Death.” as Want to Read:
The Hypochondriac's Guide to Life. And Death.

The Hypochondriac's Guide to Life. And Death.

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  165 ratings  ·  18 reviews
When every hiccup sounds like the call of doom, each stomach pang hints at incipient cancer, and a headache means it's time to firm up your last will and testament, The Hypochondriac's Guide to Life. And Death. provides just the relief you need. Gene Weingarten has spent his whole life immersed in the eclectic details of bizarre symptoms, self-diagnosing every minor ache a ...more
Published June 12th 2001 by Simon & Schuster (first published September 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Hypochondriac's Guide to Life. And Death., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hypochondriac's Guide to Life. And Death.

Jackie
Really funny, until the book started going on about how fibromyalgia suffers were just "sissies" who faked a disease because they feel a little "icky-doody." Maybe talk to someone who actually has the disease instead of mocking the support group that wouldn't let you sit in because they're sensitive about people calling them fakers (which you did)? The same goes for the other diseases you hilariously called not real, including mental illness in general. The casual sexism and objectification of w ...more
Weird going from a quiet book about Quakerism to this crazy masterpiece full of unseemly bodily functions, completely unwarranted panic, and dark hilarity. As a certified, insurance-card-carrying member of the hypochondriac club, Weingarten’s irreverent approach to life and death (and every failure, disease, malfunction in between) made me laugh so hard my stomach began to hurt and I couldn’t breathe. Which, in turn, made me worry that said stomach ache and shortness of breath could be my brain/ ...more
Ellen
Aug 09, 2012 Ellen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Just so you know this book is HILARIOUS! It's a non-fiction (I am assuming) but it's also a humor! And like practically all of it, if I am remembering correctly, is clean! I really like this book and I am really glad that I bought it.
Definitely recommend it! I want to go read it again just thinking about it...
I picked this up, not because I am a hypochondriac but because the title caught my eye. After reading the flip on the inside cover I just had to have it and I am so glad that I have.
Jill
Gene Weingarten is an amazingly talented writer. If he wrote a stereo manual, I'm sure I would read it. I read this book during my commute to and from work and I found myself smiling the entire time I read it. It's on the short side so I was disappointed that it ended so quickly. If you want to read a book that will make you smile and learn a little something at the same time, this is the book for you.
rockle
Jul 18, 2007 rockle rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: nonfiction, humor
i am a hypochondriac, and this book is one of the best books about hypochondria that i have ever read. i often use it as a reference book -- it doesn't explain hypochondria, or excuse it, but it does acknowledge it, and provide a pretty good list of some serious diseases that you may come down with if you are dedicated to your craft. like: did you know that hiccups could mean cancer? i love this book.
Krissy
I give this a 5 star review not only because it was extremely entertaining, but because it really helped me realize that my constant thoughts of trying to figure out what is wrong with me are not near as bad as many. It was a great quick read.
Susan Hood
How to become a proper hypochondriac.. very funny. Gene Weingarten is a literary genius. Made me laugh out loud. I kept it in my bathroom, where I could read a bit at a time.
Mindy
Laugh out loud funny and also highly informative for all of us hypochondriacs out there. Certain passages cry out to be shared with friends they are so odd and hilarious.
Julia
This book was so stupid. I read about fifteen pages and it was a) not funny and b) unoriginal in its condescension. But I should have known that.
Jeremy
Jeff Barnosky
Whenever anyone asks what's the funniest book I've ever read, this is the one I pick. Sorry Aristophanes and Roth!
Jessica
Jul 10, 2007 Jessica rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: hypochondriac's
This book might actually cure you of your hypochondria, but just don't read it before going to bed.
Blair
This book is funny. (But if you are already the paranoid type, don't read it.)
Penguin Gunter
Ātri aizmirstama, viegla izklaide. Kā dzeltenā prese.
Karen
A very informative but hilariously funny book!
jessicatekely
gene weingarten is seriously fucking funny.
Gina
Really witty, cute and intelligent.
Douglas
Love this book now.
Kari Martindale
Kari Martindale marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Mary Fortes
Mary Fortes marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Javeria Fatima
Javeria Fatima marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Christopher Allen
Christopher Allen marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Bettina Fry
Bettina Fry marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Laura Kadrija
Laura Kadrija is currently reading it
May 11, 2015
  • The Best of Robert Benchley
  • When Do They Serve the Wine?: The Folly, Flexibility, and Fun of Being a Woman
  • The World According to Dave Barry
  • How I Got to Be Perfect
  • City Boy
  • If You Can't Live Without Me, Why Aren't You Dead Yet?!
  • I Lost Everything in the Post-Natal Depression
  • Molly Ivins Can't Say That, Can She?
  • The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe
  • Is Sex Necessary? or Why You Feel the Way You Do
  • Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories: And Other Disasters
  • Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
  • The Complete Manual of Things That Might Kill You: A Guide to Self-Diagnosis for Hypochondriacs
  • Phaic Tan: Sunstroke on a Shoestring
  • Plague Time: The New Germ Theory of Disease
  • Social Studies
  • All in My Head: An Epic Quest to Cure an Unrelenting, Totally Unreasonable, and Only Slightly Enlightening Headache
  • The Life and Loves of a She Devil
A Pulitzer Prize winning reporter and humorist for the Washington Post and author of a number of books.
More about Gene Weingarten...
The Fiddler in the Subway: The Story of the World-Class Violinist Who Played for Handouts. . . And Other Virtuoso Performances by America's Foremost Feature Writer Old Dogs Are the Best Dogs I'm with Stupid: One Man, One Woman, 10,000 Years of Misunderstanding Between the Sexes Cleared Right Up Me & Dog Old Dogs: Are the Best Dogs