Start by marking “The Hypochondriac's Guide to Life. And Death.” as Want to Read:
The Hypochondriac's Guide to Life. And Death.

The Hypochondriac's Guide to Life. And Death.

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  18 reviews
When every hiccup sounds like the call of doom, each stomach pang hints at incipient cancer, and a headache means it's time to firm up your last will and testament, The Hypochondriac's Guide to Life. And Death. provides just the relief you need. Gene Weingarten has spent his whole life immersed in the eclectic details of bizarre symptoms, self-diagnosing every minor ache a ...more
Published June 12th 2001 by Simon & Schuster (first published September 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Hypochondriac's Guide to Life. And Death., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hypochondriac's Guide to Life. And Death.

Really funny, until the book started going on about how fibromyalgia suffers were just "sissies" who faked a disease because they feel a little "icky-doody." Maybe talk to someone who actually has the disease instead of mocking the support group that wouldn't let you sit in because they're sensitive about people calling them fakers (which you did)? The same goes for the other diseases you hilariously called not real, including mental illness in general. The casual sexism and objectification of w ...more
Weird going from a quiet book about Quakerism to this crazy masterpiece full of unseemly bodily functions, completely unwarranted panic, and dark hilarity. As a certified, insurance-card-carrying member of the hypochondriac club, Weingarten’s irreverent approach to life and death (and every failure, disease, malfunction in between) made me laugh so hard my stomach began to hurt and I couldn’t breathe. Which, in turn, made me worry that said stomach ache and shortness of breath could be my brain/ ...more
Aug 09, 2012 Ellen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Just so you know this book is HILARIOUS! It's a non-fiction (I am assuming) but it's also a humor! And like practically all of it, if I am remembering correctly, is clean! I really like this book and I am really glad that I bought it.
Definitely recommend it! I want to go read it again just thinking about it...
I picked this up, not because I am a hypochondriac but because the title caught my eye. After reading the flip on the inside cover I just had to have it and I am so glad that I have.
Gene Weingarten is an amazingly talented writer. If he wrote a stereo manual, I'm sure I would read it. I read this book during my commute to and from work and I found myself smiling the entire time I read it. It's on the short side so I was disappointed that it ended so quickly. If you want to read a book that will make you smile and learn a little something at the same time, this is the book for you.
Jul 18, 2007 rockle rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: nonfiction, humor
i am a hypochondriac, and this book is one of the best books about hypochondria that i have ever read. i often use it as a reference book -- it doesn't explain hypochondria, or excuse it, but it does acknowledge it, and provide a pretty good list of some serious diseases that you may come down with if you are dedicated to your craft. like: did you know that hiccups could mean cancer? i love this book.
I give this a 5 star review not only because it was extremely entertaining, but because it really helped me realize that my constant thoughts of trying to figure out what is wrong with me are not near as bad as many. It was a great quick read.
Susan Hood
How to become a proper hypochondriac.. very funny. Gene Weingarten is a literary genius. Made me laugh out loud. I kept it in my bathroom, where I could read a bit at a time.
Laugh out loud funny and also highly informative for all of us hypochondriacs out there. Certain passages cry out to be shared with friends they are so odd and hilarious.
This book was so stupid. I read about fifteen pages and it was a) not funny and b) unoriginal in its condescension. But I should have known that.
Jeff Barnosky
Whenever anyone asks what's the funniest book I've ever read, this is the one I pick. Sorry Aristophanes and Roth!
Jul 10, 2007 Jessica rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: hypochondriac's
This book might actually cure you of your hypochondria, but just don't read it before going to bed.
This book is funny. (But if you are already the paranoid type, don't read it.)
Penguin Gunter
Ātri aizmirstama, viegla izklaide. Kā dzeltenā prese.
A very informative but hilariously funny book!
gene weingarten is seriously fucking funny.
Really witty, cute and intelligent.
Love this book now.
Karla is currently reading it
Oct 05, 2015
Erin Stumm
Erin Stumm marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Beverly Schneider
Beverly Schneider marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Cassie marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Priscilla marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
  • The Best of Robert Benchley
  • When Do They Serve the Wine?: The Folly, Flexibility, and Fun of Being a Woman
  • How I Got to Be Perfect
  • The World According to Dave Barry
  • Molly Ivins Can't Say That, Can She?
  • If You Can't Live Without Me, Why Aren't You Dead Yet?!
  • City Boy
  • Phaic Tan: Sunstroke on a Shoestring
  • MacLeod's Clinical Examination
  • Social Studies
  • Plague Time: The New Germ Theory of Disease
  • The Complete Manual of Things That Might Kill You: A Guide to Self-Diagnosis for Hypochondriacs
  • Confessions of a Recovering Slut: And Other Love Stories
A Pulitzer Prize winning reporter and humorist for the Washington Post and author of a number of books.
More about Gene Weingarten...
The Fiddler in the Subway: The Story of the World-Class Violinist Who Played for Handouts. . . And Other Virtuoso Performances by America's Foremost Feature Writer Old Dogs Are the Best Dogs Me & Dog I'm with Stupid: One Man, One Woman, 10,000 Years of Misunderstanding Between the Sexes Cleared Right Up Old Dogs: Are the Best Dogs