Start by marking “The Rise and Fall of a 10th Grade Social Climber” as Want to Read:
The Rise and Fall of a 10th Grade Social Climber

The Rise and Fall of a 10th Grade Social Climber (10th Grade Social Climber #1)

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  451 ratings  ·  46 reviews
After the collapse of her parents’ marriage, Mimi Schulman leaves her mother in Houston to look after her befuddled photographer father in New York. Too preoccupied with family problems to think much about her new life, Mimi’s first hour at The Baldwin School—an institution where teachers offer psychoanalysis in lieu of grades and students hold cocktail parties in the bath ...more
Published May 30th 2005 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Rise and Fall of a 10th Grade Social Climber, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rise and Fall of a 10th Grade Social Climber

Pretty Little Liars by Sara ShepardThe Lying Game by Sara ShepardThe It Girl by Cecily von ZiegesarThe Clique by Lisi HarrisonGossip Girl by Cecily von Ziegesar
Cliques & Mean Girls
102nd out of 196 books — 20 voters
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingPrincess Academy by Shannon HaleUglies by Scott WesterfeldElsewhere by Gabrielle ZevinInkspell by Cornelia Funke
YA Novels of 2005
38th out of 154 books — 59 voters

More lists with this book...

Les
Blech! Apparently being a "cool" student at this school involves: blowing off class and getting drunk in the bathroom, being a bitch to the only person who is nice to you (and then accepting her companionship only after you've nuked your friendship with everyone else), lying repeatedly to your dad, hitting on your dad's graduate assistant, being unable to sleep because you're afraid your new "friends" are going to reject you, spending a night topless gropping the guy you supposedly can't stand ( ...more
Lucy
Jan 18, 2010 Lucy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who haven't been and never will go to NY b/c they won't find out how wrong this book is.
Recommended to Lucy by: Borders' "under $5" pile.
Shelves: pink-books
Yamili Ramos
In 'The Rise and Fall of a 10th Grade Social Climber" by Lauren Mechling and Laura Moser it's an alright book. It's about a girl named Mimi Schulman that moves from Texas to her father apartment in New York. Her father and mother are getting divorce because her mother left her father for another guy Maurice who Mimi despises kind of. She going to live with her father back in New York and really doesn't know anybody over there except her fath obviously and her best- friend Sam that she has kept i ...more
Aria
With a witty-enough title and an interesting premise, I checked this book right away.

From reading the first page, I thought that I would've enjoyed it much more than I actually did.

Let's start with Sam.

I was unsure of what the author wanted us to feel towards him. He was a complete, utter douche. I had no idea why Mimi continued her friendship with him. He was overconfident and had way too much pride in himself.

And the romance between Sam and Mimi? It was almost laughable. There was no chemistr
Michael Burhans
This book was an odd duck. It was written well enough in a technical sense, but there were things about it that bothered me a great deal.

Every single adult in this was a caricature of a central casting archetype. None had a clue, and all were completely and totally oblivious to EVERYTHING going on in the lives of their children.

Not one male was anything better than venal and foolish.

The protagonist made friends by becoming a complete drunk with nobody noticing and no negative effects whatsoe
Angela Schaffer
Meh. I read this book because I received it as an advance reading copy. I thought it might be a good recommendation for students, but I wasn't really impressed with it. It was trying to be a bit like Mean Girls, but where the cool girls weren't preppy, gorgeous Rachel McAdams types. Rather, they were hipsters with too thick mascara, socialite parents, and addiction problems. The protagonist, Mimi, is too snarky to really root for. In the end, when her friendship with the "coolies" is resolved, s ...more
Brittni
Wow! I was hoping I'd like this book--since all of the others I'd heard good things about didn't turn out so well, I was a little afraid--but I wasn't expecting to like this as much as I did. I'm pleasantly surprised.

This book's about an everyday girl from Texas moving to New York City to live with her dad while she attends a prestigious boarding school. The depiction of Baldwin school is so attractive...not something we get to read about often in books. It's concerned with the arts, so there's
Liralen
I have an irrational love of this book.

I first read it a few years ago as an editorial intern at a YA & children's publishing house -- they'd received an ARC of this book and many others, which I spent much of my free time devouring -- and have read it multiple times since.

It's not actually a terribly unique story: girl (with family problems) moves to New York and tries to fit in with the cool crowd. All is going well until she screws things up and has to try to repair her newfound friendshi
Laura Sweeney
Rodney Warner
In "The Rise and Fall of a 10th Grade Social Climber" by Lauren Mechling and Laura Moser, Mimi Schulman is only a semi-popular social queen at her school back in Houston. But yearning for more, Mimi moves to Manhattan looking for a more glamorous life. Her parents had just divorced, and she wanted out of her mother's and step-father's house. And even more intimidatingly fabulous, she had been accepted to the most prestigious, glitz and glam school even in all of New York possibly, The Baldwin S ...more
Amy Snyder
kb
I wanted to like this much more than I do because it promised, if not followed, the story line of one of my favorite movies in the entire world that is Mean Girls. But there are just some use of cliches in it that I just can't ~tolerate, i.e. makeovers, best friends who are secretly in love with you, etc. And that the voice of the main character, Mimi, wasn't that ~extraordinaire. Maybe it was because of the fact that two wrote the story together and there was the struggle in character-building. ...more
Emma
I liked reading this book but found it very hard to sympathize with the main character… she acted out to be what she thought "cool" was and completely alienated her best friend who was the one of the only characters in the book that actually loved her.
Tayla Williams
15 year old girl who's parents split and she goes to live with her dad due to her disliking her Mum. She moves to look after her dad but only to get involved with the 'cool' crowd and drink and take drugs regularly.
Alex
This wasn't a great book by any means, but it was enjoyable enough (though it was very reminiscent of Mean Girls and very predictable). It also included pretty much every YA cliche known to man.

I had a really hard time connecting with the main character, Mimi, though - she was such a shallow and judgmental person! I still didn't like her at the end of the book, but I did like her friends. Overall this was a quick and light read.

I have the sequel from the library already so I'll read it and see
Meryl
Jun 25, 2009 Meryl rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: NO ONE!!!
Shelves: waste-of-paper
This is one of THE most boring books I've ever dragged myself through in a long time. The only okay part was the first couple of chapters, but after that, it sucked. I couldn't quite get what was happening until it was over, the charcters were annoying, the MAIN character was so crappy I wanted to slap her for being so ditzy, and I couldn't remember the characters by name OR appearence. It was awful. I hated it and I hope I can be smarter next time I choose a book to read.
...Geez, I'm not even i
Stefanie
I saw this book while browsing my local library and decided to give it a go. Let me just say I am glad that there is a sequel. When I finished this I felt like I was left hanging... It all ended very abruptly. Mimi had just reignited her friendship with the Coolies, things with Sam are all up in the air (I feel like they should get together) and all the signs point to her dad being gay yet at the end of the book he is going on a date with some random multi-divorcee woman.

Overall good but ultimat
Donna Burtwistle-Popplewell
While the entitled, shallow and self-absorbed characters made me want to vomit, the underlying struggles of fitting in and finding your identity in high school are presented well. When Mimi moves to NYC from Texas to live with her dad, she makes a bet with an old friend that she can find a place within the popular circle of girls who run the private school, of which she attends.
'stina
Nov 18, 2008 'stina rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to 'stina by: Laura Moser
Shelves: 2008
I bought this because a friend of my sister's wrote it. But I'm not sure I'd recommend it. Again, I got annoyed with the main character and I didn't really see any real lessons learned by anyone. Almost everyone in the book annoyed me, and I was particularly irritated with the Houston scenes. I wanted to like it, but I'm not sure that I was the demographic aimed at.
Kimberley
I luv this book..its about a girl....who goes to this new schoo.....who her child hood friend sam Sam who she ashn't seen in a while goes...to and her Friend Sam dares her to try and fir in the popular girl..which she gets done..but will her new grup of freinds choose her as friends?....will they find out that its just an aact..? Something..like that
Meghan Svien
1.This book so far is a good book, i havent got to far into it but i like it! The girls Parntes marriage fall apart and her mom lives in one state and her dad lives in a differnet.

2.I havent got to read much since iv been in the hospital. Iv tried to read as much as I could.
Jenna
Now, I love Mean Girls as much as the next teen-movie lover. But, Mean Girls has been done, and this book, about a teenage girl moving to a new town and making a bet that she can become friends with the cool group of girls, is it all over again. Boring.
Kirsty
This book was pretty transparent, although I guess I didn't really expect it to be much more than that. There were quite a few loose ends that I thought could have been tied up but weren't. That said, it was a very easy, enjoyable book to read.
When her best friend dares her to become part of the popular crowd and record her experiences in a diary, fifteen-year-old Mimi's world turns upside down when the diary gets into the wrong hands.
Ratforce
The Rise and Fall of a Tenth-grade Social Climber by Lauren Mechling and Laura Moser is a bit edgier than the Gossip Girl series but has similar themes, such as the rich people and teenage girls.
Jamie
A PG rated Gossip Girl. Fun, maybe a smidge long, with a strangely abrupt ending (what happens to Amanda and her Dad? I know Mimi is self centered, but still, not even a "Bye?")
Francesca Lazzaro
I really liked this book because it was funny and since I am a tenth grader, I can relate. I liked the plot and enjoyed the New York City setting.
Mary
Aug 10, 2011 Mary added it
I like the grittiness, and the primal-ness of this book. Highschool isn't prom-dresses and report-cards. Its sooooo much more than that.
Chelsea
this book was amazing! i would love to read it again and again. it truly taps into the n.y. social life and has a kindmessage at the end
Alina
  • More Confessions of a Hollywood Starlet
  • The Dating Game (Dating Game, #1)
  • The Crushes (Heartbreakers, #2)
  • The Life History of a Star
  • Rich Girls (Confessions of a Teen Nanny, #2)
  • 6X: The Uncensored Confessions (6X, #1)
  • The Dashwood Sisters' Secrets of Love
  • Inside the Mind of Gideon Rayburn (Midvale Academy, #1)
  • What If . . . All the Boys Wanted You
  • Take It Off (Insiders, #3)
  • South Beach (Alexa & Holly, #1)
  • Fairest of Them All
  • Poser
  • Hazing Meri Sugarman
  • Organizing from the Inside Out for Teens: The Foolproof System for Organizing Your Room, Your Time, and Your Life
  • Storky: How I Lost My Nickname and Won the Girl
Lauren Mechling grew up in Brooklyn, New York, and graduated from Harvard College.
She writes a weekly column for the New York Sun, where she has also been a crime reporter, and she has written for several other publications including the Wall Street Journal and Seventeen Magazine.
More about Lauren Mechling...

10th Grade Social Climber (3 books)
  • All Q, No A: More Tales of a 10th-Grade Social Climber
  • Foreign Exposure: The Social Climber Abroad
Dream Girl Dream Life All Q, No A: More Tales of a 10th-Grade Social Climber Foreign Exposure: The Social Climber Abroad