Start by marking “The Little Red Book of Wisdom” as Want to Read:
The Little Red Book of Wisdom

The Little Red Book of Wisdom

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  38 reviews
The Little Red Book of Wisdom offers time-tested principles for professional and personal fulfillment. In the book, Mark DeMoss gathers insights for living wisely from history, Scripture, and a lifetime of listening. The result is a handy, accessible book that gives readers a new way to enjoy lasting success in the work world and beyond. Topics include finding and keeping ...more
Published March 13th 2007 by Nelson Business

To ask other readers questions about The Little Red Book of Wisdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Red Book of Wisdom

Deanna
Unless you happen to know who Mark DeMoss is this book gives no hint that it's so heavily Christian until you begin reading it. So if you're not so into Christian beliefs it may take a little bit of wading through the chapters to find the wisdom that can apply to you. Thankfully most of the wisdom can be read in a secular way. I turned the chapter about reading proverbs into studying Buddhism for myself, otherwise you can probably skip that if you so choose.

One star taken off because the last ch
Tim Chavel
This is an excellent book to learn practical wisdom from a Godly man. The book is written from a Biblical Worldview. I highly recommend this book.
Tricia
Jul 12, 2013 Tricia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Lots of good Christian tips here. Nothing brand new but good reminders.
Jennifer Radtke
I have mixed feelings about suggesting this book to others. Mark DeMoss did a great job telling his story. Some of his stories seemed dry to me and didn't drive me to read more. There are other chapters that I read that fit perfect into what was happening in my life and I would definitely share that info with others.

"The Little Red Book of Wisdom offers time-tested principles for professional and personal fulfillment.
Mark DeMoss gathers insights for living wisely from history, Scripture, and a l
Meredith
Imagine a public relations firm whose philosophy is "tell the truth at all costs". Not possible? Not for Mark Demoss, founder of PR firm the Demoss Group. He created exactly that.

His book The Little Red Book of Wisdom contains boulders of practical guidance packaged in interesting, nugget-sized chapters. Half of the book specifically addresses the business world and the second half covers personal matters a refreshing change from the typical success-manual mode.

Like The Demoss Group itself, The
Wanda
I chose to read The Little Red Book of Wisdom because the title intrigued me. When I received my copy I was thrilled with how attractive and well made it is. Comprised of 23 chapters, this little book fits neatly in the palm of your hand or pocket and offers more wisdom than you would expect from such a small volume. It covers all the essentials from priorities to time management; as well as integrity, honesty, and making wise choices. I can say that I enjoyed every chapter, but most importantly ...more
Henk-Jan van der Klis
Mark DeMoss, president of the DeMoss Group, a public relations firm he founded in 1991 specifically to serve Christian organizations and causes, gathered his insights for living wisely from history, Scripture, and a lifetime of listening. DeMoss reads every single day a chapter of Proverbs, but knows his other consultants, writers and providers of one-liners as well. In his revised 2011 edition of the 2007 original DeMoss serves short chapters on a variety of topics. In Part One your professiona ...more
Judith

Everything about the book, The Little Red Book of Wisdom, drew me in ... the size, the feel, the binding, the font on the cover, and the title itself. Once I opened it, and began reading, it was hard to put it down.

Mark DeMoss wrote this book to thank his father for teaching him so much wisdom and to pass on to his children the wisdom gained from his father, from life experience and from the Bible. You might wonder, "Who is he and what qualifies him to write about wisdom?" DeMoss himself address
Wendy Hines
Wisdom - we all look for it. I usually look to my parents for wisdom and with my father passing recently, tidbits he had given me over the years have become fresh in mind. If I only knew then what I know now. The Little Red Book of Wisdom is a small giftable book that is written in short chapters. Each chapter is opened with a Bible verse or a famous quote - and I really enjoyed those.

Even though the book is written mostly about the author's journey in life, you can apply it to your own. Simpli
Scott
One of the best reads of the year. I will come back to this volume often. Mark's faith, love for family, and years of experience come together in 23 short chapters, each filled with profound and practical insight. I was provoked to ponder and think and consider many things. As well, I was motivated to practice and apply several things. It is rare that a book catalyzes both thoughtful reflection as well as immediate action.
Linda Walters
While not my favorite book to date, I did enjoy different parts of his book. I see the value in his writing these down, to bring people’s attention back to truth.; even biblical truths.
Its sad to see that it is necessary to point out, teach on, things that we once KNEW and have tossed aside as unimportant. Really sad, that it needed to be pointed out that we absolutely need to find time every day to just get quiet and THINK. Some may say, how arrogant of him to write that, but I believe how brav
Andy Mitchell
If you're looking for a quick, insightful read in the tradition of Life's Little Instruction Book, then I highly recommend this book.

Mr. DeMoss, president of the DeMoss Group, divides his book into two main sections, professional and personal wisdom.

The author shares that he received more feedback about the value of writing pen-and-ink letters as opposed to emails. This is a valuable insight and great advice.

The book is filled with contemporary proverbs like "under-promise, over-deliver" and "kn
Jeremy Heiner
Interesting little book full of practical pieces of wisdom such as "write letters by hand" and "take time out of your day just to think". Writing is insightful and includes a sprinkle of Christian scripture.
Kenneth
Demoss got it wrong. It should have been called "The Red Book of Little Wisdom." His words contain a few valid, well thought points, and I tried my best to focus on those insights. The rest of the text is filled with name dropping, tee-totaling, self congratulatory, money flaunting, blind-sighted, ignoramic babble.

Admittedly, DeMoss was well intentioned and I feel a majority of the aforementioned flaws stem from a lack of self awareness rather than an egomaniacal view point. But that doesn't sto
Dayo Adewoye
It truly lives up to its name. This is a little collection of profound truths and principles.
Drew Hawkins
Disclaimer: my current employer wrote this. I will say this is a great recruiting tool for our agency.

Provides simple, hard-to-argue-with advice for any professional. He even takes a section of the book for personal life wisdom and the importance of putting God at the center of everything to see success. Very quick read. Love this book. Didn't think I'd actually work for Mark one day.
Becky
Mar 05, 2010 Becky rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone, but especially to teens
I wish I had read this book many years ago - as they say "hindsight is 20/20". Integrity, discretion, self-control...all of these are daily practices, not merely goals. There are several anecdotes of celebrities and historical figures which add interest to the practical advice. This book should be required reading in highschool - it would make a positive difference in our society.
Rick
I found this book on the bargain shelvs at Barnes & Noble a few weeks ago thinking it looked interesting. I was not disappointed.. What a great read! Mark shares from his heart. His wisdom is right on the money as far as I am concerned with practical advice for anyone who seeks to be wiser in their lives. Highly recommended!
Lewestover
Word of wisdom for both professional life and personal life from a Christian man who lives what he preaches...There is nothing "earth-shaking" about what Mark DeMoss says in this little book, but if one were to always live by the principles he outlines one's life would be changed positively forever.
Definitely worth the time to read!
DaveR
Jul 24, 2007 DaveR rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
An excellent read that refreshes, reminds, teaches, and best of all, brings honor to God. Mark DeMoss is chief executive of an Atlanta public relations firm and has a facility for expressing bedrock wisdom in memorable ways. He uses life stories to illuminate deep, enduring truths about life and how it is most effectively lived.
Candelar
Even though it is a short book, it is really PACKED with wise advise based on solid principles. Bravo to Mark Demoss for writing about values so lost in our confused society. Bravo for showing that you can stand firm doing what's right, even when it's difficult or unpopular.
Barbara Lovejoy
Recently I heard the BYU Forum speech of Mark Demoss and enjoyed it very much. From that speech I learned about this book he had written. The title entrigued me so checked it out from the library. What a treasure!!! It is filled with many great stories of different people.
Lauren
My boss received a copy of this "little red book" from the author, and I asked if I could borrow it. A quick, easy read packed with practical and biblical wisdom. I would love to write something similar for my kids using our family stories and lessons I want to pass on.
Christian
Gary
AS the the title says, it is a little book, red, and filled with wisdom. I really liked the light stories author DeMoss told and simple wisdom behind the stories. This book is easily read and can be enjoyed by many.
Doug
The author does pose interesting ideas ... though from an application standpoint some of thoughts expressed seem unlikely or impractical in today's workplace. Overall this book is an easy read.
Andrew Carretto
The Demoss Group is a very successful Atlanta based company. Their CEO is the one who wrote this book. Great practical principles within the book. Nothing earth shattering, just practical.
Timothy
Insightful, practical and wise.
The reflections of a son on the wisdom pased on from his father.
a father was was taken from him while he was young.
And the wisdom of those who helped along the way.
Christi
I really enjoyed this book. It could be an easy read. If you take the time to delve into this book there are many nuggets of wisdom. I appreciated the author's insights.
John
Rated: C+

Nice little thought provoking book of short essays on what's truly important in life. Also, a not so subtle advertisement for DeMoss's firm and services.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Business Secrets from the Bible: Spiritual Success Strategies for Financial Abundance
  • Scaling Up: How a Few Companies Make It...and Why the Rest Don't (Rockefeller Habits 2.0)
  • Parenting the QBQ Way: How to be an Outstanding Parent and Raise Great Kids Using the Power of Personal Accountability
  • Financial Intelligence for Entrepreneurs: What You Really Need to Know About the Numbers
  • Called to the Ministry
  • Old Testament Ethics for the People of God
  • Principles of Conduct: Aspects of Biblical Ethics
  • The Decision Maker
  • Wisdom Meets Passion: When Generations Collide and Collaborate
  • Born to Win: Find Your Success Code
  • Drucker & Me: How Peter Drucker and a Texas Entrepreneur Conspired to Change the World
  • Four Pillars of a Man's Heart: Bringing Strength into Balance
  • Spurgeon's Sermons Vol. 1-10 (5 double volumes)
  • The Contrarian's Guide to Leadership