Adrift in the Pacific: Two Years Holiday

Adrift in the Pacific: Two Years Holiday (Extraordinary Voyages #32)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  1,571 ratings  ·  41 reviews
A group of boys find themselves adrift at sea, and after a terrible storm they are cast upon a deserted island, where they must learn to get along together to survive.
Published April 24th 2003 by Fredonia Books (NL) (first published 1888)

To ask other readers questions about Adrift in the Pacific, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adrift in the Pacific

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules VerneAround the World in Eighty Days by Jules VerneJourney to the Center of the Earth by Jules VerneThe Mysterious Island by Jules VerneFrom the Earth to the Moon by Jules Verne
Best Works of Jules Verne
8th out of 20 books — 46 voters
Treasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonRebecca by Daphne du MaurierRobinson Crusoe by Daniel DefoeEcho Beach by Jackie WilliamsIsland of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell
Down by the Sea
155th out of 332 books — 324 voters

More lists with this book...

Rory
I read this when I was 10 years old and I thought it was fantastic. I came across it while on vacation and staying at a relative stranger's house. In hopes of not having to make conversation, I scanned a bookshelf for anything that seemed to have been published for children. This was obviously an adventure story (never my fave genre) but it was 1. my only option and 2. by an author I already recognized as "one of those important ones." I read it in one long sitting and it veritably transported m...more
Juna
I hate how this book isn't popular enough. My teacher recommended it to me when I was about eleven and I finished it in two days. I found it really interesting. It's one of the few Jules Verne books I could actually finish. It has the typical Jules Verne descriptions and as usual Verne "predicts" the future with "parasailing" and other inventions not present at the time. I would recommend this book to readers who enjoyed William Golding's Lord of the Flies and Daniel Defoe's Robinson Crusoe. I w...more
Elena
Soy una gran fanática de los clásicos pero no suelo leer muchos libros de aventura aunque como la sinopsis de este me gustó y siempre quise leer algo de Julio Verne decidí darle una oportunidad y no me arrepiento.

El libro me encantó y pasó a formar parte de mis favoritos, la trama es perfecta para una historia de aventuras y los personajes también, además de que el final del libro me gustó mucho (principalmente por el mensaje que deja Verne al lector: "Lo que conviene que quede en las jóvenes me...more
Jane
This book is also known as Adrift in the Pacific, the title under which I found it at http://www.archive.org/details/americana as a free download. It is almost nonexistent in print form these days, yet it's one I read as a child probably a half dozen times. Why hasn't it stood the test of time with Verne's other books? It's high adventure, the story of 15 school boys, ages 7-15, accidentally set adrift on the first night of school holiday in Auckland and how they survived two years on an island....more
Cielo
Usually, I really like Jules Verne, but I just couldn't get very interested in this book. I felt it was a little slow, especially in the beginning, and not a lot really happened overall. It's a shame, because Jules Verne is one of my favorite authors, but I just wasn't feeling it with this book. And doniphan was really annoying.
Maria M. Elmvang
I had seen a cartoon adaption of this book many years ago, and though I remember very little of it, I do remember that I really liked it, so when I discovered my sister had the book, I thought I'd give it a shot. I love Robinson-stories, and really enjoyed this one too, despite the fact that Jules Verne put much to much morale into the story AND (especially) that he obviously knew next to nothing about New Zealand!!!! He kept writing about the boys were used to hard winters and had learned ice s...more
Sasha
This was my favorite book around when I was 10, and many characters were my imaginary friends that I took around town with me... The adventures were awesome, the characters were very realistic (I loved how close in age we were) and I must admit, my favorite parts were all the bickering and fighting scenes between the good ones and the mean ones. Tee hee. As another reviewer said, this is the only Jules Verne book I breezed through and re-read over a dozen times. I wish it was more popular now! (...more
Realini
Two Years Holiday by Jules Verne

What a magic title- Two Years Holiday. It makes you want to read the book, just for the fun of taking this ride with the protagonists.
Or simply to keep it on your lap, to read when you have a little spare time of your own.
But if you want to read on, this is not about Jules Verne, but about my own ten years holiday… it’s been so long since I have read Jules Verne that I can only speak about the fantasy, the idea suggested by the book.
But is it all that desirable to...more
CatholicBibliophagist
As a contrast to the Swiss Family Robinson, you can't beat Jules Verne's tale of a group of boys accidentally cast away on a desert island for ingenuity and realism.

I enjoyed reading about how the boys set up and managed their small society. (Naturally there is some conflict between the English boys and the French ones.) This is a great books for boys -- clever inventions, hunting and shooting, a wonderful cave dwelling, and taking responsibility for one's actions.

And pirates!
Johan
My daughter had to read this book for her school. I read it to, so we could discuss it. She said: it is difficult to get into it but at the end you read it faster, which is true. An interesting little story! And a happy end.
Aika Arakawa
1: England 4/30 25 min.
Two year's vacation 5/1 20 min. 5/7 40 min.
2: New Zealand, ship, criminal, waves, survive, telescope, sink
3: b. interesting
4: b. better than usual
5: The strong points is two boys helped a woman lying by the tree. The boys landed the raft and ran to her. She was still alive. She looked like an old woman because she was very tired. Boys gave something to drink of water and some foods, she began to speak and got energy little by little. Helping people is very important and g...more
Isil

Küçükken okumamışım ben bunu. Tesadüfen çok tatlı bir kopyası geçti elime. T.Tan'a bu güzel kokulu kitap için teşekkür ederim..

Ah o ne tatlı kitap, ne şirin! Tam 623 sayfaydı ama su gibi aktı geçti. Sayfalar da küçüktü ama olsun.. 9-13 yaş arasında bir avuç oğlanın tek başlarına bir tekneyle Yeni Zelanda'dan bilmeyerek açılıp, denizin ortasında kaybolup ıssız bir adaya düşmeleri hikayemiz. Orada bir koloni kuruyorlar. Avcılık yaparak besleniyorlar ve büyük...more
sabisteb
Auckland, Australien, 14. Februar 1860. 14 Jungen aus vier Altersklassen des angesehenen Chairman Instituts, wollten in den Sommerferien, als Belohnung für gute Leistungen, einen Segelturn machen und ganz Neuseeland umsegeln. Am Tag vor der Abreise dürfen die Jungen bereits an Bord des Schoners Sloughi übernachten, während sich die Mannschaft noch eine Nacht an Land amüsiert, nur der zwölfjährige, schwarze Schiffsjunge Moko bleibt an Bord. Nachts jedoch lösen sich die Haltetaue, und als die Jung...more
Whitepixels
The first "serious" book I have ever read (back when I was about 9-10 years old), and the one that made me love reading. Strange how it is more or less unknown - I sort of assumed that most people had read it in their childhood. Well, maybe in France...

In the novel, several schoolchildren (about 10-15 years old) end up on a deserted island. They go through many adventures in their struggle for survival, and even if they have their share of disagreements, they stick together (unlike the kids in L...more
Takenari
Feb 11, 2014 Takenari is currently reading it
Reading the French version on my iPhone. It's one of the most popular Verne books in Japan but I see not so much anywhere else. Has a catchier title that caught on: Record of 15 Shipwrecked Boys. Very Straight forward.
But really to see it positioned below Le Capitaine de Quinze Ans, Les enfants du Capitaine Grant, or Cinq semaines en ballon is surprising since none of them are well known in Japan. I started counting how many Japanese translations there were of the book but soon gave up. More tha...more
Yupa
Uno dei libri che ha ispirato il "Signore delle Mosche".
Tanto potente è il capolavoro di Golding quanto debole e ridicolo questo volume di Verne, la cui poca luce di cui splende è tutta derivata dal primo, e a posteriori.
Dichiarata versione adolescenziale del Robinson di Defoe, "Due anni di vacanze" ci mostra un branco di ragazzini che, naufragati su un'isola, riescono in quattro e quattr'otto, come nulla fosse, a costruire una loro piccola, democratica, morale civiltà.
E ovviamente l'autore n...more
Suzanne
Great read.
The book follows the story of 15 boys lost on an island in the south pacific.
The accurate descriptions and the utopic writhing make you wish you were ther.
On the negative side, jules verne's racisme/misogynisme sometimes shows through the story, spoiling the lightness of the read.
Matt
I read this book way back when I was as old as the boys stranded on the island (10-14) and I absolutely loved it.
I re-read it today only to find that the island is much smaller now, the characters shallower and the story thinner. I would give it only 3 stars today, but that would be a little unfair. I'm way past the expected reading age now.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Wafa
Jul 06, 2014 Wafa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-be-reviewed
it was mentioned in the unbearable lightness of being by kundera
Cynthia Ocampo quijano
Es muy lindo c: y las ultimas paginas ni hablar...
Bea
it's truth, first time i struggled with reading this book. of course it must be, for a school. then i realized how much i enjoyed it and second time i read it in few weeks, not able to do anything else in my free time, curious what will happen next and how it will end. i think it's just author's skill to write like this. i must say i enjoyed every part of this book, there wasn't a moment without meaning. i love this book. anybody can get it like i recommend it... for anybody.
Georgy_kovacs
Dos A#os de Vacaciones (Se#ores, por favor usen la tilde que el mensaje parece un reporte desde una playa nudista) es - junto con Miguel Strogoff: El Correo del Zar, uno de los 2 libros que marcaron mi ni#ez para siempre. Me ense#aron que el placer de leer es inigualable. El libro es una joya y unos de los primeros libros que deberian caer en manos infantiles cuanto antes mejor.
Danics
This was not the first Jules Verne book I've read, but for sure the longest one. The narrative has some thrilling moments but through his accurate descriptions, Verne manages to transport us to the set of his stories. The book can be a bit dull in some parts, but overall, the story is quite good.
Vasia
I had a hard time finishing this one,most of the time I was feeling bored. You were expecting what will happen next and everything end up with a 'happy end'. I think If I read this in a younger age I would appreciate it more...
Phyllis
What an interesting book. My dad recommended it, it's very obscure and most kids haven't heard of it. I also had my almost-10-year-old read it and he loved it. A little like Lord of the Flies but WAY less crazy and wacky.
Jorge
Un libro que siempre recordaré, lo leí siendo niño y todavía lo tengo en la memoria. Algún día lo releeré.

Muchas aventuras, para ser de Julio Verne creo que debería ser más famoso.
Mauricio Díaz
Un grupo de niños en Australia, accidentalmente, quedan a la deriva y naufragan en el Océano Pacífico, sobreviviendo durante dos años en una isla.
Una aventura entretenida.
Evelin
Už veľmi dávno som čítala túto Verneovku, ako povinné čítanie na ZŠ a kniha sa mi veľmi páčila, chystám sa aj na ďalšie z diel tohto autora, určite odporúčam 8)
JayBee
Jan 18, 2011 JayBee marked it as couldn-t-finish  ·  review of another edition
So far, so good... seems like a good Jules Verne that has been forgotten... the copy from the library i have was last checked out in 1993 (it is currently 2010)...
Daniel Ochoa
Todo niño debe leer a Verne, y no es que los adultos no lo vayan a disfrutar, pero si esto hubiera llegado a mis manos hace 20 años me hubiera vuelto loco.
  • The Treasure Of Silver Lake
  • A Journey To The Center Of The Earth (Troll Illustrated Classics)
  • Cuore
  • Il corsaro nero
  • Nobody's Boy
  • Eclipse of the Crescent Moon
  • The Queen's Necklace
  • Le Capitaine Fracasse
  • Castelul fetei in alb (Cireşarii, #2)
  • A kőszivű ember fiai
  • Chroniques Italiennes
  • Histoires inédites du Petit Nicolas (Histoires Inedites Du Petit Nicolas, #1)
  • Le Bossu
  • The Black Swan
  • The Crystal Stopper (Arsène Lupin, #7)
  • Ninety-Three
Jules Gabriel Verne was a French author who pioneered the genre of science-fiction. He is best known for his novels "Journey to the Center of the Earth" (1864), "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" (1870), and "Around the World in Eighty Days" (1873).

Verne wrote about space, air, and underwater travel before navigable aircraft and practical submarines were invented, and before any means of spa...more
More about Jules Verne...
Around the World in Eighty Days Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (Extraordinary Voyages, #6) Journey to the Center of the Earth (Extraordinary Voyages, #3) The Mysterious Island  From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4)