Start by marking “Smoker” as Want to Read:
Smoker

Smoker (Atticus Kodiak #3)

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  669 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
In Smoker, Greg Rucka's fast-paced and entertaining pulse-pounder, it appears that down-and-out bodyguard Atticus Kodiak is in way over his head, especially when he's matched against one of the most deadly, efficient, and skilled assassins in the world. Smoker is a taut, gripping, and suspenseful jackhammer of a thriller.
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published November 1st 2000 by Recorded Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Smoker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smoker

May
Feb 04, 2015 May rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
"Smoker" is the third book in the Atticus Kodiak series by Greg Rucka. The author has become my favorite author in the thriller genre for his clever plots, well-rounded characters, and lack of overly gratuitous violence (although violence there is--it is the thriller genre, after all).
This book has the cleverest plot of the series, so far. Atticus Kodiak is hired to protect someone with a stalker girlfriend, and through some clever twists and turns, it turns out that that is the least of Atticus
J.
Sep 23, 2012 J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I did not find it as engaging as "Finder", Greg Rucka's third installment of the Atticus Kodiak series entitled "Smoker" is a taught thriller that in some ways works as an amalgam of the elements that preceded it. There is the threat centered around a controversial subject as it was in "Keeper" but the professional vs. professional angle of the threat seems more in keeping with book two and we can see the transition the series is beginning to make where Atticus is being drawn into a wor ...more
Kevin
Oct 21, 2009 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rucka herds a large gallery of complex characters through fun action and emotional character development. You get to see the cutting edge tech of the 90s (and realize how far we've come) and plenty of interesting characters. He seems to have dropped the shallow quirks some characters had in earlier novels which is also nice. Also Rucka has a lot of very interesting women in his books that are just as deep and strong and sexual as the men. It's easy to admire his main character's moral stance on ...more
Ensiform
Feb 20, 2012 Ensiform rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The third Atticus Kodiak novel, in which the bodyguard is hired to protect the star witness in an anti-tobacco lawsuit. See, Big Tobacco has hired one of the Ten, as in the ten best assassins in the world, to off the former executive before he can make his damaging deposition against the company. It's a pretty thrilling 300 pages, filled with Rucka's usual attention to detail and authentically dangerous action (characters die, Atticus gets wounded, things go wrong). Still, although Rucka's femal ...more
Dan
Dec 31, 2015 Dan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this book, and it was a good read. I never heard of the author before, but he writes like an established writer, similar to James Patterson.
This book was the third of the Atticus Kodiak series; I'll have to read all of the books now.
Do yourself a favor and read this series, especially if you like well-written thrillers. 5 stars
Kevin Duvall
Nov 16, 2014 Kevin Duvall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very well written and socially relevant thriller held back a little by a mildly underwhelming ending (or, at least, one that made the book a tad less satisfying as a standalone story).
Daryl
Dec 21, 2012 Daryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
I don't often read books in the mystery/thriller/adventure genre, though I'm not sure why, 'cause when I do, I usually enjoy them. I've read Rucka's previous two Atticus Kodiak novels, and this one was a nice addition. I find it interesting that Kodiak's not a private detective or something like that, and that there's no real mystery here. Kodiak's a professional bodyguard, and his task here is simply to protect and keep alive his client. Rucka's style makes for a smooth read, and he really know ...more
Erica McGillivray
Jan 27, 2016 Erica McGillivray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best book in the series so far. Always a fan of Rucka's writing.
Jonathan
Feb 26, 2015 Jonathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good yarn form Greg Rucka.
John Watt
Spoiler Alert!!

My favorite of the Atticus Kodiak novels. This is the book which introduces Domino. this is a great cat and mouse story of how she tries to assassinate her target and Atticus' moves to stop her. Of course Atticus prevents to assassination. It is this story which sets the tone and leads to all of the Atticus stories which follow. Great character creation and again Rucka does not fail to pull punches, while Atticus succeeds there are consequences which follow.
Danny
Oct 28, 2009 Danny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rucka
Kodiak #3. Smoker as it turns out introduces a very key character in the Kodiak universe although you wouldn't know it at the time. In this book Atticus ends up protecting a big tobacco whistle blower named Pugh from one of the primier assasins in the world known only as John Doe.
Mike
Nov 19, 2007 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like a good thriller
Wait, didn't i say that about another Rucka book? Yeah, bit of a fan. His heroes are noble and flawed, his villains smart and motivated, and the action arely goes where the reader thinks it will. Definitely a smart roller coaster of a book and an author worth paying attention to.
Dana Stabenow
Even though it appears I dropped in on them mid-series, I liked the characters. The plot strains credulity --I can't imagine that after the first assassination that the police wouldn't step in in a big way. Good writing and a strong voice, though, I'd read the rest of them.
Joey Cruz
Aug 10, 2011 Joey Cruz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you divide the Kodiak series into "Eras" (which I do), Smoker is the best of the first era (Keeper, Finder, Smoker). Professional body guard vs. Professional assassin. Nuff said.
Drew
Aug 11, 2010 Drew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great character development. Very similar to his previous books in this series, except this time Atticus has a very skilled foe- one of the top assassins in the world.
Matt
May 26, 2008 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rucka is awesome. I'm really enjoying these early Kodiak books, even though they don't have nearly the punch of his later work (Queen & Country is aces!)
Kathy
Nov 08, 2013 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a must read. If you are looking for an new Supsense, Thriller, author, pick up the Atticus Kodiak series. I'm in love with Atticus..
David
May 30, 2011 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The action didn't stop from beginning to end. Very suspenseful.
Alan
Mar 30, 2011 Alan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: popular-fiction
Thriller slash evil corporation thriller. Not great, but OK.
Mary Fitzsimons
Jan 01, 2011 Mary Fitzsimons rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First book of the New Year and a good one!
Injuneer
Jerry Pinkard
Jul 23, 2008 Jerry Pinkard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
My favorite Atticus Kodiac novel yet.
Petia Vladimirova
Sep 15, 2015 Petia Vladimirova rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It worth it!
Sajeev
Oct 07, 2007 Sajeev rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Superficial
Maggie
Maggie rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Shomshon
Shomshon rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2016
  • Severance Package: A Novel
  • Shella
  • Asphyxia
  • Soul of Fire (Magical British Empire, #2)
  • Scoundrel
  • Maze of Worlds
  • Blink of An Eye
  • Accidental Private Eye
  • Run
  • Brain Storm
  • Mosaic
  • The Midnight Road
  • The Glass Shoe (Once Upon a Time, #2)
  • Road Kill (Charlie Fox Thriller #5)
  • Criminal, Vol. 4: Bad Night (Criminal, #4)
  • Christmas in Haggerty
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 11: Once Upon a Crime
Greg Rucka, is an American comic book writer and novelist, known for his work on such comics as Action Comics, Batwoman: Detective Comics, and the miniseries Superman: World of New Krypton for DC Comics, and for novels such as his Queen & Country series.
More about Greg Rucka...

Atticus Kodiak (7 books)
  • Keeper
  • Finder
  • Shooting at Midnight
  • Critical Space
  • Patriot Acts (Atticus Kodiak, #6)
  • Walking Dead