Start by marking “A Historical Christmas Present” as Want to Read:
A Historical Christmas Present

A Historical Christmas Present (Capital Theatre #2.5)

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  724 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Throughout the ages, Christmas has been a time of love and rejoicing. Now, from Dorchester Publishing, comes a selection of three classic tales to warm the hearts of historical romance readers everywhere.

RITA Award-winning "I Will"
LISA KLEYPAS
When a Georgian bluestocking is propositioned by a rakish noble, she finds the unlikely deal he proposes is the gift of a lifetime.

"
Mass Market Paperback, 305 pages
Published September 30th 2008 by Love Spell (first published August 31st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Historical Christmas Present, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Historical Christmas Present

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
A Historical Christmas Present lives up to its name with three enjoyable, Christmastime historical romance stories.

"I Will" is actually a favorite reread of mine. I think is my third time reading this story. I loved it just as much. I think that Ms. Kleypas found just the right story to bring the Christmas mood to this reader. This is a story about redemption and second chances. How hope comes in very unexpected packages, just like the baby born in a manger over two thousand years ago. Kleypas
Ally72
Dec 25, 2010 Ally72 rated it it was amazing
I just read the short story by Lisa Kleypas called "I Will." It was a lovely story about the brother of Logan Scott from Because You're Mine. I really liked the heroine in that book so it was fun getting a glimpse of what her life was like after the book ended. The heroine in this one was considered a bluestocking and a perfect match for the hero (once again Ms. Kleypas takes two different characters and fits them perfectly together). There were not a lot of redeeming qualities in the hero who s ...more
Crista
Nov 26, 2012 Crista rated it it was amazing
Reread on 11/23/12. I love this book! A must read for the Christmas season!

Usually I do not bother to review anthologies. Takes to long and they are not usually worth writing about....This one being the exception to that rule.

For the price tag and quality of stories...you can't go wrong with this one.

It's tough, but Lisa Kleypas's RITA award winner "I Will" was my favorite. For those that read her pair of books Somewhere I'll Find You and Because You're Mine, you'll recognize the hero. He is L
Christiana
I borrowed this from the library just to read LK's I Will. It's tied in with one of her older novels that I will need to read soon, about Logan Scott. I liked this short story but wasn't in love with it. I didn't feel that the heroine's background, upbringing and experiences would allow her to be so sexually forward so that was a leap for me. I liked the Hero more; his reformed rake transformation was similar to the story of Cold Hearted Rake. It's probably better than 3 stars except for the fac ...more
Vashti
Dec 05, 2012 Vashti rated it really liked it
Shelves: holly-challenge
I WILL by Lisa Kleypas is the story that I read in this Christmas anthology.
This is the story of Andrew,Logan Scott's brother ,one of my most favorite of LK's heros.
Throughly enjoyed this little gem of a story.I love how Andrew constantly removes Caro's specs and cleans them for her ,then gently places them back on.
Carmen
Apr 20, 2015 Carmen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: regency
I just read the Kleypas novella in the anthology, as she is a favorite of mine. She rarely disappoints and her regency romances are some of the best ever written. Her scorching heroes never fail to pleasure their ladies ;D
Aoi
Sep 27, 2015 Aoi rated it really liked it
Shelves: hf-england
* Rating only for Lisa Kleypas' contribution.. What a pleasure to read her work again!
France-Andrée
Didn't take me that long to read the book, but I've completely forgot what the first story, I Will by Lisa Kleypas, was about so I would deem it forgettable. I remember, I did think of what I would give it and I had decided on a 3 stars.

Three French Hens by Lynsay Sands was about a young maid changing place with a lady because the latter doesn't want to be wooed by the man she's been betrothed to as a baby. It's a prince and the pauper variation, not a lot of unexpected twists, but I did enjoy i
.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...]
Of course, for LK's "I Will". Originally read in the Wish List anthology. Haven't re-read in a while but I'm sure the stars will remain the same. Wish I had the time to add a review. :-<
FlibBityFLooB
I really enjoyed the first two in this anthology by Kleypas and Sands, but I found the third story to be boring...
Shawna
Dec 26, 2010 Shawna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Lisa Kleypas, historical/holiday romance, & reformed heroes
Shelves: author-lynsay-sands-argeneau, favorites, i-read-own-faves-keepers, historical-romance, made-me-cry, quick-read-romance, author-lisa-kleypas, hero-im-gaga-over, heroine-i-adore, hero-alpha‎, hero-antihero-gamma, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-cad-rake-rogue‎-scoundrel, hero-bad-boy-playboy-player, best-top-favorites, anthologies-novellas-shorts, holiday-theme, friends-to-lovers, why-do-good-girls-like-bad-boys, hero-addict-excon-lawtrouble-thief, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, hero-celibate-virgin-virginesque, favorite-romance-couple-hh-pairings, 2010-reads, historical-romance-regency, historical-romance-victorian, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, captive-kidnapped-hostage-slave, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, heroine-odd-spinster-wallflower, revenge-deception-secrets-lies, hero-expert-skilled-voracious-lover, cheating-hearts-fidelity-issues, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, hh-social-class-wealth-matters, sweet-romance-left-smile-on-my-face, wager, heroine-bluestocking-unconventional, hero-gambler, heroine-plain-jane-uglyducklingswan, hh-sweet-nice-paired-vs-gruff-cynic, favorite-hottest-love-scenes-nookie, beauty-is-in-the-eye-of-beholder, hh-aristocracy-nobility-royalty, best-fave-reads-of-2010, i-read-kindle, kindle, hh-addiction-recovery-sobriety, series-capital-theatre, 5-stars-plus, hero-redeems-himself-reformed, controversial-memorable-event-scene, hh-pygmalion-theme, tearjerker-tugs-at-heartstrings, a-all-time-best-top-fave-dik-reads
5++ stars – Historical Romance

*****Rating is for I Will by Lisa Kleypas, only.*****
MelissaB
Kleypas story - 4 stars - sweet, nice story

Sands story - 3 stars - okay
Hoa
Aug 27, 2014 Hoa rated it really liked it
For "I Will" only. The story was MUCH more better than Because You're Mine- which I dropped immediately after a few chapters- yet I didn't understand why this story wasn't made a full length novel?

The second story is so disastrous that I cannot believe it is a romance story. The hero only loved in the condition that he had the heroine's money, and although he said it was for his people, I simply couldn't agree.
Linda C
Three previously published historical Christmas novellas set in Georgian England, 12th century England, and frontier Arizona are collected here. I liked Lisa Kleypas' story best. A dissolute Lord who has been leading her brother to ruin proposes a plot to get back into his father's will in exchange for clearing the brother's debts. He will give up his bad habits and pretend to pursue her, a noted prim and proper spinster to convince his father to reinstate him. Of course, he is not as bad as he ...more
Andrea O'Brien
Jul 27, 2014 Andrea O'Brien rated it liked it
A Historical Christmas Present
“I Will” by Lisa Klelpas
This is one of my favourite Christmas stories. The writing is clear and engaging. The author’s characters are full of spirit and the reader is instantly involved in their drama. Caroline is smart, sarcastic and outspoken which makes her unwanted on the marriage market but a great character to read and relate too. Andrew is a rogue, a notorious bad boy who is ALL charm. I am a sucker for bad boys The characters really drive this story because
Dancer
Mar 24, 2012 Dancer rated it really liked it
I Will by Lisa Kleypas
When a Georgian bluestocking is propositioned by a rakish noble, she finds the unlikely deal he proposes is the gift of a life time.

Andrew, Lord Drake, is the drunken dissolute half brother to Logan Scott (Because You're Mine.) Their father is dying. In order to get back into the will Andrew must prove he has transformed his scandalous ways. So comes about a sham engagement to the morally upright Miss Caroline Hargreaves. The novella is a Rita Award winner. The same novella
Isabelle
Oct 02, 2008 Isabelle rated it liked it
Lisa Kleypas is my favorite romance writer, so I always buy any collection of books where she is one of the authors. Her story was very good as was the second author, Lynsay Sands. Of course, the only problem is that the stories were too short and the characters fell in love too quickly and easily, but you can't really fault the authors, since their stories have to be short when they are part of a collection. So I digress.

The third author's story, however, was not good at all. Problem number 1:
Becky
Dec 17, 2011 Becky rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
This is a really nice collection of (loosely) holiday-themed short stories. I liked Lisa Kelypas's "I Will" the best--a sweet story about the importance of having someone believe in you and the ability to redeem yourself, no matter what you've done in the past. "Three French Hens" by Lynsay Sands completely stretches the boundaries of reality, but is a sweet story that had me laughing out loud more than once. "Father Christmas" came in a close second behind Kleypas's contribution--it's a cleverl ...more
Karen L
Dec 27, 2015 Karen L rated it liked it
I usually do like anthologies(to short of a story for me), however, I really liked Lisa Kleypas's story (I Will) in this anthology and since this is the first time I ever read one of her books I have a new author to read! I thought Lynsay Sands' story was good but I think her vampire series is much better.
Robin Rousu
Dec 26, 2014 Robin Rousu rated it liked it
Really nice combination of settings and plots, the Sands was especially well done.
Kris
Nov 10, 2011 Kris rated it liked it
"I Will " by Lisa Kleypas: Eugh. I didn't get past the first chapter of this one. An ass of a hero holding the family's ruin over the heroine's head to get her to pretend to be his betrothed? Stirring members, tingly insides... I couldn't read it.

"Three French Hens" by Lynsay Sands: An unrealistic yet cute story of a serving girl persuaded to pretend she is a lady, and (of course) falling in love with the hero.

"Father Christmas" by Leigh Greenwood: Another unrealistic yet cute story of a hero on
Jan 17, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was ok
A pretty weak collection of stories.
Deanne
Feb 17, 2012 Deanne rated it liked it
I have read several anthologies , and usually I enjoy all the stories in the book, but this time I just enjoyed Lisa Kleypas "I Will" story it was a warm lovely read on a cold rainy day .

As For Lynsay Sands "Three French Hens" , I found this to be one of her weakest stories so far.

And I simply got bored reading Lisa Greenwood 's "Father Christmas" I thought I will discover two good authors in the end but it ends up I just discovered one and that would be Lisa Kleypas .
Alicia
Jan 02, 2011 Alicia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Where there are three stories in the book, each story was really rushed, as is typical in books with multiple stories. The second story was my favorite and would have very much enjoyed reading this story extended in a full book. Story three was my next favorite, it would also have been good in a full book. Story one would have been good in a full book where the story line could have been extended but as it was it was just too rushed, there wasn't enough description, not enough interaction betwee ...more
Sheri
Dec 16, 2010 Sheri rated it liked it
This is a collection of three novellas. I WILL by Lisa Kleypas is a regency and was a good story, a 4.5. THREE FRENCH HENS by Lynsay Sands, a medieval, was 2 stars. The plot and characters weren't believable. FATHER CHRISTMAS, a western by Leigh Greenwood, started out slow. I thought it was going to be another 2 stars story, but about the middle I engaged with the characters and it became a delightful, warm Christmas story about creating a family and finding love. Overall I'd give it 3.5 stars.
Lauren

MaryReadsRomance
Anthology
4.5 Stars
I Will by Lisa Kleypas
A bluestocking is propositioned to act the couple with a rakish noble in order for him to get his inheritance. A tired plot magically transformed by the master story writer Lisa Kleypas.

2.5 Stars
Three French Hens by Lynsay Sands

3.5 Stars
Father Christmas by Leigh Greenwood

A lonely drifter is transformed by delivering a young widow's baby during the holiday season.
Gina
Jan 02, 2016 Gina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthology
Just read Lisa Kleypas's story.
Dena
Dec 03, 2012 Dena rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
I chose to read I Will for a Christmas reading challenge. I am not a huge historical fan but having said that, I would read anything Lisa Kleypas writes-she is just that good. Somehow she can take the biggest rake, and make you love and understand him and totally believe he can be redeemed by the love of a good woman. By the end of this story I wanted to be Caroline! I recommend this book!
Cissa
Dec 17, 2013 Cissa rated it really liked it
I enjoyed all three of these novellas. They're not quite as Christmassy as I'd prefer, but they are all fun, light reading, and well-written and -plotted.

While apparently at least 2 of the tales were previously published, I had not read them before and so do not mind; I'd feel differently if I'd read them already.

Good seasonal fluff, for those of us who like such.
We Love Lisa Kleypas: I Will 3 14 Dec 30, 2013 03:18PM
  • Christmas Love Stories
  • A Christmas Present
  • Three Weddings and a Kiss
  • The Heart of Christmas (Carhart #0.5; Tallants #3.5)
  • Christmas Revels
  • A Victorian Christmas
  • A Christmas Ball (Includes: Nvengaria, #4)
  • A Stockingful of Joy
  • Five Gold Rings
  • The Brides of Christmas (Includes Warrior, #11; de Burgh, #3.5)
  • Mistletoe & Magic
  • A Grosvenor Square Christmas
  • A Countess by Christmas
  • His Mistress by Christmas (Sinful Family Secrets, #2)
  • All I Want For Christmas is a Duke
  • Twas the Night
  • A Bride By Christmas: Home For Christmas\ The Wise Virgin\ Tumbleweed Christmas
  • Snowy Night with a Stranger (School for Heiresses, #4.5)
More about Lisa Kleypas...

Capital Theatre (2 books)
  • Somewhere I'll Find You (Capital Theatre, #1)
  • Because You're Mine (Capital Theatre, #2)