Start by marking “Fantastic Mr. Fox” as Want to Read:
Fantastic Mr. Fox

Fantastic Mr. Fox

4.02  ·  Rating Details ·  70,762 Ratings  ·  2,635 Reviews
In the tradition of The Adventures of Peter Rabbit, this is a "garden tale" of farmer versus vermin, or vice versa. The farmers in this case are a vaguely criminal team of three stooges: "Boggis and Bunce and Bean / One fat, one short, one lean. / These horrible crooks / So different in looks / Were nonetheless equally mean." Whatever their prowess as poultry farmers, with ...more
Published 1970 by Alfred A. Knopf

To ask other readers questions about Fantastic Mr. Fox, please sign up.

Athul Domichen It's been adapted to a stop-motion animation movie by Wes Anderson with voice overs from George Clooney, Meryl Streep, Bil Murray etc. The adaptation…moreIt's been adapted to a stop-motion animation movie by Wes Anderson with voice overs from George Clooney, Meryl Streep, Bil Murray etc. The adaptation and the additions are really good. A greatly entertaining movie. Watch it. (less)

karen
May 19, 2012 karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GREG!!!

greg's birthday is today, so i am floating this now to remind you that you still have time to shower him with presents!

it is greg's birthday!!! and as a treat for him, i am going to create a book review in which i use plenty of pictures of foxes!!! they are his favorite!!

first, a sleepy fox:

smiling fox:

stretch
Patrick
Aug 10, 2014 Patrick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My impressions in a single word: Meh.

I recently read this to my little boy, and I have to admit I really didn't care for it.

Don't get me wrong. It's not a *terrible* book. There's nothing hideously wrong with it. (See my review of Esio Trot, if you want to see me go off on a Dahl book I hated.)

But there wasn't much right with it either. The simple fact was Mr. Fox was not, in fact, very fantastic.

The plot centers around some farmers that try to kill Mr. Fox. They try to dig him out of his ho
Alex
Sep 16, 2016 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the youth
Shelves: 2016
This book encourages stealing, underage drinking, and living in an underground bunker so you never have to face sunlight again. Recommended!
Afshar
Apr 21, 2015 Afshar rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
این کتاب را برای آشنایی با دنیای کتابهای کودکان امروزی خواندم
رولد دال نویسنده محبوبی است ولی گاهی نمیتوانستم جلوی خودمو بگیرم و ایشان را با هانس کریستن آندرسن نویسنده محبوب دوران کودکی ام مقایسه نکنم
راستش از زمین تا آسمان فرق می کنند
شاید داستان های آندرسن مختص کودکان نباشد چون همین الان هم از خواندن قصه هایش لذت میبرم
؛)
کدام قصه را یارای برابری با جوجه اردک زشت و لباس نو امپراطور و ...است
البته در مورد لباس نو امپراطور می گویند که دزدی ادبی از مندیل خیال شیخ بهایی میباشد
خدایی خیلی شبیه هم هستند
Greg
Jul 12, 2009 Greg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-kids, foxes
Mr. Fox steals food nightly from one of the three disgusting and gluttonous farmers who have more then they need. The farmers get mad and set out to kill Mr. Fox. They have a hard time catching him, they destroy the earth trying to get him out of his hole, they waste many man-hours by making their workers surround the woods with weapons and ultimately Mr. Fox with the help of other underground animals find another way into the farms and go about their stealing in peace while the farmers sit endl ...more
Tijana
"Fantastični gospodin Lisac" je možda najbolja početna tačka za upoznavanje dečjih čitalaca s Dalom: nema grozomornih detalja, nema mučnih nagoveštaja, a humor ipak samo pršti, i knjiga (pripovetka, u suštini) oblikovana je kao avion, svrsishodno i aerodinamično. I na kraju lisice nadmudre zle lovce (nije da smo iznenađeni).
Cait (Paper Fury)
I assume you're supposed to read these when you're...eight? Or ten? BUT WHATEVER. I read all of the Roald Dahl books when I was 14-15 and this is the only one I could never find. So now I have consumed it and I feel like my life is very complete with Roald Dahlness.

(Plus I had seen the movie years ago. There is a lot more in the movie than in the book. I definitely saw Mr. Fox as George Clooney though. Just sayin'.)
description

Aaaanyway. This is not my favourite Roald Dahl book (I'll always pick Matilda or
Trish
Jan 04, 2016 Trish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This morning two new Roald Dahl books arrived and this one was an instant must-read. From a young age on I always adored stories about forest animals (which is why it's even more incomprehensible and outrageous that I have missed out on such a classic until now)!

The book is very thin but the story inside is full of wit, fun and excitement!

Roald Dahl tells the story of Mr. Fox, his wife and children and their tranquil life. However, there are 3 farmers with very bad intentions and since Mr. Fox i
Stacey (prettybooks)
This is a short blogpost taken from Thoughts on Roald Dahl: The BFG, The Witches & Fantastic Mr. Fox.

I wasn't sure why, but Fantastic Mr. Fox felt the most festive to me, so I thought it'd be appropriate as my sixth Roald Dahl read. Now that I've read it, it's a little festive (gathering together with friends for a celebratory meal), but it's most likely because the film adaptation seems to always be on around Christmas – and now I cannot wait to watch it. Fantastic Mr. Fox is a charming, qu
Salymar
― Roald Dahl, Fantastic Mr. Fox

This short story reminded me of the The Three little pigs. The three little pigs here in the story are the farmers except that they are dumber, clumsier and stinkier. haha!
Ferdy
Loved it, mostly because of the nostalgia but even with that it was still a really fun read.
Kali Wade
Feb 11, 2017 Kali Wade rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just needed a taste of childhood again :)
Karla
Feb 29, 2012 Karla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even though Roald Dahl is one of my absolute favorite childhood authors, there are some titles that I've never read. This was one was absolutely fantastic. Sure, it promotes stealing, but only from bad guys. Like another review notes, so does Robin Hood.

But what I thought was illustrated so vividly here is that the three nasty farmers become obsessed with killing Mr. Fox for stealing their poultry, losing all perspective and sense of proportion. So much so that they take steam shovels to an enti
Jo Woolfardis
[First read:?<2010. 3 stars.
Second read: 3rd April, 2016. 2 stars.]

Read as part of The Infinite Variety Reading Challenge, based on the BBC's Big Read Poll of 2003.

The first time I read this book I was jumping up and down on my friends bed. I was about ten. It was a fun time to be alive. The trials and tribulations of a talking fox were not a new phenomenon to me, but there was a bit of magical whimsy to this particular book that left an impression on me.

It's not a terrible book. It's written
Chaymâa
Oct 03, 2013 Chaymâa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I was reading Fantastic Mr. Fox, I had in mind three colorful bubbles (yes, sometimes I like to tease my ideas):

1. Roald Dahl is amazing.
2. Mr. Fox is indeed Fantastic!
3. And this stupid yet hilarious song:

Seriously Chaymâa?!

Well, as Roald Dahl said in this book :

Arielle Walker
Roald Dahl at his most delightful (with that hint of twisted humour that he does so well). This was the book that started my love of apple cider, though it was a good decade after my first read that I actually got to taste any.
Marcus
Feb 16, 2014 Marcus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, fiction
Read it in one day to my four year old. He was fascinated and wide eyed the entire time. Then, at dinner he called his juice "strong cider" and talked about how it made his mouth and belly burn :).
Sinem
Nov 06, 2015 Sinem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fanyastic Mr Fox filmini defalarca izleyip de ilham kaynağını okumak güzel :)
Tisha
Jan 05, 2017 Tisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roald Dahl is undoubtedly one of my most favorite authors. I never get bored of his stories.
This book was short but full of excitement! Enjoyed it as usual. :D
Tom Knutzen
Mar 17, 2016 Tom Knutzen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first experience reading a book by Roald Dahl, although I've seen several film adaptations of his various books, including the Wes Anderson adaptation of this one (which was excellent, by the way). I watched the Wes Anderson film before reading this book, and my impression of the book was no doubt influenced by my enjoyment of the film.

This was an entertaining childrens' book, witty and funny with humor touching the sensibilities of adults yet remaining appropriate and accessible to
Biena (The Library Mistress)
So, is this book suppose to teach children that it is alright to steal if you'll just be clever enough to run away and outwit your adversaries?
Rimy
Nov 16, 2016 Rimy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Fantastic story
I really enjoyed it with my brother
Jenny
Sep 25, 2016 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5*
Sara Kamjou
Mar 26, 2016 Sara Kamjou rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
کوچولوی درونم حسابی لذت برد و قلقلکش شد ^_^
Книжни Криле
През последните години издателство „Enthusiast” методично запълват някогашната липса на книги от Роалд Дал в България. Това си беше наистина голяма празнина, имайки предвид, че Дал едно от най-големите имена в световната детска литература. Авторът си е извоювал тази слава благодарение на необичайните и непредвидими сюжети, гарнирани с нетипично (и дори на моменти подривно) чувство за хумор. Немалка роля са изиграли и немирните илюстрации на Куентин Блейк, които са запазени и в родните издания. А ...more
Daniel Clausen
I've always been a fan of Roald Dahl books. As an ESL teacher I've had the pleasure of using his books as teaching instruments as well. In the heady days of my graduate program I find myself often turning to kids books for relief. First, there was my favorite, Where the Wild Things Are--which I am happy to say I have copies of in both Japanese and English. Then, there was Maniac Magree. This one was perhaps my favorite because I WAS Maniac Magee growing up. There are others I would like to retur ...more
Saadia Munshi
Jun 30, 2013 Saadia Munshi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic Mr Fox- Roald Dahl

The book centres around Mr Fox, who steals food from three farmers (Boggis, Bunce and Bean) in order to provide for his wife and 4 children. The 3 farmers soon get fed up of Mr Fox and decide to catch him by leaving the farm and camp outside the fox hole. one night Mr fox decides to go and steal some duck from bunce, however as he begins his journey he gets shot in the tail by the farmers.

By this time the farmers are upset as they failed to catch Mr Fox and so bean (
Dana Salman
It was fine. I say 'fine' because it's an awful lot of discription on such a trivial thing. Nothing much happened in the story. It's only mostly all about the foxes breaking into one storage after another and stealing food. What else is there to talk about after that, though? It's not much of a story, not one I would go out of my way to read, though I have read it multiple times when I get hungry because that cider stuff sounds SWEET. But when you think about it, if Roald Dahl had said to himsel ...more
Liam Leftley
Sep 10, 2011 Liam Leftley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic Mr Fox exhibits the very best of Roald Dahl as we see Mr Fox battle against the three mean farmers: Boggis, Bunce and Bean. Initially Mr. Fox has no problem in taking poultry from the farms to feed his family; however, Boggis, Bunce and Bean soon develop a plan that’ll end their fox problem once and for all.

The evil trio plan to dig Mr Fox out of his home and soon recruit all their staff to their mission. However, not to be outdone, the canine simply tunnels underground to each of the
Megan
Dec 26, 2009 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid, fiction, 2009, courier
I love Roald Dahl and tore through his books as a kid, but somehow I missed this one. I saw the previews for the movie, and was completely confused because I'd never heard of this book. As soon as I opened it up I recognized that familiar art style (Quentin Blake, you're the man), and the familiar sort of world that Dahl draws into his books.

This story is very simple. Three farmers have grown weary of the fox who preys upon their livelihoods, and decide to trap him in his burrow until he comes o
i dont get it 24 237 Jan 15, 2017 05:13PM
101 Books to Read...: Fantastic Mr. Fox 6 7 Jul 21, 2016 09:11PM
The Neverlanders: Fantastic Mr. Fox Discussion 2 11 Mar 19, 2016 12:35AM
Around the Year i...: The Fantastic Mr. Fox, by Roald Dahl 8 27 Jan 20, 2016 01:27PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Fantastic Mr Fox by Roald Dahl 1 10 Jun 11, 2015 09:06AM
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Book Review 1- Fantastic Mr. Fox 1 6 Sep 06, 2014 01:22PM
  • The Dragons of Blueland (My Father's Dragon, #3)
  • The Worst Witch All at Sea (Worst Witch, #4)
  • Mercy Watson to the Rescue (Mercy Watson #1)
  • Even More Terrible Tudors (Horrible Histories)
  • The Search for Delicious
  • The Great Paper Caper
  • Henry and Beezus (Henry, #2)
  • The Tale of Samuel Whiskers, or The Roly-Poly Pudding
  • A Necklace of Raindrops and Other Stories
  • Adventures Beyond Nutmouse Hall (Tumtum and Nutmeg #1-3)
  • Fox's Feud (Farthing Wood, #3)
  • Last Term at Malory Towers (Malory Towers, #6)
  • Escape From Warsaw
  • Jacob Two-Two Meets the Hooded Fang
  • More About Paddington (Paddington, #2)
  • Sophie's Tom (Sophie, #2)
  • Scrambled Eggs Super!
  • The Talented Clementine (Clementine, #2)

More about Roald Dahl...

“I understand what you're saying, and your comments are valuable, but I'm gonna ignore your advice.” 685 likes
“Badger: The cuss you are.
Mr. Fox: The cuss am I? Are you cussing with me?”
58 likes