Start by marking “The Princess and White Bear King” as Want to Read:
The Princess and White Bear King

The Princess and White Bear King

Far away in the distant north, a beautiful princess meets a mysterious white bear, and embarks with him on a reathtaking journey. Combining remarkable artwork with lyrical storytelling, this tale brings together the major themes of three Northern European wonder tales, creating an unforgettable adventure.
Published September 1st 2008 by Barefoot Books (first published September 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Princess and White Bear King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Princess and White Bear King

Miriam
Mar 26, 2013 Miriam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture, fairy-tale

Batt lists three stories that she uses as the buffet for version of East of the Sun, and even attributes which elements come from which story -- except for the part about the guy making the princess metal climbing claws for her hands and feet! Did she just make up that detail? I've never encountered it before and wondered where it came from... oh well.
Britt Guild
This is a favorite folktale for my girls and me. It's a beautiful story that combines the themes of three classic tales: East of the Sun, West of the Moon, The Black Bull of Norway and The White Bear King. The story reminds me of Beauty and the Beast as the Prince is a polar bear who needs the love and loyalty of the princess to turn back into is human form as Prince. The princess and bear king travel years to find each other and overcome the evil Troll Queen and her enchantment to live happily ...more
Charlotte Gray
Jan 27, 2012 Charlotte Gray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is based on a combination of Norwegian Fairytales that have been combined into one. Without giving the plot away, as it would spoil the surprise, the book in set in the snow and so is perfect for winter. It is enchanting and mystical, containing a white bear king, princesses, kings, castles, spells to name a few. The children I read this book to were in year two and were able to really engage with the characters, the narrative and the location. The book has some beautifully written sim ...more
Miss Clark
Pictures were ok. Nothing spectacular.

The story was an amalgamation of East of the Sun, West of the Moon, The Black Bull of Norraway, and The White Bear King. In the afterword, the authoress breaks down which details she used from each story to create this one.

Enjoyable.

(Though I should still have relished more detailed illustrations.)
Amanda
Dec 29, 2010 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful retelling of my favorite tale, East of the Sun, West of the Moon. The author combines elements from other tales with similar themes. The illustions are modern, bright and very lively. Although the troll queen could have been a bit more troll-like!
Kat
Nov 25, 2016 Kat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ashley (JaffaCaffa)
Gorgeous illustrations!

My biggest complaint is that it didn't seem to flow all that well, the ending felt a bit rushed where things almost "randomly" happened. This book relies on very convenient (and sometimes sudden) events in order for things to all come together in a neat bow. While I didn't love it, still an enjoyable read.
Jen Kahl
Jun 15, 2013 Jen Kahl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful fairytale about a princess who dreamed of a magnificent crown. When she awoke and told her father about her dream, he commanded that someone make her this crown. No one could make a crown as wonderful as the one she had dreamed about. The princess came upon a bear as she was walking and he showed her the crown she had dreamed about. He said he would give it to her on one condition- that she come with him. She agreed but the king tried to give him his other daughters. One at a ...more
Dolly
Mar 21, 2011 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We really enjoyed this tale, which combined elements of three different stories. In my never-ending line of reading coincidences, this story incorporates the love story of Psyche and Eros into the tale, just as Artemis the Brave by Joan Holub does, although in a different way. We happen to read both of these books tonight, although it will take us several more days to finish Artemis. In any case, we are fascinated by Greek mythology and I loved how Tanya Robyn Batt combined different stories fro ...more
Jill
Aug 04, 2015 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My daughters and I love one of the folktales on which this book is based, East of the Sun, West of the Moon. This book incorporated two other folktales in the story and does so beautifully. The illustrations are a combination of styles I can't quite pin down but which my daughter and I enjoyed.

This is a tale of a strong princess. She is the one who comes to the rescue of the prince. She makes a mistake, doubts and loses but her perseverance and devotion to reclaim what she has lost are admirabl
Tori
Aug 11, 2008 Tori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an incredibly beautiful book, perfect for a gift for a book lover of any age. The story is a combination of several stories into one, with a typical "journey" theme throughout. The heroine learns to use her strengths and creativity to find her way to the end...
Find this and other Barefoot Books on my website.
Lilly
The Princess And The White Bear King was one of my top-favorite books as a younger child. I simply adored this book, checking it out at the library at every oppurtunity. I still love this book now at 14, this is my favorite fairy tale of all time. It has a certain fairy-tale-in-another-world feel that no other fairy tale has. I love this book and story, need I say more?
T Crockett
Aug 30, 2016 T Crockett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Gorgeous illustrations that bring the action to life and lend an air of magic. There are surprises and personal growth. I read it with a 5 year old and I have a feeling we'll be reading it again and again.
Randi
May 25, 2013 Randi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Child's picture book of northern European tales, primarily Norwegian stories. Liked and may tell "The White Bear King" and "East of the Sun, West of the Moon."
Amber
Nov 26, 2013 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute princess tell. Love the compassion the Princess shows at the end helping the mother and the children. Also her determination to find her love.
Dianna
Apr 29, 2013 Dianna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this re-telling for the most part, and my four-year-old was entranced even though it was quite long for reading aloud.
Relyn
Aug 19, 2008 Relyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fairy tale lovers
Recommended to Relyn by: I love the illustrator
I really liked this one. The melding of stories was pretty good and the illustrations were incredible!! Love her work!
Pauline
Nov 27, 2016 Pauline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This is a "power of reading" book. My Year 2 class have thoroughly enjoyed the magical feel of this story and produced some amazing writing as a consequence.
Angelica
Angelica rated it liked it
Jun 02, 2015
Becky
Becky rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2011
Kimberly Karalius
Kimberly Karalius rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2012
Rosalia
Rosalia rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2011
Sandra
Sandra rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2011
Alan
Alan rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
JJ Lynne
JJ Lynne rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2014
Stacy
Stacy rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2016
Molly
Molly rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2007
Alice
Alice rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2012
Taril Slater
Taril Slater rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2013
David Gallagher
David Gallagher rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2012