Start by marking “The Rise and Fall of a 10th Grade Social Climber” as Want to Read:
The Rise and Fall of a 10th Grade Social Climber

The Rise and Fall of a 10th Grade Social Climber (10th Grade Social Climber #1)

After the collapse of her parents’ marriage, Mimi Schulman leaves her mother in Houston to look after her befuddled photographer father in New York. Too preoccupied with family problems to think much about her new life, Mimi’s first hour at The Baldwin School—an institution where teachers offer psychoanalysis in lieu of grades and students hold cocktail parties in the bath ...more
Published May 30th 2005 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Rise and Fall of a 10th Grade Social Climber, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rise and Fall of a 10th Grade Social Climber

Pretty Little Liars by Sara ShepardThe Clique by Lisi HarrisonThe Lying Game by Sara ShepardThe It Girl by Cecily von ZiegesarLucky by Rachel Vail
Cliques & Mean Girls
97th out of 188 books — 28 voters
Mockingjay by Suzanne CollinsThe Fault in Our Stars by John GreenCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareA Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin
I Threw It At Some Point
27th out of 47 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Jan 05, 2008 Em rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-fiction
I'm not recommending this one, but got it because I'm curious about books written by more than one author...
Jan 27, 2008 Jenna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2008
Now, I love Mean Girls as much as the next teen-movie lover. But, Mean Girls has been done, and this book, about a teenage girl moving to a new town and making a bet that she can become friends with the cool group of girls, is it all over again. Boring.
Apr 29, 2008 Kimberley rated it it was amazing
I luv this book..its about a girl....who goes to this new schoo.....who her child hood friend sam Sam who she ashn't seen in a while and her Friend Sam dares her to try and fir in the popular girl..which she gets done..but will her new grup of freinds choose her as friends?....will they find out that its just an aact..? that
Nov 17, 2008 Alina rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2008 'stina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to 'stina by: Laura Moser
Shelves: 2008
I bought this because a friend of my sister's wrote it. But I'm not sure I'd recommend it. Again, I got annoyed with the main character and I didn't really see any real lessons learned by anyone. Almost everyone in the book annoyed me, and I was particularly irritated with the Houston scenes. I wanted to like it, but I'm not sure that I was the demographic aimed at.
Jun 25, 2009 Meryl rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: NO ONE!!!
Shelves: waste-of-paper
This is one of THE most boring books I've ever dragged myself through in a long time. The only okay part was the first couple of chapters, but after that, it sucked. I couldn't quite get what was happening until it was over, the charcters were annoying, the MAIN character was so crappy I wanted to slap her for being so ditzy, and I couldn't remember the characters by name OR appearence. It was awful. I hated it and I hope I can be smarter next time I choose a book to read.
...Geez, I'm not even i
Jan 18, 2010 Lucy rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People who haven't been and never will go to NY b/c they won't find out how wrong this book is.
Recommended to Lucy by: Borders' "under $5" pile.
Shelves: pink-books
Dec 31, 2014 Britt rated it it was amazing
Wow! I was hoping I'd like this book--since all of the others I'd heard good things about didn't turn out so well, I was a little afraid--but I wasn't expecting to like this as much as I did. I'm pleasantly surprised.

This book's about an everyday girl from Texas moving to New York City to live with her dad while she attends a prestigious boarding school. The depiction of Baldwin school is so attractive...not something we get to read about often in books. It's concerned with the arts, so there's
Aug 15, 2010 Jamie rated it liked it
Shelves: 14-16, pink, school
A PG rated Gossip Girl. Fun, maybe a smidge long, with a strangely abrupt ending (what happens to Amanda and her Dad? I know Mimi is self centered, but still, not even a "Bye?")
Meghan Svien
1.This book so far is a good book, i havent got to far into it but i like it! The girls Parntes marriage fall apart and her mom lives in one state and her dad lives in a differnet.

2.I havent got to read much since iv been in the hospital. Iv tried to read as much as I could.
Jan 22, 2011 Kirsty rated it liked it
This book was pretty transparent, although I guess I didn't really expect it to be much more than that. There were quite a few loose ends that I thought could have been tied up but weren't. That said, it was a very easy, enjoyable book to read.
Feb 23, 2011 kb rated it liked it
I wanted to like this much more than I do because it promised, if not followed, the story line of one of my favorite movies in the entire world that is Mean Girls. But there are just some use of cliches in it that I just can't ~tolerate, i.e. makeovers, best friends who are secretly in love with you, etc. And that the voice of the main character, Mimi, wasn't that ~extraordinaire. Maybe it was because of the fact that two wrote the story together and there was the struggle in character-building. ...more
Aug 10, 2011 Mary added it
I like the grittiness, and the primal-ness of this book. Highschool isn't prom-dresses and report-cards. Its sooooo much more than that.
Sep 16, 2011 Liralen rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, reviewed, z-2011, ya
I have an irrational love of this book.

I first read it a few years ago as an editorial intern at a YA & children's publishing house -- they'd received an ARC of this book and many others, which I spent much of my free time devouring -- and have read it multiple times since.

It's not actually a terribly unique story: girl (with family problems) moves to New York and tries to fit in with the cool crowd. All is going well until she screws things up and has to try to repair her newfound friendshi
Amy Snyder
Laura Sweeney
Jan 04, 2012 Laura Sweeney rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, ya-lit
Jun 14, 2012 Les rated it did not like it
Blech! Apparently being a "cool" student at this school involves: blowing off class and getting drunk in the bathroom, being a bitch to the only person who is nice to you (and then accepting her companionship only after you've nuked your friendship with everyone else), lying repeatedly to your dad, hitting on your dad's graduate assistant, being unable to sleep because you're afraid your new "friends" are going to reject you, spending a night topless gropping the guy you supposedly can't stand ( ...more
Aug 28, 2014 Stefanie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
I saw this book while browsing my local library and decided to give it a go. Let me just say I am glad that there is a sequel. When I finished this I felt like I was left hanging... It all ended very abruptly. Mimi had just reignited her friendship with the Coolies, things with Sam are all up in the air (I feel like they should get together) and all the signs point to her dad being gay yet at the end of the book he is going on a date with some random multi-divorcee woman.

Overall good but ultimat
Donna Burtwistle-Popplewell
While the entitled, shallow and self-absorbed characters made me want to vomit, the underlying struggles of fitting in and finding your identity in high school are presented well. When Mimi moves to NYC from Texas to live with her dad, she makes a bet with an old friend that she can find a place within the popular circle of girls who run the private school, of which she attends.
Feb 22, 2013 Alex rated it liked it
This wasn't a great book by any means, but it was enjoyable enough (though it was very reminiscent of Mean Girls and very predictable). It also included pretty much every YA cliche known to man.

I had a really hard time connecting with the main character, Mimi, though - she was such a shallow and judgmental person! I still didn't like her at the end of the book, but I did like her friends. Overall this was a quick and light read.

I have the sequel from the library already so I'll read it and see
Rodney Warner
Nov 24, 2013 Rodney Warner rated it liked it
In "The Rise and Fall of a 10th Grade Social Climber" by Lauren Mechling and Laura Moser, Mimi Schulman is only a semi-popular social queen at her school back in Houston. But yearning for more, Mimi moves to Manhattan looking for a more glamorous life. Her parents had just divorced, and she wanted out of her mother's and step-father's house. And even more intimidatingly fabulous, she had been accepted to the most prestigious, glitz and glam school even in all of New York possibly, The Baldwin S ...more
Angela Schaffer
Jan 28, 2014 Angela Schaffer rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
Meh. I read this book because I received it as an advance reading copy. I thought it might be a good recommendation for students, but I wasn't really impressed with it. It was trying to be a bit like Mean Girls, but where the cool girls weren't preppy, gorgeous Rachel McAdams types. Rather, they were hipsters with too thick mascara, socialite parents, and addiction problems. The protagonist, Mimi, is too snarky to really root for. In the end, when her friendship with the "coolies" is resolved, s ...more
Mar 07, 2014 Emma rated it it was ok
I liked reading this book but found it very hard to sympathize with the main character… she acted out to be what she thought "cool" was and completely alienated her best friend who was the one of the only characters in the book that actually loved her.
Tayla Williams
Apr 06, 2014 Tayla Williams rated it really liked it
15 year old girl who's parents split and she goes to live with her dad due to her disliking her Mum. She moves to look after her dad but only to get involved with the 'cool' crowd and drink and take drugs regularly.
With a witty-enough title and an interesting premise, I checked this book right away.

From reading the first page, I thought that I would've enjoyed it much more than I actually did.

Let's start with Sam.

I was unsure of what the author wanted us to feel towards him. He was a complete, utter douche. I had no idea why Mimi continued her friendship with him. He was overconfident and had way too much pride in himself.

And the romance between Sam and Mimi? It was almost laughable. There was no chemistr
Yamili Ramos
May 26, 2014 Yamili Ramos rated it really liked it
In 'The Rise and Fall of a 10th Grade Social Climber" by Lauren Mechling and Laura Moser it's an alright book. It's about a girl named Mimi Schulman that moves from Texas to her father apartment in New York. Her father and mother are getting divorce because her mother left her father for another guy Maurice who Mimi despises kind of. She going to live with her father back in New York and really doesn't know anybody over there except her fath obviously and her best- friend Sam that she has kept i ...more
Michael Burhans
This book was an odd duck. It was written well enough in a technical sense, but there were things about it that bothered me a great deal.

Every single adult in this was a caricature of a central casting archetype. None had a clue, and all were completely and totally oblivious to EVERYTHING going on in the lives of their children.

Not one male was anything better than venal and foolish.

The protagonist made friends by becoming a complete drunk with nobody noticing and no negative effects whatsoe
Sarah Crawford
Feb 11, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it
Mimi moves from Houston to New York. Her parents have separated and are on their way to a divorce, and Mimi moves from her mother's home to her father's. Her mother is the one who wants to end the marriage, having found someone else she is in love with.

In New York, Mimi attends a school that is run very differently from most others, and begins making friends. She has a chance to get into a clique of the most popular girls and takes that opportunity, although she basically turns her back on her
Aug 30, 2016 Jennifer rated it liked it
Probably closer to 2.5. It was ok but not great. The main character was often annoying and oblivious and her relationship with Sam was lacking. That being said it is nice to see a book that focuses more on friendship than just falling in love. Also good that it shows the good and bad side of the characters, people aren't just popular and bitchy but get to have a heart under the hard exterior.
There were plotlines that were introduced that went nowhere and others that just tapered off. I expected
Rachelia (Bookish Comforts)
Jun 24, 2016 Rachelia (Bookish Comforts) rated it it was amazing
Review from 17 year old me: SOOOOOOOO GOOD!! This book was so fun, sad, realistic (in some sense), and hilarious. I am absolutely buying the sequel book. And a third book is coming out too! I am incredibly glad I won this book because otherwise I do not think I would have read it, sadly.
  • More Confessions of a Hollywood Starlet
  • The Dating Game (Dating Game, #1)
  • The Crushes (Heartbreakers, #2)
  • The Life History of a Star
  • Rich Girls (Confessions of a Teen Nanny, #2)
  • 6X: The Uncensored Confessions (6X, #1)
  • Deep in the Heart of High School
  • Inside the Mind of Gideon Rayburn (Midvale Academy, #1)
  • Flavor of the Week
  • Nice Girls Finish First
  • Break Every Rule (Insiders, #4)
  • Poser
  • A Fate Totally Worse Than Death
  • Hazing Meri Sugarman
  • Fairest of Them All
  • South Beach (Alexa & Holly, #1)
  • The Queen of Second Place (The Queen Companion Novels Book 1)
Lauren Mechling grew up in Brooklyn, New York, and graduated from Harvard College.
She writes a weekly column for the New York Sun, where she has also been a crime reporter, and she has written for several other publications including the Wall Street Journal and Seventeen Magazine.
More about Lauren Mechling...

10th Grade Social Climber (3 books)
  • All Q, No A: More Tales of a 10th-Grade Social Climber