Start by marking “Joan of Arc” as Want to Read:
Joan of Arc

Joan of Arc (Penguin Lives)

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  302 ratings  ·  42 reviews
One would expect nothing less from Gordon (Spending) than a splendid, spare account of Joan's life -- and she delivers in this slender but satisfying account, a new entry in the Penguin Lives series. The facts of Joan of Arc's life are straightforward: she was born in 1412, in Domremy, France, to a peasant family; she participated in the Hundred Years' War but was in activ ...more
Published March 20th 2000 by Viking Adult (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Joan of Arc, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Joan of Arc

The Triumph of the Moon by Ronald HuttonSalem Possessed by Paul S. BoyerThe Devil in Massachusetts by Marion L. StarkeyThe Salem Witch Trials Reader by Frances HillThe Spanish Inquisition by Joseph Pérez
Witchcraft and Witch-hunts in History
11th out of 50 books — 56 voters
A Distant Mirror by Barbara W. TuchmanEleanor of Aquitaine by Alison WeirMarie Antoinette by Antonia FraserCitizens by Simon SchamaReflections on the Revolution in France by Edmund Burke
French History
89th out of 239 books — 63 voters

More lists with this book...

I would have given the book a higher rating if it hadn't been for the last chapter. I had no desire to read about all the things ever created using Joan of Arc as the protagonist. Boring. Gordon went a long way in establishing the context surrounding Joan; how Joan fit into society and how that society was created the myth, legend and icon that is Joan of Arc. It very intriguing how an uneducated, religious peasant girl is able to lead the army of France into battle to allow the dauphin Charles ...more
Donald Jodon
This is a good book, but ultimately it is not something spectacular. Mary Gordon does a good job of trying to relate Joan of Arc to a modern audience. But the biography is just too short to be considered anything but a topical look at the life of one of the Catholic Churches oddest saints. She did hear voices from God telling her what to do, but the book almost has you thinking "well, she was crazy, not religious". I don't think this is true, but the material presented is so brief that this imag ...more
Close your eyes and try to think back to when you were nineteen years-old. What did you accomplish in your life up until that point? Whatever it was, it probably doesn't compare to Joan of Arc, the young French girl who left home, became a soldier, led French troops to victory, and then eventually crowned the King of France. And if that wasn't enough, the Catholic Church made her a saint (but that was long after she had died). If your looking for a biography on a historical figure who inspires, ...more
I enjoyed this book, but feel like it only skimmed the surface about Joan of Arc. She's still as enigmatic to me now as she was before I read the book. I wish the author had gone a little deeper and actually proposed some explanation as to what was motivating Joan. Or, some would say, what was wrong with Joan. There were theories, but they seemed very disorganized to me. Just a lot of "maybes." But, still, a good read for someone who is just being introduced to Joan of Arc.
This book was atypical of my reads, which might explain why I took a while to finish. It had some gems of insight into Joan's life - quotes about Joan that appealed to me. I appreciated the focus on her military experience rather than a drawn out narrative of her childhood.
Claire Baxter
Good introduction however there was a lot of commentary about femininity and attitudes towards virginity rather than the story of her life. This was still interesting in itself however in such a brief book I thought it was a bit unbalanced
Whether or not you believe her voices were real, it is an undeniable fact that Jeanne d'Arc, a.k.a. Joan of Arc in English, was a remarkable and incredible person who accomplished things that should have been impossible or, at the very least, highly improbable. Hardly anyone would expect much from a young and illiterate peasant girl, after all. Not then, and not now. Part of what makes her so incredible is the simple fact that she was real, she existed. She's not a figure or character born of my ...more
Mary Gordon reviews the life of Joan of Arc in this short biography in the Penquin Lives series. Joan is a hard person to fully appreciate. She was an uneducated, illiterate peasant in a land gripped by civil war as the English and their Bergundian allies were on the verge of victory over Charles VII, a dauphin who aspired to the throne but had only a weak grasp of it and was widely viewed as an illegitimate son not entitled to be King.

Enter Joan who at age 14 had visions that she should remain
As good as biographies get, this one was pretty good. I personally am not a fan of spending precious time in my life reading about someone else's (not that I'm saying books like this are a waste of time, they're just not my favorite thing). And as for the story itself, no one can say it's not at least interesting.

Joan of Arc was born in a small village in France in 1412, during the climax of the Hundred Year's war. At 12 she started talking to the voices she heard, supposedly from saints, that c
This was a very quick read, short and packed. You get the historical setting of the time, the 100 Year War, the factions - more than just French versus English, the characters, and of course the Inquisition. You know it ends badly but it's fascinating to read how it all transpires. Though the transcript of the trail must be long and well, boring, this book still makes you want more and so there's the thought, we'll maybe I'd like to read the trail. She sounds pretty insolent. The gall (Gaul) of ...more
Mary-Rose MacColl
Mary Gordon's little biography of Joan of Arc is an absolute treat. She tells us Joan defies categories and that her personal Joan is a young girl with “… a young girl’s heedlessness, sureness, readiness for utter self-surrender.” Gordon pursues Joan as this young girl which gives her work warmth and power and provides a context in which faith, courage, brashness, cross-dressing and virginity sit comfortably.

While Gordon believes Joan is much more interesting as herself than as the hero of our n
Kiran Poet
Short, bittersweet, to the point; Mary Gordon delivered. Joan of Arc received the honor she deserved. Nothing was lost and much insight was gained reading this gem of a book. If not for having loved Chapters 1-6 and 8, Chapter 7 would had been pointless.

Mary Gordon reviews The Messenger and Joan of Arc in Chapter 7. Milla Jovovich starred in The Messenger and Leelee Sobieski in Joan of Arc. Mary Gordon said of Sobieski, "...looks the part, although she delivers her lines with the flatness of a d
FROM THE INTRODUCTION: "If I could, I would begin this study in a way that would defy the limits of space and time. I call it a study, or a meditation, hesitating over the honorable term biography, with its promise of authority, of scholarship, of scope and sweep. Ideally, I would present you not with pages, but with an envelope of paper strips, each with some words written on it, and a series of snapshots. I would have you open the envelope, drop the strips and photographs onto the floor, then ...more
Too much opinion, not enough reportage. Thin on the kind of historical detail one would expect from a biography. However, Joan's essence--including her contradictions and mysterious nature--is represented well.
Arlene Allen
with over twenty thousand works about Joan of Arc it was hard for Gordon to narrow down her focus, especially for such a small volume. I felt I only got a tip of the ice berg into who she really was.
Not a bad introductory read to Joan of Arc's life, but definitely left me wanting more on her life. Very quick read.
An interesting account of a topic I had always been fascinated in but knew little about.
Solid history/account and I learned a lot.
Read Pearl - August 2005
I picked this up with the Sam Harris, which I suppose was my way of balancing atheism with some sense of the history and scope of Christianity in our world. It was an interesting read, although I definitely enjoyed the subject more than the writing - Gordon obviously cherished her subject's complexity, and respected the limitations of our knowledge of her, but the language got a little too lofty. and i like lofty language.
What did she look like, anyway? Best guess is that she was a short stocky peasant-type, not the willowy pretty figure that any number of movies have made her out to be. Interesting fact: over 20,000 books about her in the Bibliotheque Nationale in Paris - people read themselves into her, mainly that the most unlike people have tremendous potential in themselves, and so she never goes out of date.
Who knew how witty and irascible Joan of Arc was? Gordon brings the girl to life in this brief, well-researched and insightful account. An enjoyable read, the youth and contradictory words and actions of this misunderstood 17 year-old girl are fresh and endearing. If you know nothing about Joan, check this out. You'll discover a new friend and won't be disappointed.
One of the wonderful Penguin Lives series this examination of Joan as a complex, admirable young woman whose spirit could still inspire today's young women, puts to rest any old scepticism about the effect of "hearing voices." That one issue would seem to be the only drawback to seeing Joan as a protofeminist.
More than a chronology of Joan's life, this is more in the form of essays commenting on different aspects of her life and legend. Gordon is an astute and absorbing writer, and this is very enjoyable to anyone who has an interest in the life of Joan of Arc.
This book is about the French peasant leader, from medieval Europe, Joan Of Arc. It's very interesting book, for those who are interesed in history. This book is about the biography of Joan of Arc, from her birth, to her death and becoming a saint.
Bill Wrabley
Good overall treatment but brief. Also it was a little too dispassionate. Joan's story is so amazing, even if you don't believe that God spoke to her, that I would have to think your writing would be more lively.
Pete daPixie
I read this in one afternoon. I didn't really get off on Mary Gordon's work. She's not a historian. No maps! No new info on Joan d'Arc. The French were fighting the British for god's sake.
Just Plain Ray
After trying to read it, I still didn't get it. Although Joan of Arc may be someone who's life is very interesting, the book made it seem like the most boring thing EVER!
I've always been curious about this woman. This author did a good job in presenting the material and laying out the story as documented in written materials of the time of place.
  • Joan of Arc: Her Story
  • Saint Augustine (Lives Biographies)
  • Crazy Horse: A Life (Penguin Lives Biographies)
  • She Captains: Heroines and Hellions of the Sea
  • Joan of Arc: The Image of Female Heroism
  • Rosa Parks: A Life
  • Tamerlane: Sword of Islam, Conqueror of the World
  • Marriage and the Family in the Middle Ages
  • Joan of Arc
  • Robert E. Lee
  • The Pirate Queen: In Search of Grace O'Malley and Other Legendary Women of the Sea
  • Simone Weil
  • Mao Zedong: A Life
  • Queen of the Conqueror: The Life of Matilda, Wife of William I
  • Mozart: A Life
  • Unforgettable, My Love Has Come Along
  • Empress of Rome: The Life of Livia
  • The Age of Bede
Mary Gordon was born in Far Rockaway, New York, to Anna Gagliano Gordon, an Italian-Irish Catholic mother, and David Gordon, a Jewish father who converted to Catholicism. While growing up, she attended Holy Name of Mary School in Valley Stream and for high school attended The Mary Louis Academy in Jamaica, N.Y.. She is Catholic.

She received her A.B. from Barnard College in 1971, and her M.A. from
More about Mary Gordon...

Penguin Lives (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Martin Luther
  • Winston Churchill
  • Virginia Woolf
  • Julia Child
  • Abraham Lincoln
  • Charles Dickens
  • Crazy Horse: A Life (Penguin Lives Biographies)
  • Frank Lloyd Wright
  • Saint Augustine (Lives Biographies)
  • Martin Luther King, Jr.: A Life