La Guinguette a Deux Sous

La Guinguette a Deux Sous (Maigret #11)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  344 ratings  ·  45 reviews
The social life of a local tavern may not be as congenial as it first seemed. Maigret learns of an unreported murder when condemned prisoner Jean Lenoir confesses that he and his partner witnessed someone dumping a lifeless body into the Canal Saint-Martin. Lenoir blackmailed the murderer, who squirmed away and wasn't seen again until one evenig at a local tavern, the Guin...more
Paperback
Published April 1st 2005 by Livre de Poche (first published 1931)

Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
For the most part, this felt like a below-average outing for the stalwart Inspector, but Simenon knows how to turn the screw, and does so to great effect in the last few pages of the novel.

Along the way, we're treated to a brilliant exposition of Maigret's lack-of-a-method:

'He had handled hundreds of cases in his time and he knew that they nearly always fell into two distinct phases. Firstly, coming into contact with a new environment, with people he had never even heard of the day before, wi...more
John
As others have mentioned, the "Maigret Method" is explicitly outlined in this novel. What I love is how Maigret inevitably becomes personally involved. For Maigret, there's no way to catch a criminal without understanding a criminal. And in some sense, understanding always involves love. Maigret solves cases by loving his enemy.

Jim
Georges Simenon's Inspector Maigret is one of the most unusual characters in all of detective fiction. Instead of following the lead set by Edgar Allan Poe in the "tale of ratiocination" and of Arthur Conan Doyle with his wizard of 221b Baker Street, Simenon gives us a gallic policeman who solves crimes just by being there at the right time and place. It is through a sheer knot of concentrated intent that Maigret puts himself into the scene of the crime and waits until all the diverse threads be...more
Maureen
i liked this maigret one even more than the first i read. i was worried when it began, that the books would be too formulaic, as there was a prisoner condemned to die right at the beginning of this one as well. but in this one, he isn't set free so that maigret may solve the crime, he is executed, as ordained but! not before he tips off maigret to another unsolved murder which takes him away to a little weekend hideaway, outside of paris, where he comes upon a group of people who really live onl...more
J
A dearth of classic mysteries at the library sent me to trawl the shelves of the local used bookstore, albeit without much hope. I was delighted not only to find a Simenon novel, but one I hadn't yet read (and more delighted to be charged only a dollar for it). The Bar on the Seine is a good story, although I'm not too sure it's a great mystery. Maigret's peculiar approach to detection is intuition- and hunch-based, and while the other Maigret stories I've read made sure to include lots of stand...more
Sandra
Un condannato a morte, vecchia conoscenza di Maigret, prima dell’esecuzione confida al commissario di aver assistito, anni prima, insieme ad un suo compare, all’assassinio di un uomo il cui corpo è stato gettato nella Senna. Il fatto fu commesso “nella balera da due soldi”. Nessun altro indizio. Da qui il commissario Maigret comincia ad indagare in una combriccola di borghesi parigini, benestanti, che nel fine settimana si divertono in campagna bevendo e scherzando in un’osteria in riva alla Sen...more
Paul Secor
I'd read a few pages of The Bar on the Seine when I realized that I'd read it about 30 years ago. Back then, I think that I read it more to discover the perpetrator of the crime. This time, the solution to the mystery didn't matter to me - even though I had forgotten who had committed the crime - and I read the novel for the psychology of the characters and for the milieu described in the book.
One of Simenon's most perfect Maigret novels.
Tfitoby
I just really love reading these little gems from Simenon. Maigret is always such a great character.

Whilst I really liked this one I felt there was something missing, perhaps because it was an early Maigret Simenon had found his sense of fun with the character yet, perhaps he just didn't eat nearly as much as usual. Another concern is that it was a new translation of the original French text and it may have been that which added a more staid modern touch which I had not found in earlier translat...more
Tony
20. THE BAR ON THE SEINE. (1931; trans. 2003). George Simenon. ****.
Maigret visits with a man in a prison on death row. He had in fact been responsible for his arrest, but still had feelings for the young man. Since his time was short and all appeals had failed, the young man gave hints about a murder that had occurred years ago – but without mentioning names. This set Inspector Maigret off on a quest as to who the victim might have been. His investigation leads him to a small local bar located...more
Harry Squires
The Bar on the Seine is both my first venture into mystery novels/stories and my first acquaintance with the writing of Georges Simenon, and I believe that I will be returning to both in no time at all. Hard-boiled and entertaining, this short work is at different times insightful, humorous, suspenseful, and somber. What makes it especially good for a quick read, and what I hope will be characteristic of the author's work in this genre, is the decidedly nonliterary prose. Doled out in small snip...more
Dvora
I've read many of the Inspector Maigret novels. I keep thinking I've read most of what's been translated into English, but each time I look on Amazon, I find one or two that are new to me (usually used copies). I have the Michael Gambon tv series and have watched it many times so recently I bought and watched four volumes (40 eipsodes!) of the French Maigret series with Bruno Cremer. (They're wonderful.)

I thought it would be fun to see how the Cremer film version I had recently watched compared...more
Karen
I couldn't guess where this book was going next. Oddly tranquil for a murder mystery. Made me want to while away an afternoon in a Parisian cafe, though I wouldn't order Pernot. (Thanks for the loan, Cindy!)
Hans
Maigret avoids a holiday trip by trailing after a hint of a cold case only to(view spoiler).

I really enjoy the way that Simenon opens and closes these volumes. The middle sections certainly have their many pleasures, but Simenon is great with setting the scene and kicking Maigret into motion, as well as, showing us the human toll that weighs on Maigret's soul at the end of the journey.
Mikee
"This is the first mention of the Maigrets' summer holidays in Alsace, at her sister's.

Another interesting Maigret, showing the humanity of the Inspector. A bit of a complex plot, but quite believable. A slaying -- two really -- but one doesn't count. The usual suspects. etc.

Some time toward the end, Maigret espouses what I call The Maigret Method. whereby investigations are divided into two phases. The first consists of immersion and poking around in the atmosphere of the crime -- the people, w...more
Deanna Knippling
Michelle
Quirky detective novel by one of the most well known (if not profilic - 200+ novels) crime writers of all time. Written in 1932, this is one of Simenon's novels featuring the ever popular detective Maigret. Not many fictional characters garner their own real life statue, then again, unlike Maigret most fictional characters do not have 75 books written about them. There are no shocking twists or turns here and the book is short. But it is fun and the writing is lively and it's a great peek into a...more
Paula
"Numa solarenga tarde de Verão parisiense, Maigret está a braços com uma missão infeliz. Ele vai à cela de um jovem prisioneiro – Lenoir – para o informar de que será executado de madrugada. Maigret simpatiza com Lenoir, apesar de este o ter tentado alvejar quando o prendeu há três meses, mas ele tem uma surpresa na manga…
Lenoir tem uma história para contar, sobre um homicídio que testemunhou anos antes, e um assassino para acusar. Maigret só terá de se dirigir à Taberna dos Dois Vinténs, nas ma...more
Jason
A relatively short and enjoyable police procedural. Inspector Maigret is working on a six-year old murder when another death takes place. He unravels the hidden secrets of a bourgeois group of friends who all like to relax at the same rustic bar on the Seine outside Paris. FWIW, the Kindle edition is formatted terribly but the actual Penguin version is physically a nice volume -- almost enough to make you want to read more in the series regardless of the content.
Mia
Detective stories are not my thing, but since Simenon is so well liked, and a favorite of many (Henry miller, etc) I wanted to give him a shot. Maybe a different title would have been better to start with, but there's not too much in print in inexpensive translations. Slim though it is, I'm just not interested in finishing. Weird premise of frequenting a bar out in the woods. My suspended disbelief got hung up.
Jason Paulios
This is probably the 7th Maigret mystery I've read and they are starting to be a bit boring. The endings are always quite interesting though so that keeps pushing me on to trying another. I do like the style, very sparse but focused on character emotions and the true reasons for a crime. I also like the Paris references and that all the police drink on the job...makes me a bit wistful for a glass of beer at noon.
Stacy
Perfect day off of work book to read - The Bar on the Seine. It was short, old-fashioned, entertaining. Set in France during the early 1900's, it is one of the early Inspector Maigret mysteries. A convict set to die gives Maigret evidence regarding a cold case. How he solves the case gives you insight into the character and shows off various parts of the Paris social scene.
Wendy
Very short and sweet. A little difficult to read due to the fact that it is translated from French. A random sentence will be said and you are not sure who said it where and when. I guess you would get to know Inspector Maigret a bit better if you were able to read all of the many Maigret mysteries. But the book was so short that you didn't get to know him very well.
Richard Epstein
Simenon wrote about 425 books, about 80 of which are Maigrets. This is one of them. It is in no particularly way distinguishable from any of the others. Mysteriously, this does not make it a bad book.
Raymond Fraser
Readable, but an early Simenon, when he was 27, and a bad translation to boot. So not up to his usual very high standard. I've read almost all his Maigret novels and quite a few of his "psychogical" novels, and am a big fan -- he's a great writer, an amazing talent.
Ken
A death row inmate drops a last-minute hint to the inspector about an unsolved murder that happened six years ago. Maigret follows up on the meager hint and finds himself in the middle of a web of trysts, blackmail and murder.

4 STARS
tim
This a plane-ride book for French speakers. A well know detective solves a mystery among the new Parisian middle class who weekend along the rural Seine. Striking how current it reads for something from the 30's.
John Marsh
This was my favorite of the recent Simenon books I read: Simenon evokes a mood and a place, with all the personalities that inhabit it and the conflicts and secret loves between them.
Jc
Another fun romp around Paris with Inspector Maigret. As often occurs, Maigret doesn't as much go out to conduct an investigation as a chance crime just sort of drifts towards him.
Liz Gallagher
Interesting and uncomplicated. Pretty straight forward detective story without lots of peripheral action, characters or description. Quick read. Anxious to read more by Simeon.
Ero
Elegant writing and surprisingly placid plotting, for a murder mystery. Compelling, mostly because of the surprisingly soft cadence of simple declarative sentences.
  • Cop Killer (Martin Beck #9)
  • The Three Evangelists (Three Evangelists, #1)
  • Ad occhi chiusi
  • Il centravanti è stato assassinato verso sera
  • King's Ransom (87th Precinct #10)
  • The Patience of the Spider (Inspector Montalbano, #8)
  • Total Chaos
  • A Guilty Thing Surprised (Inspector Wexford, #5)
Simenon was one of the most prolific writers of the twentieth century, capable of writing 60 to 80 pages per day. His oeuvre includes nearly 200 novels, over 150 novellas, several autobiographical works, numerous articles, and scores of pulp novels written under more than two dozen pseudonyms. Altogether, about 550 million copies of his works have been printed.

He is best known, however, for his 75...more
More about Georges Simenon...
The Man Who Watched Trains Go By Dirty Snow The Yellow Dog The Strangers in the House Three Bedrooms in Manhattan