Smoker

Smoker (Atticus Kodiak #3)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  551 ratings  ·  21 reviews
In Smoker, Greg Rucka's fast-paced and entertaining pulse-pounder, it appears that down-and-out bodyguard Atticus Kodiak is in way over his head, especially when he's matched against one of the most deadly, efficient, and skilled assassins in the world. Smoker is a taut, gripping, and suspenseful jackhammer of a thriller.
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published November 1st 2000 by Recorded Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Smoker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smoker

Jacob
Although I did not find it as engaging as "Finder", Greg Rucka's third installment of the Atticus Kodiak series entitled "Smoker" is a taught thriller that in some ways works as an amalgam of the elements that preceded it. There is the threat centered around a controversial subject as it was in "Keeper" but the professional vs. professional angle of the threat seems more in keeping with book two and we can see the transition the series is beginning to make where Atticus is being drawn into a wor...more
Kevin
Rucka herds a large gallery of complex characters through fun action and emotional character development. You get to see the cutting edge tech of the 90s (and realize how far we've come) and plenty of interesting characters. He seems to have dropped the shallow quirks some characters had in earlier novels which is also nice. Also Rucka has a lot of very interesting women in his books that are just as deep and strong and sexual as the men. It's easy to admire his main character's moral stance on...more
Ensiform
The third Atticus Kodiak novel, in which the bodyguard is hired to protect the star witness in an anti-tobacco lawsuit. See, Big Tobacco has hired one of the Ten, as in the ten best assassins in the world, to off the former executive before he can make his damaging deposition against the company. It's a pretty thrilling 300 pages, filled with Rucka's usual attention to detail and authentically dangerous action (characters die, Atticus gets wounded, things go wrong). Still, although Rucka's femal...more
Daryl
I don't often read books in the mystery/thriller/adventure genre, though I'm not sure why, 'cause when I do, I usually enjoy them. I've read Rucka's previous two Atticus Kodiak novels, and this one was a nice addition. I find it interesting that Kodiak's not a private detective or something like that, and that there's no real mystery here. Kodiak's a professional bodyguard, and his task here is simply to protect and keep alive his client. Rucka's style makes for a smooth read, and he really know...more
John Watt
Spoiler Alert!!

My favorite of the Atticus Kodiak novels. This is the book which introduces Domino. this is a great cat and mouse story of how she tries to assassinate her target and Atticus' moves to stop her. Of course Atticus prevents to assassination. It is this story which sets the tone and leads to all of the Atticus stories which follow. Great character creation and again Rucka does not fail to pull punches, while Atticus succeeds there are consequences which follow.
Danny
Kodiak #3. Smoker as it turns out introduces a very key character in the Kodiak universe although you wouldn't know it at the time. In this book Atticus ends up protecting a big tobacco whistle blower named Pugh from one of the primier assasins in the world known only as John Doe.
Mike
Nov 19, 2007 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like a good thriller
Wait, didn't i say that about another Rucka book? Yeah, bit of a fan. His heroes are noble and flawed, his villains smart and motivated, and the action arely goes where the reader thinks it will. Definitely a smart roller coaster of a book and an author worth paying attention to.
Dana Stabenow
Even though it appears I dropped in on them mid-series, I liked the characters. The plot strains credulity --I can't imagine that after the first assassination that the police wouldn't step in in a big way. Good writing and a strong voice, though, I'd read the rest of them.
Joey Cruz
If you divide the Kodiak series into "Eras" (which I do), Smoker is the best of the first era (Keeper, Finder, Smoker). Professional body guard vs. Professional assassin. Nuff said.
Drew
Great character development. Very similar to his previous books in this series, except this time Atticus has a very skilled foe- one of the top assassins in the world.
Matt
Rucka is awesome. I'm really enjoying these early Kodiak books, even though they don't have nearly the punch of his later work (Queen & Country is aces!)
Kathy
This is a must read. If you are looking for an new Supsense, Thriller, author, pick up the Atticus Kodiak series. I'm in love with Atticus..
David
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The action didn't stop from beginning to end. Very suspenseful.
Alan
Thriller slash evil corporation thriller. Not great, but OK.
Mary Fitzsimons
First book of the New Year and a good one!
Injuneer
Jerry Pinkard
My favorite Atticus Kodiac novel yet.
Aaron
May 01, 2007 Aaron rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone and Everyone
So, so, so good.
Nicholas Kelley
Nicholas Kelley marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Thomas
Thomas added it
Aug 30, 2014
Will
Will added it
Aug 29, 2014
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
  • Severance Package
  • Shella
  • Queen and Country: The Definitive Edition, Vol. 4
  • Scoundrel
  • The Midnight Road
  • Maze of Worlds
  • Walking the Perfect Square (Moe Prager #1)
  • Do No Harm
  • Heart of Light (Magical British Empire, #1)
  • Shadow Fall (Shadowchasers, #3)
  • Double Cross (Haggerty Mystery, #7)
  • Mercy Kill (Mercy Gunderson Mystery, #2)
  • Slayground (Parker, #14)
  • Criminal, Vol. 4: Bad Night
  • Modesty Blaise (Modesty Blaise, #1)
  • Illegal Possession
  • Where All the Dead Lie (Taylor Jackson, #7)
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 11: Once Upon a Crime
Greg Rucka, is an American comic book writer and novelist, known for his work on such comics as Action Comics, Batwoman: Detective Comics, and the miniseries Superman: World of New Krypton for DC Comics, and for novels such as his Queen & Country series.
More about Greg Rucka...
Batwoman: Elegy Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 3 Lazarus, Vol. 1: Family Batman: No Man's Land Queen and Country: The Definitive Edition, Vol. 1